Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options
1474849505153»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭azimuth17

HAs it actually been handed over from contractor to council Mainteance on Greenway out around Killotteran and Mount Congreve is good..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I don't know that - maybe that's the case.

Looks awful so hopefully it gets sorted. I dunno how to set the orientation of the pictures but you get the gist

Post edited by Aquos76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Can you explain to me what the appeal is of having the grass trimmed down to the soil and not have anything else grow? I happen to think a few weeds and some wild flowers actually look great.

I can't see anything awful in the photos you posted.

Nobody wants the grass cut to ground level. However, If you pass through that area at all, 6 foot high weeds (and they are at the T-junction) and swathes of dock leaves look awful. I like the natural look too but this just looks unkept. The photos maybe dont show how bad it looks in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

thankfully theres now a move towards less 'maintenance', such activities are in fact highly destructive for biodiversity, its actually not normal for such maintenance in nature, this has been a human introduced activity, and now we have to start reversing it, or else....

...we do of course need to make sure such infrastructure is kept safe for all users, but a lot of maintenance is actually to appeal to our aesthetic wants and needs, and actually isnt needed at all, whats really needed is to make sure its just safe, we also dont need to tarmac and concrete the sh1t outta such infrastructure, theres plenty of potentially cheaper and more appealing materials out there for the job....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So you like the natural look when its organised in an unnatural manner?

In the third photo down I see some wildflowers, given time more of it will have wildflowers. Also, one species weed is another species foodsource 😉

Fair enough. I detest dock leaves and the majority of the weeds are docks. 6 ft high weeds at a junction creates a driving hazard but fair enough. I doubt it'd look like that out the Dunmore Road but it is what it is and I'll keep schtum from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I see a load of new green signs pointing to greenway parking. What car park do they lead to? It’s the opposite direction to Bilberry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭914

Need to be more specific on where you see the signs.

City to kilmeaden carparks

bilberry,

WIT Arena,

Killotteran,

Suir Valley Railway

They’re along the quays. City centre and parking as far as the Clock Tower, where it directs people up Barronstrand Street for the city centre. But the parking ones continue down the quays to somewhere, further along than the quay car parks. I’ve not had the opportunity to follow them to the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

This is not neglect, as others have said, it is new thinking when it comes to maintaining urban areas. Let the wildflowers grow for pollinators and save money also. Admittedly, not sure if I like it myself to be honest. Does make roadsides look untidy. Guess it is a small price to pay to help Bee etc, we are screwed if their population collapses.

Post edited by BBM77 on

Is this for biking parking as opposed car parking I wonder. Haven't seen them myself, I'll keep an eye out

Could be bike parking. There is a graphic of a bike too.

Yep saw them, looks like the signs direct cyclists to the city centre and to the millennium plaza as this is now the official start/end of the Greenway depending which direction you cycle.

Although I haven't seen bike stands on the plaza so maybe they are planning to put some in place for parking (bike parking)

They've sprayed the dock leaves. They are dying off now.

On another note. There used to be a lovely little coffee stop out around Mount Congreve just off the Greenway. He used to do pizzas and everything. The kids loved going there.

I haven't seen it at all there this year. There seems to be a different set up there but it's never open. I assume the original people won't be there any more. It was a lovely little place and they were really nice people.

Now you enjoy the lovely healthy smell of glyphosate on your bike ride along the greenway.

Hopefully it was full of bees and bugs when it got doused as they are a right nuisance.

its got nothing on creosote!

can anyone actually recommend an alternative to glyphosate, id really like to give up using it?

Riiight......I assume you have plenty of docks growing on your front and back lawn? I assume you never cut your grass and have a nice garden full of docks? I'd imagine so based on your posts.

Anyway, time to move on from the weeds or wildflowers or whatever we think 🙂.

It's great to have the new section in place and it's a nice way for folks to reach the Bilberry entrance now. Little bit of work remains on the cycle path by the boatyard but almost there!

I don't think they used glysophosate. I doubt it. There are dock specific products available these days.

..oh im sure there is, but the council are well known for blasting the place with the stuff, id be surprised if it wasnt, not much survives the stuff....

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's lethal stuff alright. Kills everything.

I use an organic weed killer which definitely kills the weeds but they still come back.

Also, just because it's organic doesn't mean it isn't lethal, cyanide is organic sure!

I bet something will come out in the wash about it in 10 years.

Advertisement