Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I see the mix 240 deal ends 2nd oct, and there is some €50 boards deal on this too.

Is the new deal likely to be better or worse? is there any pattern to these deals, e.g. better deals come in autumn or something.

I am in 2 minds whether to cancel as there will be a cross over period where I am paying for 2 packages at the same time. i.e. if I get the deal on 2nd oct I will have paid some weeks of my current package. Or is there a way to delay the new one for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

rubadub wrote: »
    I see the mix 240 deal ends 2nd oct, and there is some €50 boards deal on this too.

Is the new deal likely to be better or worse? is there any pattern to these deals, e.g. better deals come in autumn or something.

I am in 2 minds whether to cancel as there will be a cross over period where I am paying for 2 packages at the same time. i.e. if I get the deal on 2nd oct I will have paid some weeks of my current package. Or is there a way to delay the new one for free?

the way it works if it cuts into your existing contract they will cut down on your first bill to even amount owed, at least from my experience.

getting a deal depends on few factors whats your current plan is, thou as mentioned its hit and miss you might get someone on the phone who wont offer anything and you can hang up and say call later, or if you dont care ask for deal and cancel if no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I had half price for 6 months, but have been paying the full 60 for the last four months. I think 60 is very saucy for just internet.
    Over the 12 months, 45 euro can be justified, but still quite high I feel.

I had half price for 6 months, but have been paying the full 60 for the last four months. I think 60 is very saucy for just internet.
    Over the 12 months, 45 euro can be justified, but still quite high I feel.
    agree most see it nowadays as normal to pay 600e for BB but its really high.
    main issue remain thou infrastructure is very difficult in Ireland many companies cant get past 100mb limit which compared to rest of the world is really poor at this age, but given layout where most population live in few cities rest are small towns and usually estates wide apart makes it difficult investment for new companies to come in, thus even thou SIRO has works in progress besides them ive found eir support bad in the past, so its either pay premium or get something that might be a headache down the road, as even advertised speed of 100MB/s has to be divided by 8 which works out to round 12.5 actual downalod speed, but seeing others using service sometimes you see numbers as low as barely 3meg, as the wiring is so old in many houses that never been upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

scamalert wrote: »
    the way it works if it cuts into your existing contract they will cut down on your first bill to even amount owed, at least from my experience.
    My plan was just to cancel and sign up under another name.

• Advertisement

whatever way you go, just say your moving out of country or smth and let another family member sign up then, dont think they really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

Just got this email right about when I was planning to renegociate my contract. It really is a yearly thing...
    "CONTRACT CHANGE
    Hello,
    The price of your broadband is going up in 2019
    From January 2019 the price of your package will increase by €3.50 a month. This change takes effect for you on January 21st 2019, your first bill date of the year.
    What happens next?
    We really hope that you’ll continue to enjoy your Virgin Media package, however, you can change or cancel your service by giving us 30 days notice. You can do this without penalty any time before January 21st 2019. Simply call us on 1908 and a member of our team will be happy to help you. The information in this communication is correct as of August 20th 2018 so if you have made any changes to your account since this date, this may no longer be relevant for you.

To find out more simply visit virginmedia.ie/change."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Same - good bye Virgin I think, on to Eir. Not taking any deal this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

If Virgin Media are increasing their broadband charges, it is a sure bet that other ISPs will announce increases soon enough.

wording is a bit tricky if i got deal from them few weeks back does it mean i still get hit with 3.50 on top come January as got half and half for a year new contract :cool::confused:

as little as this might seem but come end of any deal and im looking at close to 70e for BB that's really mad money, might rethink if i get one of these letters and just bail out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They generally include everyone but you have the option to bail if they change the deal. at least thats whats happened previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

scamalert wrote: »
    wording is a bit tricky if i got deal from them few weeks back does it mean i still get hit with 3.50 on top come January as got half and half for a year new contract :cool::confused:

as little as this might seem but come end of any deal and im looking at close to 70e for BB that's really mad money, might rethink if i get one of these letters and just bail out.

I don’t think that 3.50 will affect you. Happened me last year & I didn’t have to pay whatever it was then.

think ur correct last times they did it i think i was still hit with increase, anyway its a joke they keep doing this but hopefully they will get hit with massive numbers drop in the process, since i cant see any way they can justify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

So virgin sent me a nice mail, saying

The price of your broadband is going up in 2019
    From January 2019 the price of your package will increase by €3.50 a month. This change takes effect for you on January 21st 2019, your first bill date of the year.
    What happens next?
    We really hope that you’ll continue to enjoy your Virgin Media package, however, you can change or cancel your service by giving us 30 days notice. You can do this without penalty any time before January 21st 2019. Simply call us on 1908 and a member of our team will be happy to help you. The information in this communication is correct as of August 20th 2018 so if you have made any changes to your account since this date, this may no longer be relevant for you.

So I'm thinking this could be a chance for people to get out of a contract they have been waiting for the chance or to get a better deal by threatening to leave, as has been done before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

What package are you on at the moment, Sgt? Haven't gotten word myself yet, have the TV (No Sports/Movies), 240mb BB and phone.

BB is getting a tad pricey now!

Edit: Disregard, just got the e-Mail there now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

Yep I got the mail too. Here we go again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Bye bye virgin, hello sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 www.bored.ie

The miserable ******s. I wouldn't mind but my broadband connection is terrible. This is the final straw. On the hunt for a new provider.

The miserable ******s. I wouldn't mind but my broadband connection is terrible. This is the final straw. On the hunt for a new provider.

Since moving house mine has been dropping a lot too. Was generally very solid in any other house over the years.

Will take a sky offer for 12 months and then go fta afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Every single year this is happening, so with the new pricing it'll be €58.00 for me a month for 240mb broadband with phone package that I don't use. They are absolutely taking the p!ss now with these constant price increases. Definitely moving provider, sick of putting up a battle every year to get some sort of deal for a few months and then paying full price until the next price rise. F*ck you Virgin Media.

• Advertisement

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Since moving house mine has been dropping a lot too. Was generally very solid in any other house over the years.

Will take a sky offer for 12 months and then go fta afterwards.

Problem with Sky is having the unsightly dish plus the cables thrown over the roof and pegged to the wall before being horsed through some hole the installer drills in the walls.

It's a pity Sky hasn't gone the non-dish route here yet, think they have in the UK in certain places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

van_beano wrote: »
    Problem with Sky is having the unsightly dish plus the cables thrown over the roof and pegged to the wall before being horsed through some hole the installer drills in the walls.

It's a pity Sky hasn't gone the non-dish route here yet, think they have in the UK in certain places.

Sky is fibre, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I do love getting those emails. Just call and tell them you want to cancel, they'll bend over backwards to do you a deal

My UK full house bundle is now costing me £32pm - it's supposed to be £57 rising to £74 after 12 months (not that anybody pays that - I hope)

Qrt wrote: »
    Sky is fibre, no?

For receiving the TV stations I'm presuming it's still by dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭LiveRadio.ie

Oh, no. Again!

I wish SIRO in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I've been waiting for SIRO to be available in my area so I can finally get rid of Virgin, but it's been on the 'planned' list for a year now.
    Might have to go to Sky for a year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

For receiving the TV stations I'm presuming it's still by dish.

Sky do have plans to go dish-less over here - no idea what the rollout plan is

The unsightly cables are already there from the last tennant so it makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Bye bye virgin, hello sky.

Hello Sky for 100mbps:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

50 snots for eir tv and bb for 12 months? Seems value to me.

Advertisement