Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Anyone know if there is any plans for signage for pedestrians to keep to one side and cyclists the other?

Is everyone suppose to be left justified?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Everyone left is still mixing cyclists and people going for a walk on the same side.

People walking naturally move in every direction to let cyclists past when they hear a bell ringing behind them. Which causes issues for people coming the other way.

It puts pressure on walker to keep having to move out of the way instead of enjoying a leisurely stroll and for cyclists having to stop or move at a crawl at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

No, it's not. If you stay on the left and cyclists overtake you then there is no problem, the problem is where pedestrians jump to the right when a cyclist dings their bell to alert them instead of staying to the left.
    In any event cyclists should be cycling at a pace where they don't do any damage to anyone and have given themselves enough time and space to react to any unexpected movement by the pedestrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Everyone left is still mixing cyclists and people going for a walk on the same side.

People walking naturally move in every direction to let cyclists past when they hear a bell ringing behind them. Which causes issues for people coming the other way.

It puts pressure on walker to keep having to move out of the way instead of enjoying a leisurely stroll and for cyclists having to stop or move at a crawl at times.

Walkers don't need to move out of the way, just keep to the left. The bell is just a warning that a cyclist is about to overtake you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Anyone know if there is any plans for signage for pedestrians to keep to one side and cyclists the other?

I was cycling on it a few weeks back and there were people walking in both directions across the whole path. They seemed unaware they were blocking the path for cyclists, or were shocked if a bike bell was rang or an "excuse me" was said.

It a beautiful facility, but it would reach another level with signage or marking to seperate cyclists and pedestrians on the path, and would improve safety.

My finances mother was hit by a cyclist while walking on the Greenway and it has put her off completely going on it again. I am not sure who was to blame but I have a feeling it could have been avoided if each mode of transport stuck to one side.

Plenty of new signs with the "greenway respect code" at the entrances to car parks and road crossings,no need for walkers on one side and cyclists on the other,just keep left it cant be simpler than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Waterford Greenway has picked up a gong

https://www.waterfordlive.ie/news/around-waterford/364061/waterford-wins-top-prize-at-irish-independent-reader-travel-awards.html
    The Reader Travel Awards are run annually by the Irish Independent, with awards made this year under 16 different categories.

A ‘who’s who’ of Irish travel and tourism met at Dublin’s Cliff Townhouse last weekend to celebrate the 2019 winners, and to look ahead to 2020.

Waterford City and County Council director of economic development and planning Michael Quinn was in attendance to accept the award.

Plus a mention in "de papeur"

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/lifestyle/features/10-ways-to-get-the-kids-off-the-couch-to-enjoy-the-longer-evenings-903716.html

Greenways are one of the best developments in recent years, and while packed during the summer, can make for a lovely winter’s day out. We cycled part of the Waterford Greenway last December, and while cold were rewarded with a fabulous setting sun over the Copper Coast.

If you don’t own your own set of wheels, you can hike bikes at the starting point, or from your local bike shop. See www.osi.ie/blog/irelands-greenways-and-trails for a full list of the country’s greenways.

More Greenway news and jobs

https://www.waterfordlive.ie/news/home/364466/plans-for-waterford-visitor-centre-underway-after-new-irish-whiskey-company-natterjack-purchases-historic-building.html
    As an independent Irish whiskey company, Gortinore Distillers & Co uses the finest raw materials, skills and traditions that Ireland has to offer. With backing from five private investors Aidan and his co-founders - including two of Aidan’s closest friends and his dad Denis - they have purchased The Old Mill at Kilmacthomas in County Waterford, with plans underway for a full repair and restoration of the original 1920s home to Flahavan’s Irish porridge oats.

Once complete, the distillery will house three traditional copper pot stills and ageing whiskey casks, employing up to 15 people and becoming Ireland’s only working distillery to be retrofit into a 150-year-old building.

This was first mooted in 2016 so it's taken time.

noby wrote: »
    Walkers don't need to move out of the way, just keep to the left. The bell is just a warning that a cyclist is about to overtake you.
    In theory yes, But my experience as a cyclist is that walkers spread themselves across the entire path, in groups of three and four with maybe a dog on a long lead as well.

A single walker or maybe a couple walking alongside each other can stay to the left and leave room for cyclists to overtake.

Children ramble from one side the the other too and you can't really expect them to stay left of an imaginary line.

I said it before, - it's almost impossible to accommodate both walkers and cyclists on a relatively narrow track. I don't know what the answer is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

inthehat wrote: »
    In theory yes, But my experience as a cyclist is that walkers spread themselves across the entire path, in groups of three and four with maybe a dog on a long lead as well.

A single walker or maybe a couple walking alongside each other can stay to the left and leave room for cyclists to overtake.

Children ramble from one side the the other too and you can't really expect them to stay left of an imaginary line.

I said it before, - it's almost impossible to accommodate both walkers and cyclists on a relatively narrow track. I don't know what the answer is.

Answer is a bit of cop on from adults.

Even more again in Dungarvan

https://beat102103.com/news/former-bank-in-county-waterford-to-be-turned-into-a-bar/?fbclid=IwAR2ASuvkG_9rtdQ9j7Z5xlwP9zqNat2alqdvNVX4QeIA98pviZWN7eyqReo

West Waterford are really making a go of the greeenway not so much for the city only a few bike hire companies and that's it,the council need to make access better from the city and allow for some pop-up shops/food trucks/camping all along it but i dont think that will ever happen.

• Advertisement

The problem with the Greenway is that it terminates badly in the arse of the city. It needs to run right along the quays. With Dungarvan it's perfect really - you sweep down from the bucolic sticks straight into the heart of the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Probably missing the point folks. Dungarvan is a smallish town (Tramore is bigger) which has discovered a focus on tourism which the Greenway (built with city funding) has delivered. Great. County Council would never have done it. City is a completely different organism and on a different scale. Greenway is a bit of tourism here, but real action is acute medical facilities, third level education., Foreign Direct Investment, IDA jobs, regional service centre, port development, airport development etc Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Probably missing the point folks. Dungarvan is a smallish town (Tramore is bigger) which has discovered a focus on tourism which the Greenway (built with city funding) has delivered. Great. County Council would never have done it. City is a completely different organism and on a different scale. Greenway is a bit of tourism here, but real action is acute medical facilities, third level education., Foreign Direct Investment, IDA jobs, regional service centre, port development, airport development etc Get a grip.

Get a grip yourself and have a look at the thread you are on....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There are no separate city and county councils any more either.

Azimuth needs to check his angles.

Tourism is important, the Viking Triangle is great but we need more than that and the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Get a grip yourself and have a look at the thread you are on....;)

I bow to the reality of umpteen thousand previous posts. No offence was meant. Same to Mr Palmr. Tourism is hugely important.

The Greenway isnt just for tourists its for Waterford folk too

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

The problem with the Greenway is that it terminates badly in the arse of the city. It needs to run right along the quays. With Dungarvan it's perfect really - you sweep down from the bucolic sticks straight into the heart of the action.

I also think there should be a high quality cycle path through the city centre too, from the quays at the clocktower joining the greenway there up to the apple market with suitable cycle parking along that length so you could visit the shops within sight of your bike. This would encourage so many more on to their bikes by just making cycling more visible.

Also it would be nice if they could integrate a cycle way on the new bridge to the north quays they are planning...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Azatadine

The section around Bilberry is definitely the weak link. From the bridge to the entrance is atrocious.

Someone (a councilor) has proposed a river taxi service, he had this idea back in the early 00s but was rebuffed on grounds of heavy river traffic but he thinks it's time to give it another go as the City stretch of the river is now almost entirely leisure based.

What struck me is that if launches large enough for bicycles was put into service you could offer a service that takes people from the Greenway termination to the Viking Quarter at the Tower and then on to the Dunmore Road area (Maypark Lane) so punters can cycle out to places like GrowHQ, Woodstown, Passage etc and then back on the launch or down the ORR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    I also think there should be a high quality cycle path through the city centre too, from the quays at the clocktower joining the greenway there up to the apple market with suitable cycle parking along that length so you could visit the shops within sight of your bike. This would encourage so many more on to their bikes by just making cycling more visible.

Also it would be nice if they could integrate a cycle way on the new bridge to the north quays they are planning...

Unless enforcement improves, it would just be another car park, like every other cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

I'm meaning a segregated cycle path like the greenaway, maybe just 5ft to 6ft across

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Azatadine wrote: »
    The section around Bilberry is definitely the weak link. From the bridge to the entrance is atrocious.

Yeah Greenway ends at a halting site and a boatyard filled with rusting boats lmao.

True. Even the road through the rusty boatyard and halting site is atrocious. Not very inviting to a tourist who wants to cycle from the bike hire place to the greenway. Id say they have second thoughts!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is it because of 'cycle' being mentioned in the heading of this thread that it seems so concentrated on the Greenway's use by cyclists?

There is not a lot of mention of walkers, pram pushers, wheelchair users and children's safety while walking off road etc.

It is a great facility to have, for all users.

I'm amazed the Fastnet yard hasn't been encouraged to sling it's hook to a location down river or even across to that plot of land just east of the Red Iron bridge) to be honest. Obviously it would need some help from planners and the council purse to expedite a move but if the Greenway is ever going to avoid embarrassment at the City end then something has to be done down there.

I'm amazed the Fastnet yard hasn't been encouraged to sling it's hook to a location down river or even across to that plot of land just east of the Red Iron bridge) to be honest. Obviously it would need some help from planners and the council purse to expedite a move but if the Greenway is ever going to avoid embarrassment at the City end then something has to be done down there.

Its open two years next month and still no access from the city as others have said a halting site isnt the most welcoming thing to be looking at for visitors to the city

They were going to put travellers into the bungalow up quarry road too. Unbelievable. Literally at the entrance..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

What with the parking facilities, and bike rental, is the WIT arena becoming the defacto 'Start' (or end) of the Greenway?

It would be a shame if it is. In Dungarvan last summer you could really see the boost with visitors cycling right in to the town.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think it is. I know a lot of people from Wexford who go to the WIT entrance. It's a nice clean easily accessible point of entry. No rusty boats, traveller halting sites or poorly surfaced road.

Advertisement