Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to rent bikes for this in the city?

Yeah there is, Donal Jacob has a business set up

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=677824522366494&id=288706771278273

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Aquos76 wrote: »
    ..... and do it properly from the start.

Fully agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

If this is to go ahead it will cause major traffic delays in the evenings, I understand that they need to get the greenway into the city, but by making this one way, and especially is the direction that in my opinion has less traffic is madness. Also, they say it's a temporary measure dependant on how long it takes for development on the old Stanley site, why don't they just issue a compulsory purchase order on the section of land they need and do it properly from the start.

I was actually thinking that myself, can they not just do it once and do it properly. The council’s solution to everything these days seems to be to create bottlenecks and screw the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Some crowd on the Kilmac section today,

BUT people are not obeying rules, walk on left, overtake on right!!
    not take over whole track like today!!
    Especially for cyclists like me who can't get through.
    I have a bell but don't want to use it if I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I'm not entirely sure where the thread is right now, but how much is open from Waterford city?

Have gravel/touring bikes for myself and herself, but would be great to know which tyres to put on before heading down. Contemplating next weekend if it's a go-er.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

OldBean wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure where the thread is right now, but how much is open from Waterford city?

Have gravel/touring bikes for myself and herself, but would be great to know which tyres to put on before heading down. Contemplating next weekend if it's a go-er.

I cycled from Ballybricken for about 3 miles about a month ago.
    It was surfaced properly for about two miles back then, but works are still in progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

This probably been answered before. ...but whose responsibility to maintain and upkeep it

Very good and enjoyable for a stroll....was on it today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

OldBean wrote: »

None of it open in the city officially anyway,but you can get on at Billberry and its tarmac for about 4km then its gravel all the way to Kilmeaden,but its still a construction site in parts and they are building four bridges from Mount Congreve to Kilmeaden.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

This probably been answered before. ...but whose responsibility to maintain and upkeep it

council

I heard of the first counts of trespassing onto private lands from access points onto the Greenway over the weekend and one count of a landowner being verbally abused when he pointed this out to an offender.

I hope these are isolated incidents and not a sign of things to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I heard of the first counts of trespassing onto private lands from access points onto the Greenway over the weekend and one count of a landowner being verbally abused when he pointed this out to an offender.

Farmer should of taken the gun out and sent them on the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

If this is to go ahead it will cause major traffic delays in the evenings, I understand that they need to get the greenway into the city, but by making this one way, and especially is the direction that in my opinion has less traffic is madness. Also, they say it's a temporary measure dependant on how long it takes for development on the old Stanley site, why don't they just issue a compulsory purchase order on the section of land they need and do it properly from the start.
    Anybody remember when Summerhill Terrace was made one way a good number of years ago? It lead to chaos . Traffic totally gummed up. Didn't stay one way for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Had my first crossing of the new Kilmac foot bridge at the weekend.....fine job. A good 50K round trip from Dungarvan to the old workhouse. I see there is bike hire in there.....is there going to be a cafe also? The track seemed to be laid beyond that but I didnt go there.......is there much beyond the workhouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

cornerboy wrote: »
    ...is there going to be a cafe also?

That was exactly my question.
    Looks like the plans are for the coffee place there.

debok wrote: »
    Cycled from kilmac to dungarvan on racer with narrow wheels. Tis grand.lot of stretches with tarmac rest is tarmac/chipped but all seemed fine to me for all types of bikes

Did Kilmac to Dungarvan and back at the weekend - as you say it's grand for the narrow wheels. Some bits of loose gravel here and there but it wasn't a major problem.
    If I was doing it again I'd pick a weekday - there were lots of dog-walkers and buggies and children on little bikes because it was a Sunday and I had to dismount a lot.
    Not complaining though - it's a brilliant and safe facility for families. Looking forward to seeing it all the way from Waterford:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭JMT2016

If they had to make bilberry one-way for the greenway at all I think they had to make it one-way from the city direction.

Visitor comes over the bridge wanting to go the greenway carpark - they would have to go up summerhill, around gracedieu, fan glas and down left at bilberry - that is unbelievably complicated for a visitor to follow if it is one-way from Bilberry.

At least with the proposal as is, when they are leaving the carpark they can go straight up the hill and keep going straight - when they see ballybricken up ahead they might actually go into the city to relax and enjoy themselves afterwards.

It looks like our commuter traffic on summerhill, most of which is coming from the estate anyway will have to consider the toll :( but I think it's worth trying out for the sake of the greenway.

Besides, it's not all of bilberry becoming one way so the people who shortcut through Mary street will still be able to do so.

I stumbled upon two people riding in a field just off the greenway yesterday,well they had just finished when i walked past :D

I stumbled upon two people riding in a field just off the greenway yesterday,well they had just finished when i walked past :D

That's hilarious 😂😂😂

JMT2016 wrote: »
    If they had to make bilberry one-way for the greenway at all I think they had to make it one-way from the city direction.

Visitor comes over the bridge wanting to go the greenway carpark - they would have to go up summerhill, around gracedieu, fan glas and down left at bilberry - that is unbelievably complicated for a visitor to follow if it is one-way from Bilberry.

At least with the proposal as is, when they are leaving the carpark they can go straight up the hill and keep going straight - when they see ballybricken up ahead they might actually go into the city to relax and enjoy themselves afterwards.

It looks like our commuter traffic on summerhill, most of which is coming from the estate anyway will have to consider the toll :( but I think it's worth trying out for the sake of the greenway.

Besides, it's not all of bilberry becoming one way so the people who shortcut through Mary street will still be able to do so.

I agree to an extent what you are saying but I can't understand why they just don't impose compulsory purchase on the section of the site of the old Stanley site and do it properly from the start. The problem with temporary solutions is the longer they are there the harder it is to reverse them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

That's hilarious 😂😂😂

Brings a new meaning to "hiring a bike to go for a ride on the Greenway"

:o

• Advertisement

As long as they keep their horses off the greenway we'll be grand........:D

On the way home from Dungarvan spotted an idiot fighting his way through a farmers hedge with a bike only place he could have come from was the Greenway no more than 50m behind him. Really some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

How do you know he was just finished. Was he wiping his yoke on a dog leaf :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I noticed that in a few places (e.g. between the car park at McGrath's Cross and the tunnel entrance), there are what look a bit like lay-bys. They're paved just like the greenway surface, so they've obviously been put there deliberately. Any idea what their purpose is? I can picture picnic tables there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have only been on the Greenway once and it was noticeable that the cyclists (mostly families but a few racing bikes) were all proceeding at a safe and reasonable speed given that there were also pedestrians and children on bikes. No doubt there will be incidents, but it all looked very courteous. It might be a good idea for cyclists to have a bell or horn though, I guess these have gone out of fashion, but it would be good if they were coming behind pedestrians and could warn that they were approaching.

They are step in areas to allow the Operation Transformation bunch to pass....

Ive been on the Bilberry to Mount Congreve section a few times this week and there is a lot of work going on they are digging up the walkway and laying electrical cables for street lights,its really going to look great when finished.

A glowing review of the Greenway on today's Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/make-tracks-for-a-spectacular-trail-1.2913976

I really like this part -
    We exit the tunnel as if into the Amazon jungle, a deep cutting of strangely faceted, moss-clothed rock, hung down with trailing creepers, ivy and great sprays of ferns. Not far from the tunnel exit, the route crosses a stone viaduct across a deep valley through which the Dalligan River flows down towards the sea. Blown up by Irregular forces in 1922, the viaduct was repaired by the English firm of McAlpine and back in use by the following year. Many local men who worked on the viaduct went to England to work for McAlpine, and became the ‘Fusiliers’ of the famous song. To the north, the southern Comeragh Mountains line the horizon.

Soon, the Atlantic Ocean comes into view ahead. Shortly after, look out for a white cross mounted above the path, on the right. It marks the spot where an IRA ambush went wrong in June 1921, and Volunteer Jack Cummins was shot dead by British troops. Soon after, the route reaches the sea at the pretty beach of Ballyvoile. Broad and silvery Dungarvan Bay stretches south and west, enclosed by hump-backed Helvick Head at the far side.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/make-tracks-for-a-spectacular-trail-1.2913976

I really like this part -

Should be its very well used at the Dungarvan end the bit you quoted in the review.

Next problem though due to the numbers of users is that something has to be be done about parking at Durrow and people crossing the road to Mahony's pub.

Edit> At peak times at the weekend cars park all along a narrow twisty road by the pub which is opposite a T junction on a strip of road that is rated for 80kph with people crossing to the pub and shop

• Advertisement

Just noticed the greenway also featured on the IT a few weeks ago.

One of the top Family walks for Christmas and "Buggy-friendly walks"

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/family-walks-for-christmas-1.2907229

Advertisement