Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Hi can someone tell me what Vodafone are like , do you need a satellite to install. They some to have a good deal at the moment. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭DopeTech

noble00 wrote: »
    Hi can someone tell me what Vodafone are like , do you need a satellite to install. They some to have a good deal at the moment. Thanks

If you mean virgin they are generally very good and if you pay for 360mb bb you will get it. Only issue most have with them is their prices. It comes in via a cable different to a phone line and not via satellite like sky. Have a look in your house for any cablelink/ntl/upc sockets on the wall. If you have any of them then you can receive it. If not then they have an address checker on their website to show what services are available at your address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    If you mean virgin they are generally very good and if you pay for 360mb bb you will get it. Only issue most have with them is their prices. It comes in via a cable different to a phone line and not via satellite like sky. Have a look in your house for any cablelink/ntl/upc sockets on the wall. If you have any of them then you can receive it. If not then they have an address checker on their website to show what services are available at your address.

I'm pretty sure he was asking what Vodafone was like, not sure why you assumed he meant Virgin Media. He's clearly looking at a new provider and wanted advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Solaris10

noble00 wrote: »

Vodafone, Eir, Sky, Pure Telecom, Digiweb all are using same fiber network it's called FTTC, you can choose either one which is cheaper

virgin using FTTN, there is no much difference between those technologies except speed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Got the email. My issue is I've never had phone, have phone line, but only eir will touch me as others claim id hv to pay to get hooked up to eir or whatever. What are eir like for "cough, cough" downloads from a certain "web'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

pretty sure vodafone buys BB from eir so should be no issue, it comes via phone line for who was askin.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Great I might give Vodafone a ring tomorrow the deal they have at the moment looks good. Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

Bhangraman wrote: »
    No I had to negotiate, then they offered the usual 6 months half price, on top of which the price increase would apply and after a lot of pushback they agreed to come back with this 9 month offer, to which the price increase would not apply.

Do you just have broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Are these emails going out in batches? on the 360MB package at 60 per month. Contract up in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Also got an email and I'm seriously considering leaving - I'm on the 240mb package.
    I check the speed regularly and normally get 35-45mbps

I've spoken to Sky and Eir both say I'd get 18-20mbps for nearly half the price of Virgin

My only worry is having to possibly deal with constant buffering etc
    I'd only be using it for general browsing, steaming Netflix and Sky Go and occasional PS4 online gaming

Is it worth the risk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Anyone here have Vodafone TV/Broadband and are happy with it, think I'll finally leave Virgin, sick of the constant price increases, seems like it's every 6 months now. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Also got an email and I'm seriously considering leaving - I'm on the 240mb package.

I've spoken to Sky and Eir both say I'd get 18-20mbps for nearly half the price of Virgin

I'd only be using it for general browsing, steaming Netflix and Sky Go and occasional PS4 online gaming

Is it worth the risk?

Is that speedtest on wifi? What devices? 2.4g or 5g?

I wouldbt be to worried as speeds will differ over wifi on different devices. Virgin treat loyal customers really poorly.

Any announcement of a price rise in January yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Vodafone are doing for €55 pm for Siro. (6 months at €25) but an 18 month contract.
    Still, not sure why I'd pay the same price for 240mb.
    Also Sky are due to roll out their prices soon enough so I'm just going to keep what I have for now and see what Sky might come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Random Bloke

Got the price increase email from Virgin (from €75 to nearly €80) - am fed up with them so have given the 30 day cancellation notice. They did offer some small discount for a few months but nothing much. Have got the cancellation email from them.

Presume that we are gone beyond the point of return and I need to sign up with another provider? Or will they come back with a better offer? Anyone been in this position with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

Got the price increase email from Virgin (from €75 to nearly €80) - am fed up with them so have given the 30 day cancellation notice. They did offer some small discount for a few months but nothing much. Have got the cancellation email from them.

Presume that we are gone beyond the point of return and I need to sign up with another provider? Or will they come back with a better offer? Anyone been in this position with them?

they will always come back to you 2 weeks before cancellation day and offer you their "best" offer. happened to me last time but they only offered me 6 months half price and 6 months full for TV, broadband and phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JamesM2910

Is it worth the risk?

If there’s not many in the house using it at once, if you’re the only one using it then you’d be fine but if there’s a number of people on their phones in the house aswell you’d notice it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Does anybody knows if I can still renegotiate my contract with them even if I didn't receive the email stating the increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

Amouar wrote: »
    Does anybody knows if I can still renegotiate my contract with them even if I didn't receive the email stating the increase?

i guess you can if your contract is coming up for renewal within next 3 months.
    ring 1908 option 4 for Loyalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

Is it worth the risk?

Switched from VM to Sky in August. Speeds over wireless are similar or faster than VM was. Last few speed tests I've done have been c.40Mb/sec.

Netflix 4k streams no problem & never had a buffer stall. No complaints with gaming either. Amazon Prime, when I had it, streamed 4k without buffering too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JamesM2910

Is it worth the risk?

If there’s not many in the house using it at once, if you’re the only one using it then you’d be fine but if there’s a number of people on their phones in the house aswell you’d notice it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

fdevine wrote: »
    Switched from VM to Sky in August.

Don't you need a phone line for Sky? I don't have one, so I think that restricts me to Eir - am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sky can order a new line but the majority of staff have no clue how to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So if sky are running off eir’s network, your B.B. speeds are dependent on whether you have eir fiber in your area, and if your local eir exchange has been upgraded, am I right in saying that.
    If you can get sky to install an eir phone line in your house (I don’t have one either) is there an extra installation cost, is there an ongoing monthly rental charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just got the email... Will be paying 56 for just broadband. Does anyone know if Eir broadband would be reliable for live sports streaming? I don't have a regular tv package as I don't want 50 channels that I don't watch but have Eleven Sport, Virgin TV anywhere and nowtv for sky sports when it's on offer. Also a couple of cheap iptv subs for PL games. Either use android box or Chromecast for all of this. Would love to cancel but wary of any drop in quality re: streaming.

Called VM during lunch, got an Irish guy which was a nice surprise my previous renewals were with Philippines I think

I told him Sky offered me broadband for 30e, I also complained about my current speeds and there wasn't a huge difference compared to Sky for half the price

He initially offered me 6 months half price which I rejected. Asked him for his very best and final offer - he put me on hold for around 3mins and came back with 9 months half price at 29.50

Surprised it was that easy to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

Called VM during lunch, got an Irish guy which was a nice surprise my previous renewals were with Philippines I think

I told him Sky offered me broadband for 30e, I also complained about my current speeds and there wasn't a huge difference compared to Sky for half the price

He initially offered me 6 months half price which I rejected. Asked him for his very best and final offer - he put me on hold for around 3mins and came back with 9 months half price at 29.50

Great what number did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Used 1908 myself.

Got the same. Irish lady on the phone and requested for cancellation straight away due to cost increase every year. Initially quoted 54 euro for the 12 months. I said just because they've been increasing every year, I'm struggling to go through the contract. Never actually complained about their service and even said that I was happy with what they provide me with. But I did say that I was willing to compromise the level of service just to get the cost down. Got offered 44 for 9 months out of 12. I quoted that Sky has an offer of 30 per month and she offered the 29.50 for 6 months out of 12.

Then I asked if the 29.50 could be offered for the 9 months like the previous offer. She put me on hold for almost 2 minutes, got back and offered it straight away. Put me onto a 'new' bundle which had the same 240mbps speed and got me free landline and any mobile network calls, too. Probably had this before but had no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

Used 1908 myself.

Got the same. Irish lady on the phone and requested for cancellation straight away due to cost increase every year. Initially quoted 54 euro for the 12 months. I said just because they've been increasing every year, I'm struggling to go through the contract. Never actually complained about their service and even said that I was happy with what they provide me with. But I did say that I was willing to compromise the level of service just to get the cost down. Got offered 44 for 9 months out of 12. I quoted that Sky has an offer of 30 per month and she offered the 29.50 for 6 months out of 12.

Then I asked if the 29.50 could be offered for the 9 months like the previous offer. She put me on hold for almost 2 minutes, got back and offered it straight away. Put me onto a 'new' bundle which had the same 240mbps speed and got me free landline and any mobile network calls, too. Probably had this before but had no idea.

Tried myself just to check the offer and best they can offer is 10€ off for 9 months, getting 6 month half price from last few years. I did ask for 9 month but they can't offer me.

Didn't push him too much as will be going to sky as it work out much cheaper even with 9 month half price. Sick of yearly increase at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Just off the phone to 1908. Was chatting to Kevin. I'm on the 240 BB & home phone package, which was going up from €56 to €59.50. Declined the €10 off per month, then got offered half price for three months, and then half price for 6 months. Pushed for 9 months at half price, but he says that offer isn't there on my account. Getting sent out a new router too. Currently I'm paying €672 a year, would have been €714 with the increase, but got it down to €531.

• Advertisement

deep1 wrote: »
    Great what number did you use?

01 2458000

Advertisement