Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

rmongey wrote: »
    What's the best provider deal right now for mainly BB but TV also... currently with Virgin but looking to move. What are you guys doing if cancelling Virgin?

I'm with Sky for broadband for last 2 years (won't be rushing back to EIR for their customer service) also tv a lot longer - each year I ring up n manage at least 20-30% discount - overall very happy with the overall service - mind you it helps been close to one of their fibre boxes for good broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Heiser

uRbaN wrote: »
    Sky are offering TV and fibre bb for €57...new dish, new sky q box and 12 months[/QUOT

Ill be taking them up on that offer. Was just about to order in a freesat box and pay for a satellite installation etc but ill just get Sky for the year for €59 (same price Virgin are charging me for broadband only) and next year hopefully SIRO be in my area and i'll get that and the freesat.

Delighted to be finally leaving Virgin. Sick of their price increases every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Here we go again. What you need to do is get on the phone to their cancellation department and be prepared to pull the trigger to cancel. Work out the best price for 12 months from their competitors and just say you'll leave unless they can give you a deal that will match it.

For me it is quite simple. I will probably get rid of TV, so just want broadband. Sky are doing 100mbs for €30 per month plus €50 install. €410 per year. If Virgin can't match that, I'm switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Brae100 wrote: »
    Here we go again. What you need to do is get on the phone to their cancellation department and be prepared to pull the trigger to cancel. Work out the best price for 12 months from their competitors and just say you'll leave unless they can give you a deal that will match it.

For me it is quite simple. I will probably get rid of TV, so just want broadband. Sky are doing 100mbs for €30 per month plus €50 install. €410 per year. If Virgin can't match that, I'm switching.

Sky says that deal is “up to 24mb download speeds (vary significantly by location)” not 100mbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just got that e mail. I’m sick of them putting up prices on broadband year after year without justification. I can understand tv packages going up but not broadband, what reason do they have other than being a greedy profiteering company. It’s not as if they’re paying kn networks any more money than what they were last year.
    Anyway, what do you guys recommend for broadband only, that’s provides unlimited download amounts with decent speeds for streaming, that’s also reliable? Apart from v.m and eir. I believe eir are a worse a howler to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭bromley52

tom1ie wrote: »
    Just got that e mail. I’m sick of them putting up prices on broadband year after year without justification. I can understand tv packages going up but not broadband, what reason do they have other than being a greedy profiteering company. It’s not as if they’re paying kn networks any more money than what they were last year.
    Anyway, what do you guys recommend for broadband only, that’s provides unlimited download amounts with decent speeds for streaming, that’s also reliable? Apart from v.m and eir. I believe eir are a worse a howler to deal with.

Unless you are in a SIRO enable area I'm sorry to say that VM are as good as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

Received email from Virgin saying "From January 2019 the price of your package will increase by €3.50 a month. This change takes effect for you on January 21st 2019, your first bill date of the year."

Checked Eir offers €34.99 per month + €29.00 one-off activation in first bill (so €449.87 for first year) then €59.99 (719.88 per year) per month for 90 Mbps/18Mbps (download limit unlimited) with eir fibre

Currently with Virgin paying €54.99 per month (so 659.88 per year), before was paying €495)
    Called Virgin to cancel and renewed with offer below:
    €3.50 increase will not apply in January 2019
    €37.50 for 9 months and then €52.50 (€495 for 1 year)
    240Mb plan
    Offer applies to next bill date

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Skelet0n wrote: »
    Sky says that deal is “up to 24mb download speeds (vary significantly by location)” not 100mbs.

there are 2 deals
    Sky Broadband Unlimited €30 a month for 12 months: Sky Broadband Unlimited with Sky Talk €30 a month for 12 months, normally from €47* per month. New ROI households in selected areas only. Prices based on customer taking Sky Broadband Unlimited with Talk Freetime. Download speed up to 24 Mb, varies by location. Min contract & further terms apply. Standard broadband activation fee of €5-€10 depending upon product choice

Sky Fibre €30 a month for 12 months: Sky Fibre Unlimited €30 a month for 12 months, €55 pm thereafter. Set up costs may apply. New ROI households in selected fibre areas only. Maximum download speeds up to 100Mb. Speeds vary by location. Min & further terms apply. Standard broadband activation fee of €5-€10 depending upon product choice.

what I find interesting is they say
    *Sky Broadband Unlimited price will increase on 1 December 2018

I cannot see any info on the price increase, so I guess you will have to be allowed to cancel as the contract will change. Unless this can somehow be part of the contract, but I cannot see how -as then could they increase the price to a grand a month, with a contract cancellation fee of 10,000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

so are we all getting this increase letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭DopeTech

so are we all getting this increase letter?

That's usually how it goes. But you don't need to wait for the letter to negotiate a better deal. Generally the earlier the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    That's usually how it goes. But you don't need to wait for the letter to negotiate a better deal. Generally the earlier the better

thought as much, well since I am moving house or plan to within the year I'll look to switch to sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

bromley52 wrote: »
    Unless you are in a SIRO enable area I'm sorry to say that VM are as good as it gets.

Ffs! :mad: Siro not available. I’ll ring vm and see what deal I can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

dont have your hopes up on Siro they been working in my area for last 5-6 mo, checked their site and it says within next 6 months :( , anyway im left with 629e to pay until next year for 360bb package, thats with half deal, but afterwards wont even look at them twice just switch. seen vodafone had limited offer last night for few days 12mo contract 6 months 25e then 55e if im correct, they are crap but if you dont need speed its def better then nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

bromley52 wrote: »

In theory.

We were on 240Mb VM. Multiple daily outages & d/l speeds rarely above 25Mb/sec.

Had switched to Sky for TV last year. Highly recommend Sky Q to anyone. It's a different world to that POS Horizon box.

Switched to Sky BB at €30/m in August. To the best of my knowledge we have't had a single outage & d/l speeds are consistently around 40Mb/sec. so no regrets at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

Has anyone Been offered a good discount yet. 15 euro of 59 euro a month was all I was offered. Set it to cancel and will wait a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think you have to look at the speeds you are getting. Because of poor wifi and old gear, powerline adapters I get nothing like the speeds I'm paying for.

Thats not VM fault, but it means the extra speed is meaningless for me.

Bhangraman wrote: »
    Received email from Virgin saying "From January 2019 the price of your package will increase by €3.50 a month. This change takes effect for you on January 21st 2019, your first bill date of the year."

Checked Eir offers €34.99 per month + €29.00 one-off activation in first bill (so €449.87 for first year) then €59.99 (719.88 per year) per month for 90 Mbps/18Mbps (download limit unlimited) with eir fibre

Currently with Virgin paying €54.99 per month (so 659.88 per year), before was paying €495)
    Called Virgin to cancel and renewed with offer below:
    €3.50 increase will not apply in January 2019
    €37.50 for 9 months and then €52.50 (€495 for 1 year)
    240Mb plan
    Offer applies to next bill date

Did they offer that straight away?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

beauf wrote: »
    I think you have to look at the speeds you are getting. Because of poor wifi and old gear, powerline adapters I get nothing like the speeds I'm paying for.

Thats not VM fault, but it means the extra speed is meaningless for me.

Pretty good here- consistently getting 320-330 down 30-35 up.......

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭padski08

Is this increase for BB only?
    My contract is up next month, but have BB 240mb, TV and phone. No email received yet, but will be calling in any case to see what can be done

If I cancel and my partners signs up in same house, are we classified as new customer? Tried to search and grey area, understandably

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

padski08 wrote: »
    If I cancel and my partners signs up in same house, are we classified as new customer? Tried to search and grey area, understandably
    Yes you can, and it is not so "grey", the virgin rep actually advised me to do it. Somebody left my house and I asked for the account to be transferred to my name and they said it would be better if we cancelled as we could get the newbie offers.

What I wonder is if you can use the exact same account, if you have a joint account with 2 names on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

padski08 wrote: »
    Is this increase for BB only?
    My contract is up next month, but have BB 240mb, TV and phone. No email received yet, but will be calling in any case to see what can be done

Same package. Got an email about €3.50 increase.

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes you can, and it is not so "grey", the virgin rep actually advised me to do it. Somebody left my house and I asked for the account to be transferred to my name and they said it would be better if we cancelled as we could get the newbie offers.

What I wonder is if you can use the exact same account, if you have a joint account with 2 names on it.

You will get cheaper by setting account to cancel and wait for a call or call them next week. They are offering crap money off now after the initial emails were sent. When people take them deals to stay they will offer people who said no better deals. New sign up offers are rarely as good. You would never get six months half price for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭loup

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Same package. Got an email about €3.50 increase.

No email here as yet either and we are on the same package, might ring up anyway. Does anyone have the Limerick direct number?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Whats the direct number to the loyalty department does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭D3V!L

pj12332 wrote: »
    You will get cheaper by setting account to cancel and wait for a call or call them next week. They are offering crap money off now after the initial emails were sent. When people take them deals to stay they will offer people who said no better deals. New sign up offers are rarely as good. You would never get six months half price for example.

How would you go about that ?

Whats the direct number to the loyalty department does anyone know?
    1908 press 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Rang them to cancel. Currently paying €55 for 240 mb broadband and home phone which will rise to €58.50 in January. Was offered €10 off per month and I said no. Then I was offered €15 off for three months and I said no. She then offered me €15 off for six months and I said no, go ahead and cancel. She then offered me €15 off for nine months and I said no, not unless I can have it for twelve months! She said she'd have to talk to her supervisor but she didn't think she could do it. She came back and said no, nine months was the best they could do.

I cancelled.

they always try the low ball 3 mo 15e off joke offer. thou nine months at 15 off barely amounts to 3 months half price :cool:.

Anyway my 2c is like i wrote before if you call them its cancel or deal attitude that either works or not, im over 6 yrs with them and it took few minutes before they realized im not joking on cancelling as might as well drop the speed and save 200e with any other provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

pj12332 wrote: »
    Did they offer that straight away?

No I had to negotiate, then they offered the usual 6 months half price, on top of which the price increase would apply and after a lot of pushback they agreed to come back with this 9 month offer, to which the price increase would not apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

So my experience earlier today, calling fully intending to cancel...

Got through to an Irish person, who initially offered me €15 off for six months, I said no so he asked if I would be willing to wait and see if he could get something better, I said OK and on hold I went. He came back and offered me €15 off for nine months, which I again said no to and I calmly explained it just didn't make any sense, I would go to Eir and would consider coming back to Virgin in a year as a new customer, I said I had no complaints about the service and my only problem was with the prices.

He understood my position, asked me to hold as he passed me along to the next department. I wasn't particularly sure who I was going to at this point, still happy to go through with the cancellation. I then spoke to a lady who had been briefed on my issue, she briefly gave me a spiel about how crappy the Eir broadband service would be :) She asked me again if I would consider the €15 off for nine months, I again said no and she then said she could offer me half price (€29.50) for six months, back to €58 for the next six of the contract. I wavered a bit at this point, pushed to see if I could get anything else ('a fiver?') for months seven-nine but she said she couldn't budge.

I totted up the potential savings (€171 with this offer, vs the earlier €135 or €90) and realised it made sense to stay :D

Surprised my wife a bit as last evening I swore blind we were leaving them for good this time (I've been known to say this before and then crack when offered €15 for six months, as at the end of 2017). Think you just have to go into the negotiation fully intending to cancel and see what happens...

Advertisement