Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Field-and-Entrance-Gates-Kissing-gate-install.jpg

and the name of lovely song by Sam Brown :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

And they'll put in a loop de loop so cyclists won't have to stop to get through

250px-Loop_the_Loop_Olentangy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Field-and-Entrance-Gates-Kissing-gate-install.jpg

and the name of lovely song by Sam Brown :)

I think any able bodied person should be capable of negotiations the ‘kissing gates’....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Road-Hog wrote: »
    I think any able bodied person should be capable of negotiations the ‘kissing gates’....?

And what able everyone else? Or buggies? Or bikes? Etc etc.

(I'm going to presume all the details will be sorted out, as overall this is a positive news story)

noby wrote: »
    And what able everyone else? Or buggies? Or bikes? Etc etc.

(I'm going to presume all the details will be sorted out, as overall this is a positive news story)

I doubt they will do it that way but its perfectly possible to make the kissing gate much bigger so you can get a bike through it easily, although half the time you'd need to dismount (depending where the gate was left in relation to your approach).

• Advertisement

Well it's better than a style! ;) A Kissing Gate is a design rather than a scale so it can be made big enough to allow people who are less than spritely to get through easily enough. That said then it would be big enough for bikes....

Well it's better than a style! ;) A Kissing Gate is a design rather than a scale so it can be made big enough to allow people who are less than spritely to get through easily enough. That said then it would be big enough for bikes....

I agree while perfectly possible I don't see them actually doing it that way.

When you look at the really lame barriers they have at the junctions with roads the same barriers mostly with no locks on them that you can in a lot of cases you could easily drive around I really don't see them putting up a real barrier like a kissing gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

my3cents wrote: »
    I doubt they will do it that way but its perfectly possible to make the kissing gate much bigger so you can get a bike through it easily, although half the time you'd need to dismount (depending where the gate was left in relation to your approach).

I dont think wheelchairs can get through them, certainly not easily.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I dont think wheelchairs can get through them, certainly not easily.

I’m sure there are wheel chair and bike friendly versions of ‘kissing gates’ that will accommodate both.......not being that regular of a Greenway user myself how regular/numerous are wheel chair users?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I’m sure there are wheel chair and bike friendly versions of ‘kissing gates’ that will accommodate both.......not being that regular of a Greenway user myself how regular/numerous are wheel chair users?

Does it matter how regular or numerous wheelchairs are or have been?

It has to be accessible to everyone.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough a google of wheel chair friendly kissing gates comes up with a good few results.

Bottom of the page http://cyclingotherwise.co.uk/index.php/out-an-about/ooops/ has a good example after the bad examples.

There are also plenty of manufactures that claim to have wheel chair friendly kissing gates eg https://www.externalworksindex.co.uk/entry/123456/Jacksons-Fencing/Timber-mobility-kissing-gate/ & https://mcveighparker.com/mobility-friendly-meshed-medium-woodstock-kissing-gate

Edit> This is a particularly innovative solution http://robwoodburn.blogspot.com/2014/10/chatsworth-done-easy.html second image down. The hole gate revolves.

Edit yet again> Really got into looking at solutions here and found this really comprehensive guide which examines an array of solutions http://carmarthenshire-disabled-access-group.org.uk/Dave%20Crofts%20Countryside%20Guides/Guide%20to%20Country%20Gates%20and%20Barriers-r1f.pdf .

Weekends I see a good few when whole families go out for a walk. I've even noticed an increasing number of adult tricycles on the greenway (someone is hiring them?) and they have similar access problems to wheel chairs.

Just curious to know how many disabled users frequent the Greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Just curious to know how many disabled users frequent the Greenway.

I have seen quite a few, especially cerebral palsy children.

Why do you ask?

Chiparus wrote: »
    I have seen quite a few, especially cerebral palsy children.

Why do you ask?

As I said, no particular reason. Just curious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Kissing gates are terrible for access. What's wrong with a self closing gate? Plenty of them about in the German alps, such a simplistic design and doesn't hinder anybody.

Kissing gates are terrible for access. What's wrong with a self closing gate? Plenty of them about in the German alps, such a simplistic design and doesn't hinder anybody.

yes, a better idea ...... and need to be not too hard to push open so a wheelchair user can easily open it.

yes, a better idea ...... and need to be not too hard to push open so a wheelchair user can easily open it.

Any self closing gate can be propped open.

What do you think will happen?

Not that I think there will be any gates?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The greenway already features numerous kissing gates, are you suggesting they are not accessible to everyone?

They exist mainly to stop quads, cars etc. But there is more then enough room for a wheelchair at all of them.

Cabaal wrote: »
    The greenway already features numerous kissing gates, are you suggesting they are not accessible to everyone?

They exist mainly to stop quads, cars etc. But there is more then enough room for a wheelchair at all of them.

What could possibly cause you to ask about any suggestion in my response to the post?
    Did you read it at all?
    I did quote what I responded to ..... here is the link in case you have trouble finding it again ...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110804145&postcount=1301

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I saw a load of bags of rubbish fly tipped at the Bilberry entrance today. Must have been at least 10 big bin bags. Just dumped out of the back of a van or something....

Azatadine wrote: »
    I saw a load of bags of rubbish fly tipped at the Bilberry entrance today. Must have been at least 10 big bin bags. Just dumped out of the back of a van or something....

And did you walk away and leave them there....?

Did you take any actions.......search through one or two to try and identify the orgion....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Why would someone search through the bags? That's a task for people equipped to do so and with the power to do something about any evidence found. Ie. the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Azatadine

And did you walk away and leave them there....?

Did you take any actions.......search through one or two to try and identify the orgion....?

What would you expect me to do? Open the boot of my car and take them home with me? Open them up and start rummaging through someone else's rubbish? Maybe slit my hand open in the process? That's a bizarre question to ask imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Long detour for pedestrians
    Pedestrian crossing on the N25
    Hard shoulder lined for pedestrians

What could possibly go wrong....

The new Kilmeaden spur could perhaps do with a tweak or two...

Azatadine wrote: »
    What would you expect me to do? Open the boot of my car and take them home with me? Open them up and start rummaging through someone else's rubbish? Maybe slit my hand open in the process? That's a bizarre question to ask imo.

Well you could have made some effort to do something other than just highlight it on boards.ie in the hope that someone might come and collect the bags

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Well you could have made some effort to do something other than just highlight it on boards.ie in the hope that someone might come and collect the bags

What would you have done yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I seen the rubbish myself there yesterday too I counted 15 bags and a old rug,the only thing one can do is ring the council environmental department and they are closed all weekend,not a hope in hell I would go near any of it.

Out of curiosity what would you have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Take a few pictures and send them to the Director of Services for Environment at Waterford City and County Council, Maritana House, The Mall, Waterford.

• Advertisement

Never go bin(bag) diving without proper protection. Easiest thing in the world to cut or puncture yourself and end up with the screaming abdaps

Advertisement