Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

A lot happening on the Carriganore to Mount Congreve section the past week they have finally started to lay the tarmac and all the bridges look to be finished but still a lot of work to be done to them,supposed to be all finished and officially opened on the 25th March.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Have they finished the section just west of Kilmeaden? It was held up due to some legal problem.

Beeker wrote: »
    Have they finished the section just west of Kilmeaden? It was held up due to some legal problem.

It doesnt look like it i was out that way today and the path just stops,i dont know whats happening with it but they are going for the official opening in March so id say they have something sorted with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

It doesnt look like it i was out that way today and the path just stops,i dont know whats happening with it but they are going for the official opening in March so id say they have something sorted with it.
    Can't see how they can get that section finished before the March opening but hopefully they will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Beeker wrote: »
    Can't see how they can get that section finished before the March opening but hopefully they will.

Added to that, if it is not done well, sign posted well, safe access, welcoming,attractive, it will really damage the greenway city end especially and its use.I'd prefer they postpone city end till its done well.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Added to that, if it is not done well, sign posted well, safe access, welcoming,attractive, it will really damage the greenway city end especially and its use.I'd prefer they postpone city end till its done well.

How much more do you want them to postpone it?,the Dungarvan end has been opened since September they cant postpone the city end anymore,they still have two months before the official opening and thats plenty of time,they are more or less finished it as it is.

How much more do you want them to postpone it?,the Dungarvan end has been opened since September they cant postpone the city end anymore,they still have two months before the official opening and thats plenty of time,they are more or less finished it as it is.

Postpone it till there's proper safe, attractive, start near city/bridge which there isn't now.

Its going to be safe by the time its open and its already attractive,the start from the bridge isnt really an issue it will happen im sure at some stage,and as far as i know there will be an entrance at Carriganore,dont really know what else you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Postpone it till there's proper safe, attractive, start near city/bridge which there isn't now.

I don't think you could have said parts of the Dungarvan end were proper safe when people first started using it. No lights in the tunnel and no fences where there were some serious drops.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    I don't think you could have said parts of the Dungarvan end were proper safe when people first started using it. No lights in the tunnel and no fences where there were some serious drops.

Wasn't officially open then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Wasn't officially open then.

Just goes to show how pointless an official opening is then. As long as its rideable or walkable then people will use it.

Bit of a bummer anyway when the _nuts that didn't want it in the first place or couldn't be bothered to support it turn up so they look good for the official opening.

Its going to be safe by the time its open and its already attractive,the start from the bridge isnt really an issue it will happen im sure at some stage,and as far as i know there will be an entrance at Carriganore,dont really know what else you want.
    Disagree, its not safe or attractive down by bilberry and doesn't look like it will be.
    Certainly wouldn't be thinking that ideal to stay in the city and cycle down that way with kids.first impression matters especially with most things and is bad .rest of it is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Disagree, its not safe or attractive down by bilberry and doesn't look like it will be.
    Certainly wouldn't be thinking that ideal to stay in the city and cycle down that way with kids.first impression matters especially with most things and is bad .rest of it is great.

Whats not safe about it?

Whats not safe about it?

I presume you have never been down bilberry road but the Road is not safe for cyclists, too narrow, no cycle lanes, speeding, its a bit isolated, in general, the area down there looks a bit rough, could do with better presentation, lighting, knocking some walls, etc too.I include that because its attractiveness matters when you imagine the question, do you want to go cycling down that road....probably not, especially if you are a tourist or a travel writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

I presume you have never been down bilberry road but the Road is not safe for cyclists, too narrow, no cycle lanes, speeding, its a bit isolated, in general, the area down there looks a bit rough, could do with better presentation, lighting, knocking some walls, etc too.I include that because its attractiveness matters when you imagine the question, do you want to go cycling down that road....probably not, especially if you are a tourist or a travel writer.

I cycle and run it often. More then twice a week.

Its not the best but its not the worst either. As for looking a bit rough! That is just being snobby in my opinion.

Its not the best but its not the worst either. As for looking a bit rough! That is just being snobby in my opinion.

Snobby? How? I fail to see how pointing out place is unattractive is snobby, its the reality.as said, impressions matter, visuals matter, safety matters more obviously.but it would be shame to have this brilliant thing and starting point, first mile terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Well, maybe you're one of the people that likes taking risks then. Walking and cycling should be banned on that Bilberry road.....saw a couple nearly get knocked down this evening. Cars had to stop. There WILL be an accident involving runners, walkers, joggers or cyclists on that stretch. I travel it every day and take my time but the lack of a footpath is deadly.

And.....yes, the whole area around the entrance to the greenway is nowhere near ready. Cars parked up everywhere.

Just my 2 cents. Rant over :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Cortecs wrote: »
    Walking and cycling should be banned on that Bilberry road.....saw a couple nearly get knocked down this evening. Cars had to stop.

Cars had to stop... oh the humanity!!!

I get it, you were being ironic in a postmodern way... ;)

There's a 50 km/h speed limit on that entire road, because it's narrow and twisty, with loads of entrances, including a small business park and a halting site. I'd advise any of you, just for pig iron like, to drive along that road sticking to the speed limit one day. I did it recently and had a Volkswagen van up my ar$e, flashing me!

That's an extreme example, but every time I drive that road (and I stick to the limit, fcuk you very much; I've too many penalty points not to), I can guarantee you I'll have more than one car speeding up to my rear bumper.

That is probably the worst road in town for speeding, and I'm in favour of anything that can be done to slow traffic down. The one-way system was perhaps not a good idea, but maybe a one-way section controlled by traffic lights might be a good compromise? Whatever happens, the Greenway ought to start in the city centre, and it needs to be safe, and that means 100% segregated from the traffic on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

That section of road is unsafe for both pedestrians and cyclists. I walked the whole greenway a long time ago and it was one of the most potentially dangerous sections I noticed on it. This must be addressed before official opening.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Ridiculous that this could happen at such a late stage!

Ridiculous that this could happen at such a late stage!

Yeah i know its crazy they have been planning this for how many years and now they decide this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    That section of road is unsafe for both pedestrians and cyclists. I walked the whole greenway a long time ago and it was one of the most potentially dangerous sections I noticed on it. This must be addressed before official opening.

Don't know if anyone else was down around there last weekend but someone had fly tipped full bin bags of empty beer cans at the entrance and they were all over the entrance and 'car park'. I suspect it's the same crowd who fly tip all along that road regularly but getting so brazen that they didn't even bother going further along the road.

Very disappointing to read that the greenway may not reach city centre now as result of objections/bilberry not going one way.this was clearly going to be an issue, I think councillors and commentators can officially stop calling this a tourism jewel in the crown because it will be dead as far as tourism city side.absolutely no one would cycle down that road with kids as is, what's more is it will damage the whole thing due to poor accessibility.this also effects long term plans to bring narrow kilmeaden railway into city.
    Have we as a city/county shot ourselves in the foot to preserve a rat run in cars all to save a few minutes one way for relatively small amount of drivers when compared to potential benefits to city as a whole.
    I hope a good solution can be found like putting one way only traffic lights on road or money found to CPO some land, unlikely though.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Very disappointing to read that the greenway may not reach city centre now as result of objections/bilberry not going one way.this was clearly going to be an issue, I think councillors and commentators can officially stop calling this a tourism jewel in the crown because it will be dead as far as tourism city side.absolutely no one would cycle down that road with kids as is, what's more is it will damage the whole thing due to poor accessibility.this also effects long term plans to bring narrow kilmeaden railway into city.
    Have we as a city/county shot ourselves in the foot to preserve a rat run in cars all to save a few minutes one way for relatively small amount of drivers when compared to potential benefits to city as a whole.
    I hope a good solution can be found like putting one way only traffic lights on road or money found to CPO some land, unlikely though.

The problem isn't the roadway, it's the fact that the council were hoping to impose planning regulations forcing whoever was to buy and develop the old foundry site into a compulsory purchase on a portion of that land which would enable them to then develop access to the greenway. There are enough roads in the city centre gone one way and this particular one is just to busy to change it to one way. By making it one way, you are then putting more pressure on Summerhill, military Road, and Morrisons Road at peak times.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    The problem isn't the roadway, it's the fact that the council were hoping to impose planning regulations forcing whoever was to buy and develop the old foundry site into a compulsory purchase on a portion of that land which would enable them to then develop access to the greenway. There are enough roads in the city centre gone one way and this particular one is just to busy to change it to one way. By making it one way, you are then putting more pressure on Summerhill, military Road, and Morrisons Road at peak times.

Disagree, the problem is the roadway, thought that was clear to all.IMO, complete cop out trying to blame council, they tried to get safe access for greenway but objectors and no doubt some councillors prevented it.also,IMO 'more pressure' is another cop out for I don't want to be taken away from my usual route or I'm not willing to take different route by having to go suir bridge or bridge street.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Disagree, the problem is the roadway, thought that was clear to all.IMO, complete cop out trying to blame council, they tried to get safe access for greenway but objectors and no doubt some councillors prevented it.also,IMO 'more pressure' is another cop out for I don't want to be taken away from my usual route or I'm not willing to take different route by having to go suir bridge or bridge street.

First off, let's get a few facts out there, this issue was flagged to the council when the greenway works got the go ahead, 18 months ago I attended a meeting and I again raised this issue, I was told that by the time the City end was complete, the infrastructure would be in place to have access from near rice bridge. Then last may or June I attended another meeting out in the ramada hotel, again I raised the issue of access from the city to the greenway. This time the answer I got was, it was envisaged that the old foundry side would be sold by now and that as part of any planning process for potential new owners would have to include them providing access for the council to widen the existing roadway to include a new cycle lane and a footpath

It's blatant obvious here that the council had no concrete plans for access from the city, they just hoped they would be able to pass the problem on to some else and make them provide the access. As the site is still empty they are now looking for other ways to try getting access. Making the road one way is a non-runner imo anyway, you mention the suit bridge, well they shot themselves in the foot when they put a toll on there.

I don't know what part of the city you live in, but I can assure you that that road is a very busy road in both directions and is more than just a rat-run. The amount of submissions testify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

You clearly don’t have to use that road or live in an area affected by the change.

• Advertisement

Realistically what can they do now?

Advertisement