Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭JMcL

noby wrote: »
    What with the parking facilities, and bike rental, is the WIT arena becoming the defacto 'Start' (or end) of the Greenway?

It would be a shame if it is. In Dungarvan last summer you could really see the boost with visitors cycling right in to the town.

Yeah, it's not ideal effectively having to drive to the greenway. For the casual cyclist, it's not a particularly easy or very pleasant approach via the ring road, for walkers, the above added to it being a loooonnnnggg way from town. It would be much better going to the city center.

In fairness, I believe it will get there eventually with the intention being to route it across the new pedestrian bridge and hook up to the proposed Waterford - New Ross greenway. When that happens it'll be a fantastic 70+km facility end to end. While it would be great to have had the Bilberry issue sorted from the outset, I think it's much better to have the rest of it up and running rather than being held up by access disputes

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭somahoney74

I run fairly regularly on the green way. It's a fantastic addition. When the water stations are added it will be even better. The only complaint I have is the amount of dog fouling. It's a disgrace. And it's disgusting that when people do bag the dirt they leave it for collection. Personally I think they should ban dogs off it. Most dog owners don't clean up after their dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I run fairly regularly on the green way. It's a fantastic addition. When the water stations are added it will be even better. The only complaint I have is the amount of dog fouling. It's a disgrace. And it's disgusting that when people do bag the dirt they leave it for collection. Personally I think they should ban dogs off it. Most dog owners don't clean up after their dogs.

Would be ridiculous to ban dogs off it. Some enforcement of litter laws wouldn’t go astray though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭JMcL

Unfortunately the council don't even have enough staff to police fouling in town. We're a 3 minute walk from school in Tramore, and when I was walking up with the kids before they were big enough to walk them themselves, the footpath was like a minefield. Invariably there would be a fresh pile from a not small dog every day so it's persistent offenders in my guess. If they can get away with it Scott free in the middle of a town, what hope of catching them at a random spot on the Greenway :-( The baggies left all over the place are particularly depressing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

JMcL wrote: »
    Unfortunately the council don't even have enough staff to police fouling in town. We're a 3 minute walk from school in Tramore, and when I was walking up with the kids before they were big enough to walk them themselves, the footpath was like a minefield. Invariably there would be a fresh pile from a not small dog every day so it's persistent offenders in my guess. If they can get away with it Scott free in the middle of a town, what hope of catching them at a random spot on the Greenway :-( The baggies left all over the place are particularly depressing

I can never understand leaving the bags. If ya have gone to the bother of putting the ****e into the bag why not bring it with you. Bags being left are surely worse than leaving the ****e?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I see runners and cyclists on an almost daily basis running into the bushes to go the toilet,when humans can't control themselves what hope have you with dogs,personally i dont see any dog mess on it and im out there everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Would be ridiculous to ban dogs off it. Some enforcement of litter laws wouldn’t go astray though.

There are no regulations for the Greenway. The council has purposefully not enacted any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

There must be another solution to picking up dog litter in plastic bags.

You are essentially wrapping a biodegradable substance in something that will not breakdown for 100s of years. Made worse when the plastic bags are not taken away and left in these scenic areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

There must be another solution to picking up dog litter in plastic bags.

You are essentially wrapping a biodegradable substance in something that will not breakdown for 100s of years. Made worse when the plastic bags are not taken away and left in these scenic areas.

The council dog **** bags I have (old dog warden gave me loads of them :)) are plastic but they are biodegradable. I know not all poo bags are biodegradable but its not hard to find ones that are eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07LBML796/ .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I use biodegradable bags, and the single use plastic ones should be banned IMO, but there should also be some bins along the route.

While I don't agree with people leaving their waste behind them, it can be unpleasant to carry bags of s*** around with you for a couple of hours, particularly if you're trying to multitask with dogs, small kids etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hardybuck wrote: »
    I use biodegradable bags, and the single use plastic ones should be banned IMO, but there should also be some bins along the route.

While I don't agree with people leaving their waste behind them, it can be unpleasant to carry bags of s*** around with you for a couple of hours, particularly if you're trying to multitask with dogs, small kids etc.

all problematic/non recyclable/non bio plastics should be banned in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    all problematic/non recyclable/non bio plastics should be banned in my opinion

We're probably wandering into another debate, they're great materials in themselves, but what we're using them for is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hardybuck wrote: »
    We're probably wandering into another debate, they're great materials in themselves, but what we're using them for is the issue.

debatable, but id be more inclined to disagree, but it is a debate for another day/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

See the the Greenway is on the way to be completed. Plans looks good, there will even be a boardwalk over the river part of the way.

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/projects/public-consultations/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Someone has been reading my posts - but they forgot to include plans for an underpass at the bridge. Another element added to an already messy junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Do you mean an underpass going under Rice Bridge? I don't think that would work.

SwkpsjH.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JohnC. wrote: »
    Do you mean an underpass going under Rice Bridge? I don't think that would work.

SwkpsjH.jpg

it could be done but it would be huge money and extremely disruptive to put an underpass in. It wouldn't be cost effective for the benefit from it.

While an underpass "could" be done there are more viable solutions for linking the greenway to the city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Chiparus

BBM77 wrote: »
    See the the Greenway is on the way to be completed. Plans looks good, there will even be a boardwalk over the river part of the way.

All that parking parallel to the cycle lane means that the cyclists will be cycling in the "door zone " and the occupants of the cars will be alighting onto the cycle lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

It's only a matter of time before this Greenway is full of plastic bottles and horrible dog sh*t bags just like everywhere else in Ireland. Our culture is now throwaway and the local councils do almost nothing to tackle the issue. That's the sad reality of modern Ireland.

Hal3000 wrote: »
    It's only a matter of time before this Greenway is full of plastic bottles and horrible dog sh*t bags just like everywhere else in Ireland. Our culture is now throwaway and the local councils do almost nothing to tackle the issue. That's the sad reality of modern Ireland.

Ireland is a lot cleaner than 20 years ago, especially since the introduction of the plastic bag charge.

• Advertisement

Chiparus wrote: »
    Ireland is a lot cleaner than 20 years ago, especially since the introduction of the plastic bag charge.

Maybe so but still not that clean. Plastic bottle return system would be a game changer but won't come in with our current leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

I wouldn't blame the local authorities. Everyone should play their part in keeping the Greenway litter free.

jelutong wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame the local authorities. Everyone should play their part in keeping the Greenway litter free.

Most people don't care and are beyond help. I think anyone that willingly throws rubbish on the ground won't ever change.

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Most people don't care and are beyond help. I think anyone that willingly throws rubbish on the ground won't ever change.

I think things are changing , Certainly from dog fouling point of view, years ago no-one picked up , now it is expected. Of course you have a few who will never change.

BBM77 wrote: »

Its really good to see something is happening with access from the city,it has a raised platform at bilberry and the roundabout on the quay it'll be interesting to see how that will work.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its really good to see something is happening with access from the city,it has a raised platform at bilberry and the roundabout on the quay it'll be interesting to see how that will work.

People will moan, people don't like change :(

Cabaal wrote: »
    People will moan, people don't like change :(

I agree and there is going to be a lot of moaning done about it,but hopefully for everyone it can be done with minimal disruption, for the Greenway to be a success it badly needs access from the city...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, the access from the Bilberry section needs amending big time. Lot of visitors from further away either go to WIT entrance or Kilmac.

Azatadine wrote: »
    Yeah, the access from the Bilberry section needs amending big time. Lot of visitors from further away either go to WIT entrance or Kilmac.

In all honesty I don't blame them one bit, there are however a few reasons beyond the very unattractive and unsafe feel to getting to Billberry
    - There's a fairly steep climb up from Billberry,
    - There isn't a very interesting view until after the new railway tunnel under the bypass
    - You are stuck beside the bypass for the few few km
    - If you park and cycle from the city you have to pay for parking or leave your car in an area that has very little traffic so it can feel unsafe (Bilberry carpark itself).

So while they can improve the link to the Greenway it'll never benefit in the same way as the WIT campus onwards imho

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    In all honesty I don't blame them one bit, there are however a few reasons beyond the very unattractive and unsafe feel to getting to Billberry
    - There's a fairly steep climb up from Billberry,
    - There isn't a very interesting view until after the new railway tunnel under the bypass
    - You are stuck beside the bypass for the few few km
    - If you park and cycle from the city you have to pay for parking or leave your car in an area that has very little traffic so it can feel unsafe (Bilberry carpark itself).

So while they can improve the link to the Greenway it'll never benefit in the same way as the WIT campus onwards imho

Cycle from Bilberry to the city quays , you have to turn left over Rice Bridge , then go around the roundabout , back over the bridge then onto the quays , There is not much thought of cyclists when the traffic flow was developed.

Advertisement