Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Chiparus wrote: »
    Cycle from Bilberry to the city quays , you have to turn left over Rice Bridge , then go around the roundabout , back over the bridge then onto the quays , There is not much thought of cyclists when the traffic flow was developed.

Or just walk across the pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Chiparus

JohnC. wrote: »
    Or just walk across the pedestrian crossing.

Yes you could do that , but it is a pita.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

Cabaal wrote: »
    In all honesty I don't blame them one bit, there are however a few reasons beyond the very unattractive and unsafe feel to getting to Billberry
    - There's a fairly steep climb up from Billberry,
    - There isn't a very interesting view until after the new railway tunnel under the bypass
    - You are stuck beside the bypass for the few few km
    - If you park and cycle from the city you have to pay for parking or leave your car in an area that has very little traffic so it can feel unsafe (Bilberry carpark itself).

So while they can improve the link to the Greenway it'll never benefit in the same way as the WIT campus onwards imho

Wonder if there are any plans to close that halting site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

In fairness to Waterford cc,the Bilberry end was always going to be a problem in that it's a restricted site at the edge of a cliff and the river.
    You may or may not know that the original railway terminated at a station at Bilberry, but was diverted across the bridge that still exists albeit with the centre moving section removed. The station became the Stanley range factory I think.

Someone has been reading my posts - but they forgot to include plans for an underpass at the bridge. Another element added to an already messy junction.

You didn’t think your plans through very well did you. The cost would be exorbitant to build an underpass at the bridge. It is not even a particularly dangerous junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Azatadine

BBM77 wrote: »

They should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Azatadine wrote: »
    They should.

Out of all the halting sites in the city its probably the cleanest and least intimidating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You didn’t think your plans through very well did you. The cost would be exorbitant to build an underpass at the bridge. It is not even a particularly dangerous junction.

It's called blue sky thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It's called blue sky thinking.

What about an overpass?

Over a major route with 18 wheelers and double decker buses? It would be very high and very ugly. At least an underpass has the advantage of being invisible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Over a major route with 18 wheelers and double decker buses? It would be very high and very ugly. At least an underpass has the advantage of being invisible.

forget all this speak of over/underpasses. The council have a toucan crossing planned for this junction for the Greenway.

18 wheelers going through city centres are very ugly, unhealthy and potentially dangerous. Do we still have double decker buses, if so do we need them.

Check this out from Copenhagen.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/cities/2014/jul/14/bike-lanes-bridge-copenhagen-new-cycle-snake-cykelslangen

Kenneally's have double deckers - mind you the big modern coaches are nearly as high as them anyway!

Given how ugly/boring the Greenway is along the Red Bridge - Rice Bridge section I'd go for an ambitious planting scheme so that in the medium term cyclists would be on the outside of a wall of shrubs and trees

Kenneally's have double deckers - mind you the big modern coaches are nearly as high as them anyway!

Given how ugly/boring the Greenway is along the Red Bridge - Rice Bridge section I'd go for an ambitious planting scheme so that in the medium term cyclists would be on the outside of a wall of shrubs and trees

Something to separate the cyclists and the road is definitely necessary, and planting could kill two birds as a lot of the quay is looking very grubby currently.

Can you imagine a wall of greenery with no views of the river/NQP from the shop side of the quays? There would be murder!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

:rolleyes:
    Thats certainly not what I was referring to in anyway.

It feels unsafe due more isolated nature of the spot, not much traffic going by etc if you used it to park. The road down to the start of the greenway also feels unsafe due to motorists and the shocking standard of driving

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd never happen for various reason but it would be lovely to have the two greenways connected via the Red Iron Bridge, the you'd get fantastic views of the river when crossing it.

W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzLzA2NDYxNThjNzU2YTFiNzVlZV8yNTI1LmpwZyJdLFsicCIsInRodW1iIiwieDM5MD4iXSxbInAiLCJjb252ZXJ0IiwiLXF1YWxpdHkgODEgLWF1dG8tb3JpZW50Il1d

I'd say it would end up being as popular as the Durrow Tunnel and you could make a nice shorter walking loop from Quays, across the red iron and then back to quays again.

They could still do another connection via the city of course.

Only a dream sadly.....

hardybuck wrote: »
    18 wheelers going through city centres are very ugly, unhealthy and potentially dangerous. Do we still have double decker buses, if so do we need them.

Check this out from Copenhagen.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/cities/2014/jul/14/bike-lanes-bridge-copenhagen-new-cycle-snake-cykelslangen

Its a nice bike lane, but I'd fail to see how exactly it would work with Rice Bridge?

It would have to be ridiculously high to go over the HGV's and it cannot go under the bridge either, so it wouldn't solve anything really other then separating out bikes from other traffic.

Its a nice bike lane, but I'd fail to see how exactly it would work with Rice Bridge?

It would have to be ridiculously high to go over the HGV's and it cannot go under the bridge either, so it wouldn't solve anything really other then separating out bikes from other traffic.

It just shows what's possible.

Probably another discussion required as to whether HGVs should be allowed on the quays during the peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭azimuth17

hardybuck wrote: »
    It just shows what's possible.

Probably another discussion required as to whether HGVs should be allowed on the quays during the peak hours.

They aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Azatadine

:rolleyes:
    Thats certainly not what I was referring to in anyway.

It feels unsafe due more isolated nature of the spot, not much traffic going by etc if you used it to park. The road down to the start of the greenway also feels unsafe due to motorists and the shocking standard of driving

It's a valid point though. I've seen kids leading horses along the footpath to the old Stanley site. The kids are only 6 or 7 years old. If those horses spook, those kids have 0 chance of controlling them. Zero

Azatadine wrote: »
    It's a valid point though. I've seen kids leading horses along the footpath to the old Stanley site. The kids are only 6 or 7 years old. If those horses spook, those kids have 0 chance of controlling them. Zero

Except its not, the comment made was

This is asking for them to be evicted, where as your concern is a animal control concern. It would be extreme to evict familys based on your concern.

If you have animal control concerns then thats grand thats something you should raise with the council and/or Gardai.

Lack of animal control is something not specific to the traveling community and is lax across our country, for example my sisters dog was seriously injured by a restricted breed which was "under the control" of a 12 year old and the dog didn't have a muzzle either. The family in question that owned the dog were not part of the traveling community.

The comment about the travelers imho is only trying to get a dig at the travelers, in the scale of things them living where they live is a non issue.

The safety issues for accessing the greenway are primarily created by poor parking, poor standards of driving and the sheer amount of traffic in the area,

azimuth17 wrote: »
    They aren't.

Not enforced.

I'd never happen for various reason but it would be lovely to have the two greenways connected via the Red Iron Bridge, the you'd get fantastic views of the river when crossing it.

W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzLzA2NDYxNThjNzU2YTFiNzVlZV8yNTI1LmpwZyJdLFsicCIsInRodW1iIiwieDM5MD4iXSxbInAiLCJjb252ZXJ0IiwiLXF1YWxpdHkgODEgLWF1dG8tb3JpZW50Il1d

I'd say it would end up being as popular as the Durrow Tunnel and you could make a nice shorter walking loop from Quays, across the red iron and then back to quays again.

They could still do another connection via the city of course.

Only a dream sadly.....
    Crossing at the proposed new bridge would be less problematic.

I remember reading somewhere about water refill stations planned to be installed on the greenway.

Did these ever get installed and if so where?

I remember reading somewhere about water refill stations planned to be installed on the greenway.

There was talk of them but none installed yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Somewhere to let water out would be handy :)

They must of seen your post

https://www.facebook.com/deise.greenway/

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

I've cycled the Greenway before, Dungarvan to Waterford (The Quay). I plan to go in the other direction next weekend but the hill from the quay up through Bilberry (which was great fun freewheeling down) is quite daunting going back up, especially for the kids.

Would anyone advise taking an alternative route or am I being overly cautious about it?

• Advertisement

mojor wrote: »
    I've cycled the Greenway before, Dungarvan to Waterford (The Quay). I plan to go in the other direction next weekend but the hill from the quay up through Bilberry (which was great fun freewheeling down) is quite daunting going back up, especially for the kids.

Would anyone advise taking an alternative route or am I being overly cautious about it?

You can cycle from Dungarvan to Waterford but you find a short incline daunting! I think you can handle from the quay up through Bilberry.:)

Advertisement