Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

beazee wrote: »
    Yep. You're correct @Wanderer78

I read the question as - "where can I rent a bike to cycle one-way only (46 km is bit on a high side) and be collected by the shuttle bus on the way back"

i actually think there could be a market opportunity there for just transport:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i actually think there could be a market opportunity there for just transport:)

I'm sure if you talked to the bike rental crowd they may do it for a fee, worth a try

Cabaal wrote:
    I'm sure if you talked to the bike rental crowd they may do it for a fee, worth a try

Yea I'd say I 'll have to do that, I'd have no problem paying, they are running a business after all

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Just read this on one of the rentals FAQ's:

"If we have our own bikes can we pay and use your shuttle bus service?
    No sorry we would be in breach of the taxi regulations if we were to accept reward in return for transport. So we are unable to offer this service."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

muloc wrote: »
    Is this 100% complete now?

No. But it is passable. I did the length of it. From Dungarvan to about 5k past Kilmac Thomas it is complete more or less. Once you cross the cork road after carrolls cross the surface is inconsistent and not great in a few places.. fences on the sides aren't finished.. The section into kilmeaden station is rough and from there to carraiganore looks like a temporary surface for me especially on the bridges which had wood / rubber mat thingies on them.

All in all though it's passable for its entire length. I was on a relately narrow tyred racing bike but less experienced cyclists might be more comfortable on a mountain or hybrid bike. I reckon one or two of the areas that look unfinished could be a little slippy in the wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Lads, would the greenway be a suitable place for a sulky race?

Would be perfect, Boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Did a bit of it from the Ballinroad/Clonea car park with the family and dog yesterday - very busy, and great to see.

Didn't hear any bike bells, but had a good few loud calls of 'On the right!', which is just as effective IMO. No-one going dangerously fast. Plenty of bikes, skateboards, buggys, joggers, dogs etc.

The little playground by the crooked bridge is a nice addition.

One small quibble - there is a small collection of, er, full doggy bags being left next to a sign just on the greenway by the car park. Why would anyone do that? Complete the job by taking it away with you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    No. But it is passable. I did the length of it. From Dungarvan to about 5k past Kilmac Thomas it is complete more or less. Once you cross the cork road after carrolls cross the surface is inconsistent and not great in a few places.. fences on the sides aren't finished.. The section into kilmeaden station is rough and from there to carraiganore looks like a temporary surface for me especially on the bridges which had wood / rubber mat thingies on them.

All in all though it's passable for its entire length. I was on a relately narrow tyred racing bike but less experienced cyclists might be more comfortable on a mountain or hybrid bike. I reckon one or two of the areas that look unfinished could be a little slippy in the wet.

Good to know. Would like to do the full length in the near future - sounds like a job for the hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is a bus service every hour Waterford/Dungarvan, and in theory they carry bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Quigs Snr wrote: »

The bridges surface is temporary but the rest is finished,the place is open but nowhere near 100% finished i was out today and it really looked great full of people and loads of tourists which it good to see,15 million well spent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

noby wrote: »
    One small quibble - there is a small collection of, er, full doggy bags being left next to a sign just on the greenway by the car park. Why would anyone do that? Complete the job by taking it away with you please.

Its exactly the same as you come off the beach at Clonea and Clonea Castle car parks. Sh!t gets picked up but then dumped when no one is looking.

looksee wrote: »
    There is a bus service every hour Waterford/Dungarvan, and in theory they carry bikes.

i suspect regular bus services will refuse greenway cyclists and understandably so. its a perfect opportunity for somebody with a minibus and trailer though.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I cycled from Bilberry to just beyond Kilmac today, as Quigs has stated, the surface from Carriganore to beyond the SV railway station is not great, it's a bit of a struggle on a road bike to be honest. A few hundred yards past the SV station the greenway is actually closed, there was a guy standing there saying it would be closed to a period of up to 3 weeks, there was a few tourists there and they were slightly annoyed over this as was I to be honest. He diverted up down a lane and this brought us out on to the main N25. As i am used to cycling on the road, I didnt mind too much but the five tourists that were there decided to turn back. There were no sign posts or anything else saying where you could enter back on to the greenway.
    I got back on at the old crossing gates a few hundred yards beyond the long hall tavern. From here in to Kilmac the surface was noticeably better and was perfectly fine for road bike wheels. The closer I got to Kilmac the busier the greenway was too. I reckon it will be very popular out along that way. I turned around and headed back after Kilmac.
    On the way back I got as far as the tunnel which goes under the main road, only to be met by another guy explaining that the section was closed for about 3km, this guy was more helpful than the other guy, he gave good directions on where to get back on to the greenway. I asked him how long it would be closed for, he seemed to think about a week to 10 days at most. When I got back on to the greenway, a different guy was there and he seemed to be giving people directions ok.
    The people whom I spoke to today were generally annoyed that the greenway is being advertised as being fully open but this unfortunately isn't the case. Besides this I enjoyed my cycle on it today and there were plenty out there taking advantage of the good weather. Oh and in total I cycled 50km on the greenway today and I did not see one bit of dogs crap anywhere along the route, which I was amazed by. Hopefully it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Aquos76 wrote: »
    A few hundred yards past the SV station the greenway is actually closed, there was a guy standing there saying it would be closed to a period of up to 3 weeks

This doesn't surprise me.. there is a piece not far after where they seem to be building some sort of structure, like an underpass, although no bridge overhead to be seen, but at any rate, it was a building site and for a short few yards seemed like hard packed mud to me that would turn to sludge on a bad day. I remember thinking that I wouldn't like to meet that coming the opposite direction on a road bike. So I'd say thats the piece they are finishing.

Near there were plenty of recently cresoted fence beams lying on the ground ready to be mounted to posts.

I am not surprised to hear its closing to be finished.

Great uptake on it so far. I was on it on Stephens day too from around Kilmac to Dungarvan and even then it was packed around Kilmac.

Disappointed to hear that the Carraiganore to Kilmeaden section is actually finished apart from the bridges.. I mean, hey I'll take it, its still great, but I wonder why its basically smooth tarmac in places and packed stones there on one of the most dramatic sections ? Ran out of budget perhaps ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Aquos76, thanks for the post.
    I was hoping on running 20miles out from Waterford and 20miles back, sort of annoyed now I can't run the entire distance on the greenway especially considering they said its opened.

It better be open in mid April when I'm doing the entire thing out and back!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Cabaal wrote: »
    Aquos76, thanks for the post.
    I was hoping on running 20miles out from Waterford and 20miles back, sort of annoyed now I can't run the entire distance on the greenway especially considering they said its opened.

It better be open in mid April when I'm doing the entire thing out and back!

Out and back, wow, that's dedication.

PM if you want to do it all one way and want a lift back, I travel that road a lot and can give a lift if you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

looksee wrote: »
    On the subject of bike bells - I was walking on the Greenway and after a few cyclists had passed me from behind I said something to the effect that it would e helpful if they had bells. I was told that the latest batch did have bells and had rung them. I am an older person with high frequency hearing loss (in spite of a hearing aid). Now I am aware I will take extra care, but it might be worth noting that this is a possibility.

The trouble is that it's impossible to get an old-fashioned loud steel bell now. The aluminium ones just don't have the same loud 'BRRRINNNGGG' sound that people can actually hear for a long way. Gap in the market for some clever manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Chuchote wrote: »
    The trouble is that it's impossible to get an old-fashioned loud steel bell now. The aluminium ones just don't have the same loud 'BRRRINNNGGG' sound that people can actually hear for a long way. Gap in the market for some clever manufacturer.

There has to be something small and electronic with a trendy USB charger built into it that does the same job and is even louder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I dont know why they are advertising this a fully open when its clearly not,Bilberry is not finished and its not even an access point on the official map i was out towards Kilmeaden today and there is a lot of work going on at the platform into the train station its impassable on a bike,then in the station there's a big warning sign saying that the greenway is closed approximately 3.1km from this location i walked about 1km up the road and there's another big sign saying no access from this point there was people working on fencing just beyond that but i turned around and headed back i didnt see what was happening further up.

They really should of waited until all the big jobs likes the bridges and underpasses were finished before they officially opened it i know they wanted to open on the 25th because it was 50 years to the day since the last train used the line but they should of waited its still a health and safety risk,those rubber mat things on the bridges are deadly for cyclists in the wet if they have to suddenly brake even walking on them they're very slippery,plus all the tourists coming here thinking its fully open only to be told its closed quarter way through..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

my3cents wrote: »
    There has to be something small and electronic with a trendy USB charger built into it that does the same job and is even louder?
    Something like this?
    https://www.thehornit.com/

I gave up on it as you could be stopped beside a car, with your horn right up at the driver's ear (oooh Matron) and they still wouldn't hear a thing through the window.

I think we'll have to ban audio systems in cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I dont know why they are advertising this a fully open when its clearly not,Bilberry is not finished and its not even an access point on the official map i was out towards Kilmeaden today and there is a lot of work going on at the platform into the train station its impassable on a bike,then in the station there's a big warning sign saying that the greenway is closed approximately 3.1km from this location i walked about 1km up the road and there's another big sign saying no access from this point there was people working on fencing just beyond that but i turned around and headed back i didnt see what was happening further up.

They really should of waited until all the big jobs likes the bridges and underpasses were finished before they officially opened it i know they wanted to open on the 25th because it was 50 years to the day since the last train used the line but they should of waited its still a health and safety risk,those rubber mat things on the bridges are deadly for cyclists in the wet if they have to suddenly brake even walking on them they're very slippery,plus all the tourists coming here thinking its fully open only to be told its closed quarter way through..

I agree, but hopefully it'll all be finished off very soon.

Any idea how long the closure at Kildermody is going to be in place for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

fricatus wrote: »
    I agree, but hopefully it'll all be finished off very soon.

Any idea how long the closure at Kildermody is going to be in place for?

Surfacing works between kildermody and kilmeaden station.....shouldn't take more than a week I was told. But unfortunately there will be further works such as fencing that will have to take place but at least the Greenway can remain open during this type of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Surfacing works between kildermody and kilmeaden station.....shouldn't take more than a week I was told. But unfortunately there will be further works such as fencing that will have to take place but at least the Greenway can remain open during this type of work?

I remember being able to walk the section near Kilmacthomas while they were still putting up fences, so hopefully it can remain open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Something like this?
    https://www.thehornit.com/

I gave up on it as you could be stopped beside a car, with your horn right up at the driver's ear (oooh Matron) and they still wouldn't hear a thing through the window.

I think we'll have to ban audio systems in cars.

Seriously, a bicycle bell works best, in my experience - people hear it and think "bicycle".

Maybe it helps that I'm a harmless-looking crone.

As for your horn in the driver's ear :cool: perhaps, but you'll also have to get it in past pedestrians' earbuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭JMcL

Road-Hog wrote: »

Depends on the type of fence I suppose. I was on the stretch between Carroll's Cross and Kilmac a couple of weeks ago - not "officially" open at the time - and there were a couple of lads putting up a concrete fence beside a house with a mini digger. I just waited til they were both aware I was there and there was a way past open. If there's any machinery involved on the Kilmeaden stretch at this stage though I can't imagine it would be open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Driving past the Kilmeaden SV stop and the Carriganore car parks this afternoon at about 4.30, both were heaving. With plenty of people to be spotted on the Greenway itself from the bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Was hiking the Comeraghs today up at Coumshingaun and iv never seen it so busy. The car park at the woods was packed and a good few cars out parked up on the side of the roads. Might possibly be due to the Greenway. People so close to the mountains so they might pop over for a look.

alta stare wrote: »
    Was hiking the Comeraghs today up at Coumshingaun and iv never seen it so busy. The car park at the woods was packed and a good few cars out parked up on the side of the roads. Might possibly be due to the Greenway. People so close to the mountains so they might pop over for a look.

kilclooney woods car park is nearly always busy on days like today, comeragh mountaineering club were walking in that area today as well so were also using the same car park. hope you had a good time, hopefully we ll see you on the mountains again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    kilclooney woods car park is nearly always busy on days like today, comeragh mountaineering club were walking in that area today as well so were also using the same car park. hope you had a good time, hopefully we ll see you on the mountains again soon.

Ah yeah to be fair it is a great hike and i know it can be busy and i do be up there regularly enough but i was surprised at how many cars were there yesterday. I purposely avoided going from Mahon Falls as i figured that would be heaving, little did i expect such a crowd over at the woods.

• Advertisement

alta stare wrote:
    Ah yeah to be fair it is a great hike and i know it can be busy and i do be up there regularly enough but i was surprised at how many cars were there yesterday. I purposely avoided going from Mahon Falls as i figured that would be heaving, little did i expect such a crowd over at the woods.

I'd say Mahon falls was a no go area yesterday, generally is on days like that, but I'm not surprised to hear about kilclooney as well, very popular spot, lovely walk to

Advertisement