Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next target races?

Options
  • 31-10-2014 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

Now that everyone is getting over the marathon (:confused:what do you mean some people didn't run it?:confused:), it's time to start thinking of new targets. What does everyone have in mind?
    What training plans will you be following?

I'm ruling out marathons and even half marathons next year. All shorter stuff. The focus will be on 5ks, but I might do some 8s or 15s in the graded meets, and maybe extend up to 10k. Some cross country in the mix too, especially next autumn.
    Training will be
    Tuesday - club session, which is targeted at shorter stuff in the next few months anyway
    Wednesday - longish run
    Saturday - ???
    Sunday - longish run
    everything else easy, will try to gradually increase overall mileage through the year

Saturdays will be another session, need to think some more on that. Will probably be a lot of races in there, even if only parkruns.

then 2016 two marathons again probably, London if I can, maybe Paris/Seville/Barcelona as alternatives, most likely Dublin again in the autumn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

Gonna bust a gut in 2015 to do a sub 4-hour marathon so booking Longford and DCM15 marathons. Bought the P&D book so think I'll graduate from HH and pick a plan from that - and aim for 3:50 pace for racing. Going to do the Clontarf Half in November and pick 2 more halves in 2015 - probably spring and summer -P&D seem strong on the idea of using that kind of distance partly for physiological, partly psychological reasons. Might do the Donore Harriers Jingle Bells 5M too - never raced that distance but having a race in the near future helps focus my mind on training and diet!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well, I plan to run the jingle bells 5K in December.

For next year I'm thinking in terms of shorter races for the first half of the year and another crack at the Marathon distance in the Autumn.

I'll certainly do the 10K out in the K-Club, that's a good race. I've entered the ballot for Berlin so I'll see if my number comes up in that.

Some other races around that too, probably target a Half somewhere around the start of summer before jumping into another Marathon cycle.

That's the basis of a plan at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I'm going to go to the dark side and cycle some European hills

(Will this get me banned?)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

saucyjack wrote: »
    Gonna bust a gut in 2015 to do a sub 4-hour marathon so booking Longford and DCM15 marathons.

aren't they a bit close to target both?
    chinguetti wrote: »
    (Will this get me banned?)

if there is any justice, yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Run The Line in a few weeks and then back to the serious business of training for Donadea. Plan I guess will be a modified/shortened marathon plan with back-to-back LSRs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Well, you asked ...

my next goal race is the combined European/World 24hrs championship in April :)

I really, really, really never thought I would ever be able to say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

RayCun wrote: »
    aren't they a bit close to target both?

if there is any justice, yes!

I suspect you're right...as I think this through I need to balance giving myself a decent chance of getting my target and not training myself into the ground. I'll think on....thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I'd like to do a race. Pretty much any race will do*. I never imagined that 4 years after running Dublin for the first time I wouldn't have been back.

*I have to have been able to train for it though. Just rocking up with no training doesn't count

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've been slacking in October because tri season is over :pac:

Next planned goal race is a half in March, still trying to decide between Reading half and the new North London half (Barnet Copthall to Wembley and back). Giving some consideration to doing Limerick half in early May too, I may or may not have challenged my OH's sisters to do it after a few drinks...

I'll probably try and squeeze in a few shorter races over the winter too. We'll see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

HM in Waterford in December, a 5k (parkrun probably) before the year is out. Want to try to PB in these off the marathon fitness. Next year I'd like to concentrate on the shorter stuff too, with a view to taking that into Boston 2016, if I make the ballot, and try to do well there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

I didnt do Dublin so im probably not allowed in this thread! Ive signed up for the Waterford Half and will certainly do a parkrun or two over the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

I have London Marathon lined up for April with my uncle. Already cannot wait for it, doing Ironman Austria in June and after my first marathon on Monday, I am definitely doing Dublin again in October. I think on the long distance front the 3 of those will be enough for me, I will add some shorter stuff in around that. Too early to start thinking about times etc. and also may look to join a running club. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Murph_D wrote: »
    HM in Waterford in December, a 5k (parkrun probably) before the year is out. Want to try to PB in these off the marathon fitness.

Pretty much the same, planning on Waterford half and a Parkrun in 4 weeks to try and get under 20 mins for the 5k.
    Next year it'll be back to DCM to break my 4 hr (mental?) barrier, a couple of HMs (Clonmel or Tullamore plus race series HM) and might do Athlone 3/4 as a training run.

However have to get my core strength sorted to get rid of the niggles/injuries before any of this happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

No DCM for me either but I am in for the Waterford half and will run a couple of parkruns over the next 2 months too

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Anyone in the Clare/Midwest might be interested. 4 races for 50€, 5k to 10 mile nicely spaced out over a few months. I can recommend the Kilnaboy 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

10 km on Dec 7 th. Run at least one park run between now and x mas. Would like to sign up for a HM for around March but can't see anything in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

SamforMayo wrote: »
    10 km on Dec 7 th. Run at least one park run between now and x mas. Would like to sign up for a HM for around March but can't see anything in the West.

I presume Tralee is too far south? St Patrick's weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

First off- great to see a constructive running thread around here;)

Thinking of taking a leaf out of your book Ray. Ultimately I really want a sub 3 marathon but I think focusing on shorter distance up to half mara for a year might be a good call. Never trained specifically for anything other than marathon distance and above. Think its time to change things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Im entered for Donadea, so that will keep me honest over the winter - but beyond that I really dont know, waiting for someone to suggest something tempting here or on club list and I will steal that idea :)

Really need to sort my swimming and get a couple of Tri's done, so part of me thinks I should spend millions to enter a 70.3 late next summer and that will focus my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

No primary target made out yet, other than having fun.
    That includes hopefully
    • Run the Line
    • Tommy Walsh memorial 10k in Caherconlish in January, as close to 40 mins as possible
    • Donadea 50k
    • Wicklow Way Ultra
    • Labane 10k breaking 40 mins
    • Galway 5k series breaking 20 mins
    Running the shorter distance races (up to half marathon) barefoot, with the goal of upping my barefoot distance to run a marathon eventually.

Then Tri season starts and hope to do a few half-distance races, one of which I've set my eye on for 3 years: Indeland Triathlon right at the door step of my folks. I'll work everything else around that.

• Advertisement

Im entered for Donadea, so that will keep me honest over the winter - but beyond that I really dont know, waiting for someone to suggest something tempting here or on club list and I will steal that idea :)

Really need to sort my swimming and get a couple of Tri's done, so part of me thinks I should spend millions to enter a 70.3 late next summer and that will focus my mind.

why not save the millions and do one of the Irish middle distance events? I am going for TriAthy in May (a nice run up to Austria) and last August I did Ireman in Bangor. All very reasonable compare to the official 70.3 events.:)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pm1e wrote: »
    why not save the millions and do one of the Irish middle distance events? I am going for TriAthy in May (a nice run up to Austria) and last August I did Ireman in Bangor. All very reasonable compare to the official 70.3 events.:)

I'm planning for my first middle-distance next summer, but I need late season because of my wedding and honeymoon. Challenge Weymouth half in September is looking like the most likely candidate, with Midnightman in August as the contingency option because it's only about 45 minutes drive from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

For me there will be 5ks, 10ks and 2 half marathons(bohermeen and Athlone)

Training Plan for next year will be based around the club.

Monday 10 miles to work
    Tuesday Club
    Wednesday 10k recovery with strides to work
    Thursday Club tempo
    Friday 7k Recovery
    Sat 10k starting off but hopefully push to 15 miles later on.

No marathons, retired from them.

I'm planning for my first middle-distance next summer, but I need late season because of my wedding and honeymoon. Challenge Weymouth half in September is looking like the most likely candidate, with Midnightman in August as the contingency option because it's only about 45 minutes drive from us.

Both look like solid events, and plenty of prep time, good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Going for 4 5K's between December and February.
    Entered for Boston but unlikely I will race it.
    No real interest in knocking anything off my PB unless I can have a realistic shot @ sub 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Clontarf HM at the end of November, then (probably) nothing at all until after Christmas.
    A few planned HMs in the first half of 2015 (Carlingford, Connemara, Inishbofin) with some shorter races (e.g. Raheny 5) and parkruns thrown into the mix.
    After that, I'll have a think about whether I want to push for DCM '15 or some other (Irish) marathon. I think some interval and hill training, and higher mileage, will be needed in order to improve on my 4:18 in Paris this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

After Monday, the next goal race is London in April. Will try to focus on short stuff between now and Christmas, some parkruns, a 10k and a half (any recommendations for a December half?), then kick on with marathon training from January.

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    After Monday, the next goal race is London in April. Will try to focus on short stuff between now and Christmas, some parkruns, a 10k and a half (any recommendations for a December half?), then kick on with marathon training from January.

Are you registered for London?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Bundoran 10 mile in March if i'm able to run by then!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Main short-term target is national novice. I don't expect to do well but would like to at least give a decent account of myself. I haven't run well in the two years I've run in it but it's one of the few races where you can not run well and still enjoy the experience! It starts off at a manic pace and, unless you're in the top 5 or bottom 5, you're going to spend the race overtaking and being overtaken for the entire duration.

After that, it's the indoor season. I haven't been doing anything quick but I hope to run at least one pb over the course of the short season - 400 and 1500 are probably slightly more likely than 800. I've never run indoors before, so the pbs might not come if it turns out I'm not suited to it.

Might also do the national masters xc in the new year as I've never done it and it looks pretty immense.

Advertisement