Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Has a name been officially chosen for it yet even?

I doubt it very much. Wasnt the name of the Waterford greenway only officially released near enough its opening? Im sure the new one will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

jelutong wrote: »
    The Suir and Barrow Greenway?

"The Barrow way" already exists as a blue way. Goes down as far as st mullins and up into Kildare. It could potentially be linked up with new ross.

The Barrow Blueway project was rejected due to negative reaction. There was a very vigorous campaign by walkers against tarring the towpath on the grounds that it would spoil what is a really beautiful grass pathway on the St Mullins to Borris section. Opinions are very divided as it would equally make a lovely cycle track. You can cycle it as it stands but only slowly with wide tyres. It may still be developed higher up beyond Carlow as that section wouldn't be as popular with walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

my3cents wrote: »
    The glaringly obvious reason the name isn't that good is that people who don't know the area - tourists - will go to Kilkenny City thinking thats were the new bit of the greenway is located. Waterford greenway go to Waterford. Kilkenny greenway DO NOT go to Kilkenny.

I don't think people are as stupid as you think. And the Internet exists now. It will be easy to see were it goes.

Do masses of people get lost trying to find the M9 from Dublin to Waterford, which starts in Kildare and ends in Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Best plan is call it 'The Kilkenny Greenway', let them pay for it but have the only two access points at New Ross and Ferrybank!

https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/sites/default/files/content/SpecialProjects/Location-Map-for-link.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maybe they'll impose a toll - it'll be just like the very old days!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I don't see this been same success as Waterford/Westport one.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Very interesting stretch beyond New Ross I believe where the proposed route crosses the Barrow on the old Railway bridge and then runs through a very long Mount Garret tunnel to emerge near Ballyanne I believe. This should be a big attraction. And who cares what they call it. If its connected to Waterford , we will get something out of it. I hope New Ross gets a huge boost from it. A small almost forgotten town.

With the fancy new bypass opening at the end of the year New Ross will have the chance to re-invent itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I don't see this been same success as Waterford/Westport one.

Based on? In some ways, it could do better. 40 km round trip compared to 90 km Waterford one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Very interesting stretch beyond New Ross I believe where the proposed route crosses the Barrow on the old Railway bridge and then runs through a very long Mount Garret tunnel to emerge near Ballyanne I believe.

That spur is basically going nowhere though, coming to an abrupt halt after the tunnel. If it could be connected to St Mullin's though, and/or extended further along the former railway alignment to Borris and Bagenalstown, they would be absolute game changers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Would that connect to the huge 'aquaduct' in Borris? I was always fascinated by that when I passed through Borris as a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Quackster wrote: »
    That spur is basically going nowhere though, coming to an abrupt halt after the tunnel. If it could be connected to St Mullin's though, and/or extended further along the former railway alignment to Borris and Bagenalstown, they would be absolute game changers.

It comes to a halt on private property iirc Rosemount Estate (lived nearby for a while) then just after the end of the tunnel goes under the N30 and onto Woodville House land. Very interesting tunnel though, its curved so you can't see the end of it until you are at least 3/4 of the way through. It was bricked up but when I walked it years back enough blocks had been pulled out so you could get through.

This GeoHive map http://bit.ly/2X4Yxiq has the a large scale map superimposed on a satellite map and shows the route of the tunnel. The current plans seem to end at the end of the tunnel and the cutting just next to the N30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Chiparus

bike station.jpgCycled a green way in the US recently.

Different experience , much more organised with a line in the middle, signs everywhere for walkers on the left , cyclists on the right the same in both directions , that ment that walkers were always face on to oncoming cyclists.

There were service stations every few miles - which I think would be a good idea- with track pumps and tools to tighten up components .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

With all the Greenways opening around the country Waterford really needs to take advantage of our one and make it the best in the country!,i wonder if plans will ever be in place to link it to the Youghal-Midleton Greenway or if there is a Rosslare-Waterford one link them all together and create a Rosslare-Cork Greenway...

64937090_2793504687383479_5430012923382595584_n.png?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQnJBbVRSHYqF9PPv0vKkDnb8RReBH5RzswIpTvz_P9EEVH-7uOCnp3JYaGfEUIxPaYRIMhTlz0pw8vo6P-5aIn7&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=9bcb63a315f126bf546cc14df2d26ab8&oe=5D8905B2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

With all the Greenways opening around the country Waterford really needs to take advantage of our one and make it the best in the country!,i wonder if plans will ever be in place to link it to the Youghal-Midleton Greenway or if there is a Rosslare-Waterford one link them all together and create a Rosslare-Cork Greenway...

Camping would be a good feature, not just one site but several. Although I suspect thats a "bridge to far" for our planners.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Azatadine wrote: »
    Based on? In some ways, it could do better. 40 km round trip compared to 90 km Waterford one.

I just don't think it has the same appeal as Waterford which has lots more to do. Yes for those who want to cycle round trip on a day it will do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

my3cents wrote: »
    Camping would be a good feature, not just one site but several. Although I suspect thats a "bridge to far" for our planners.

That would really be up to some enterprising landowner along the way, rather than the planners.

Surely a typo on that graphic? Or will the Killkenny Coco have nothing to do with 24 km of infrastructure of which 23 km is in their county?

Surely a typo on that graphic? Or will the Killkenny Coco have nothing to do with 24 km of infrastructure of which 23 km is in their county?

I hope it's right! It would be hilarious if Wexford were developing that greenway but Kilkenny County Council were merrily naming it after themselves. It would properly sum up co-operation amongst the SE Councils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I think the councils are cooperating on it but Wexford are given the lead position for all this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

IMO the proposed Rosslare-Waterford greenway will be the real 'game changer' for greenways in Co Wexford. Around 60kms it will link Rosslare Europort and Rosslare Strand to the Waterford Greenway via the New Ross greenway and the eventual new cycle/pedestrian bridge from the North Quays. Like the Waterford Greenway this one will have points of interest, - viaducts, tunnels, history, long bridges over water - and will also run through or close to rural villages to allow coffee stops, bike hire and other development. Huge potential to direct tourists from Wexford to Waterford and vice versa.

https://youtu.be/sc1prUMDbQA

More detail: https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/community/recreational-and-community-development-projects/rosslare-to-waterford-city-greenway

The imagination, co-operation and joined-up thinking that is going into these schemes is in stark contrast to the the genius that decided the Wild Atlantic Way should stop two counties short of the ro-ro facilities in Rosslare. I suppose we should be grateful that the Greenways are being developed for relative buttons, or our friends to the West would probably scupper them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I have done cycle touring in France, Belgium & The Netherlands, and this kind of joined up network (and thinking) is precisely what cycle tourers want: leave a ferry terminal then just make your own way about.

The proposed plan also implies a circuit - take the greenway one way, and the coast the other (crossing at ballyhack/passage east and taking in hook head etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

MichealD wrote: »
    IMO the proposed Rosslare-Waterford greenway will be the real 'game changer' for greenways in Co Wexford. Around 60kms it will link Rosslare Europort and Rosslare Strand to the Waterford Greenway via the New Ross greenway and the eventual new cycle/pedestrian bridge from the North Quays. Like the Waterford Greenway this one will have points of interest, - viaducts, tunnels, history, long bridges over water - and will also run through or close to rural villages to allow coffee stops, bike hire and other development. Huge potential to direct tourists from Wexford to Waterford and vice versa.

https://youtu.be/sc1prUMDbQA

More detail: https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/community/recreational-and-community-development-projects/rosslare-to-waterford-city-greenway[/QUOTE

Even more to the point a cyclist can leave the Ferry in Rosslare and not see a car until Dungarvan!

Greenway spur to Kilmeaden
    Development of Greenway connection to Kilmeaden Village
    CONSULTATION TYPE: SUBMISSIONS / OBSERVATIONS ACCEPTED
    CONSULTATION END DATE: 4pm Monday, 2nd September, 2019
    Waterford City & County Council hereby gives notice of intent to carry out the following development:

Development of Greenway connection to Kilmeaden Village from Kilmeaden
    Railway Station, Co. Waterford

The principle features of the proposed cycling/ walking trail will be:

The development of a 1.8km recreational cycling/walking trail from the existing carpark at Waterford Suir Valley Railway Station in the townland of Newtown to Kilmeaden village in the townland of Ballyduff East

The trail surface of unbound aggregate, approximately 2 metres wide will traverse agricultural grassland and provision is made for access arrangement at a N25 cattle underpass

Where the trail uses existing roadway, a shared roadway arrangement will connect to Kilmeaden village
    Fencing, access gates, drainage and ancillary trail infrastructure will be installed to Sport Ireland Trails Office standards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Outline:
    http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/projects/public-consultations/KilmeadenGreenwayConnection/KILMEADEN%20PART%208%20-%20100%20rev%201%20-%20OVERALL%20LAYOUT.PDF

Probably safer but not a shortcut.
    And the 'kissing gates'?
    How is that going to be a cycling / walking connection with a set of kissing gates put in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

A great idea to link up nearby villages to greenway, they are looking at portlaw too but its a bit more complicated, costly, land issues.

God knows Kilmeaden needs the trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

beazee wrote: »
    Outline:
    http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/projects/public-consultations/KilmeadenGreenwayConnection/KILMEADEN%20PART%208%20-%20100%20rev%201%20-%20OVERALL%20LAYOUT.PDF

Probably safer but not a shortcut.
    And the 'kissing gates'?
    How is that going to be a cycling / walking connection with a set of kissing gates put in place?

What are kissing gates....?

Advertisement