Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Sky Sports GAA Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

No
    Elmo wrote: »
    Just to point out that Sky could always launch a new FTA channel on Saorview tomorrow, they get about €500million from Irish viewers each year and its unlike that an Irish version of PickTV on Saorview, UPC and Sky would dent that massive revenue they receive from their Irish customers on an annual basis.

Why on earth would they want to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Undecided
    Why on earth would they want to do that?

Because the GAA might want to keep their Game's free to an Irish audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Because the GAA might want to keep their Game's free to an Irish audience.

Then they could have stipulated that in their tenders, and see who decides to bid.

Undecided
    Then they could have stipulated that in their tenders, and see who decides to bid.

If they GAA though a second about it they could have insisted. Pick provide coverage of some sports including Rugby Union and Cricket. Pick is largely used as a vehicle to market other pay Sky TV channels.

Sky are well funded and could easily bid under such a tendering process. The GAA did said it was about coverage, putting behind a paywall does reduce that coverage.

Sky would see a return through Advertising Revenues.

Sky are well funded and could easily bid under such a tendering process. The GAA did said it was about coverage, putting behind a paywall does reduce that coverage.

Sky would see a return through Advertising Revenues.

Exclusivity (preferably at competition level, if not at game level) on their premium sports channels is their preferred method of operation.
    You are coming across as telling Sky how they should change their highly successful business model.

• Advertisement

Undecided
    Exclusivity (preferably at competition level, if not at game level) on their premium sports channels is their preferred method of operation.
    You are coming across as telling Sky how they should change their highly successful business model.

No, I am actually saying that the GAA could have sold the rights to Sky and continued to provide FTA rights around the Island of Ireland, while having those same games feature of Sky Sport 3 as part of their highly successful Pay TV service, with Sky continuing to hold exclusive rights to those games in Britain and Ireland.

Pick TV providing coverage on an FTA basis on FreeView in NI and Saorview in ROI would not dent the huge amount of pay TV subscribers in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

No
    RTE didn't bother their arses covering the Tyrone/Down match live on Sat evening.

shamco wrote: »
    RTE didn't bother their arses covering the Tyrone/Down match live on Sat evening.

As I understand it is wasn't available to be covered by either the BBC or RTE.
    Its a rotten enough TV Deal that the rights to show the first game don't automatically transfer to any replay, but we are where we are.

(NET2 wouldn't have been able to show it at that time anyway with CL Final coverage but I suppose a 4.30 start could have been organised if necessary).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

No
    The GAA piece is on the Sky Sports ticker the last while it's only one piece about James Moran saying refs should be semi pro.......

I for one am looking forward to seeing what Sky produce, is their rights for 3yrs or more? I think they will have good coverage and if it takes off then it might be the future for broadcasting GAA.

RTEs coverage is ****e at the best of times it's tired and boring they need to big up the sport like Sky does for the EPL I know sometimes it's OTT but it worked to develop the EPL into a massive league watched by a lot of people.

The GAA needs to move forward and I think this deal and hopefully Sky's quality (hyped) coverage is a good stepping stone. Too many GAA heads are stuck in the Stone Age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

No
    Bit disappointed there was no coverage on SSN over the weekend of Cork/Waterford. First big hurling match of the year between two geographical regions that wouldn't have names that unfamiliar to be people in the UK, Cork in particular.

• Advertisement

No
    iDave wrote: »
    Bit disappointed there was no coverage on SSN over the weekend of Cork/Waterford. First big hurling match of the year between two geographical regions that wouldn't have names that unfamiliar to be people in the UK, Cork in particular.

Yeah it was strange it wasn't on it I really hope they don't give minuscule reports on matches. I hope they big it up. Hurling is an exciting sport it needs exciting coverage for it to get the recognition and development it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Undecided
    Sky wont be ramping up much i'm afraid,They are only paying lip service to it,C'mon there biggest ploy could of been the London v Galway match for the UK market but didnt bother doing anything for it.

I'd expect them to market the All Ireland finals hard but that's an easy sell even to new viewers,Everyone likes a big occasion.

Sky Sports News will be all World Cup till the middle of July and with the Prem Lge starting exactly a month later there wont be much coverage of GAA.

The highlights show midweek will be pretty much what TG4 show on a Monday.No analysis,Just highlights.

RTE will always be the market leader for GAA coverage,Yes they could up there game but they do a decent job as it is.

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Sky wont be ramping up much i'm afraid,They are only paying lip service to it,C'mon there biggest ploy could of been the London v Galway match for the UK market but didnt bother doing anything for it.

I'd expect them to market the All Ireland finals hard but that's an easy sell even to new viewers,Everyone likes a big occasion.

Sky Sports News will be all World Cup till the middle of July and with the Prem Lge starting exactly a month later there wont be much coverage of GAA.

The highlights show midweek will be pretty much what TG4 show on a Monday.No analysis,Just highlights.

RTE will always be the market leader for GAA coverage,Yes they could up there game but they do a decent job as it is.

Yep, would expect it to be similar to Greyhound Racing, Speedway and Netball - sports which they show many hours of live coverage but rarely get more than text mentions at the bottom of the screen on SSN, very few interviews or previews or reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

obezyana wrote: »
    RTEs coverage is ****e at the best of times it's tired and boring they need to big up the sport like Sky does for the EPL I know sometimes it's OTT but it worked to develop the EPL into a massive league watched by a lot of people.

The GAA needs to move forward and I think this deal and hopefully Sky's quality (hyped) coverage is a good stepping stone. Too many GAA heads are stuck in the Stone Age.

I think the GAA is a handy space filler for Sky during the quiet Summer period but I think people will be disappointed if they are expecting blanket coverage and analysis like they give to the Premier League. Already they have said that their midweek show will just be highlights with no analysis at all.

The Premier League starts up again in mid-August so from early August on their focus will be very much back on that.

No
    Maybe just maybe if their broadcasts are a success they will make a big deal of it.

I do agree it will be a filler during the summer well not this summer as the World Cup is on but hopefully they will do it justice. Tv3s coverage was brutal and RTEs is the same old same old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I'd imagine Sky's interest comes from wanting to keep Irish subscription holders from cancelling their account over the summer months. There may be a danger of these customers not renewing their subscription or perhaps availing of a competitors service instead.

Heineken Cup matches involving Irish teams against French teams get the same viewing figures on Sky Sports as English teams get against the same opposition. So Ireland is obviously a valued source of revenue.

Meanwhile, on RTÉ, only the biggest of Ireland rugby and Republic of Ireland soccer internationals can compete with GAA inter-county for audience. BSkyB are obviously aware of this. From their point of view they get a novelty summer filler that will help maintain their Irish audience share, maybe even increase it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

No
    No, I am actually saying that the GAA could have sold the rights to Sky and continued to provide FTA rights around the Island of Ireland, while having those same games feature of Sky Sport 3 as part of their highly successful Pay TV service, with Sky continuing to hold exclusive rights to those games in Britain and Ireland.

Pick TV providing coverage on an FTA basis on FreeView in NI and Saorview in ROI would not dent the huge amount of pay TV subscribers in Ireland.
    On a point of imformation theres no free to air tv in Ireland. You have to pay €160 Tubridy tax tax to have a tv in the republic,and in the north theres also a licence fee,and in alot of places you need a satellite subscription to watch rte and tv3.Just sayin.

Undecided
    I'd imagine Sky's interest comes from wanting to keep Irish subscription holders from cancelling their account over the summer months. There may be a danger of these customers not renewing their subscription or perhaps availing of a competitors service instead.

Heineken Cup matches involving Irish teams against French teams get the same viewing figures on Sky Sports as English teams get against the same opposition. So Ireland is obviously a valued source of revenue.

Meanwhile, on RTÉ, only the biggest of Ireland rugby and Republic of Ireland soccer internationals can compete with GAA inter-county for audience. BSkyB are obviously aware of this. From their point of view they get a novelty summer filler that will help maintain their Irish audience share, maybe even increase it.

That's why I think they will go after Champions and Europa Leagues for the Irish Market.

No
    That's why I think they will go after Champions and Europa Leagues for the Irish Market.

Sky have Champions league rights already.

Undecided
    obezyana wrote: »
    Sky have Champions league rights already.

2015 onwards Sky have lost them to BT in UK, Irish right yet to be announced.

• Advertisement

No
    2015 onwards Sky have lost them to BT in UK, Irish right yet to be announced.

Lovely so they have more income to spend on GAA coverage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Undecided
    harpsman wrote: »
    On a point of imformation theres no free to air tv in Ireland. You have to pay €160 Tubridy tax tax to have a tv in the republic,and in the north theres also a licence fee,and in alot of places you need a satellite subscription to watch rte and tv3.Just sayin.

You need a licence regardless of what you are watching.

You shouldnt need to pay a foreign subscription channel to watch an Irish native amateur sport.

Two very different things, just sayin.

Another point of information, there are feck all places (perhaps caves) where you cannot get RTE terrestrially. RTE is available to 98% of the Island. Its also FTA on satellite @ 9E.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

No
    STB wrote: »

You shouldnt need to pay a foreign subscription channel to watch an Irish native amateur sport.

Another point of information, there are feck all places (perhaps caves) where you cannot get RTE terrestrially. RTE is available to 98% of the Island. Its also FTA on satellite @ 9E.

Can you read my opening post please where I said this will not be a discussion on whether the deal should or shouldn't have been done. GO to the other thread if you want to discuss that.

No

Good, so we're agreed that its not free to watch GAA on RTE.

Undecided

The service comes in the clear, you do not have to decrypt the signal. Though there have been suggestions in the past both here and in the UK to encrypt all signals, though it never took off.

You don't just pay for Sport or RTÉ through the licence fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Undecided
    RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Can you read my opening post please where I said this will not be a discussion on whether the deal should or shouldn't have been done. GO to the other thread if you want to discuss that.

No. Getting a little above yourself, aren't you ?

I was responding to incorrect comments made on this thread. You are not a moderator, nor will you curb this thread from freedom to speak.

You opened a thread because you didn't like the comments in the others in order to give it your own positive spin. I do not suffer Sky apologists gladly.

We are agreed that you need a licence regardless of what you are watching on the television, including Sky.

If people then want to pay a subscription only company like Sky on top of this, then that is their own prerogative and private arrangement.

People not having a choice to view GAA without being on a subscription service is a completely different issue.

Don't try to deliberately confuse completely the matters. I didn't come down with the last shower you know. :)

No
    No. Getting a little above yourself, aren't you ?

I was responding to incorrect comments made on this thread. You are not a moderator, nor will you curb this thread from freedom to speak.

You opened a thread because you didn't like the comments in the others in order to give it your own positive spin. I do not suffer Sky apologists gladly.

We are agreed that you need a licence regardless of what you are watching on the television, including Sky.

If people then want to pay a subscription only company like Sky on top of this, then that is their own prerogative and private arrangement.

People not having a choice to view GAA without being on a subscription service is a completely different issue.

Don't try to deliberately confuse completely the matters. I didn't come down with the last shower you know. :)

Now you tell me:D Anyway lets leave in this thread or the Royaler will have us banned!!:mad:
    PS lookin forward to the Sky Coverage-my only issue is I wont be able to watch the Ulster final back on RTE player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

No
    Would you not set up your own thread on this instead of trying to ruin this one?

Undecided
    I still don't understand how Sky will improve coverage when largely they have just hired the old TV3 crew. Was it TV3 or the TV3 crew?

• Advertisement

No
    No point bickering lads we will see how it pans out when their coverage starts. If it flops it's a lesson learned for the GAA if it succeeds then it could be a start of a good prosperous financial future for the GAA that along with the exposure it will generate should help the GAA to no end when it comes to marketing to foreign places.

Advertisement