Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭crisco10

Joleigh wrote: »
    How do people know how many places they gained at certain points?

I've already seen one video of someone near my finish time who obviously paid for it. Never realised how many people were around me at the finish line. it was so busy!

Have you got a link to the video site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Belgo wrote: »
    Hi folks, like others I was much more of a lurker rather than an active participant on this thread, but I would like to greatly thank everyone who was on hand to dispense the wisdom of their experience - as a first time marathon runner, it helped me enormously with my preparations. In the end I exceeded my ambitious hope of 3:30 and was over the moon to manage a 3:27 finish. More than the time though, I will take away the memories of the incredible support everywhere, the kids looking for a high-five, the families with jellies and sweets, the street parties and that 10am BBQ!! That said, my particular favourite was looking up at the local wag in Castleknock with his sign "congratulations, you're the slowest runner...so far" :D

As the pain slowly begins to dissipate from my limbs, and the euphoria which stuck with me all through Monday and Tuesday also begins to disappear, I've been struck by a numb and empty feeling - I was just wondering if this is common to any other novices? I've really noticed today that I've been feeling down - something which provided me with a focus and which seized me with such excitement and nervousness in the weeks beforehand has now gone, and I feel at somewhat of a loss... Traditionally I'd been a keen GAA and soccer player, but having completed my first marathon, I'm really hungry to take running a lot more seriously! But at the same time I'm frustrated that it'll be months before I'll have another big event to focus on!

Sorry if this is somewhat of a stream of consciousness, but until I meet the two friends I ran the DCM with tomorrow, I feel like I'm going a bit crazy and that nobody else outside the first-time marathon community will understand! :)

You have echoed all of my feelings, and I look forward to hearing the response you get. Last night I noticed I was filling my calendar with some seriously unimportant stuff, trying to fill the void I guess. haha

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, I know exactly how you feel, bit of a let down not having the Marathon to look forward too. A bit like going back to work after the Christmas Holidays !

It may be worth picking a race to target in the next few months. I'm thinking of the jingle Bells 5k on December 6th as my first post marathon race.

This is the first time since March that I'm not registered for an upcoming race!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah, I know exactly how you feel, bit of a let down not having the Marathon to look forward too. A bit like going back to work after the Christmas Holidays !

It may be worth picking a race to target in the next few months. I'm thinking of the jingle Bells 5k on December 6th as my first post marathon race.

This is the first time since March that I'm not registered for an upcoming race!

We have an intern at work who is not Irish and mad to do the Run in the Dark event in two weeks so in a moment of post marathon despair I signed up with her. Sure what else will I be doing. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

2 weeks might be a bit soon for me. I'd certainly be running that at an easy pace if I was you.

• Advertisement

2 weeks might be a bit soon for me. I'd certainly be running that at an easy pace if I was you.

Yeah thought as much, I told her I'd wait till next week to see how the body is responding and if it wasn't feeling good I'd skip it, entries open till next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Post marathon void is a common feeling. Have a look at a goal race in the future, even just a fun run.

I know RayCun will be here soon touting the benefits of joining a club and he's right, they provide lots of support, structure and most of all, experience. Most clubs would be happy to have you along for a few sessions to see how things work.

Post marathon void is a common feeling. Have a look at a goal race in the future, even just a fun run.

I know RayCun will be here soon touting the benefits of joining a club and he's right, they provide lots of support, structure and most of all, experience. Most clubs would be happy to have you along for a few sessions to see how things work.

Question; what sort of commitment would be needed to join a club? and what's more what is the standard like? being a modest enough runner, I'd be afraid others would leg it off or I'd hold em back...

Yeah I'll probably look to join up somewhere once I'm ready to start running again.

In other news I really need to find something else to pin up on my desk. Been staring at these for the best part of 4 months.

crisco10 wrote: »
    Question; what sort of commitment would be needed to join a club? and what's more what is the standard like? being a modest enough runner, I'd be afraid others would leg it off or I'd hold em back...

I'm sure most clubs would have a big enough range of abilities and standards. Where are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

No commitment needed, you get whatever that you want out of a club.

The great thing about the vast majority of running clubs is the diversification among their ranks. You'll find plenty of members that are of the exact same ability as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Have you got a link to the video site?

When you look up your results on the marathon results page, a little video camera pops up beside your name. If you look at your place over all, then search other peoples results who came in either side of you, you might find one of their video's unlocked.

I'm sure most clubs would have a big enough range of abilities and standards. Where are you based?

Clonskeagh/Ranelagh. Actually, right at the 20.5 mile point on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

My legs aren't as sore today...think it's being back in work and moving and shuffling around. Yesterday my quads and thighs were in a heap, could barely get off the couch. Today things are tight and sore but movement is a bit easier.

Annapr - your report reads very similar to my experience, interesting to see. Also had said never again in the post completion haze but now....Hmmm I'm rethinking that rash statement.

Clonskeagh/Ranelagh. Actually, right at the 20.5 mile point on Monday.

Close enough to me so. There's plenty of running clubs close enough to you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    My legs aren't as sore today...think it's being back in work and moving and shuffling around. Yesterday my quads and thighs were in a heap, could barely get off the couch. Today things are tight and sore but movement is a bit easier.

Annapr - your report reads very similar to my experience, interesting to see. Also had said never again in the post completion haze but now....Hmmm I'm rethinking that rash statement.

Woo Hoo!!!! KNEW IT:D
    Glad to see you're recovering well:)

Any club in Dublin would be over the moon to have you. They'd be pulling you inside the door of the club to get you to join with the kind of times you're running.
    Same goes for any runner of any ability on here due to the commitment which you've all shown in training for a marathon.
    Seriously crisco you should go for it once you're recovered. If you can do all you've done completely on your own, imagine what you could do with some guidance!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

hi all. just wanted to pitch in a bit with some advice I've picked up and experienced myself. The empty feeling is completely normal. You've all put so much focus into this and now that it's over it's a very real void.

This is bad - but wait it's also great news. If it's a void it means you enjoyed the process and you maybe even enjoyed the event itself (?! it was misery though right !?) but certainly you enjoyed the feeling of finishing and relishing the celebrations. So you probably want to do something like this again. It might be a marathon or it might now be some other goal like getting ripped in the gym or doing a faster 5K or doing a duathlon or triathlon. Whatever - it doesn't matter. Give yourself a week or so to think about the possibilities, hone in on what you feel like accomplishing next and then start planning to get after it.

As far as running goes you really shouldn't "race" for about 3 weeks from a marathon. (you can run but at a controlled pace). If by then you feel strong here is some good news - You are fittest you can be as far as your training for this marathon is concerned about 3 weeks after finishing the race. So get out there and get a PB on a 5K or 10K or a half ! (as long as you are not injured).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

:D

Clubs are for people who enjoy running, not necessarily people who are brilliant at running. Most clubs will have a good mix of standards, and anyone who has completed a marathon won't be starting at the bottom.

A club's regular training sessions will motivate you to get out the door, training in a group will make it easier for you to do the hard sessions, and you get great support at races from your clubmates.

And if you're very lucky, and live in the right area, you might even get to join Brothers Pearse! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Anyone know if foam rolling is a good or bad idea? Calf spasms and quads are driving me mad.

Anyone know if foam rolling is a good or bad idea? Calf spasms and quads are driving me mad.

Yes I think a little light rolling would be good. Don't overdo it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Well, here goes- my 1st ever race report. Sorry it's so long!

I headed in to town on the Luas with 2 pals leaving husband & offspring in their beds with firm instructions not to forget supplies for us & which runner would require which gel flavour (and a small bottle of electrolyte drink for me and a massive tupperware of jelly babies & beans for every other runner) as we weren't running together. We arrived at the bag drop area with loads of time and looked for the portaloo with the shortest queue. A very helpful volunteer advised us to head for our start & that the queues would be much shorter there. They weren't!!!! My 2 pals went off to find their pacing groups & I remained in the queue. By the time I crossed the start line I think the clock was showing 2:25! No need to panic I thought, I have my Plan A (4:20) & Plan B (4:30) pace bands, a fully charged Garmin, a new friend I had met in the queue who was also hoping for 4:20 & we decided to join forces. I had read enough on here to know not to head out too fast so off we trotted around the walkers, fancy dressers and past the 5hr & 4:50 groups where I met 1 of my pals, had a brief chat & off we trotted again.

The first mile was slow with all the weaving but I thought 4:20 could still be on if I took it easy & kept the head. I couldn't get over the crowds & the amount of runners, I was enjoying myself despite my panicky start- running past Christchurch & Dublin Castle- the city looked beautiful. The smell of the hops outside Guinness was not particularly pleasantly aromatic but before I knew it we were in the Park and being blown sideways. At this stage I could see the 4:30 pacers, my splits were ok, maybe a little down but as I was running up along Chesterfield Ave I wasn't worried as I felt I could wreck myself along that drag & pay for it later. My new friend & I parted company as I pressed on to try & catch the 4:30 pacers. I crossed the 10K line in 1:01:57 position 8220.

I met my other pal in the 4:30 group, ran with her for a while, discovered I knew one of the pacers through the kids, had a chat with him for a while & then pressed on cos I was feeling good & the lure of the 4:20 was still calling. :cool: The support around Chapelizod, Inchicore & the fancy dress house in Kilmainham were awesome. Even the gels were going down ok at miles 6 & 12, along with jelly beans I was carrying in my amazing 5 pocketed shorts. Things were going well. I crossed the halfway point in 2:10:42 position 9365. A small bit behind target but okish.

The thing about large pace groups is that you can take shelter within them. I found Crumlin Road very windy as I was still trying to pass people. I knew from the splits that all those extra 10secs per mile were beginning to add up and that Plan A was gone but I was determined not to lose sight of Plan B. At this stage I had figured out that seeing as I had started at least 2minutes behind the 4:30 pacers I had a bit of wriggle room. The sun had come out by now & I was enviously coveting other runners sleeveless attire but we were heading towards Terenure & this was where my family were so head down & keep going. The support along by Bushy Park was amazing- I saw so many people I recognised from the school run etc - for me it was a big high point even though I was beginning to struggle at this stage. I could hear the whistle from the 4:30 pacers getting louder which I knew wasn't a good sign so after some encouragement from my husband, the 3 beauties & my friends off I went to try & catch my friend from the loo queue who had just passed me. 30K split 3:07:45 position 8616.

Clonskeagh Road was tricky, hot & slow. I found myself taking 2 walk breaks but it was hard to start again so I decided I may as well keep on shuffling. Here, my friend from the loo queue pressed on. I nipped in to a portaloo just past Bird Ave thinking a little sit down would be nice & when I came out the 4:30 pacers had just passed!!!! :eek::eek::eek: From here on it was damage limitation. I knew my brother would be at UCD with another electrolyte drink for me so that took all my focus. Whether it was the drink, the sight of the pacers disappearing or the post from Marlay Parkrun facebook saying that there would be a Parkrun from UCD flyover to Merrion Square with a bit of a warm up beforehand, something changed & thankfully I managed to get out of 1st gear & into 2nd. Along Merrion Road I started picking off targets & from Ballsbridge to the finish, the sheer noise of the supporters seemed to carry me home. On the final stretch I knew I was within Plan B range & was legging it when I remembered something I had read here, to savour your first marathon so I slowed down a bit, began to look around at the throngs of people lining the home straight & smiled..... a lot. I crossed the line with my arms held high, thrilled with myself. 4:27:04 position 7550

Yes, it was tough but it was totally worth it. The legs today aren't too bad at all - thank goodness 'cos I had to leg it after my childminder today as she drove off without her bag & phone! 200m sprint isn't my idea of a recovery run! Will I do another one? well, I wouldn't rule it out.

Finally, I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone here, from Ososlo & her excellent team of advisors to my fellow novices/graduates. I may not have been the most prolific poster but I was always an avid reader & found the fact that there were a group of people doing the same training, asking the same questions & having the same pace or whatever doubts very comforting.

We did it!!! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Being so amazing is exhausting. I'm wrecked.
    Two bad nights sleep so please let this be one. Keep waking up to an ache, moving the hot water bottle and trying to get back asleep. Woke in superb form this morning and with all my gushing and best wishes over the day I wore myself out, it was a hard afternoon!
    Thankfully I've no welts or body woes post race, all toenails are still in place. Body feels fine moving but thighs would be the sore part so banisters very handy this week for downstairs. Eating more post-race then in the run up to it. Tomorrow is a new day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bungalow

ice9 wrote: »
    hands up the lucky beggars that live in bungalows!?

I don't even have a downstairs loo :-(

I love my bungalow!!!! I'm worse today than yesterday. Found it very tough day. I started out with two girls who I've never ran with and one of them wanted to walk at ten mile. I should have kept going on my own but I stopped and walked awhile and from then on it was walk a mile run a couple. I think I would have done better on my own. lesson learnt and delighted I'm finished. Looking forward to the next one.

aquinn wrote: »
    Being so amazing is exhausting. I'm wrecked.
    Two bad nights sleep so please let this be one. Keep waking up to an ache, moving the hot water bottle and trying to get back asleep. Woke in superb form this morning and with all my gushing and best wishes over the day I wore myself out, it was a hard afternoon!
    Thankfully I've no welts or body woes post race, all toenails are still in place. Body feels fine moving but thighs would be the sore part so banisters very handy this week for downstairs. Eating more post-race then in the run up to it. Tomorrow is a new day.

ha ha, you're hilarious. I LOVED your reaction when I asked you how the day went for you when I met you after in the pub. You were walking on air you were so happy :) Super!
    Third night.... so you'll sleep like a baby tonight:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Dublin Marathon 2014

Weekend Build up

I had managed to somehow get myself to the race weekend, all be it well short of anything like full marathon fitness. I collected my number on the Saturday Morning and then had a full days work until 10pm that night.
    I was told that Saturday night was the key nights sleep ahead of the Marathon as you can never sleep the night before due to nerves.
    Sunday was long and dull just waiting for the day to pass and sure enough I only managed a few hours sleep despite going to bed at 9pm!

Next morning I was up at 5.40am, had two buttered toast along with two bananas giving me plenty of time to go through my now usual pre race toilet routine.
    My Taxi was booked for 7.40 which gave me 20 mins to fly through the empty Bank Holiday Monday streets to near the start where I was due to meet Yaboya and Calvin Johnson for a pre race get together to wish each other luck on what were very different goals.
    I managed to text the boys to let them know of my cab issues and wished them luck ahead of some meaty targets ahead of them, they didn't need the extra stress of waiting around for me even if I was eventually their by 8.20.

7.40 came and went as did more precious mins until I ended up hailing a cab down at 8.05 with stress levels increasing all of the time - just what you need before a race! My cab finally showed up a full 50 mins late at 8.30 and called asking where I was, thank goodness I managed to get another cab!

I was well wrapped up in my race gear with gloves, frank duffy hat, jogging bottoms and hoody unaware that it was a warm morning in my own zone just trying to keep everything warm.
    Hat and gloves came off and were left with my change of clothes at the baggage area.
    As others have mentioned the lady at the baggage area mugged us right off saying loads of toilets were awaiting at the start area, I ended up going behind a van, luckily only needing a number one!
    Jogging bottoms and hoody then came off as I went to line up.

The Plan

I had been toying with many ideas of how to set off, maybe just setting off at the back as I did in the last two races and seeing how I felt as the race progressed.
    I also had a crackpot idea that my exercises in the past two months had meant my hamstrings gave me a much longer running stride now so should set off with longer strides meaning I may find myself with the 4:40 pacers until my fitness showed its ugly head!
    In the end I decided to go with the 5:00 pacers as this would give me more protection against the wind. I had a 5:00 pacing band to assist should I lose sight of them at any stage

The Race

I found my way to next to one of the five hour pacers before the start and had a chat and established that he was not on the boards, for small chat I also asked about pacing up and down hills and was assured it would be a even pace. Not ever followed a pacer before, I was intrigued to see how this would go.

Mile 1-7
    The Race began at last with me deciding to line up to the right side of the road as that seemed to be the shortest route over the first few miles. We set off, with the pacers on the opposite side of the road before our run turned to a walk as we made the first turn. We soon got going into a nice steady pace again. Worrying I broke sweat within the first mile, maybe it was the sight of me being level with the 4:50 pacers already?
    At the 3 mile mark I looked at my wrist band and noticed that I was already two mins ahead of the 5:00 pace and had a crafty look over my shoulder as we went over the liffey with the 4:50 and 5:00 groups behind me.
    Having read Tungaska's write up of the Course and also discussing my plan on the Novice thread, i had it in my head to walk up the hills so once in PP decided to walk up the steepest part and have a gel which would give the pacers a chance to catch up and hopefully give me a chance to cover up against the wind.
    I got going again, and about half way up PP, the 4:50 pace group finally went past which made me happy as it meant the 5 hour group were getting closer. I decided to let them go rather than use them as cover as I really wanted to with the five hour group. On the way past me, two ladies from the group made comment of my boards name on the lower back of my shirt, it sounded like they were boards members, but failed to say hi. Maybe not my biggest fans!
    10k marker 01:09:27

Mile 7-16
    I was still hoping the 5 hour group would catch so again walked up the hill after Castleknock, then took my second gel coming up the hill again walking coming back into PP.
    I then again started running and finally after about 8 miles was in the 5:00 group. My legs were not how expected so after staying with them until the tunnel I backed off again and walk up the hill.
    I was then a few hundred meters behind for a few miles before another hill had my mind telling me to walk once more. I met Ciarenmac somewhere around this point but sadly after a brief chat told him I was stopping again to walk up another bloody hill. I was then aware that he must be suffering in some way as over the next few miles I kept seeing him in the distance and not really pulling away. Took another gel near crumlin road, felt like a pussy walking this but my legs though we had finished by now as they were not used to all of this walking crap!
    02:31:31 Half way

Mile 16-26
    Most people around me were employing walk/run tactics now. I think that mentally this made it easier for me to give in and do the same. I said a quick hello to a fellow Englishman wearing a Newquay shirt which cheered me up as I ran past him. He then grumbled at me for stopping a few hundred meters later as he was using me as a target.
    I saw the 15 bus around the 17 mile marker and the soft part of me would of loved to jump on it as it goes right by my place! I was now in a daze with no real injuries thankfully, but my usual drive and determination was no where to be seen. I was in a daze, just walking up the slightest incline and even some flat parts at this stage while gobbling up any sweets the kind crowds were giving out. I found that I was running the parts with crowds in and loved the encouragement of them shouting out my name, but then I would stop and walk again on the quieter stretches.
    30k marker 03:51:06

By this stage the bits that I was walking went on and on during long stretches of tiny hills, my walking was so slow that fast walkers were keeping up with me even though I was jogging some and then walking some!
    I finally got some energy once wandering up 'The wall' but was now sensing that large parts of the earlier crowds were diminished which was not helping my mood. I knew that after 'the wall' it was supposed to be all downhill started running again before it slightly ramped up a tiny bit up to a junction giving me the chance to stop again.
    We were then over the bridge and i started again with the plan of getting to water station which a spectator said was a few meters around the corner. When I turned the corner I could not see any water signs and promptly downed tools again despite this now being downhill. I got to the water station and once again started running a few hundred meters and walking a few hundred meters. Every first aid tent had people wrapped up in blankets and on stretchers which was worrying, but I kept going and was almost feeling like I could run to the finish just past where I collected my number. I then turned the corner to collide with a stupid Women embracing a man and just running back to the curb. I was so angry, shouted some abuse and she apologised. I was maybe a little harsh, but I had got a bit of precious momentum again, and that brought me to a standstill and worse still caused my calf to scream!!!!
    After 50 meters I got going again and when I turned to go up the hill by the pub called beggers bush? I noticed people holding flags ready to run the last bit to the finish so volunteered my help if I could hold the English one which they let me to my joy. I then realised we were just standing their whilst the clock was still ticking so close to the finish, so i gave the flag back and run on only to see the flag wavers with many still up ahead of me start to run into to the finish! Why could i of just waited another few seconds and I would of got to parade my precious St Georges cross over the finish line???
    Once over the canal i lengthened my stride and started overtaking people who were mainly the flag wavers before trying to kick for the line and finishing in a whopping five hours forty five!!!!!
    I then caught my breath back bent over with my hands on my knees only to notice my fellow Englishman next to me in the same manner gasping for air!
    Official Chip time 05:45:28

Thoughts after the Race

I was very emotional after as this meant a hell of a lot to me, all be it in an awful time! I nearly even shed a tear!
    I know a lot advised me not to run, but I'm glad I did it. If I got run over by a bus tomorrow, I can at least say I did the Marathon!
    However I am bitterly disappointed at my mental state during the race. I failed to show any drive or determination. I honestly don't see why I can't of done that in at least twenty mins quicker at the very least!
    The journey this year has helped me stay fit and keep the weight off. I have learned know a large amount of useful information which can only help me improve.

The Future

I have a minor operation to look forward to on Monday on a small tear in my knee. Hopefully the recuperation goes to plan and gives the rest of my body a chance to heel in order to put me bang on to be fitter and stronger when I return to running in the New year. This has not put me off one bit and besides the 10k, I have very soft PB'S to beat. MK Half and Full Marathons await and then some unfinished business to deal with at DCM 2015!!!!!!
    Oh and I never ever will stop up a bloody hill ever again!!!!!!!!!!

P.S I have just started my own log which is called To Hell In A Handcart which at the moment has the above report, along with my running history since I started in May.

Good luck to all in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I had mad notions earlier about the Waterford HM on Dec 6th but I gave myself a kick and now discounting it.

Dying to give the new Kilkenny parkrun a go but it'll be a few weeks I'd say

Longer term, really keen on the Wexford HM and I'm considering joining SLOT club in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 YourPaceOrMine

I'll keep my race report short and sweet.

Set off with the 4:30 hour pacers feeling confident before the race started. I had thought about going out with the 4:20 pacers but decided to play it safe and enjoy the experience of my first marathon.

I didn't find the first 13 miles that easy, I was working to keep up with the pacers which worried me a little. Crumlin was OK, I was well tucked in behind the front of the group so didn't feel the wind that much, it was damn hot though.

When we turned at Walkinstown I felt much better. Miles 15 to 17 were very comfortable, we hit mile 18 and I felt amazing. I started thinking "I can do this, I can actually do this!"

By mile 19 I was less comfortable, by mile 20 I was struggling to keep up and I knew what was ahead of me...Clonskeagh. My husband was at mile 21 so I forced myself to keep with the 4:30 pacers until then. Mile 21 was my last decent mile.

Met my husband, swayed a little and almost had a mini breakdown. He walked with me to the water station and after a few encouraging words I started off again, at a snails pace but my head was down and my spirit was broken.

I spent the last 5 miles on a run walk strategy, listening to two voices in my head, one telling me it's OK to walk from here, the other one telling me the 4:40 pacers are going to catch you! I kinda didn't really care at that stage. At 800meters I managed to pull it together and finished in 4:38

I didn't really enjoy the whole thing, I felt no sense of achievement at the end (stupid I know), all I was thinking about was those last 5 miles and what had gone wrong. I really thought I could run the whole thing, so I suppose the fact that I walked knocked me for six. After all the training I put in I felt disappointed with myself.

I now realise how lucky I was to have finished and gotten my Plan B target time. I said afterwards I would never run another marathon but I will be back next year no doubt about it :) I will beat that wall in 2015!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I had mad notions earlier about the Waterford HM on Dec 6th but I gave myself a kick and now discounting it.

Dying to give the new Kilkenny parkrun a go but it'll be a few weeks I'd say

Longer term, really keen on the Wexford HM and I'm considering joining SLOT club in the new year.

I'm gonna do the half, its 4/5 weeks away, do you think thats too soon? You should join SLOT's, you won't find anyone more welcoming & encouraging of new members than james o'rourke who looks after the fit4lifers up there.

Advertisement