Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Would you not be doing similar speeds to cyclists?,on the tarmac sections how will you alert walkers that you are coming behind them?

Not really no, it's harder to go fast on skates than on a bike. We also don't have a huge chunk of metal between our legs that could damage someone.

You'd be able to hear skates approaching anyway, plus we can just use our voices if it proves that much of a problem, which it hasn't, ever.
    Sing loudly?

:D:D

Or this :pac:
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Same way a runner would, make some noise. I generally cough or something.

Personally I'm not seeing the issue, it's not an issue in the likes of Germany. Can't see how it can suddenly be an issue here

It's not an issue, I can dodge someone last second if I have to anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Most of the cyclists I have seen on the Greenway are families, and with a single exception, all cyclists have been reasonable ad using the Greenway in a considerate manner. The one exception was a pair of tourists (not the 'aldi lycra brigade') who were moving at rather hazardous speed considering it was Sunday afternoon and there were a lot of walkers and family groups out.

One thing I did notice was that around the Kilmac village where it is possible to do a round walk across the viaduct and back down the mainstreet, the local dog walkers are not cleaning up after their dogs. The rest of the Greenway that I have been on is pretty good but the Kilmac dog owners need to get their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

The dog owners need to get their **** together.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

looksee wrote: »
    Most of the cyclists I have seen on the Greenway are families, and with a single exception, all cyclists have been reasonable ad using the Greenway in a considerate manner. The one exception was a pair of tourists (not the 'aldi lycra brigade') who were moving at rather hazardous speed considering it was Sunday afternoon and there were a lot of walkers and family groups out.

One thing I did notice was that around the Kilmac village where it is possible to do a round walk across the viaduct and back down the mainstreet, the local dog walkers are not cleaning up after their dogs. The rest of the Greenway that I have been on is pretty good but the Kilmac dog owners need to get their act together.

Maybe the culprits are visiting dogs needing to unload after a long walk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

What a day for the official opening, absolutely gorgeous and to top it off Racing is pulling ahead of Clermont at Stade Yves du Manoir after being beaten 47 - 10 in their first encounter earlier this season..... magical stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Absolutely fantastic today on greenway by WIT carriganore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Lads, would the greenway be a suitable place for a sulky race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Lads, would the greenway be a suitable place for a sulky race?

How thick is your skin?

Or put it another way NO!

my3cents wrote: »
    How thick is your skin?

Or put it another way NO!

What about cultural diversity and inclusion and all that?

Disgraceful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    What about cultural diversity and inclusion and all that?

Disgraceful!

LOL Nice bit of trolling.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    LOL Nice bit of trolling.

Thank you. I always appreciate someone who knows what actual trolling is.

Anyways, my father used to bring me and the brothers and sisters up along the greenway when it was known as the new line or new tracks. I'm going back to the 1980s here. It was absolutely gorgeous walking along the tracks on a summer's evening.

It's obviously going to be a lot better now with what they've put in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

On the greenway today and I can see an accident happening at the tunnel, not one cyclist obeyed the dismount sign out of the 40+ I encountered.

Few cyclists decided to cycle in the middle or right rather then even keeping left, very disappointed to report a group of 10 Road bike lads enter the tunnel at a fairly unsafe speed and instead of dismounting or seriously slowing down they overtook a family on bikes who had stopped and squeezed between them and a group of walkers... Myself included.

Most people seemed to keep left (both cyclists and walkers) but certainly a few cyclists that need to slow down when approaching walkers. Had one almost clip my dog even though I had the dog literally stuck to my leg at the time (she was scared of the bikes so she'd cower in against me when they'd pass.)

Not all negative though, fantastic weather today and great to see so many people out and about. Def worth the 15million I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

On the greenway today and I can see an accident happening at the tunnel, not one cyclist obeyed the dismount sign out of the 40+ I encountered.

Few cyclists decided to cycle in the middle or right rather then even keeping left, very disappointed to report a group of 10 Road bike lads enter the tunnel at a fairly unsafe speed and instead of dismounting or seriously slowing down they overtook a family on bikes who had stopped and squeezed between them and a group of walkers... Myself included.

Most people seemed to keep left (both cyclists and walkers) but certainly a few cyclists that need to slow down when approaching walkers. Had one almost clip my dog even though I had the dog literally stuck to my leg at the time (she was scared of the bikes so she'd cower in against me when they'd pass.)

Not all negative though, fantastic weather today and great to see so many people out and about. Def worth the 15million I think.

There has already been one or two very serious accidents, one involving a child.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    There has already been one or two very serious accidents, one involving a child.

Not surprised if that's the case,
    Coming from the Dungarven side the tunnel was much darker today and you could easily miss a small dog or child if you were cycling at fast speed.

Must say I was disappointed to see road bikers cycling at such speeds, while no doubt most road bike users will stick to main roads where they can safely travel at 30km plus, it was still disappointing to see such a large group cycling without consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Part of the "lycra brigade" - Not the Aldi one. Just looking for a less boring way and easy way to wind down my spin today and rode solo along the greenway on the way home for the day that was in it. Found everyone pretty well behaved, cyclists and pedestrians alike. Pretty difficult to stay on the left at times however as folks were all over the place. It didn't bother me that I had to slow to walking pace or swap sides every now and then when folks were in the wrong lane, if I go on the greenway, I accept that this will be the case.

The more dangerous cyclists (to themselves probably) were the less experienced ones who were making some pretty exaggerated movements to avoid people and nearly crashing into each other. I gave them a very wide berth. Great to see them all out just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Not surprised if that's the case,
    Coming from the Dungarven side the tunnel was much darker today and you could easily miss a small dog or child if you were cycling at fast speed.

Must say I was disappointed to see road bikers cycling at such speeds, while no doubt most road bike users will stick to main roads where they can safely travel at 30km plus, it was still disappointing to see such a large group cycling without consideration.

Maybe if you accidentally/unpurposely gave a couple of them a nudge/push and flattened a couple of them along with some appropriately chosen 'verbals' they might think twice about speeding along a busy Greenway in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Not been on the Greenway in a while but I thought the dismount through the tunnel was only while it was unlit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They should just put some awkward decorative features at each end of the tunnel.

Roanmore wrote: »
    Not been on the Greenway in a while but I thought the dismount through the tunnel was only while it was unlit?

The signs at each end just ask to dismount, nothing about it being when ti is lit or unlit. Cyclists are also asked to dismount at the underpasses so this is nothing about lighting,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭looksee

On the subject of bike bells - I was walking on the Greenway and after a few cyclists had passed me from behind I said something to the effect that it would e helpful if they had bells. I was told that the latest batch did have bells and had rung them. I am an older person with high frequency hearing loss (in spite of a hearing aid). Now I am aware I will take extra care, but it might be worth noting that this is a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

You're also asked to dismount entering KILMEADAN platform.

The place was packed over the weekend. With all tables occupied and children running freely around.

how will you alert walkers that you are coming behind them?
    Sing loudly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

can just appear out of nowhere on the tarmac
    Really? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭muloc

Is this 100% complete now?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

muloc wrote: »
    Is this 100% complete now?

i dont think its 100% complete but i think its mostly useable now

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭muloc

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i dont think its 100% complete but i think its mostly useable now

Great.

Anyone know of any bike hire companies that will transport you one way so you don't have to cycle both ways?

muloc wrote: »
    Great.

Anyone know of any bike hire companies that will transport you one way so you don't have to cycle both ways?

im in the middle of this search as we speak, i havent found anybody yet but im not exactly trying that hard either. let me know if you come across anybody, thanks. theres a few businesses renting bikes but i cant seem to find anybody thats willing to just transport bike and rider.

beazee wrote: »

please correct me if im wrong, but isnt the shuttle services only available to renters?

• Advertisement

Yep. You're correct @Wanderer78

I read the question as - "where can I rent a bike to cycle one-way only (46 km is bit on a high side) and be collected by the shuttle bus on the way back"

Advertisement