Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Volunteered at St Anne's Parkrun this morning, loads of people running in DCM 2014 shirts! Ugly* though they are, worn with pride! :)

Edit: *the shirts, not the people!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

DCM shirts @ Malahide parkrun as well. Easy 5k with the dog, around 34 minutes, she was bored with the slow pace, suited me perfectly !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hey all,

Well unsurprisingly I'm adjusting quite well. Woke early and was going to do an easy run, made myself stay in bed and got up at 12! A lie in! I went for 2 easy miles, had planned on 3 and watched pace, legs fine but stitch, sort of, so took it easy and turned back at one. Windy out so glad I didn't wear myself out trying. I'm still on my Saturday one a day caffeinated nuun drink. This is because I'm actually going out in town tonight, TO DRINK and meet people. Will probably be half dead by 10 but still, I'm going out!

I still don't have a post-marathon plan as yet. The bag that I promised myself for completing is even on sale today and am not racing for town. No thoughts on races as yet. Will do the Jingle Bells but other than that I don't know. My friend had suggest Connenmara a few months ago but with the reports earlier this week I'm not so sure. Don't know if I want to do a marathon abroad either as no friends or family to hug en-route.

Anyway here are Monday's results. Thankfully the garmin didn't have a fit an lasted the distance. All 26.52 miles.
    From this and even from the obvious slow bits I think a 4.10 marathon is more achievable and enjoyable than 4?

Summary 4:19:58.2 26.52 9:48
    1 9:28.4 1.00 9:28
    2 9:03.5 1.00 9:04
    3 8:58.6 1.00 8:59
    4 9:20.7 1.00 9:21
    5 9:12.3 1.00 9:12
    6 9:05.7 1.00 9:06
    7 9:22.3 1.00 9:22
    8 8:51.7 1.00 8:52
    9 9:06.5 1.00 9:07
    10 9:23.0 1.00 9:23
    11 9:15.0 1.00 9:15
    12 9:01.8 1.00 9:02
    13 9:39.1 1.00 9:39
    14 11:59.5 1.00 12:00
    15 10:34.1 1.00 10:34
    16 11:04.9 1.00 11:05
    17 12:18.2 1.00 12:18
    18 10:23.3 1.00 10:23
    19 9:22.4 1.00 9:23
    20 9:51.9 1.00 9:52
    21 10:02.0 1.00 10:02
    22 10:21.8 1.00 10:22
    23 9:19.0 1.00 9:19
    24 10:24.8 1.00 10:25
    25 10:45.1 1.00 10:45
    26 9:29.6 1.00 9:30
    27 4:13.0 0.52 8:08

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

This morning something very rare happened - each of the 3 beauties had activities at the same time so my husband decided to join me for a slow 3 miler in lovely sunshine. It felt good to be back out again!

Now, to plan the next goal/challenge. I definitely want to improve my times over shorter distances & take advantage of my current level of fitness and then that should set me up to improve my marathon time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I've just taken the first step towards joining a club and e-mailed SLOT

My post-Marathon depression has suddenly vanished and I'm excited again :D

Thinking of doing the same actually. .. And they are getting a new track!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

well seems everyone went out running this morning.. I decided for the lycra option and took the road bike out for a 50k spin.. was a nice morning for it..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Where can you find the videos?

No running for me since monday. Legs still a little sore. Might do a short run in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

http://www.mysports.tv/events/DM14/results.asp

Enter your race number and you can then buy for 13 eur. I did not get a 10k video as I had no 10k time split. I have emailed them about it.

I went out on the road bike today. 22 miles. Legs felt good but it rained for good bit of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Still not gone for a run yet but have been in contact with Ger Flaherty in Blackrock Athletics Club and planning to go for a few outings with them over the coming weeks to see what its like, totally new area for me now that I've left rugby behind, but already think I'm going to love it. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Still not been out running. Still catching up on my eating, drinking and sleeping. No less enjoyable though.

• Advertisement

What do people feel are the benefits of joining a club?
    I know the social side of things are definitely a plus.
    However I like to train on my own too as I find it easier to focus.
    Plus you can go out whenever you want and sometimes you just want to clear your head.
    The only thing is it might be easier to do intervals with company especially if there was a track.
    I would not mind doing a few track sessioms. See what little pace I have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Plus you can go out whenever you want and sometimes you just want to clear your head.
    The only thing is it might be easier to do intervals with company especially if there was a track.

For me I want to improve my times and open myself up to different types of training or sessions rather than potter along at my usual pace. I know I could that to an extent myself with plans from internet etc but to be honest I find it all a bit overwhelming and I think a club would be a good way to start. I like running by myself but think it would be nice to have company for some as well, bit of variety.

As far as I know joining a club doesn't mean you're chained to going all the time to every session so still room to go for those runs when you want for whatever reason. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I joined a club in April, by June id knocked 9 mins off my 10k race time, 7 off my 5 mile and I'm almost at sub 25 5k when I was at 30 mins last year. One thing I noticed is the intensity of the sessions is much higher than my solo runs so it pushes me to work harder than I had on my own. Club sessions are two days a week leaving 6 days to run solo if i want but to be honest I usually try & hook up with someone as its more enjoyable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'm already thinking about next years 18 to 21 mile LSRs which I found so difficult to get thru mentally on my own.

The most obvious benefit is the guidance you'd get and the different types of training as said. Plus the extra motivation of representing a team instead of just yourself.

Also, you will be pushed harder without really noticing it as much

And I'd often go to a 10K race or 5k race or whatever race on my own and it's so much more enjoyable to do it with others as part of a group

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

I booked the week off work for a training course which was cancelled, and a city break in Amsterdam. I went for a 4 mile run in the Phoenix Park on Thursday, slower than easy pace with plenty of stops to take pictures. It was lovely. Took me as long to drive to the RDS afterwards in traffic as I took for the run. There are perks to living in the sticks. Planning to go for another slow run tomorrow morning in Vondelpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

I have made initial enquiries into joining a club & going to go along next week to one of their sessions. Think the diff types of training is a major plus, along with running with others & going to races with others

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

... Of course a drawback is there's no club in my town. I think I'll check out the nearest one to me anyway.

Are members under pressure in races to collect team points etc?

Are members under pressure in races to collect team points etc?
    Not in my club, I joined the seniors and was very worried about being way behind them! I am behind them but there's still a mix of winners, ordinary fast runners and slower runners. As far as i know most if not all running clubs will welcome all new runners regardless of speed & pace. Just go up & talk to them, they are after all fellow runners, and well, you're a marathon runner now!

Firedance wrote: »
    I joined a club in April, by June id knocked 9 mins off my 10k race time, 7 off my 5 mile and I'm almost at sub 25 5k when I was at 30 mins last year. One thing I noticed is the intensity of the sessions is much higher than my solo runs so it pushes me to work harder than I had on my own. Club sessions are two days a week leaving 6 days to run solo if i want but to be honest I usually try & hook up with someone as its more enjoyable now.

Hi Firedance - what do you put the improvement down to? Just running better in a group as you said? Or following particular sessions or plans provided by the club?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

An 8 day week...Cool..:)

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Hi Firedance - what do you put the improvement down to? Just running better in a group as you said? Or following particular sessions or plans provided by the club?
    Running faster! The sessions we do are interval sprints which I've tried solo before but in a club environment I was pushing faster - we also do tempo runs and again I found I was pushing harder for longer than when id done them solo. I can't recommend it enough, I only wish id joined this time last year to have had a better base going into DCM.

Casey78 wrote: »
    An 8 day week...Cool..:)
    Ha ha haaaa oops! Marathon brain? Nope, just thicko :-)

Running faster! The sessions we do are interval sprints which I've tried solo before but in a club environment I was pushing faster - we also do tempo runs and again I found I was pushing harder for longer than when id done them solo. I can't recommend it enough, I only wish id joined this time last year to have had a better base going into DCM.

Super, great to hear. Going to leave the body to settle down, get back into easy running for "fun" for a while and then look into it more in a few weeks. Doing DCM again next year so??? ;)

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Super, great to hear. Going to leave the body to settle down, get back into easy running for "fun" for a while and then look into it more in a few weeks. Doing DCM again next year so??? ;)
    Thinking more 2016...planning to train well next year, work on my weekly milage & half marathon times & then maybe come back & try again better prepared :-) how about you Laura will you go again?

I have been looking into getting a water bladder for hiking, cycling and it would also be very handy for long runs.
    As I do my long runs in the countryside it would be very handy not to have to carry bottles and putting them into ditches.
    I saw the Woodside 2 litre hydration backpack on Amazon for about 13eur but the postage costs were nearly double that.
    Has anyone used these? I have seen a few runners with them.

Thinking more 2016...planning to train well next year, work on my weekly milage & half marathon times & then maybe come back & try again better prepared :-) how about you Laura will you go again?

At some stage, yes. Maybe not next year. Want to do similar to you and work on other stuff. See how that goes. Hard to say after that - life can change quite quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

What I want to know is. will our magnificent mentor be with us at the start line of DCM 2015?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I came across a good tip on Runners World about starting to run again after a first marathon: simply do your taper in reverse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I have been looking into getting a water bladder for hiking, cycling and it would also be very handy for long runs.
    As I do my long runs in the countryside it would be very handy not to have to carry bottles and putting them into ditches.
    I saw the Woodside 2 litre hydration backpack on Amazon for about 13eur but the postage costs were nearly double that.
    Has anyone used these? I have seen a few runners with them.

I use a camelbak, dead handy, holds about 3l and has pockets for phones, gels, snacks, keys/wallets etc. There are cheaper non branded versions out there though. if you ever go North, or have friends in the UK or the continent try Decathlon, well worth a visit for that kind of stuff.

Decathlon Hydration Packs

Advertisement