Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

ciaranmac wrote: »
    I think I'd have a divorce on my hands if I even breathed the word ultra.

ha ha - I hear ya. the marathon training causes enough grief at times right enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

ice9 wrote: »
    check this article out. So who is up for ultras?

Way back when I started training for Mondays marathon I was thinking it would be a good stepping stone to get into ultras. Now, having struggled as much as I did I think I'll leave the ultras for a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

menoscemo wrote: »
    I paced her to her first sub 2 HM 3 years ago and I think it was her 3rd or 4th go at it.

You can check out her progress tomorrow on the events forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057317399
    Ye, but she was trying for sub 1:50 at the time:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

RayCun wrote: »
    That's claralara
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056134487
    go read her training log everyone

Wow, that is some story of progress. She was nearly as slow as me when she started off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Next baby born to any 2014 novice has to be named Ososlo

Regardless of gender!

Won't be mine :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

menoscemo wrote: »
    I paced her to her first sub 2 HM 3 years ago and I think it was her 3rd or 4th go at it.

You can check out her progress tomorrow on the events forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057317399

Lovely. Some post marathon reading. Any idea what she she is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Joleigh wrote: »
    Lovely. Some post marathon reading. Any idea what she she is?

That's what she calls her boyfriend, aka digger

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

A few weeks ago when we were discussing post marathon plans everyone was talking about concentrating on shorter stuff, yet here we are, 2 days after and all the talk is of Ultras and more marathons.

Is anyone thinking in terms of shorter stuff at all?

I have to think all the marathon training should have improved my fitness to the point that there are PB's there for the taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

adrian522 wrote: »
    A few weeks ago when we were discussing post marathon plans everyone was talking about concentrating on shorter stuff, yet here we are, 2 days after and all the talk is of Ultras and more marathons.

I have to think all the marathon training should have improved my fitness to the point that there are PB's there for the taking.

I'm going crazy putting a plan together, any input at all appreciated. Really not sure if it's okay or not, but it looks good to me so far. All designed for a huge 10K PB in 8 weeks time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13680IFVTYuNX7NAGzDzSnUqJmC0iq2fYOYIqgMTfcYw/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm going crazy putting a plan together, any input at all appreciated. Really not sure if it's okay or not, but it looks good to me so far. All designed for a huge 10K PB in 8 weeks time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13680IFVTYuNX7NAGzDzSnUqJmC0iq2fYOYIqgMTfcYw/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

Bit of a stretch calling 5 miles a long run!

Other than that it looks good, but maybe make sure you don't feel any marathon after effects before hitting the 400m intervals and maybe skip that session if needed.

Most advice I've heard is to take 2 weeks off and then 2 weeks of easy runs before adding in more quality.

Whats the goal race in 8 weeks by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

I'm going to have a stab at a sub 60 minute 10K. When I started running in 2012 I did 61.29 in a training run, not very well paced with walking breaks and a 2 minute positive split, and I thought I'd get it soon with experience and better fitness. But life got in the way and when I started running again this year I didn't get close to it. 64.30 in the Milltown "Run for Ollie" (also with walking breaks, the heat that day being my excuse) and 63.03 last month in a training run (ran at a rock steady pace all the way, 35s negative split) were my best 10Ks this year.

Rather than chase that PB I went for the main thing, but now it's the next on the list. There are a couple of 10Ks coming up before the end of the year so I'll have a few shots at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

I'm going to be studying nights for a degree for the next two years so I don't see myself having time to train properly for another marathon till that's done (but you never know). I've picked up a lot of lessons about focus, planning and goal setting that will see me through it, and the experience of DCM is something I'll carry with me forever.

Waiting in line. Won't believe I can do it until I finish. Pacers in front of me. The ubiquitous Team Carrie. Sense of expectation. Trust your training, stick to the plan. Go. Moving. The first few miles are a blur. The aroma from Guinness brewery, giving me a thirst as we went up the quays. Foot starting to niggle already. Please let it be OK. The signs in the park - The lions are loose, run faster - Run like you've TAKEN something from Liam Neeson. The band in Castleknock playing Molly Malone. The fella in the 18th century costume. The guy running with a ukulele.

Guitar man at the hill after the underpass in Inchicore playing Proud Mary. The cornucopia of jellies being handed out after halfway. Eye of the Tiger blasting out in Kilmainham village (I think). Portaloos outside Kilmainham Gaol - so wrong and so right. Paolo from Italy who I also saw at the Burren Half back in May. You must be sick of me shouting encouragement in really bad Italian. Bravo! Meeting fellow Boardsie MKDTH and yes you're right, I did start to struggle after I left you behind. I was full sure you'd passed me again as I walked most of that really windy sunny drag. The woman holding the sign "Yous are all certifiable". True that. Ring my better half to tell her I'll be at least 10 minutes later than planned, 5 hours is gone. Are you OK she asks? It's all relative. I've just seen a guy passed out with paramedics around him.

15 miles? I thought the last one was 15. Then 16 miles - only 10 to go. Sure what's .2 between friends. How the cheering got louder when I needed to walk, so I had to run again. Oh the humanity. High fiving kids (and grownups) till my hands hurt. Speaking of hands, those blue yokes are noisy. Now I know the sound of one hand clapping. Lucozade Sport... no way, that stuff is urine... ah alright give me it, twist my arm why don't you? Handy the water station that ran out of water took a delivery just as I got there and I could grab one off the crate. The woman holding the sign "Hurry up, my arms are starting to hurt" - my arms are the only bit that don't hurt, missus.

Portaloos outside the mosque in Clonskeagh - the answer to prayers. Roebuck hill - doesn't look like much ow ow ow ow. The spike of envy seeing a guy with a yellow bib and a finisher's medal on Fosters Avenue. And realising you're 4 miles from having a medal like that yourself. 4 miles - easy. ow ow ow. The lad singing along to Robbie Williams on his headphones at the UCD flyover. Whatever gets you over the line, my friend. Having a nosey look up Nutley Park where my Granny lived, to see if it's changed. It hasn't. Consistency in a world gone mad. Seeing Mam & Dad at the bottom of Nutley Lane - better not let them see me walking. Don't hug too tight, Mam! Saying "race you to the finish" to two other runners and seeing them disappear in the distance.

My better half running alongside me past the RDS. She's just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I told her I've to run a marathon to feel how she feels every day. Now 25 miles. People shouting "1 mile to go". Suddenly that .2 seems significant. 800 metres to go. Two laps of a track. Alright I can run this bit. Jazus is that the finish line? Please let it be the finish line. It wasn't the finish line. 400m to go. 0.2 of a bleedin mile. Whyyyyy? I can't go on but I can't stop running now with all these people watching. Ow ow ow. I still can't see the finish line, just some blue stuff on the road. I must have done 400m by now. Can't feel me feet anymore. This is a good thing. Didn't like how they felt for the last 22 miles anyway. Why did I sign up for this? Because cancer.

Is that - can it be - it is the finish gantry. It's miiiles away. That's the finish line of the marathon you just ran. Choke up. Random kid reaches out his hand, I swerve to give him a high five, smile and wobble and nearly trip. Anxious medics look in my direction. Keep moving. Clock says 5:49.something. Mental arithmetic. That's 5.29 blue wave time. Gone 5.30 now. But I was a ways back from the start. I can still make 5.30 chip time. Nearly there. Left leg, right leg... That's the line. Dodge the girl who just stopped in front of me. No more blue stuff on the road. I ... did ... it! A marathon. Not sure if I can even walk over to collect my goody bag. I ran a marathon. Well, and jogged. And walked. I finished a marathon. All of it with my own two feet - who cares how they moved. I did a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Looks good. My only thoughts would be to maybe swop around the LSR's in weeks 5 and 6, so that the slightly longer one is 3 weeks out from race day. Maybe increase the distance on 1 or 2 of the Tuesday tempos to bring you up to the 10k distance?

I can't quote science or logic at you, they is just my observations! Not that anyone would trust my wisdom around here these days, and I wouldn't blame them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

maybe post in here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057318016
    about what to do next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

My quads are still healing. Going down the stairs is still difficult, holding onto the banisters to take the weight. I went for a bit of a swim earlier and then into the sauna for 10 mins to get the blood flowing. I might do a walk tomorrow to ease back in.

I cycled into work today and the minute I began I thought, why didn't I do this earlier in the week. Walking (even just to the dart station & then the office) was worse than the 20 minutes it took me to cycle in today. :D

I've had back to back great night sleeps after not getting much sleep on Sunday,Monday or Tuesday nights. I'm on call from work, luckily they've left me alone the last 2 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

I've had back to back great night sleeps after not getting much sleep on Sunday,Monday or Tuesday nights. I'm on call from work, luckily they've left me alone the last 2 nights.

Ditto here. Oncall too! First two nights were very broken and restless. Legend sleep Wed and Thurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Hi Maggot/Puddin,
    I happened on this earlier in the year and tried to incorporate it somehow into training for the Race Series 10k.
    https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/39

I only did it sporadically (it's only supposed to be every 2 weeks, and I did it less than that), and never got beyond doing 5x1miles (ie never got to his blocks of 2miles). All the same I thought it seemed a very good workout to have on a fortnightly basis (maybe replacing the tempo).

I did knock off 3 mins from my 10k PB (got sub 50mins) in the goal race but not sure whether this workout contributed (I didn't do much of it) or just generally being *slightly* consistent in running over the weeks.

Still have improving my 10k as a goal for late January before the heavier mileage of marathon training sets in.

Hi Maggot/Puddin,
    I happened on this earlier in the year and tried to incorporate it somehow into training for the Race Series 10k.
    https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/39

I only did it sporadically (it's only supposed to be every 2 weeks, and I did it less than that), and never got beyond doing 5x1miles (ie never got to his blocks of 2miles). All the same I thought it seemed a very good workout to have on a fortnightly basis (maybe replacing the tempo).

I did knock off 3 mins from my 10k PB (got sub 50mins) in the goal race but not sure whether this workout contributed (I didn't do much of it) or just generally being *slightly* consistent in running over the weeks.

Still have improving my 10k as a goal for late January before the heavier mileage of marathon training sets in.

Thanks hillside, I would have thought I have enough interval sessions in there at the moment, but I will definitely take a look and make changes if I like the look of something.

Had a nice relaxing swim this morning, I realised very quickly my back muscles are very weak but it has done my legs wonders. Still have a bit of an ache from the top of my hips so will lay off any running this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Note: Entry to DCM 2015 is now open

https://eventmaster.ie/event.php?event_id=607

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 locombia

DCM 2014 race report:

I’ve been following this thread since the very beginning and I must say I don’t know what I would’ve done without it...The constant flow of advice, sage wisdom, similar ups, similar downs have all kept me on the track to what was one of the toughest but best experiences of my life so far. Without this thread I would’ve lined up to the starting line a different runner for sure! So thank you all for keeping me company throughout and to Ososlo for mentoring it.

Background:

I started running about three years ago. It all started when I hit 30 and decided to get up off my ass and do something about keeping healthy and in shape. As a child, I always was athletically inclined but my problem from teenage years onwards were pure and utter laziness. I did no exercise during my college years and would dip in and out of classes (yoga, zumba, kettlebells) but never stuck or committed to anything. When I reached my third decade, I decided to sign up to one of those bootcamp classes that everybody was taking part in. I enjoyed them as you really had to push yourself and I wasn’t too bad at it, but the thing I enjoyed more about the class was when they asked us to either jog or sprint a few laps of the field. When I did, it brought me right back to when I was 10 or 11 participating in the community games and I was winning medals. The want to get to the finish before everybody else was brought back like a flash and from then on I was hooked on running again. I never went back to bootcamp, bought myself a pair of new runners and went for jog around the block. I haven’t looked back since.

For the next two years I went from signing up to a 5km, 8km, a few 10km and finally the Wicklow Half marathon. I followed Hal Higdon’s plans and trained by myself for each one of them. I loved it and started to really see an improvement not only in my fitness but in my whole outlook in life. I just felt generally better about myself. Every time I finished a race I would take a wee break and then set myself my next goal (for the 3 years that I have been running I don’t think I’ve ever ran without a goal in mind. I don’t think I would be able to do it without one tbh). I completed the Clontarf Half marathon last year with a decent time so I decided the only thing left now is go for the full 26.2 miles! Looking at all the different possibilities I decided if I was to complete my first one it would have to be the Dublin Marathon. It’s where I live and all my friends and family are here so when January 2014 came around I thought nothing of it and signed myself up for it. No questions about it, no doubts. Just do it!

When I did sign up for it, I knew that I didn’t want to train for it on my own. I had trained for 2 half marathons by myself and I have to say, training for the 2nd one was tough. I was spending so much time running in preparation for it on my own and nobody really knew what I was putting in except myself. So I decided that I would join a club. It took me a while to decide which one and to actually go to my first session, but when I did it was great. Everyone there liked running but not only did they like it they loved talking endlessly about it too! Bingo!!!! (To those that are half thinking of joining one I would recommend it highly). Once I started with the group, I learnt so many things about running in general and saw a remarkable improvement with my times etc. So my journey to DCM 2014 started.

I completed the Frank Duffy and the Half Marathon of the race series with PB’s and followed the clubs marathon plan pretty much to the letter. I was running 4-5 times a week, my long slow runs were going well and we were doing interval, fartlek, easy and steady runs from about June onwards.

The race:

The week leading up to the marathon was a little bit tense. Tapering was a new concept to me and it was difficult to get my head around it. Running had pretty much taken up my entire life for the last 3 months so although the decrease in mileage was nice it also felt like I was going to lose all the fitness I had built up over the weeks! I got through it though and managed to stay away from any evil temptations that crept up over the long weekend. I slept really well on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and when it was time to get up on Monday I felt fresh and ready to go!

Following my usual breakfast routine, my sister dropped me off on Baggott street for about 7.30 am (all ready I noticed that it was quite warm for the time of the year but being a novice I didn’t think any of it). I met with my fellow clubmates for a chat and some last racing tips (the warm weather was mentioned straight away by the veterans...again...I niavely thought nothing of it) and then off we went to our assigned pens.

Going into the pen, I was still not 100% of what my Goal A time was going to be. The stats and calculators all indicated a sub-4 time for me (3.58/3.59) but I wasn’t 100% on this. I knew from past racing experiences, that the first time racing a longer distance than the last, those last few extra miles or kms were always unknown territory for my body. It’s not until you are there, racing them, that you will find out if your body will say ‘yeah, I’m okay with this’ or ‘no, don’t like this at all. Sorry’.

So, in my heart, while I would’ve loved to get a sub 4 I thought better to err on the side of caution and go with Goal A 4.10 Goal B 4.20 and Goal C finish it. This decision was made when I was in the pen with half an hour to go before kick-off time (a bit too late for Ososlo??sorry..).

What I had decided before hand though, was that I was going to race my own race and not follow the pacers. The pacers worked for me a treat in the Dublin Half but I had raced that distance before so I kind of knew what was ahead, and even then, found them a bit too quick for me for the first miles, leading me to push really hard for the last two miles. I didn’t want to do this for my first attempt at marathon distance. I would simply use the pacers as an indicator of where I was in the race and I would go by feel as the race progressed.

Starting off was really exciting. There was a real buzz in Wave 2 and all I could see were smiles all around. National anthem, Wave 1 off and then it was our go. Yipeeeee! I loved it. Loved seeing the sea of bobbing heads going down Leeson st and onto the Liberties where my granny grew up. It was a bit congested at parts but the flow kept going and all of a sudden we were on the Quays! That was fast. I was carrying a bottle with diluted Lucozade so quickly avoided the crowded water station and kept going. My sister popped up at Heuston station as well as some of the clubs supporters. Gave them a wave and headed for the park.

Quickly looked at my Garmin and I was at a good pace but slowed it down a notch just in case I was going too fast. At this stage people were getting into their stride and there was not many overtaking. Nice. Moving up Chesterfield avenue the strong side wind was causing our bibs to flap around but, again, being a novice I thought nothing of it. I actually thought ‘we’re not running against it, it’s coming from the side so no worries!’... Through Castleknock gate and I was feeling good. Pace was where I wanted it to be and fellow runners were in a brilliant mood. When we hit Castleknock it was absolutely deadly. Music was pumping, people were cheering, kids were screaming. Amazing atmosphere and I thought ‘This is what running a city marathon is about!’, ‘This is why people have been telling me to enjoy the marathon!’. Gave me goose pimples, and on we went.

Took it easy on the downhill, past Mount Sackville, had my first gel (went down well) and then back into the park. A lot more quiet here but it gave us runners a chance to socialise with fellow runners and to soak up the whole race atmosphere. I was feeling great, pace was where I wanted to be and I was just behind the 2nd 4hr pacer. Good stuff.

Onto Chapelizod, where again the carnival atmosphere was electric! Loved the two boys playing the drums. Up Sarsfield road, under the bridge and then taking it nice and easy on that hill even though I had all the energy in the world to bomb right up it. Passing by a few locals who decided to come out and see what all this commotion is about (loved the woman ringing the old school bell!), man singing ‘Proud Mary’, Rolling!, and on towards Inchicore. The crowd here were deadly but the guys in the fancy dress were the highlight. ‘Can’t wait to party like you guys in a weeks time’ I thought to myself and pressed on. Up SCR and towards Dolphins Barn. This is when I started to see people around me flagging a wee bit, some even stopping to walk but I just kept on going. I had to!

I live in Kimmage, so all of this area onwards is quite familiar to me. I’ve ran up Crumlin road a few times so I knew it was a case of just putting the head down and going at a very even pace. But the more I went up the more the wind starting to blow down and I knew that this was going to effect me and others. By this stage, the 4hr pacers were a bit ahead of me but I decided not to waste too much energy trying to catch them and just go at my own pace. The running crowd had dispersed quite a bit here so found it hard to shelter myself from the wind. Eventually got to the turn off for Walkinstown roundabout and felt a little bit of relief to have gotten through that long stretch. At this stage there were people cramping and sitting looking pale with silver sheets wrapped around them but I thought that maybe this is normal...keep going....

I had arranged that my friends would be at the KCR waiting for me, so the next stretch of road was an easy one for me as all I could think was ‘I can’t wait to see the lads’. I passed the guy who was pushing his brother in a wheelchair and gave them the thumbs up (amazing feat!). Popped my second gel here and found this one to be quite sweet with my Lucozade so decided to lose the bottle of Lucozade all together and stick to the water stations. Pace was still good, and legs were starting to feel a bit tired but nothing to be concerned of. Came up to the KCR and I think my friends gave everyone around such a shock with the roar that was let out of them for me!!!!! I nearly started to cry with emotion but gave them all enthusiastic high fives and went on.

Onto Fortfield road, again very familiar territory, but all of a sudden started to feel a dull pain in my right knee. I had felt this before whilst racing a few years ago but I hadn’t felt it for a long time or in any of my long runs. Panic started to set in but I thought just keep going. Had a few jelly babies to keep energy levels up but found them too sweet. The sun started to make an appearance for me here which started to sap a bit of energy from me. I also needed to go to the bathroom and was unsure of where the next portaloos were so all the way to Terenure and into Rathgar were quite uncomfortable for me. My pace started to slow down by about 30 seconds.

Got to the water station at mile 19 grabbed a bottle of water and quickly nipped into the portaloo. Had a quick mental chat to myself telling myself not to panic, keep focused and keep running. Got back out to the course and headed down to Milltown breathing deeply in and out which helped me hugely in trying to forget about the dull pain in my knee and with my running form in general.

Running through Milltown is a bit of a blur as I was concentrating hard on my breathing and running form. Vague recollections of unexpected people I know urging me to keep going which I did. Then on to Clonskeagh road and this is when my wheels started to fall off. My pace slowed down by a full minute and I could really feel my legs at this stage. My sister was on her bike alongside me which was good for motivation but seeing so many people walking and on the side of the street was really tough to battle through. But I did. The ‘slight inclines’ on Clonskeagh were a killer too. Wind was coming down at us pretty steadily and it was here that the 4.10 pacers passed me out. By that stage though I had completely forgotten about time and pace and was just happy that I was still running (truly showing my novice side). Funnily enough I actually was happy to see Roebuck hill because I knew that once I get over that we are on the home stretch. I really dug deep and ran up Heartbreak Hill (the pumping music helped me loads here) and onto Fosters avenue.

Thinking of Tunguskas report, I thought, all downhill from here and no more hills so give it all you can. I picked up pace here, even though my legs were screaming no, and flew down the avenue. But it wasn’t until I turned the corner onto the Stillorgan carriageway that it sunk in ‘I have to run back into town from here!!!! How am I going to do this???’ I was also quite hot and thirsty and wasn’t sure if there was a water station at UCD or not. On and on, over UCD bridge but I was really starting to flag here. My legs were on fire and all I wanted to do was stop and drink a gallon of water. I reached Nutley lane faster than I thought but in my head it was still ages to go till the finish. And it was here where I actually hit the wall.

I had to stop to walk, which to me was as good as giving up, but I just couldn’t run any further. Mile 25 was the toughest mile I have ever had to run. I had to stop, walk, stretch my legs a few times and I couldn’t see the light. I could jog for a bit but it felt more like a shuffle. I was stuck there, at that moment in a lot of pain and nothing was taking me out of it. I started to jog again as we got to the RDS but I was feeling irritated by everything including the Garmin on my wrist. I took the damn thing off and held it in my hand. It then suddenly dawned on me that I hadn’t actually looked at what time I was at since a good 5 miles back! I was just looking at my pace. So, I decided to press the button and flick it to the time I had so far accumulated and much to my surprise I was nearly on target for my Goal B!!! Halleluyah!!!! (In my head, I had given up all together and thought I had let about 30-40 minutes slip away due to stopping and walking) I got such a pleasant shock when I realised I hadn't!!!! I started to run again and quickened my pace gradually. This is where my mental strength really kicked in. All I could do was look down on the ground ahead of me, one foot in front of the other. I motored up through the crowd for the last mile, feeding off their support. I will never forget this moment. It felt like I was in the Tour de France edging myself through a small gap in the crowd towards the finish line with everybody calling out my name. These last few minutes showed me the best that people/humanity have to give. It was spine tingling awesome. (I just wished I hadn’t been in so much pain that I could’ve looked up a little bit more and really savour it.)

Onto Mount street! At last! But where is the finishing line???? All the way up there???Just go for it! You’re nearly there!!! Blue carpet means I’m nearly finished and I was!!! Hands up in the air. And done. Completed my first marathon. I looked at my watch and I was in for 4hrs 22 and absolutely thrilled!!!!!!

Medal, tshirt out to friends and family all in a bit of a haze. Saw my friend who gave me a huge hug and I just burst into tears. This is what it feels like to run 26.2 miles. This is what all those evenings, saturdays, sundays of putting on a pair of runners and going out running, hail, rain, wind or shine, accumulates to. The pain in my legs was throbbing but the sense of achievement was second to none.

Things I’ve learned from DCM 2014:

• I love running
    • Long slow runs are KEY to running a comfortable marathon. I don’t think I did enough to achieve my Goal A & B
    • Incorporate some form of strength and conditioning to your training schedule. Your body will thank you for it.
    • When setting out your time goals for your first marathon, make them very achievable. And then add an extra 10-15 minutes onto that.
    • Running form is important. Especially when times get tough. Hold your head up high. It will make you more comfortable and go faster.
    • Mental strength is even more vital when running this distance. When things get tough be prepared for it and OVERCOME it (mantras, focusing on your breathing, smiling, singing) but be strong!
    • Hydrate all the week before the marathon
    • Take weather of that morning into consideration for your time goals.
    • Stopping to walk for a bit is NOT a bad thing.
    • The support is what makes DCM great. Enjoy the energy they give you as much as possible!
    • This is my first but certainly won’t be my last marathon.

Nice report there, well done on getting through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Just had a look at this plan.

Couple of observations..

1) I'd leave off week 2 session and replace with easy miles, better off with the extra week of easy miles from the marathon.

2)Do you reckon 2 sessions a week will be doable (i.e the tempo and the intervals)? It may be burnout, ok for a more experienced runner but maybe a bit of a jump for a novice.. You could alternate the weeks, interval one week and tempo the next on the thursday. On the tuesday run then just have an easy run with strides.

3) Recoveries look way too short on a number of the sessions, it's recommended that recovery should be 50-90% of each rep time.

4) 15x 400 is a bit intense. I'd recommend to progress something similar to this if you want to concentrate on reps:

Wk 3:6 x 800 @ 5km pace (to make the pace of the rest feel easier)
    Wk 4:5 x 1200 @ 10km pace
    Wk 5:4 x 1600 @ 10km pace
    Wk 6:2 x 2mile /1 x 1mile @ 10km pace
    Wk 7:3 x 2 mile @ 10km pace (key session,do this on tuesday if possible to give extra couple days rest. If you nail this, you will be looking good)

Could do with an extra couple of weeks for the plan, but what ya gonna do! ;)

Just some thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Super race report Ciaranmac, really enjoyed reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done locombia.
    Great report, although:
    locombia wrote: »
    Every time I finished a race I would take a wee break

TMI! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

ciaranmac wrote: »
    I'm going to be studying nights for a degree for the next two years so I don't see myself having time to train properly for another marathon till that's done (but you never know). I've picked up a lot of lessons about focus, planning and goal setting that will see me through it, and the experience of DCM is something I'll carry with me forever.

Waiting in line. Won't believe I can do it until I finish. Pacers in front of me. The ubiquitous Team Carrie. Sense of expectation. Trust your training, stick to the plan. Go. Moving. The first few miles are a blur. The aroma from Guinness brewery, giving me a thirst as we went up the quays. Foot starting to niggle already. Please let it be OK. The signs in the park - The lions are loose, run faster - Run like you've TAKEN something from Liam Neeson. The band in Castleknock playing Molly Malone. The fella in the 18th century costume. The guy running with a ukulele.

Guitar man at the hill after the underpass in Inchicore playing Proud Mary. The cornucopia of jellies being handed out after halfway. Eye of the Tiger blasting out in Kilmainham village (I think). Portaloos outside Kilmainham Gaol - so wrong and so right. Paolo from Italy who I also saw at the Burren Half back in May. You must be sick of me shouting encouragement in really bad Italian. Bravo! Meeting fellow Boardsie MKDTH and yes you're right, I did start to struggle after I left you behind. I was full sure you'd passed me again as I walked most of that really windy sunny drag. The woman holding the sign "Yous are all certifiable". True that. Ring my better half to tell her I'll be at least 10 minutes later than planned, 5 hours is gone. Are you OK she asks? It's all relative. I've just seen a guy passed out with paramedics around him.

15 miles? I thought the last one was 15. Then 16 miles - only 10 to go. Sure what's .2 between friends. How the cheering got louder when I needed to walk, so I had to run again. Oh the humanity. High fiving kids (and grownups) till my hands hurt. Speaking of hands, those blue yokes are noisy. Now I know the sound of one hand clapping. Lucozade Sport... no way, that stuff is urine... ah alright give me it, twist my arm why don't you? Handy the water station that ran out of water took a delivery just as I got there and I could grab one off the crate. The woman holding the sign "Hurry up, my arms are starting to hurt" - my arms are the only bit that don't hurt, missus.

Portaloos outside the mosque in Clonskeagh - the answer to prayers. Roebuck hill - doesn't look like much ow ow ow ow. The spike of envy seeing a guy with a yellow bib and a finisher's medal on Fosters Avenue. And realising you're 4 miles from having a medal like that yourself. 4 miles - easy. ow ow ow. The lad singing along to Robbie Williams on his headphones at the UCD flyover. Whatever gets you over the line, my friend. Having a nosey look up Nutley Park where my Granny lived, to see if it's changed. It hasn't. Consistency in a world gone mad. Seeing Mam & Dad at the bottom of Nutley Lane - better not let them see me walking. Don't hug too tight, Mam! Saying "race you to the finish" to two other runners and seeing them disappear in the distance.

My better half running alongside me past the RDS. She's just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I told her I've to run a marathon to feel how she feels every day. Now 25 miles. People shouting "1 mile to go". Suddenly that .2 seems significant. 800 metres to go. Two laps of a track. Alright I can run this bit. Jazus is that the finish line? Please let it be the finish line. It wasn't the finish line. 400m to go. 0.2 of a bleedin mile. Whyyyyy? I can't go on but I can't stop running now with all these people watching. Ow ow ow. I still can't see the finish line, just some blue stuff on the road. I must have done 400m by now. Can't feel me feet anymore. This is a good thing. Didn't like how they felt for the last 22 miles anyway. Why did I sign up for this? Because cancer.

Is that - can it be - it is the finish gantry. It's miiiles away. That's the finish line of the marathon you just ran. Choke up. Random kid reaches out his hand, I swerve to give him a high five, smile and wobble and nearly trip. Anxious medics look in my direction. Keep moving. Clock says 5:49.something. Mental arithmetic. That's 5.29 blue wave time. Gone 5.30 now. But I was a ways back from the start. I can still make 5.30 chip time. Nearly there. Left leg, right leg... That's the line. Dodge the girl who just stopped in front of me. No more blue stuff on the road. I ... did ... it! A marathon. Not sure if I can even walk over to collect my goody bag. I ran a marathon. Well, and jogged. And walked. I finished a marathon. All of it with my own two feet - who cares how they moved. I did a marathon.

Brilliant report ciaranmac! Loved it.

blockic wrote: »
    Just had a look at this plan.

Couple of observations..

1) I'd leave off week 2 session and replace with easy miles, better off with the extra week of easy miles from the marathon.

2)Do you reckon 2 sessions a week will be doable (i.e the tempo and the intervals)? It may be burnout, ok for a more experienced runner but maybe a bit of a jump for a novice.. You could alternate the weeks, interval one week and tempo the next on the thursday. On the tuesday run then just have an easy run with strides.

3) Recoveries look way too short on a number of the sessions, it's recommended that recovery should be 50-90% of each rep time.

4) 15x 400 is a bit intense. I'd recommend to progress something similar to this if you want to concentrate on reps:

Wk 3:6 x 800 @ 5km pace (to make the pace of the rest feel easier)
    Wk 4:5 x 1200 @ 10km pace
    Wk 5:4 x 1600 @ 10km pace
    Wk 6:2 x 2mile /1 x 1mile @ 10km pace
    Wk 7:3 x 2 mile @ 10km pace (key session,do this on tuesday if possible to give extra couple days rest. If you nail this, you will be looking good)

Could do with an extra couple of weeks for the plan, but what ya gonna do! ;)

Just some thoughts.

Thanks a million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hope the recovery is going well all. Seems like a lot of you are very active already which is great but keep it very easy for another 10 days or so.

While it's fresh in the head, if people have thoughts about how well (or not) the Boards plan worked for them this year it'd be really useful for next year's novices and mentor to hear your opinions. If you think there are things that should be amended/tweaked let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Its Saturday Morning...and no lsr! This is weird! Instead got out for my first run since Monday, 3.5 miles very very easy, legs were very tired at the start but eased up a bit & it was lovely to be out. Im itching to get stuck into a new running plan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Mimojo wrote: »
    Its Saturday Morning...and no lsr! This is weird! Instead got out for my first run since Monday, 3.5 miles very very easy, legs were very tired at the start but eased up a bit & it was lovely to be out. Im itching to get stuck into a new running plan!

I am so glad I'm not running this morning. Practically Gale force winds and miserable rain here in west cork! But in general I am really looking forward to getting back into it.

Cycled commute on Thursday and Friday, legs felt better with each journey. Went to the gym on Thursday evening for a "swim" - I faffed about for ten minutes just to loosen up a bit and went to the sauna and Jacuzzi to relax for a bit.

Think I'll do my first 3 miles tomorrow or Monday.

Advertisement