Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 br8

fdevine wrote: »
    Can't see how anyone might get better than half price for 12 months which is what the current deal is

It is for new customers only and, for me at least, they would not budge on that

Gave my 30 days notice, waited three weeks, wife signed up for a new account, new equipment arrived within two days

Now paying exactly half what we were paying before and getting more as old package did not include mobile calls

Would not have bothered with TV and phone except for the full package being cheaper than BB on its own
    Hi, initiated cancellation today (horizon box and broadband are working **it). Once 1 month notice starts, when would you recommend signing up for new account in order to try and get as seamless a cross over as possible? would you recommend doing it after 3 weeks after your experience?
    Many thanks in advance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Got a pretty mad hike in my October bill to 68.48 for 360Mb broadband and Home Phone (no TV).
    No idea what the story is with the pretty random amount- but for BB alone- its extortionate.
    My bill up to now was 29.02- so this is more than a 100% increase.
    The agent on the phone has no explanation for the increase.

What are the best offers people are currently getting?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Got a pretty mad hike in my October bill to 68.48 for 360Mb broadband and Home Phone (no TV).
    No idea what the story is with the pretty random amount- but for BB alone- its extortionate.

I wonder were you on a 50% off offer on the old price for 6 or 9 months and they have just reverted you to the standard price for your current plan now.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I wonder were you on a 50% off offer on the old price for 6 or 9 months and they have just reverted you to the standard price for your current plan now.

I've gone through their website- there is no 360Mb standard plan @ 68.48 (I don't take TV from them).

Anyhow- they've promised me a callback shortly- I'll wait and see.

Sky 100Mb Unlimited Fibre @ 30 a month on a 12 month contract is probably what I'll go for- unless Virgin gives me a reasonable offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Word of warning re cancelling and notice period. You can only cancel over the phone ... not by email, not by online chat.
    I emailed last Friday and got a response today to say I must cancel over the phone. Just spoke to someone this AM who told me that was the case and that also my online chat Monday didn't count either. But the on-line chat Op never told me that!
    So my 30 day notice period starts 1 week later than I had wanted.

Best offer I can get is still 3 months 1/2 price. Was told again that I'd used by 'premium offers' in the last few years.
    Also told I couldn't set up wife for new a/c as they'd recognise the address and "the system is set up to counter such activity".

Make of all that what you will

• Advertisement

jay0109 wrote: »
    Word of warning re cancelling and notice period. You can only cancel over the phone ... not by email, not by online chat.
    I emailed last Friday and got a response today to say I must cancel over the phone. Just spoke to someone this AM who told me that was the case and that also my online chat Monday didn't count either. But the on-line chat Op never told me that!
    So my 30 day notice period starts 1 week later than I had wanted.

Best offer I can get is still 3 months 1/2 price. Was told again that I'd used by 'premium offers' in the last few years.
    Also told I couldn't set up wife for new a/c as they'd recognise the address and "the system is set up to counter such activity".

Make of all that what you will

Pure scaremongering on the agents part.
    There is no cost associated with keeping you as a customer for Virgin- the setup costs etc. have all been amortised, a long time ago. Whatever they can get out of you as a customer- is 'profit' (less any marginal costs- which are minimal).

Whether they could be arsed fighting to keep you- is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

If it's true that you can only cancel by phone, that's a new policy because I had no trouble canceling by email mid August

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do you not think it was unusually cheap beforehand? It's possible you got an offer last year?

By the way, €68.48 minus the self serve discount is €64.99 which is more of a round figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I'm still on my really old very slowly increasing out of contract discount I got back in 2010. Back then it was 25 euro per month lifetime discount even after the year was up. This was for broadband 120mb and phone, no fancy TV except the analog 17 channels. Over the years it's crept up but still only 37.49 which is the cheapest out there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I'm still on my really old very slowly increasing out of contract discount I got back in 2010. Back then it was 25 euro per month lifetime discount even after the year was up. This was for broadband 120mb and phone, no fancy TV except the analog 17 channels. Over the years it's crept up but still only 37.49 which is the cheapest out there I think.

Yep, they only ran that plan for a fortnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yep, they only ran that plan for a fortnight

I got very lucky I know. I love when Vodafone ring me and cant believe I'm on a plan at that price. Their systems never show a competitor plan at that level. Modem has survived all that time too (touch wood!).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If it's true that you can only cancel by phone, that's a new policy because I had no trouble canceling by email mid August

The only provision for cancellation in their Terms and Conditions is a months written notice. There is no provision for cancellation over the phone.

From their website:
    How do I cancel?
    You can cancel your contract by providing one months notice in writing to Virgin Media.
    If the contract is terminated during your minimum period, cancellation charges may apply.

By telling people to cancel over the phone they are in breach of their own T&C’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

The new basic triple play offering is a rip off - 6mths@ €64 and 6 mths at €89 equating to €918 pver 12mths . Their previous offering was €49 per month on a 12 mth contract equating to €588

Has anyone managed to negotiate a new reasonable offer - Coming into the final months of my contract and when/if I negotiate a new one i wont be accepting anything less than 9 mths half price - would be interest to hear how others have faired since they launched these new packages (in the past week i believe)

Quite a few increases across all there packages, when were these latest hikes announced? I’m a month out of my latest 9 month half price offer and I was paying 25 per month and the final three months was to remain at 2016 price of 50e a month for the pack I was on, (240mb BB and phone) that pack had gone up to €55 at the time, now I see it has risen again to €59. They really are taking the piss with these yearly near 10% increases.

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    The new basic triple play offering is a rip off - 6mths@ €64 and 6 mths at €89 equating to €918 pver 12mths . Their previous offering was €49 per month on a 12 mth contract equating to €588

Has anyone managed to negotiate a new reasonable offer - Coming into the final months of my contract and when/if I negotiate a new one i wont be accepting anything less than 9 mths half price - would be interest to hear how others have faired since they launched these new packages (in the past week i believe)

That previous offer of €49 per month was a new customer offer only I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Hey all,

my contract will end soon and wanted to check if anyone managed to get 9 months half price recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Amouar wrote: »
    Hey all,

my contract will end soon and wanted to check if anyone managed to get 9 months half price recently?

Mine is out too, the service has been faultless from day 1 so I can't use that as a lever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Hey all,

Best they could do for me was 6 months. So just ended up cancelling and getting another housemate to sign up to the current offer of 55/mo for bb/tv/phone for 12 months.

I think that offer is gone now though sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Hey all,

triple quote :D

called them month before mine expired - well early September since contract got extended after last year they gave deals to most and few weeks later they made changes again which extended contract to early October for most- it was nuisance since they were holding back without offering any deal this time,got to some loyalty rep management and one said could take off 16e for 6 months of my 60e bb plan, which for me was crap deal since signing up as new customer youd get 6mt half price by just swapping the name with someone else s in the house.

Anyway called again week later got some chap in Limerick said could do 3 months half price,said fckit and sign me on since he did sound someone who gave a bit of crap.

interesting part is that once got contract emailed its showing up like this below ?

360MB AND MOBILE WORLD (Active)-€66.00 - €33.00LOYALTY OFFER - 6 MONTHS HALF PRICE - €3.51* Self-service discount appliedPromotional Monthly Charge €29.49 Monthly Charge after all offers expire €62.49

So hoping maybe with some luck gotten 6months, but otherwise they seem really tight on giving any deals given theres 0 competition if you need speed and arent anywhere close to fiber.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Caliden wrote: »
    Best they could do for me was 6 months. So just ended up cancelling and getting another housemate to sign up to the current offer of 55/mo for bb/tv/phone for 12 months.

I think that offer is gone now though sadly.

Virgin have changed their plans and the cost of them since Tuesday. Gone is that good offer of €49.00 for triple bundle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

Virgin media have been terrible with deals lately. I am out of contract and rang up to see what they would offer me. Only the standard 6 months for half price. Compared to sky's 12 months half price offer at the moment i was hoping for more. So i declined and cancelled.

I have 30 days before my contract expires, i hope they come back with another offer for around 9 months otherwise im off to sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Bodan wrote: »
    Virgin media have been terrible with deals lately. I am out of contract and rang up to see what they would offer me. Only the standard 6 months for half price. Compared to sky's 12 months half price offer at the moment i was hoping for more. So i declined and cancelled.

I have 30 days before my contract expires, i hope they come back with another offer for around 9 months otherwise im off to sky.

Literally just had the same discussion with them. Told them I'm off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

On to VM today. I have 240mb Broadband with anytime world plus mobiles. Currently paying €52.50 per month. Best offer was €37.50 for 6 months and back up to €52.50 after that. I went ahead with the cancellation.

If I contact them closer to the cut off date will they provide a better offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

On to VM today. I have 240mb Broadband with anytime world plus mobiles. Currently paying €52.50 per month. Best offer was €37.50 for 6 months and back up to €52.50 after that. I went ahead with the cancellation.

If I contact them closer to the cut off date will they provide a better offer?

In the same boat. 2mths of contract left. Wifi poor had red house ninja out but he attributed it to living in a densely populated area! Had tried eir for broadband but was poor and messy with cabling due to location of my telephone socket. I’d try calling them again but I’d say 6monhs half price is the best you may do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

In the same boat. 2mths of contract left. Wifi poor had red house ninja out but he attributed it to living in a densely populated area! Had tried eir for broadband but was poor and messy with cabling due to location of my telephone socket. I’d try calling them again but I’d say 6monhs half price is the best you may do.

It's not even 6 months half price :p. The deals seem to be drying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

It's not even 6 months half price :p. The deals seem to be drying up.

Yeah I’d keep calling until you get 6mths half price. No 9mth deals going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Quite a few increases across all there packages, when were these latest hikes announced? I’m a month out of my latest 9 month half price offer and I was paying 25 per month and the final three months was to remain at 2016 price of 50e a month for the pack I was on, (240mb BB and phone) that pack had gone up to €55 at the time, now I see it has risen again to €59. They really are taking the piss with these yearly near 10% increases.

I'm on a similar discount, this is my last month So told them I'm off. Their Loyalty rang me and the best they are offering is half price for six months and then the full whack. But If I go with 360 MB, they'll give me 9 months half price which would be € 32 something and then 65 after 9 months.

Are Sky/VDF any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Apologies if this has already been discussed! I am currently on a 9 month half price offer for tv, B.B. and phone. Not 100% sure but I think In January I am going to full price. Does anyone know what plans are increasing in price from January? Apparently you can get out of your contract if they put up your plan. The €3.50 self service discount will be gone for everyone in January apparently :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

I'm on a similar discount, this is my last month So told them I'm off. Their Loyalty rang me and the best they are offering is half price for six months and then the full whack. But If I go with 360 MB, they'll give me 9 months half price which would be € 32 something and then 65 after 9 months.

Are Sky/VDF any good?

They only gave me 6 months half price on the 360mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Millem wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been discussed! I am currently on a 9 month half price offer for tv, B.B. and phone. Not 100% sure but I think In January I am going to full price. Does anyone know what plans are increasing in price from January? Apparently you can get out of your contract if they put up your plan. The €3.50 self service discount will be gone for everyone in January apparently :(

If self discount goes then that is happy news - a change of contractual terms allows you to leave a contract early (in my case while I'm still enjoying my 6 month half price discount).

Advertisement