Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

BBM77 wrote: »
    You clearly don’t have to use that road or live in an area affected by the change.

I'm from Waterford, that's enough,I use the road irregularly, enough to know its a road not fit for two way traffic and concerned about loss of a valuable tourist product for local economy,,IMO, the choice was out there and people took the mé fein /nimby approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is there no way to route a path round the back/side of the Watergate complex (what the **** is that doing there btw?!) and then follow the riverside? The Fastnet site is a derelict eyesore and needs a complete site clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

are they better off making the carriganore entrance the main entrance to the greenway until this is resolved? id really rather not have users use the bilberry entrance for the moment, its just not safe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Why not fix up the old red iron bridge and bring the greenway down along the the north side of the river alongside the railway and have the city access at the railway station.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    are they better off making the carriganore entrance the main entrance to the greenway until this is resolved? id really rather not have users use the bilberry entrance for the moment, its just not safe.

Probably right until can be done properly.where is entrance to greenway in carriganore?
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    Probably right until can be done properly.where is entrance to greenway in carriganore?
    Cheers.

i actually dont know exactly where this is in carriganore but i must go looking for it and report back

As far as I know you turn off ring road at WIT Arena follow road past same towards Arc Labs - on right is Carraganore House, go down road on the right through the trees and you cross over the by pass and come down by the greenway.

As far as I know you turn off ring road at WIT Arena follow road past same towards Arc Labs - on right is Carraganore House, go down road on the right through the trees and you cross over the by pass and come down by the greenway.

im wondering, is there room to install a temporary car park and access point there until this is figured out?

I ask because I was out there in summer and I saw no over/under pass to get across bypass and onto river/greenway side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

I'm from Waterford, that's enough,I use the road irregularly, enough to know its a road not fit for two way traffic and concerned about loss of a valuable tourist product for local economy,,IMO, the choice was out there and people took the mé fein /nimby approach.

Sure what is this only a mé fein approach. You don’t have to live with consequences of the change but you think it should happen because it suits your point of view.

I think you forget that the city centre / inner city area is a place to be used, lived in and worked in, it is not some ambition or design test area by people who at times I wonder ever come even come into the city centre. There was a great article in last weeks News and Star about a business in O’Connell St. It spoke about the effect that the change that stopped cars turning left up Bridge St from The Quay and the removal of some parking spaces on O’Connell St has had on the business. It caused business to drop by about half (can’t remember the exact figure now). The point is the removal of a left turn or making Bilberry one way may seem like trivial changes worth the inconvenience to people who irregularly come into the city centre but to people who live, work and generally regularly use the city centre they can have a lot of negative consequences. This does not seem to come into the thinking of some people, people in the city and county council included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

I and hundreds more Foundry workers cycled and walked up and down that road for years. I don't recall anybody being injured much less killed in my time using it. An odd person had a run in with the goats alright.

jelutong wrote: »
    I and hundreds more Foundry workers cycled and walked up and down that road for years. I don't recall anybody being injured much less killed in my time using it. An odd person had a run in with the goats alright.

i dont think its safe enough now to have people unfamiliar with the area, walking and cycling , up and down that road. i do think an alternative should be looked at until this is resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I ask because I was out there in summer and I saw no over/under pass to get across bypass and onto river/greenway side.

Were you walking with your eyes closed its a big bridge that was built when they built the by-pass,it would be very very hard to miss if you walked the greenway from bilberry to mount congrave

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It's an overpass on the new by=pass, it is easy to miss it if you are not taking specific notice.

Were you walking with your eyes closed its a big bridge that was built when they built the by-pass,it would be very very hard to miss if you walked the greenway from bilberry to mount congrave

Must have been, only over pass can recall near carriganore is the one you would use if exciting bypass to head towards Harvey Norman.

Must have been, only over pass can recall near carriganore is the one you would use if exciting bypass to head towards Harvey Norman.

Must be blind yeah, went down there, saw overpass but is blocked by 2 gates.

Must be blind yeah, went down there, saw overpass but is blocked by 2 gates.

Yeah thats it i haven't been over it myself yet but a lot of people use it,i was talking to a guy from the council down there one morning and he said that was going to be the entrance and it would have a car park cafe etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I see work has finally begun on the section west of kilmeaden, looking good for the whole thing to be finished by the opening day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭julyjane

I see on the route for this year's Viking marathon, people will cross the toll bridge and then go onto the greenway from the road, does anyone know where this will be, is there an access point already there or will it be put in nearer the race? I'm not very familiar with the route so trying to visualise it a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭somahoney74

There's an entrance at wit arena, you'll come over the toll bridge through the roundabout onto wit arena, turn right, go through the cricket pitch, over the bridge and onto the greenway.

• Advertisement

There's an entrance at wit arena, you'll come over the toll bridge through the roundabout onto wit arena, turn right, go through the cricket pitch, over the bridge and onto the greenway.

I think this should be made the official city entry point until they figure out things at bilberry

Is there no way to route a path round the back/side of the Watergate complex (what the **** is that doing there btw?!) and then follow the riverside? The Fastnet site is a derelict eyesore and needs a complete site clean.

Looks like that is the plan to go along the river

Waterford City and County Council has said that the county’s soon-to-be opened 45km Waterford Greenway will not be left disconnected from Waterford City. Last week we reported that a direct link between the greeway and the city centre will not be in place by the expected greenway opening date of March 25

Paul Daly, director of services at the roads section of Waterford City & County Council, said: “The Bilberry to Waterford City section of the Waterford Greenway will have an interim solution while we go through procedures for a long term solution. The interim solution will be a segregated and safe cycle/footpath on the existing road and footpaths from Rice Bridge to the Old Railway at Bilberry.”

He added: “The long term solution is to run the Waterford Greenway along by the river over most of this section and the council are dealing with the landowner at the moment to achieve this. At best however it is unlikely that the long term solution will have been resolved for at least six months.”

The council issued the above statement to IrishCycle.com on Wednesday but has yet to answer when it expects such an interim solution to be in place.

While sections of the greenway are currently accessible between Dungarvan and Kilmacthomas, the 45km from Dungarvan to Bilberry on the edge of Waterford City is due to be opened on March 25.
    http://irishcycle.com/2017/02/17/waterford-greenway-will-have-link-to-waterford-city-says-council/

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

That's the original plan mooted back in 2010/11 (do a planning map search for P8 02/11 on the council's website)

Basically its widening the road out into the river from Bridge St to Bilberry Business Park, then widening the road thereafter though cp orders.

Futher to the above there is a full page in the local press this week from Eamon Quinlan who is a councillor to wit (paraphrasing) land in Bilbury will be acquired and the road widened, until then stop-go traffic management will be in place along with pavement free section (traffic lights presumably) from March 25th. No schedule is mentioned re the widening.

Futher to the above there is a full page in the local press this week from Eamon Quinlan who is a councillor to wit (paraphrasing) land in Bilbury will be acquired and the road widened, until then stop-go traffic management will be in place along with pavement free section (traffic lights presumably) from March 25th. No schedule is mentioned re the widening.

Great news if happens any time soon.

Anyone else think this is not going to be finished in 3 weeks?,ive been out there a couple of times this week and while they are making progress from Bilberry to Mount Congreve there is still a lot of work to be done from there to Kilmeaden,hopefully im wrong but i cant see it been fully open by the 25th..

Anyone else think this is not going to be finished in 3 weeks?,ive been out there a couple of times this week and while they are making progress from Bilberry to Mount Congreve there is still a lot of work to be done from there to Kilmeaden,hopefully im wrong but i cant see it been fully open by the 25th..

Yeah I have to say it looks like it will not be finished in time, still a lot of work to be done just west of Kilmeaden aswell. Can't see it being finished but still should not be long after the opening. They are doing a fantastic job and I cannot wait to make full use of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

I think it's a real pity that they're not tarmacking the whole way, I roller skate and was hoping to skate the whole thing in Summer :(

Ericaa wrote: »
    I think it's a real pity that they're not tarmacking the whole way, I roller skate and was hoping to skate the whole thing in Summer :(

just too expensive and to be honest i think the other surface looks better, somewhat more natural in colour than the tarmac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    just too expensive and to be honest i think the other surface looks better, somewhat more natural in colour than the tarmac

I haven't actually seen that finished surface yet. As for the expense, that's fair enough although I'm still sad about it lol

Advertisement