Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

adrian522 wrote: »
    Still haven't been out for a run, just been catching up on things like drinking beer and eating really unhealthy food.

I'm off on holidays tomorrow so it may be a while before any proper training gets done.

Hopefully there might be a few of us in the Phoenix Park for the Jungle Bells 5k though.
    You'll look funny dressed as Tarzan when everyone else is dressed as Santa ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Casey78 wrote: »
    You'll look funny dressed as Tarzan when everyone else is dressed as Santa ;)

I genuinely needed to read that about 7 or 8 times before I realised what you were on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭crisco10

It just struck me, I'll never be a DCM Novice again (I got 2 goes at it due to injury!)...:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Who/what would people recommend following for training logs or inspiration? I need a routine back. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

aquinn wrote: »
    Who/what would people recommend following for training logs or inspiration? I need a routine back. Thanks

I've just started following logs too. You have to start with ososlo...goes without saying! It's a genuinely good read, she's hardcore too...does a session with a stinking brandy hangover!! Does claralara still do a training log, I know that user name is a closed account. Raccoon queen should be good too. Any other females Ososlo?Then there are the usual suspect males that post on here. Even if they're borderline elite and way out of our league, their logs and race reports are great reading.
    Would love to hear any recommendations too.

• Advertisement

Our own Adrian logs too, don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Our own Adrian logs too, don't you?

There are LOADS of great logs to follow. I read them all from the Couch to 5k logs to the super fast sprinters to the guys doing 2:3xx marathons. You can learn something from them all imo.

Some great female logs are the above mentioned (Clara Lara doesn’t log anymore but I’d advise ANYONE to read it from the start as she started out pretty much like all of us!), Career Move, SamforMayo, Marthastew, DOCO12, amongst others.

I don’t know where to start with the male logs. Adrian of course and MaggotBrain from this year, martyboy48, AuldManKing, but the list is ENDLESS! There's something there for everyone!

Mine is at the slower end of the spectrum but I train just as hard as most people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Then there are the usual suspect males that post on here. Even if they're borderline elite and way out of our league

I'm good for one of those two. Nowhere near borderline elite but I've a gimpy enough gait to rival Keyser Soze!:D

I'm good for one of those two. Nowhere near borderline elite but I've a gimpy enough gait to rival Keyser Soze!:D

*following* :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

adrian522 wrote: »
    I genuinely needed to read that about 7 or 8 times before I realised what you were on about.

So did I! just got it... LMAO :pac::pac::pac:

I can picture it now....

Ososlo wrote: »

Very interesting, makes me feel a lot better about my own experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »
    Very interesting, makes me feel a lot better about my own experience!

Same here! Although I still feel 'why us' a,week later we had perfect marathon weather, murphys law eh

Hear hear to the above comments. I hadn't planned on another until 2016 but now I'm wondering if I can wait that long....I want a good marathon *stamp stamp*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭crisco10

makes for stark reading alright. Looking at the average paces, it does appear that the second quarter acceleration was a key theme. I don't know much about these things but I imagine that acceleration was probably what blew a lot of people up later.

Interesting that it's a similar number of DNFs to 2012 tho. So people still got to the end, but just had to grit it out even more. Suppose, most who have trained for a marathon will get to the line crawling if they have to. (some of the race reports on here were testament to that!)

a very selfish viewpoint, but all i could think of was that I was only 40 seconds off negative split which would have put me in a significant minority..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Bit more perspective :)

Dublin with 12500 ish runners had more DNFs this year than New York which had over 50,000 starters. DNF rate over 4 times higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blue Steel

Bit more perspective :)

Dublin with 12500 ish runners had more DNFs this year than New York which had over 50,000 starters. DNF rate over 4 times higher.

Hey PM,

Do you have the figures?

I estimated 2.5% ish DNF in Dublin but I couldn't find the figure again.

Blue Steel wrote: »
    Hey PM,

Do you have the figures?

I estimated 2.5% ish DNF in Dublin but I couldn't find the figure again.

On phone so won't work out the maths but Dublin had 12576 starters and 354 DNFs. New York had 50869 starters and 305 DNFs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

On phone so won't work out the maths but Dublin had 12576 starters and 354 DNFs. New York had 50869 starters and 305 DNFs.

Dublin - 2.81%

New York - 0.6%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Speaking of New York, check out the state of the dudes after the finishing line last Sunday....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

So only 552 runners ran negative splits? Is that correct? I didnt know what that was till a week ago so wouldnt have been running to achieve that, is it good to have run this with a sub 4hr time for 1st marathon? Trying to get a grip on the whole thing

Pm1e wrote: »
    So only 552 runners ran negative splits? Is that correct? I didnt know what that was till a week ago so wouldnt have been running to achieve that, is it good to have run this with a sub 4hr time for 1st marathon? Trying to get a grip on the whole thing

Negative split = v good
    Negative split under four hours = vvv good
    Negative split under four hours first marathon = go away we hate you

No seriously, that is excellent, especially considering the conditions on the day. Your marathon future is looking good :-) well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Negative split = v good
    Negative split under four hours = vvv good
    Negative split under four hours first marathon = go away we hate you

No seriously, that is excellent, especially considering the conditions on the day. Your marathon future is looking good :-) well done!

Still trying to get my head around all the lingo etc. Sometimes need super simplifying like you just did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hear hear to the above comments. I hadn't planned on another until 2016 but now I'm wondering if I can wait that long....I want a good marathon *stamp stamp*

+1 to that.
    I planned on a 4:00-4:15 'tick the box, bucket list complete for DCM', instead I got a 'Man Flu, 18 Degrees Fan Oven Weather,Blisters, First Aid Huts and crawling home in 4:48 DCM', despite a really good prepp in the build up.:mad:

Now I kind of have to explain to people 'ahh well....it was very warm and I had the flu as well story' ......I am happy that I had a 'Good Hustle' Marathon and finished my first Marathon ......but I too want a 'good marathon' dammit....now I have to do it all again.....roll on DCM 2015!!

Going for my first run tonight since the DCM, lashing rain but I don't care!! ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blue Steel

This article says 270 (sorry, I can't post links apparently):

<prepend with boards' url>/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92881686&postcount=6246

I don't mean to be pedantic. I am genuinely interested (I am one of the DNfs :( )

Blue Steel wrote: »
    This article says 270 (sorry, I can't post links apparently):

<prepend with boards' url>/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92881686&postcount=6246

I don't mean to be pedantic. I am genuinely interested (I am one of the DNfs :( )

The post ososlo linked to earlier in the thread had the figure I used.

Full results are here:

http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/race-results.php?event=1806

Edit - have asked the OP of the results there to clarify the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Signed up this morning for the jingle bells 5k. Really excited, I've heard such good things.

I did find out a few days ago that my work Christmas party is on the night before but oh well, I had already started looking forward to the race. It'll keep me in check and prevent the dreaded " fear" on Monday morning.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Signed up this morning for the jingle bells 5k. Really excited, I've heard such good things.

I did find out a few days ago that my work Christmas party is on the night before but oh well, I had already started looking forward to the race. It'll keep me in check and prevent the dreaded " fear" on Monday morning.

I did it severely hungover last year and came within one second of a PB, despite the indignity of being passed by people in woolly Christmas jumpers! It's a great atmosphere and nice downhill finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »
    I did it severely hungover last year and came within one second of a PB, despite the indignity of being passed by people in woolly Christmas jumpers! It's a great atmosphere and nice downhill finish.
    Does everyone dress up? Think ill sign up for it too :-)

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    Does everyone dress up? Think ill sign up for it too :-)

yeah it's a great race. I did it 2 years ago. No you don't have to dress up and I wouldn't if chasing a pb but feel free if you wish! Plenty of people don't.

Advertisement