Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I’m being told now they no longer have an online loyalty chat team-anyone know if this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭r0chf0rt

sillysocks wrote: »
    I’m being told now they no longer have an online loyalty chat team-anyone know if this is the case?

I was told the same thing. I got the half price offer using their new interactive text service. 5 or 6 texts and it was sorted.

r0chf0rt wrote: »
    I was told the same thing. I got the half price offer using their new interactive text service. 5 or 6 texts and it was sorted.

Thanks, just onto them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

r0chf0rt wrote: »

How do you access this interactive text service?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Amouar wrote:

I would like to know this as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

beauf wrote: »
    Has anyone used any other BB to break your VM contract and come back as a new customer and how did that work out.
    you cant break it without penalty which is like 200e smth if not mistaken. once your out of contract thou i dont see issue signing someone else in the household as new customer. As mentioned Siro is breaking some ground around places and smaller towns, and that got VM on their feet as well i was told, now if Siro moves faster VM will have proper competition and hopefully that monopoly will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭r0chf0rt

Amouar wrote: »

I just rang 1908 and went through the menus to access cancellations. It was one of the options given rather than waiting to talk to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I signed up as a new customer on Wednesday with the offer of a 'free TV', checked again on Thursday and the bundle is €20 cheaper (Full house 240). So my free TV is going to cost me €240 over the year!, still not too bad I suppose for a 32" Toshiba Smart TV

Can you send like of deal with free tv?

They told me to text *+353 (86) 180 2267‬ and after about half an hour I got a reply, and then constant replies from then until we were finished. Only got offered 10 eur off per month so didn’t accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Can you send like of deal with free tv?

It’s expired now and I didn’t get a screenshot, sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

I signed up as a new customer on Wednesday with the offer of a 'free TV', checked again on Thursday and the bundle is €20 cheaper (Full house 240). So my free TV is going to cost me €240 over the year!, still not too bad I suppose for a 32" Toshiba Smart TV

i did as well... Do you know what model Toshiba the tv is by chance?

As i am debating whether to cancel my contract as i am still within the 14 day cooling off period and then reapply for the 54 euro deal....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Any chance of getting out of a broadband contract since the analogue line up is reducing? I'm not paying for analogue so presume not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Aldormanndiobla

I think you have to be out of contract or away from them for 3 months to be considered a new customer.
    I used to say that I am going to get the missus to sign up after I put the phone down, she would be classed as a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Rang today.
    Was on 6 months half price and 6 months full price last year for BB and phone.
    First person offered me €15 off for 6 months and I said no.
    Went on to live chat and first offered me 3 months and eventually I got 6 months half price.

Til next year 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

I got on chat today to cancel - first time they told me I'd have to phone cos the cancellation department wasn't available until later. Next time they put me through to cancellations but I was in a queue of 2 for 30 minutes. Eventually cancelled the TV and they offered me 15 off broadband for 3 months. Told them I'd have to look around and they offered 15 off for 6 months. I don't have a phone line so I went with it.

the_pod wrote: »
    I got on chat today to cancel - first time they told me I'd have to phone cos the cancellation department wasn't available until later. Next time they put me through to cancellations but I was in a queue of 2 for 30 minutes. Eventually cancelled the TV and they offered me 15 off broadband for 3 months. Told them I'd have to look around and they offered 15 off for 6 months. I don't have a phone line so I went with it.
    not sure what your paying but that was low ball offer to accept :cool:
    usually i dont go into i want to cancel but rather looking for discount etc, and if you get nothing just say ill call back, until you get to the person that can offer better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Currently paying 56 per month for just broadband, out of contract so looking around.

Current offer for new customers on the website for Entertainment package including TV for only 49 for 12 months. Although I had the TV before and can't stand the Virgin box so not sure if I want to get it again.

Deals for broadband only don't seem great. What sort of deals are people getting for just broadband at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

scamalert wrote: »
    not sure what your paying but that was low ball offer to accept :cool:
    usually i dont go into i want to cancel but rather looking for discount etc, and if you get nothing just say ill call back, until you get to the person that can offer better deal.

I haven't seen any deal for VM for a very long time on this forum (unless I've missed something). Why do you consider it a lowball.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭rob316

mossy464 wrote: »
    Currently paying 56 per month for just broadband, out of contract so looking around.

Current offer for new customers on the website for Entertainment package including TV for only 49 for 12 months. Although I had the TV before and can't stand the Virgin box so not sure if I want to get it again.

Deals for broadband only don't seem great. What sort of deals are people getting for just broadband at the moment?

To be honest its the best broadband out there and they know it. It's one service I'd never think of dropping as I've never had one problem with it. I have fibre EIR in the office around the corner from my home and its nowhere near as good, lots of dropouts despite using a very good aftermarket modem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

rob316 wrote: »
    To be honest its the best broadband out there and they know it. It's one service I'd never think of dropping as I've never had one problem with it. I have fibre EIR in the office around the corner from my home and its nowhere near as good, lots of dropouts despite using a very good aftermarket modem.

I found the complete opposite. Was with VM on 240Mb BB, TV & phone. Most devices in the house were connected wirelessly, getting speedtest results of 20-50Mb. Daily multiple dropouts. Tried all the tweaks they suggested to no avail. Out of sheer frustration we eventually swtiched to Sky. Not aware of a single dropout since it was installed in July. Wireless speeds on a par with VM, no issues with streaming, including UHD Netflix. Multiroom is cheaper & the Q box is a country mile better then the Horizon POS

agree VM has minimal downtime and usually its fast fixed, what i dont like is the monopoly they know they are best atm, thus the yearly increases.im out of contract in less then two months might switch to their monthly 55e BB without contract and try eir once siro is up in my area, as vodafone runs 25e for 6mo, then 55 for 12months, which is still cheap for fiber optic.

fdevine wrote: »
    I.....Most devices in the house were connected wirelessly, getting speedtest results of 20-50Mb. Daily multiple dropouts....

The VM wireless seems quite poor. Most people who want performance have gone for the VM hub in bridge mode and use their own router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

The VM wireless seems quite poor. Most people who want performance have gone for the VM hub in bridge mode and use their own router.

Thats what I've been doing for the last 10 years. Their routers are sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

beauf wrote:

Virgin hub 3.0 is a beast...never had any issues in last 3 years of use..

Mine regularly drops the connection. My own router though the same box doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Broadband + phone only here, currently €50 per month and out of contract. Also looking around for deals if anyone hears of one.

On another note, I've started to experience more frequent dropouts too. Using a relatively old Cisco modem they supplied me with. Is there a more reliable set up I should be looking at using a different modem? Any recommendations appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Hi my contract is up soon didn’t get a great deal last time but wanted to stay with vm as the broadband is good , if I was to sign up under different name will it matter if it’s the same address thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

noble00 wrote: »
    Hi my contract is up soon didn’t get a great deal last time but wanted to stay with vm as the broadband is good , if I was to sign up under different name will it matter if it’s the same address thanks

Doesn't matter at all. Same address, different name & new account

• Advertisement

redacting.
    I haven't seen any deal for VM for a very long time on this forum (unless I've missed something). Why do you consider it a lowball.

Just got onto VM chat and was offered same price for 12 months BB 360 66e month at full price, dont use their phone service but that's included.

Anyway short story long called their 1908 number pressed 4, didn't want to go into sms function. one on the phone looked over my account and said can do 10 off for 3 months, said im looking to either get same deal as previous years half price and full for 6 mo, got other offer for 45e for half year, said i wont be pushing it after so many years just put in cancellation then, few minutes later returned with 6mo half price and full amount afterwards, only benefit i got out of this it will start next month, meaning ill be out earlier next year to switch to whoever is better, VM has its quirks but in almost 6 years besides price increases their service always been reliable, now as mentioned Siro is being rolled out but tbf it could be few months and if they cant be arsed to connect in time as been 3 months and estimate is December ill stick with VM.

reason i mentioned low ball offer is if your long with em, theres always leverage to be honest i was going just to say cancel for sure this time if i wasnt getting half price offer, and this been like that for last 3-4 years.

Advertisement