Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭lassykk

BBM77 wrote: »
    You can cycle from Dungarvan to Waterford but you find a short incline daunting! I think you can handle from the quay up through Bilberry.:)

There's barely an incline on that stretch too!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

Maybe I came down the wrong way :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

mojor wrote: »
    Maybe I came down the wrong way :eek:

There is only one way down to the quay from Bilberry,unless you went up the hill towards Gracedieu ?

Yeah it was Gracedieu direction I came down from, I remember I had to pass single lane road works. This was about a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Azatadine

There is a slight gentle incline from Bilberry to the toll bridge section that adults wouldn't notice but kids might notice it?

• Advertisement

Is there access to the Greenway Manor Hotel from the Greenway?

Is there access to the Greenway Manor Hotel from the Greenway?

Not yet but i heard they are trying to get it,and the road from the hotel to the greenway is very dangerous for cycling.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Absolutely you are being over cautious, I would actually go as far and say the first Km of the actual greenway is steeper than the road from the quay out to the bilberry car park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭JMcL

I've cycled the Greenway before, Dungarvan to Waterford (The Quay). I plan to go in the other direction next weekend but the hill from the quay up through Bilberry (which was great fun freewheeling down) is quite daunting going back up, especially for the kids.

Would anyone advise taking an alternative route or am I being overly cautious about it?

The greenway from Bilberry out to Carraiganore is practically flat. The Suir Valley railway runs alongside it and that train ain't going up too many serious grades. As for the kids - ours managed it fine a few years back when they were probably 6 and 4 respectively.
    Not yet but i heard they are trying to get it,and the road from the hotel to the greenway is very dangerous for cycling.

Yeah the Old Kilmeaden road is a bit lethal, it's become popular as a rat run and speeds are just way too high for what is safe for the road.

Really great news this morning with funding announced for access into the city,and another greenway from Waterford to New Ross
    Over 10 million euro is to be invested in extending the Waterford Greenway and developing a Greenway from Ferrybank to New Ross.

Waterford Greenway is to receive €2.65 million to see it extended right into the heart of the City’s Viking Triangle.

While, eight million is being allocated by the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport to the development of the Ferrybank to New Ross Greenway, which has the potential for future link-up with the Waterford trail.

In welcoming the announcements, Minister Halligan said:

“Since opening in March of 2017, The Waterford Greenway has proven to be a phenomenal success both in attracting tourism to the City and County, as well as in helping to promote a healthy and active lifestyle for Waterford people and families.”

“Over a quarter of a million people walked and cycled on the Greenway last year alone and now, with investment of over €2.6 million to link the Bilberry entrance with the historic Viking Triangle, we have the opportunity to marry two of Waterford’s most popular tourist attractions.”

Chairman of Wexford County Council, Michael Sheehan described the funding announcement as a game changer for New Ross and County Wexford:

“It will open the Barrow and the area to up to 250,000 visitors annually. These projects transform the areas and with such amenities as we have, New Ross will be the beacon for greenway success.

“We’ve seen the transformative effect of greenways in reviving economies and renewing buildings with new business and enterprises. New Ross will boom on the back of this project.”

The Fianna Fail Councillor for New Ross said he expected the project to be completed and open for summer 2020.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/06/21/93934/?fbclid=IwAR1BqB-_-IyCmJ7972SdP4nJBry_qL49dTq4Dv20QJl0rzIncdKVxYajIOM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Really great news this morning with funding announced for access into the city,and another greenway from Waterford to New Ross

have they cleared the new ross line?

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Ive no idea,but according to the FF councillor in that link it will be completed and opened by the summer next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

No.

They did a big clean up on it a few years ago but it looks overgrown again now as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I saw a green bike in cast aluminium on the Grattan Quay crossing island at the bridge junction this morning, how long has that been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/06/21/93934/?fbclid=IwAR1BqB-_-IyCmJ7972SdP4nJBry_qL49dTq4Dv20QJl0rzIncdKVxYajIOM

This is brilliant news. Fair play those making it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Muttley79

Really exciting news,this will be some addition to the south east in total.it will hopefully tie in with the airport reopening from tourism point view as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They won't allow cycling on the runway.

Should help NR out too. It's pretty bad in NR as it is but look at the boost the greenway gave to Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ive no idea,but according to the FF councillor in that link it will be completed and opened by the summer next year

I ll try walk it again before it opens

• Advertisement

I ll try walk it again before it opens

Where does it start in Ferrybank and end in New Ross?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Where does it start in Ferrybank and end in New Ross?

The line never really went into New Ross. It went over the railway bridge and up to the tunnel at Mount Elliot. The old level crossing on the Waterford side at Rosbercon about 200m from the road bridge is the nearest the line comes to New Ross.

my3cents wrote: »
    The line never really went into New Ross. It went over the railway bridge and up to the tunnel at Mount Elliot. The old level crossing on the Waterford side at Rosbercon about 200m from the road bridge is the nearest the line comes to New Ross.

There doesnt seem to be much details about it and im trying to figure out what route it is from Ferrybank,ive never been on it but would like to give it a try sometime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Let them. That will backfire when people up the country come to the Kilkenny Greenway because they like the sound of it and then end up spending all their money in Waterford and New Ross. :D

As far as I know the entire route will be in Co Kilkenny.

Waterford city and New Ross are on the borderline of counties Waterford and Wexford respectively. Everything in between is Co Kilkenny. So it will start in Co Waterford and go immediately into Co KK, and then it enters New Ross in Co Wexford at the very end.
    But you're probably right that the start and the end of the route will benefit most.
    Still.... it's up to little villages along the route to provide facilities in the way that Kilmacthomas has done on the Deise Grennway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

There are no villages along the route. It should benefit Ferrybank though. The Rhu Glenn should do well out of it also. I'd be very surprised if it was up and running next Summer. 2022 is more realistic.

jelutong wrote: »
    There are no villages along the route.

Actually yea now that I look at it it's nearly all in rural countryside, but goes right behind the Rhu Glenn.

So we can hop off the bikes and head in for a sambo and a bit of dancing :D.

inthehat wrote: »
    As far as I know the entire route will be in Co Kilkenny.

Waterford city and New Ross are on the borderline of counties Waterford and Wexford respectively. Everything in between is Co Kilkenny. So it will start in Co Waterford and go immediately into Co KK, and then it enters New Ross in Co Wexford at the very end.
    But you're probably right that the start and the end of the route will benefit most.
    Still.... it's up to little villages along the route to provide facilities in the way that Kilmacthomas has done on the Deise Grennway.

As it goes through three counties it will probably be named the south east greenway or something similar,i was just laughing at Killkenny council jumping the gun and claiming it as their own already .

What is the route ?,im looking at google maps and i cant figure it out at all

• Advertisement

What is the route ?,im looking at google maps and i cant figure it out at all

I'm just following the line of the old railway on Google Earth satellite image, - it's easy to pick out in places and not so easy in others. But you can get a general idea.

Advertisement