Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Sky Sports GAA Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Brian017

Sky are going to be shooting from the Old Stand in Nowlan Park, as they don't want the viewers to see the damage caused by the storm we had in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Undecided
    Brian017 wrote: »
    Sky are going to be shooting from the Old Stand in Nowlan Park, as they don't want the viewers to see the damage caused by the storm we had in February.

To be honest i wish RTE would reverse the camera's to show the side with the bigger crowd,They do it for the Ladies/Camogie finals in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

No
    Prop Joe wrote: »
    To be honest i wish RTE would reverse the camera's to show the side with the bigger crowd,They do it for the Ladies/Camogie finals in Croker.

Yeah great to hear SKy doing this. TG4 and RTE don't give a damn what it looks like as a spectacle. In fairness to TG4 they have small budget but RTE would have just faced the camera's into the damaged stand.

I love the way Sky actually care how it looks to the viewer thus making the games look as good as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

No
    how long does it take to fix the stand anyway?? happened months ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,851 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

No
    Duggie2012 wrote: »
    how long does it take to fix the stand anyway?? happened months ago now.
    its aparantly a 4 month repair process but you cant use it if its a building site so its being postponed till at least after the game in a couple of weeks
    http://kclr96fm.com/sport/old-stand-roofless-kilkennys-clash-offaly/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

No
    its aparantly a 4 month repair process but you cant use it if its a building site so its being postponed till at least after the game in a couple of weeks
    http://kclr96fm.com/sport/old-stand-roofless-kilkennys-clash-offaly/

4 months just to fix a wind damaged stand, seems a long time. you could build a full stadium in roughly a year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

No
    Joe Brolly really is making a fool of himself on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

No
    and now hes made an embarrassing apology to Rachel Wyse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

No
    iDave wrote: »
    and now hes made an embarrassing apology to Rachel Wyse.

The amount of lads there working in RTE with no background of note at all in GAA, soccer, rugby, yet Brolly decides to pick on Sky's broadcaster Rachel Wyse.

He hardly has an agenda does he?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

No
    Duggie2012 wrote: »
    4 months just to fix a wind damaged stand, seems a long time. you could build a full stadium in roughly a year and a half.

It was an asbestos filled stand and the dmage was substantial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

No
    interesting to see the difference between this (allbeit very small poll) and the one in the independent today...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/sky-get-fans-thumbs-down-over-gaa-payperview-deal-30291241.html

can find how many people they polled though

No
    Thud wrote: »
    interesting to see the difference between this (allbeit very small poll) and the one in the independent today...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=90467151

can find how many people they polled though

The link you posted just leads me to the reply section....

56% are against it according to their poll. I can only imagine their reader demographic is much older than people who voted here and we're all probably a lot more informed.

I read a comment the other day of a woman complaining to a newspaper saying men have spent their whole life watching the gaa. She obviously doesn't realize that we have 27 more championship matches live on tv now compared to 40 years ago. That doesn't include the BBC either. Some people just love a good moan without looking at the facts.

No
    RoyalCelt wrote: »
    The link you posted just leads me to the reply section....
    fixed now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,851 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

No
    <snip>
    I read a comment the other day of a woman complaining to a newspaper saying men have spent their whole life watching the gaa. She obviously doesn't realize that we have 27 more championship matches live on tv now compared to 40 years ago. .
    just in that vein of though, there was a VERY interesting article in the Irish times (which is becoming a welcome pattern for a paper which normally sees U12 reserve schoolboy rugby as more important than a major GAA game) last week which has some gems on how little to no GAA was on the TV until the relatively recent past.
    In 1987, the Munster final between Tipperary and Cork was fixed for Fitzgerald stadium and interest greatly exceeded the 45,000 capacity. For a few giddy weeks, a rumour went around that the GAA were considering allowing the game to be broadcast live. In the end, though, the move was considered too risqué. (edit: and game was NOT shown)

(edit: soccer seemed to be a massive threat after the hype of Italia 90)
    Instead, the 1990s became the period of great transition for the GAA.
    The extraordinary four-game saga between Dublin and Meath in the first round of the Leinster championship arrived with providential timing. The soaring narrative gripped the country and every single championship after that, from the Ulster football renaissance of the early 1990s to the hurling revolution from 1995-1999 seemed to have memorable tales. And by 1994, the games went live on television.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/arrival-of-sky-to-herald-a-new-era-1.1795918

No
    just in that vein of though, there was a VERY interesting article in the Irish times (which is becoming a welcome pattern for a paper which normally sees U12 reserve schoolboy rugby as more important than a major GAA game) last week which has some gems on how little to no GAA was on the TV until the relatively recent past.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/arrival-of-sky-to-herald-a-new-era-1.1795918

I'd say the Irish times don't want to miss out on the extra GAA hype sky is bringing to the fold this year. Good to see but I wouldn't be counting on them for too long for top notch GAA coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

elefant wrote: »
    The amount of lads there working in RTE with no background of note at all in GAA, soccer, rugby, yet Brolly decides to pick on Sky's broadcaster Rachel Wyse.

He hardly has an agenda does he?

Brolly does most of his talking through his fundamental orifice!

Anyone who reads Rachel Wyse's column in Saturday's Irish Independent knows that she is very knowledgeable on a wide spectrum of sports, including socer, Gaelic games, rugby, horse racing.

Now, remind me of the number of sports that Brolly writes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Is there any way to stream sky sports overseas?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No
    curioser wrote: »
    Brolly does most of his talking through his fundamental orifice!

Anyone who reads Rachel Wyse's column in Saturday's Irish Independent knows that she is very knowledgeable on a wide spectrum of sports, including socer, Gaelic games, rugby, horse racing.

Now, remind me of the number of sports that Brolly writes on.

There's way too much pandering to former intercounty players in all facets of GAA anyway if you ask me. There are as many dummies out there with All Ireland medals as there are geniuses.

In Brolly's case, it's pretty telling that he has a problem with the International Showjumper rather than the International Rugby Player - wonder what the difference is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I'd say the Irish times don't want to miss out on the extra GAA hype sky is bringing to the fold this year. Good to see but I wouldn't be counting on them for too long for top notch GAA coverage.
    :confused:

I've been a regular Irish Times reader for the last 14 years. In that time their GAA coverage has always been top notch. Keith Duggan and Malachy Clerkin are regarded among the top sports writers in the country, not just GAA writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

:confused:

I've been a regular Irish Times reader for the last 14 years. In that time their GAA coverage has always been top notch. Keith Duggan and Malachy Clerkin are regarded among the top sports writers in the country, not just GAA writers.

+1

John O'Keeffe's column on a Saturday is generally a good read. Insightful and fair without any of the cliched nonsense you get from some of the more higher profile pundits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Undecided
    Re the Irish Times, Dara O'Se's column on a Wednesday is top notch also. Sean Moran is ok.

However, Gavin Cummiskey should not be let into a GAA ground, never mind report on a match. He is a rugby hack by trade in fairness. I assume he doesn't get to pick and choose his assignments at this stage. Ian O'Riordan is ok, but his primary sport is athletics. They could do with one or maybe two more primary GAA reporters, they have enough good GAA analysts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

keane2097 wrote: »
    There's way too much pandering to former intercounty players in all facets of GAA anyway if you ask me. There are as many dummies out there with All Ireland medals as there are geniuses.

In Brolly's case, it's pretty telling that he has a problem with the International Showjumper rather than the International Rugby Player - wonder what the difference is.

I think it's time for the 'Brolly is a Tool' banner

Can anyone find it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No
    I think it's time for the 'Brolly is a Tool' banner

Can anyone find it ?

He's literally been told to shut up by RTE. A new low even for that auld creep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

keane2097 wrote: »

I agree with that. I get the logic behind having former players on the likes of the Sunday Game. But a lot of them are atrocious communicators. They haven't got the first clue about how to break down a game and talk about it in a way that is informative, interesting and entertaining for the viewer. It's all about them and whether or not they "enjoyed the game. Who the fcuk cares if they enjoyed the game? :rolleyes:

They also bring far to many personal grudges and biases to the table. That makes them incapable of any sort of impartiality, or even fair commentary. There are far too many axes being grinded. I like Michael Lyster and Des Cahill in general. But they are far too deferential to former players. They rarely pull them when they go off on their rants & rambling tangents.

I'd love to see more of a balance between former players/managers and "proper" journalists. It would be great to see someone like Malachy Clerkin get more time on the telly box, in addition to all these former liginds of the game. Getting the viewpoint of a former player is great, but so is the viewpoint of someone who is a little more removed from the scene, is able to see things clearer and talk about them better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Have to say I nearly always used to enjoy the RTE soccer punditry although lately its become a bit stale but I like the team of foolish presenter who knows sweet f.a. really, the angry hack who disagrees with everything, the old ex pro who knows his stuff and then either another old ex pro who's in the know or a recently retired ex pro who has knowledge. Its not always great punditry but its always entertaining. I would often just turn on to the HT and post match analysis as almost inevitably the soccer was dire. Maybe a bit of this would be good for the GAA as the match is usually already entertaining and sometimes hearing the experts giving out at HT is just a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

salmocab wrote: »
    Have to say I nearly always used to enjoy the RTE soccer punditry although lately its become a bit stale but I like the team of foolish presenter who knows sweet f.a. really, the angry hack who disagrees with everything, the old ex pro who knows his stuff and then either another old ex pro who's in the know or a recently retired ex pro who has knowledge. Its not always great punditry but its always entertaining. I would often just turn on to the HT and post match analysis as almost inevitably the soccer was dire. Maybe a bit of this would be good for the GAA as the match is usually already entertaining and sometimes hearing the experts giving out at HT is just a pain in the hole.

But that charade gets very tiresome very quickly.
    At the end of the day people are more likely to appreciate honest analysis over a dog and pony show

No
    salmocab wrote: »
    foolish presenter who knows sweet f.a. really

Bill O has been doing the soccer for 20-30years surely he knows a bit about the game by now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Thud wrote: »
    Bill O has been doing the soccer for 20-30years surely he knows a bit about the game by now

ah I know but I think its part of the show that he asks the questions sometimes playing a bit dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

The ONLY concern anyone can have regarding Sky is that people who dont have Sky Sports will now have to pay for it. Brolly stepped over the line by actually attacking their ability to produce a show (The guys that made darts and speedway half interesting to some people).

He's really let himself down here. It reminds me of his tirade after Sean Cavanaghs cynical foul against Monaghan last yr, but at least that point had a lot of merit. By stepping over the line he's brandished the whole of RTE as sore, with some sympathy heading Skys direction before they've even gone to air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Undecided
    Just to point out that Sky could always launch a new FTA channel on Saorview tomorrow, they get about €500million from Irish viewers each year and its unlike that an Irish version of PickTV on Saorview, UPC and Sky would dent that massive revenue they receive from their Irish customers on an annual basis.

In turn Sky could then provide pay access to Ex-Pats living in Britain.

Also am I right in thinking that Sky are pretty much giving us the same commentators that TV3 had?

Advertisement