Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

JohnDozer is going again in around 6 weeks, but we all think he's cracked! :pac:

Ha ha, what's worse is even JohnDozer thinks he is cracked! I'm thinking I won't be the only one down there wearing a DCM 14 finishers top though... Ye can all say 'I told you so' when it all goes Pete Tong anyway. Been scouting around the interweb today and it is doable, and the 5 week training plan is taking shape already. Sufficient recovery, easy miles and gradually increasing distance should get me there in good shape. As for right now, the pavements of Tralee are calling me out for a recovery run, followed by a few pints of Ireland's finest to replenish the iron levels... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Joleigh wrote: »
    Its hard to believe there is life after the marathon! Now that its over I am really looking to my Christmas nights out and not having to worry about drinking excessively...I can get locked!

I'm not a great swimmer either but the doggy paddle really helped my legs :)

I always wanted to run the connemarathon, but while running the Dublin one the thought crossed my mind that I might struggle more on the lonely roads of Connemara without cheering crowds. Is it really lonely does anyone know?

I did the half at Connemara this year. The half there is very tough and the second half of the marathon course is the half course, so no matter what you have the Hell of the West Hill (at 22 miles in the marathon and at about 9 in the half). This year the wind was pretty bad and Connemara has its own unique weather climate! It was my first half and it wasn't too bad as I paced myself well. The hill was tough no doubt but I had done similar hills in training. You need to prepare well for it, otherwise it would be a sufferfest. Very little support in comparison to a city marathon. It is also very expensive for the half at around 70 eur.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

Hi all and well done . Some fab reports.
    I did not manage to achieve either of my goals but if I had listened to AMK I would have known they were not realistic.
    I had the most amazing day fun and laughter up until mile 16 and then the negativity crept in. Legs were very tired but I pushed on. Passed a poor guy carrying his runners, I had a blister plaster so I passed it over and as I ran on he shouted I LOVE YOU. Hope it got him to the finish.
    The last six miles were as hard if not harder than the first twenty.
    I crossed the finish line at 5.28 .50 holding my sisters hand.
    Very proud that I ran every inch of the race.
    Enjoyed meeting some of you in the pub for well deserved drinks.
    I said never again but now the legs are grand and the memories of the pain are fading..... maybe!!!

Thanks Ososlo from a well chuffed FEMALE.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's funny how quickly the pain fades from the memory and you feel ready to go again, during the last 3 or 4 miles I was thinking "Feck this, never again" By the time I'd gotten through my first beer I was thinking "that wasn't too bad actually, I'll give that a lash again"

Now eagerly looking forward to setting some medium and long term goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Ha ha, what's worse is even JohnDozer thinks he is cracked! I'm thinking I won't be the only one down there wearing a DCM 14 finishers top though... Ye can all say 'I told you so' when it all goes Pete Tong anyway. Been scouting around the interweb today and it is doable, and the 5 week training plan is taking shape already. Sufficient recovery, easy miles and gradually increasing distance should get me there in good shape. As for right now, the pavements of Tralee are calling me out for a recovery run, followed by a few pints of Ireland's finest to replenish the iron levels... :-)

All the best with it, just don't go chasing something that mightn't be there so soon after the DCM. Do you still be running around Limerick, still on the lookout for boardsies around here (or listening for secret coughs ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

All the best with it, just don't go chasing something that mightn't be there so soon after the DCM. Do you still be running around Limerick, still on the lookout for boardsies around here (or listening for secret coughs :) ).

I hear you, I'll try and keep the common sense radar active. I sure do, mainly short runs at lunchtime-ish. Around on Mondays and Wednesday evenings as well and generally try and get a decent run in on the Wednesday after work. Monday's can be tight time wise cause I have a commitment to a weekly squash game later in the evening. Drop a pm if any of that suits you over the next while.

Did you ever go further with joining a club? That's always in the back of my mind to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

No club plans as of yet. Just don't have the time to be honest, will keep plugging away here and see how I fare for the time being. A graduate thread would be a great one for us to start in a few weeks time, just to keep ourselves on our toes.

Once I'm back to normal running at lunchtimes I'll give you a shout. Good luck with the log too, following with interest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I reckon we should stick around this thread until someone boots us out, forcibly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Nicsx wrote: »
    I met my other pal in the 4:30 group, ran with her for a while, discovered I knew one of the pacers through the kids, had a chat with him for a while & then pressed on cos I was feeling good & the lure of the 4:20 was still calling.

Hey Nicsx - you did great and looked very comfy throughout, while many were dying a death in the last 6.
    Congrats on a fantastic first marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Hi all and well done . Some fab reports.
    I did not manage to achieve either of my goals but if I had listened to AMK I would have known they were not realistic.
    I had the most amazing day fun and laughter up until mile 16 and then the negativity crept in. Legs were very tired but I pushed on. Passed a poor guy carrying his runners, I had a blister plaster so I passed it over and as I ran on he shouted I LOVE YOU. Hope it got him to the finish.
    The last six miles were as hard if not harder than the first twenty.
    I crossed the finish line at 5.28 .50 holding my sisters hand.
    Very proud that I ran every inch of the race.
    Enjoyed meeting some of you in the pub for well deserved drinks.
    I said never again but now the legs are grand and the memories of the pain are fading..... maybe!!!

Thanks Ososlo from a well chuffed FEMALE.

Delighted you got to cross the line with your sis! Well done.

While I was running I was thinking, I'll have to get pregnant soon so I wont have to run this again next year! But now I'm thinking I'll just do the marathon :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

At about mile 22 I was burning my runners forever, now I'm positive ill go again but thinking 2016 to build up my base & do all the things I didn't do right this time around!

Ps well done sound of the sea, delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Madness has definitely set in, just signed up for the Berlin Marathon lottery (open til Sunday FYI) ☺

MLC_biker wrote: »
    Madness has definitely set in, just signed up for the Berlin Marathon lottery (open til Sunday FYI) ☺

Same, did that on Tuessday even though I'd prefer to do Chicago. Ill see if my name comes up first but would be hard to do Berlin and Dublin I think. (i know yaboya et al) but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Firedance wrote: »
    :D:D:D

when can we run again? i'm getting itchy feet, my legs are not up for it yet obviously but I'd like a day/date/time when I get put on my runners and go! and can people stop talking about doing a half in a few weeks or I'll end up signing up for one!!!
    MLC_biker wrote: »
    thinking about a Parkrun Saturday, both Malahide and St Annes are 2 x 2.5k loops so if it all goes horribly wrong I can stop early and get to Avoca/Farmers Market for comfort :)
    I was gonna wait till Monday to give it a full week. My local park is starting park run this sat (before this I would have had to drive half an hour to one) and I'm raging I cant start on the first day of it. Or can I?

I did a slow 5k earlier. There's a running track near where we're staying and a mile there, couple of laps and mile back was nice. Felt quite tired but strong during it and now feel a million times better than I did beforehand.

If you're tired rather than injured I think a gentle stretch of the legs won't do you any harm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

adrian522 wrote: »
    It's funny how quickly the pain fades from the memory and you feel ready to go again, during the last 3 or 4 miles I was thinking "Feck this, never again" By the time I'd gotten through my first beer I was thinking "that wasn't too bad actually, I'll give that a lash again"

Now eagerly looking forward to setting some medium and long term goals.
    Now you have an idea of what labour is like!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

Delighted you got to cross the line with your sis! Well done.

While I was running I was thinking, I'll have to get pregnant soon so I wont have to run this again next year! But now I'm thinking I'll just do the marathon :)

Deep thoughts there, the most I could think about was alcohol!!
    Remember a baby is for life, you can't give up at mile 16.
    But if you do decide we're not giving pacing advice.

SamforMayo wrote: »

Only you can quit a marathon. You can't quit labour!

My quads are still healing. Going down the stairs is still difficult, holding onto the banisters to take the weight. I went for a bit of a swim earlier and then into the sauna for 10 mins to get the blood flowing. I might do a walk tomorrow to ease back in.

SamforMayo wrote: »

LOL, that wasn't really what I was aiming for but yeah, good point, well made.

I went for a walk this evening. BORING!!!

• Advertisement

I went for a walk this evening. BORING!!!

The Clonakilty mara. Talk to joe...i mean john dozer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Once you're all aware that neither are as bad as man-flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Indeed, and you have time to sleep and recover after the marathon:P
    adrian522 wrote: »
    LOL, that wasn't really what I was aiming for but yeah, good point, well made.
    Its amazing how quickly the body forgets pain. Glad you are recovering well:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Next baby born to any 2014 novice has to be named Ososlo

Regardless of gender!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

carmendub wrote: »
    I've been debating whether to get back on the bike too coz hate the bus!Think one more bus day then back on the,bike!I've had little or no appetite since the race,feel like I'm forcing myself to eat!!

Im back cycling to work from yesterday and find it actually loosens out the legs a bit. Just don't expect any Strava trophies for a week or so!!

I took a couple of days off everything marathon related, including Boards and can't believe the amount of catch up reading I have to do!

Really enjoying the race reports and various stories of the day. It seems most people (not just from here but people I've spoken to) no matter what level their at struggled to hit their goal on Monday which I have to say makes me feel slightly better about missing mine. I also think a huge congratulations is in order for the people who hit and indeed beat their target times.

As for my race, I went out with the 3.40 pacers and felt very comfortable up to the 33km point when I felt my pace slow a bit from 5.12/km to 5.30 (I tried my best to talk in miles during the build up but I can't keep up that nonsense anymore). I wasn't too concerned as I still felt quite good and my pacers were still in sight, I felt I could wait out this bad patch and make up the ground from Fosters ave. How wrong I was!

From Milltown to Robuck Hill was a bit of a blur in that I didn't really know where I was. Weird when you consider I live in the area. I still managed to keep my 5.30ish pace up till the N11 then the wheels fell off! Never experienced that before. Between slow jogging and walking I averaged 7.20/km to the 800m to go sign. Another thing I've never experienced is a crowd as supportive as the DCM spectators. I managed to draw some strength from the crowd to put in one last burst to the finish. Came in in 3.51.37.

Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and I'll deffo be back although I'm not sure about DCM 2015 as we found out half way through training that my wife is pregnant with our first!!!

One thing I was thinking of doing but this could just be post marathon madness, is doing another marathon or 2 but going for a soft target to gain some experience of the distance. Would there be any benefit to doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

check this article out. So who is up for ultras!?

(interesting how she talks about re-assessing her goals in the heat at the end of the article. We were discussing this a couple of days ago)

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ireland-orna-dilworth-world-50k-1753703-Oct2014/?utm_source=email

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

blockic wrote: »
    I'd see no issue doing the Waterford half. Great race and it is sufficient recovery time from the marathon.

Thanks Blockic, Just what I wanted to hear! any advice on what kind of training plan I should follow for this seeing as its just 5 weeks away?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

I think I'd have a divorce on my hands if I even breathed the word ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ice9 wrote: »

(interesting how she talks about re-assessing her goals in the heat at the end of the article. We were discussing this a couple of days ago)

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ireland-orna-dilworth-world-50k-1753703-Oct2014/?utm_source=email

That's claralara
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056134487
    go read her training log everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ice9 wrote: »

I paced her to her first sub 2 HM 3 years ago and I think it was her 3rd or 4th go at it.

You can check out her progress tomorrow on the events forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057317399

Advertisement