Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    just too expensive and to be honest i think the other surface looks better, somewhat more natural in colour than the tarmac

I think they planned much more tarmac but with the farmers gouging as much as they could they started to run out of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ericaa wrote: »
    I haven't actually seen that finished surface yet. As for the expense, that's fair enough although I'm still sad about it lol

never thought of rollerblading in regards surface finish, it probably would be difficult on the graveled surface. there are a few sections tarmaced though,so you should be fine there, and you can make a judgment yourself if the gravel is doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

never thought of rollerblading in regards surface finish, it probably would be difficult on the graveled surface. there are a few sections tarmaced though,so you should be fine there, and you can make a judgment yourself if the gravel is doable.

Yeah I'll be there on the open day so I'll get a good go of it then, weather permitting of course :P

my3cents wrote: »
    I think they planned much more tarmac but with the farmers gouging as much as they could they started to run out of money.

looks like they did originally plan for it all to be tarmaced but i do think the gravel surface is nicer. ah these projects always tend to run over budget from unforeseen circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

looks like they did originally plan for it all to be tarmaced but i do think the gravel surface is nicer. ah these projects always tend to run over budget from unforeseen circumstances.

This project has gone massively over budget, we are talking double digit in the million.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    This project has gone massively over budget, we are talking double digit in the million.

10 million was mentioned at the public meeting last year but ive been informed by a county engineer its gone well over that, didnt get a figure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Figure around €15M being mentioned by some who should know, but that's just what's accounted for to date not what has actually been spent or being committed to being spent....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I was wondering what type of upkeep / maintenance is planned into the future. I imagine weeds growing through the surface will be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

A lot of activity out there this week big push to get it officially open for Saturday,there is still a bit of work to be done after the opening id imagine but its full steam ahead now and the place looks great so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Beeker wrote: »
    I was wondering what type of upkeep / maintenance is planned into the future. I imagine weeds growing through the surface will be a problem.

Depends on how the path was constructed, was an impermeable layer put down first I wonder? Otherwise some weed killer concoction will get used every so often I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Maybe there will be sufficient traffic to keep the weeds down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Yeah €80 million one farmer in kilmeaden told me......trouble is what was the original estimate??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

80 million? You could build a motorway to Dungarvan for that much. Someone is bandying numbers about

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Yeah €80 million one farmer in kilmeaden told me......trouble is what was the original estimate??

Also it's worth keeping in mind that nearly all public jobs world wide run over budget e.g. Redevelopment of wembley stadium, Montreal olympics, Athens olympics to name a few

Road-Hog wrote: »

Also it's worth keeping in mind that nearly all public jobs world wide run over budget e.g. Redevelopment of wembley stadium, Montreal olympics, Athens olympics to name a few

I think if this did cost 80 million they would of been able to tarmac it all! 80 million :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

They once built a cycle lane from Tramore half way to Waterford City that cost over 600k. This involved painting a (pointless) line in the hard shoulder and then cutting a few hedges. Nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭JMcL

I think it's a real pity that they're not tarmacking the whole way, I roller skate and was hoping to skate the whole thing in Summer :(

I'd think the chipping surface would be a bit much for the wheel size of skates/blades, it's quite loose in parts as well, though that'll sort itself out fairly quickly with use. I've been on all of it that's open so far and Bilberry-Carraiganore and around Kilmac, plus if memory serves (while since I've been on it) the Dungarvan side of Clonea, are the only bits that are tarmac,

JMcL wrote: »
    I'd think the chipping surface would be a bit much for the wheel size of skates/blades, it's quite loose in parts as well, though that'll sort itself out fairly quickly with use. I've been on all of it that's open so far and Bilberry-Carraiganore and around Kilmac, plus if memory serves (while since I've been on it) the Dungarvan side of Clonea, are the only bits that are tarmac,

Yeah I've since been on the gravel type surface. It sure kept me on my toes, at any second I could have face planted :pac:

I think it's a real pity that they're not tarmacking the whole way, I roller skate and was hoping to skate the whole thing in Summer :(

Are rollerskates/skateboards allowed on it?,if they are i presume you will have to have a bell like the cyclists?

• Advertisement

Are rollerskates/skateboards allowed on it?,if they are i presume you will have to have a bell like the cyclists?

Yes skates are allowed on it. Haven't heard anything regarding skateboards.
    No bells.

Yes skates are allowed on it. Haven't heard anything regarding skateboards.
    No bells.

Would you not be doing similar speeds to cyclists?,on the tarmac sections how will you alert walkers that you are coming behind them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Would you not be doing similar speeds to cyclists?,on the tarmac sections how will you alert walkers that you are coming behind them?

Sing loudly?

:D:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Same way a runner would, make some noise. I generally cough or something.

Personally I'm not seeing the issue, it's not an issue in the likes of Germany. Can't see how it can suddenly be an issue here

Cabaal wrote: »
    Same way a runner would, make some noise. I generally cough or something.

Personally I'm not seeing the issue, it's not an issue in the likes of Germany. Can't see how it can suddenly be an issue here

Im not saying its an issue i dont skate or cycle so was just wondering :)

But i haven't seen a cyclist use a bell yet and the lycra brigade travel at speed and can just appear out of nowhere on the tarmac,it would be nice if everyone used a bell but i know thats not going to happen.

But i haven't seen a cyclist use a bell yet and the lycra brigade travel at speed and can just appear out of nowhere on the tarmac,it would be nice if everyone used a bell but i know thats not going to happen.

cant see 'the lycra brigade' using it much at all, ive spoken to many, they generally understand the purpose of the greenway and express no interest in using it as they use the roads normally.

cant see 'the lycra brigade' using it much at all, ive spoken to many, they generally understand the purpose of the greenway and express no interest in using it as they use the roads normally.

I walk it most days and always see at least one or two abreast cycling it

I walk it most days and always see at least one or two abreast cycling it

ah im sure they ll be plenty of cyclists using it but i suspect most wont be cycling quickly as they do on the roads, of course there will be the odd one

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Recently ran clonea to past kilmacthomas and back and encountered a fair few cyclists. I'd say about half had and used bells. So certainly people are using them. Encountered a few people on road bikes but they were all doing reasonable speeds

While bells often tend to come as standard in hybrid bikes they don't tend to come with Road bikes or mountain bikes so I'm not surprised not everyone has or uses one.

As for the lycra brigade, honestly anyone in anyway semi serious about going out on a road bike is going to find the greenway unsuitable. This is for a few reasons.

- It would be unsafe to do 30km/hour plus on it
    - None tarmac section are not great on road bikes
    - dogs on leads are lethal if the run infront of you

All in all, I wouldn't worry about them

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »

As for the lycra brigade, honestly anyone in anyway semi serious about going out on a road bike is going to find the greenway unsuitable. This is for a few reasons.

- It would be unsafe to do 30km/hour plus on it
    - None tarmac section are not great on road bikes
    - dogs on leads are lethal if the run infront of you

All in all, I wouldn't worry about them

Ah yeah ive a few friends who are big into it and have spent thousands on bikes and i know they wont be using it id say its the Aldi lycra brigade that will be on it more so

Advertisement