Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Did you download the videos. I can stream them from the site but when I click on the download button of each stream it takes me to another looking to charge more. I thought you could also download them for that price. I also don't see the 7 minute course video.

No I cant see the 7 minute course video either. I couldnt download them yesterday when I paid, but I got an email this morning and now they are available to download, it seems to take a while after you pay before they make them available

With the screenshots do you have a fullscreen photo or did you edit out the surrounds in paint?

Ya I opened them in picture manager first, cropped them, then saved them as jpegs in paint, then got rid of the watermark. Its a roundabout way for sure, but for the price of them was willing to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I downloaded an app called photo editor on the play store. I have been able to crop, add frames and also add text to the bottom of the photo. I could not remove the watermark though.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

I took a pic of my pc screen with my iphone then chopped them. Watermark is still in but that doesn't bother me.

I'll be sad when we're finished with this thread. I really enjoyed reading how everyone was getting on with training. Reading individual logs isn't the same as the chit chat here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Joleigh wrote: »
    I took a pic of my pc screen with my iphone then chopped them. Watermark is still in but that doesn't bother me.

I'll be sad when we're finished with this thread. I really enjoyed reading how everyone was getting on with training. Reading individual logs isn't the same as the chit chat here.

I'm sure there'll be a "DCM 2014 Graduates - The Journey Continues" thread popping up soon.

But it won't have the same life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I like this thread I have to say but it will make my post run logging a little easier.

Up to now, I'd come in from a run, upload garmin data, transfer to strava, rename the run and tag the shoes I was wearing. Update the DCM novices spreadsheet mileage tracker, update the 1000 miles spreadsheet. Post on here with how the run went, post on my own training log with how the run went. And if there was time some stretching and foam rolling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi Guys,
    First day back in work post the DCM....still feel wrecked, legs are still FUBAR, but now starting to move a little better..stairs are still my enemy :)

Recap of Race Day now that haze has passed.
    Prepp: Great prepp, up to 20 miles in 3:04, really looking forward to the DCM. Got Man FLu a week before and spent a few days in bed...not good. I ran 2K on Sunday the 26th and felt crappy, but decided to enter anyway as I had put too much effort in not to make the Start line.

0-10K in 57 minutes...felt really bad, saw a picture of me at only 1-2 miles, still in the City Centre and I looked shattered (BIB 9241 if you want a laff).
    Made it somehow to the Halfway at 2:03 ish, by then the sweat was streaming off me and I had to walk, almost quit at that point. Jogged to around 15 miles and met the 'Magical Pixie' (AQuinn):D with a Boards Novice Tee Shirt on and she actually helped me along with her 'can do' comments up to about 17-18 miles and then I couldn't keep going, so she went on....by then I was a member of the cast of Fox's Walking Dead.

Got a massive blister out of nowhere, rang like a penguin for about 500m and ended up in the First Aid hut at the bottom of Roebuck hill. Left leg cramped up when I tried to put my runner back on and had to get a nice John's ambulance girl to assist me. Ran off in pain, leaving 5-6 lads in the tent wrapped in tin foil with IV's in them waiting for an ambulance to come (poor souls).

Roebuck road.....OMG......had to walk/slow jog this one which was the right thing to do in hindsight as I felt 'back together' at the top. I jogged down Fosters Avenue and I passed a load of people that were barely walking at that stage and I felt 'keep going, you're doing ok, lots of people are struggling too'.

The last 10K were ultra tough and lots of poor people being taken off the course in ambulances. I tried to lift my pace a little with 2-3 miles to go and got immediate cramps in both calves and thighs, probably due to the amount of salt/sodium lost (9lbs lost in total, too much..mad). Decided to just trundle home and get across that finish line and get that medal.

Finished in 4:48, way outside my 4 hour target and plan 'B' 4:30, but in hindsight I was lucky to get through it and not crash out after feeling so poor from the start. My training was decent leading up to it and also my wifes Pasta dishes probably saved me and got me over the line!

Aquinn: Thanks for the help along the way, you dragged me along and distracted me from the pain I was feeling and got me to around 17-18 or so miles. Cheers, Steve

Casey78: You are a legend to get through the DCM after what you went through on race day and on a personal level. My wife and I went through a very tough time in similar circumstances (Autistic son) a few years ago, but we came out the far side and things are much better now....keep going you are amazing.
    I got a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes reading your heartfelt post..well done.

DCM in 2015....bring it on....I am going to kick it's ass!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

adrian522 wrote: »
    I like this thread I have to say but it will make my post run logging a little easier.

Up to now, I'd come in from a run, upload garmin data, transfer to strava, rename the run and tag the shoes I was wearing. Update the DCM novices spreadsheet mileage tracker, update the 1000 miles spreadsheet. Post on here with how the run went, post on my own training log with how the run went. And if there was time some stretching and foam rolling :)

You forgot to shower man! :pac:

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I'm sure there'll be a "DCM 2014 Graduates - The Journey Continues" thread popping up soon.

But it won't have the same life.

Oh great, didn't realise there was somewhere else to hang out.

I can see the "Random Running Questions" thread becoming my new favourite place to loiter! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

:D:D:D

when can we run again? i'm getting itchy feet, my legs are not up for it yet obviously but I'd like a day/date/time when I get put on my runners and go! and can people stop talking about doing a half in a few weeks or I'll end up signing up for one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Firedance wrote: »

when can we run again? i'm getting itchy feet, my legs are not up for it yet obviously but I'd like a day/date/time when I get put on my runners and go! and can people stop talking about doing a half in a few weeks or I'll end up signing up for one!!!

thinking about a Parkrun Saturday, both Malahide and St Annes are 2 x 2.5k loops so if it all goes horribly wrong I can stop early and get to Avoca/Farmers Market for comfort :)

Firedance wrote: »

I was gonna wait till Monday to give it a full week. My local park is starting park run this sat (before this I would have had to drive half an hour to one) and I'm raging I cant start on the first day of it. Or can I?

After my first marathon I waited a week before running, then my knee totally locked up 20 mins into it. I had an injury I didn't know about. Think I'll wait till Monday and do the foam roller and stretch & walk between now and then.

Although I just ran up 2 flights of stairs and I was grand!!! :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

After both my first and second marathons I was running again on the Saturday morning after racing on a Monday. Still felt like I was missing some degree of shock absorption in my knees though. After my third, if I hadn't gotten injured in the process I would have been quite happy to run on the Wednesday after a Sunday race, instead I had 6 weeks off to contemplate my navel and try and get my IT band to behave.

I am itching to get back to some exercise, legs are feeling lots better today. I am thinking of going to the gym over the weekend and doing maybe half an hour on a bike or the cross trainer at a really easy effort, just to stretch out a bit.

I was hoping to get back to the gym properly from Monday on, taking it nice and handy. Dont think I am fit for any classes (strength or spin) next week, will ease myself back in, and get out for maybe 2 short runs.

Def wont be going mad and will be watching myself, is this ok? Would a spin class be ok?

Mimojo wrote: »
    I am itching to get back to some exercise, legs are feeling lots better today. I am thinking of going to the gym over the weekend and doing maybe half an hour on a bike or the cross trainer at a really easy effort, just to stretch out a bit.

I was hoping to get back to the gym properly from Monday on, taking it nice and handy. Dont think I am fit for any classes (strength or spin) next week, will ease myself back in, and get out for maybe 2 short runs.

Def wont be going mad and will be watching myself, is this ok? Would a spin class be ok?

I wouldn't do a spin class within the first 2 weeks, I find them so intense on my legs. Worse than a lsr. But that's just me. My hip flexors were the part of me that felt most worn out after the marathon, so I don't know if they'd have the strength for spin for a while.

Maybe a gentle cross train or run on the treadmill and a swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Would a spin class be ok?

I'm dying to go back spinning. Finding it hard to resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I'm back cycling since yesterday and found it lovely on my legs, really nice.
    Finally got my nights sleep and body is feeling good today.
    My massive appetite is finally easing and even had fruit today for the first time in weeks it seems.
    Might do a nice cycle on the weekend rather than run.

SMASHINER! With your BIC penned name on shirt and my printed job you won on that one anyway. Well done for continuing. Was sorry to leave you but great to see you in the pub.

The joy and high from yesterday that wore me out with my enthusiasm is unfortunately leaving me. Such an unbelievable experience. I think for the next one I would aim more for 4.10 rather than 4 as I think 4 would have me broken and hating it which I don't want. Will upload stats later from Monday if ye wouldn't mind having a look and advising. I'm not letting go of you yet!

Reports fantastic, well done all.

I wouldn't do a spin class within the first 2 weeks, I find them so intense on my legs. Worse than a lsr. But that's just me. My hip flexors were the part of me that felt most worn out after the marathon, so I don't know if they'd have the strength for spin for a while.

Maybe a gentle cross train or run on the treadmill and a swim.
    martyoo wrote: »
    I'm dying to go back spinning. Finding it hard to resist.

Me too! I figured it might be ok given that it is low impact, but def it is intense on the legs alright.

My hip flexors are the worse affected too, and still feeling tired and sore.

Maybe towards the end of next week I will rethink it. Swimming might be the way to go, Im not a great swimmer but any bit would prob help to stretch out the legs.

I never really thought about after the marathon, have been so fixated on it for so long its really weird this week!!

I was gonna wait till Monday to give it a full week. My local park is starting park run this sat (before this I would have had to drive half an hour to one) and I'm raging I cant start on the first day of it. Or can I?

After my first marathon I waited a week before running, then my knee totally locked up 20 mins into it. I had an injury I didn't know about. Think I'll wait till Monday and do the foam roller and stretch & walk between now and then.

Although I just ran up 2 flights of stairs and I was grand!!! :D

go girl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

bit late now but on the day after the marathon it's a good idea to do the 'kenyan shuffle' for a KM or two. think slow motion! then you do no running for a few days and ease into it over a period of weeks.

the more marathons you have done the more resilient you're legs are and the sooner you can run to various intensities again. so there are no hard and fast rules here - it does depend. for instance if you injured your knee or something, well please don't go running on it until it's healed!

but I believe everyone really needs to respect what they have done for a minimum of three weeks and then decide where they are based on experience and prudence.

(for those of you going spinning/swimming already etc...you are very much still in recuperation and your immune system is still compromised. just be aware and be careful)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

So when are the next marathons.. I'm itching for another go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

So when are the next marathons.. I'm itching for another go!

JohnDozer is going again in around 6 weeks, but we all think he's cracked! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Hi All,

I’ve been following closely all the reports over the last few days and I’m in awe of the determination and bravery shown by all, particularly those who dug in and got over the line when their targets were no longer achievable.

I didn’t finish the race, bowing out at 21 miles. This was about 15 miles further than I expected to get having hardly run for two weeks before hand and expecting a foot injury to flare up. You often hear sportsmen talking about a draw and saying it’s a lot like kissing your sister. Well that’s how I’ve been feeling for the last few days. (For the record I don’t have a sister!).

The pain in my foot seemed to disappear between miles 2 and 18. If I could bottle the buzz I felt during this period I’d be a billionaire. I was cruising along having started with the four hour pacers and reckon I had opened up a gap of about a minute on them by Terenure. I think it was just before we turned right in Rathgar and the pain at the top of my foot came back and I slowed to a hobble. I ran/walked/ hobbled for 2.5-3 miles as far as Clonskeagh and bowed out. I had some cash with me for this exact scenario and got a taxi back into Merrion square to pick up my gear and arranged for a lift home. I was quite upset when I met my wife, she assured me I had done my best and being injured wasn’t my fault. This is something I’m not convinced of, as I believe we have to take responsibility for this kind of thing – it may have been a lack of knowledge rather than foolishness which caused me to get injured but, I need to have a think about what happened and try not to make the same mistake again.

Since Monday evening, I’ve been kicking myself, thinking I should have dug in harder from that point and just made sure I finished. I had consulted my physio, in the run up to the race, and he advised while it wouldn’t be fun I wouldn’t do any damage by running; it was just a build up of fluid causing the pain. Thinking back, I don’t even have a clear recollection of how bad the pain was, it all became a bit of a blur after Rathgar. I came through 30k in around 2:52 and even if I walked the rest of the way I would have gotten in under 5 hours. Anyway, it’s done now and I need to let go of the negativity in the next few days and move on.

I’m trying not to dwell on it and have started looking forward to next year and have been thinking about what I’ve learned. I think the experience from Monday will be invaluable. I’m going to wait for DCM 15 and right the wrongs of this year.

A couple of things I’ll do differently in preparation and in the race I’d be open to feedback.
    • Maintain a steady base in first 6 months of the year doing 5k, 10k & HM races – may following a couple of shorter programs to goal races
    • When marathon training commences I won’t do any other high intensity sporting activities – I pulled a hamstring playing tag rugby this summer which delayed me starting the training program and I may have ramped the mileage up too quickly as a result.
    • Set a realistic goal at the start of the program and stick to it. I had targeted sub 3-50 and switched to sub 4 in the last 3 weeks – I think this meant that my LSRs were actually run too fast as I was running 3-50 pace + 1 minute which is 4 hour pace + 40 seconds and maybe too quickly
    • In the race itself I’ll follow the pacers or at least stick to a plan. There was no need for me to run ahead of the 4 hour pacers – I got caught up in the atmosphere in Castleknock and should have held myself back. If my race had lasted the full 26.2 I think I’d have paid for this, and should have tucked in behind them up the Crumlin road.

Anyway, I don’t want to be any more of a buzz kill, well done to everyone again. I think this might be a good time to ask if I can be permitted entry to the 2015 Novices thread by whoever steps up to the plate, as unlike the many here I have yet to complete a Marathon!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Don't be too hard on yourself, there is no point in pushing through the pain barrier just to tick a box to "finish". I think you did the right thing, sometimes it's harder to drop out than to keep going.

I know what you said about your Physio but what benefit would you get from hobbling to the finish line? Best plan, get healthy, get back training and get the time you deserve, I'm sure you'll get back and have a great race next year.

Also have a think about some goals for the first half of the year. A mistake I made this year was to focus on the Marathon from too early on, I was training for it really from February onwards and was pretty burned out by the time the summer arrived.

I've just taken the first step towards joining a club and e-mailed SLOT

My post-Marathon depression has suddenly vanished and I'm excited again :D

Mimojo wrote: »
    Me too! I figured it might be ok given that it is low impact, but def it is intense on the legs alright.

My hip flexors are the worse affected too, and still feeling tired and sore.

Maybe towards the end of next week I will rethink it. Swimming might be the way to go, Im not a great swimmer but any bit would prob help to stretch out the legs.

I never really thought about after the marathon, have been so fixated on it for so long its really weird this week!!

Its hard to believe there is life after the marathon! Now that its over I am really looking to my Christmas nights out and not having to worry about drinking excessively...I can get locked!

I'm not a great swimmer either but the doggy paddle really helped my legs :)

I always wanted to run the connemarathon, but while running the Dublin one the thought crossed my mind that I might struggle more on the lonely roads of Connemara without cheering crowds. Is it really lonely does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Should not be writing this in work but anyway .....

As a non-runner on Monday it was brilliant reading all your reports. Seemed that the people who were most successful were those who took a cautious approach to their pacing and didn't go out too fast (for that weather). Other really interesting thing was a few people who recognised they didn't achieve enough high-mileage weeks during the training... both stuff I "knew" but it's much more real to hear it from people whose training you've been reading about.

I'm in the same situation as you guys now in preparing to start running again. I'd been fine walking on the leg for a while, but now I'm even twinge-free for my 100m corridor jogs and going fast down flights of stairs. So I think that's 'perfect' and am looking forward to trying 3miles on the weekend :-). Exciting stuff!

I've registered for the Paris marathon on 12th April, and have done up my training plan ... in my plan for DCM I didn't do enough weeks of strong mileage in training, so I'm going to be working with a slightly modified version of the Boards plan. The main change is a bit of re-shuffling to allow Tuesday intervals most weeks .... And slightly higher mileage - I'm planning for 7 weeks of >40miles and the max-mileage week to be 50.

And I'm going to start the plan on 24th November to give me two spare weeks for injuring myself or being a little bit lazy sometimes :-)

ChadHogan wrote: »
    Hi All,

I’ve been following closely all the reports over the last few days and I’m in awe of the determination and bravery shown by all, particularly those who dug in and got over the line when their targets were no longer achievable.

I didn’t finish the race, bowing out at 21 miles. This was about 15 miles further than I expected to get having hardly run for two weeks before hand and expecting a foot injury to flare up. You often hear sportsmen talking about a draw and saying it’s a lot like kissing your sister. Well that’s how I’ve been feeling for the last few days. (For the record I don’t have a sister!).

The pain in my foot seemed to disappear between miles 2 and 18. If I could bottle the buzz I felt during this period I’d be a billionaire. I was cruising along having started with the four hour pacers and reckon I had opened up a gap of about a minute on them by Terenure. I think it was just before we turned right in Rathgar and the pain at the top of my foot came back and I slowed to a hobble. I ran/walked/ hobbled for 2.5-3 miles as far as Clonskeagh and bowed out. I had some cash with me for this exact scenario and got a taxi back into Merrion square to pick up my gear and arranged for a lift home. I was quite upset when I met my wife, she assured me I had done my best and being injured wasn’t my fault. This is something I’m not convinced of, as I believe we have to take responsibility for this kind of thing – it may have been a lack of knowledge rather than foolishness which caused me to get injured but, I need to have a think about what happened and try not to make the same mistake again.

Since Monday evening, I’ve been kicking myself, thinking I should have dug in harder from that point and just made sure I finished. I had consulted my physio, in the run up to the race, and he advised while it wouldn’t be fun I wouldn’t do any damage by running; it was just a build up of fluid causing the pain. Thinking back, I don’t even have a clear recollection of how bad the pain was, it all became a bit of a blur after Rathgar. I came through 30k in around 2:52 and even if I walked the rest of the way I would have gotten in under 5 hours. Anyway, it’s done now and I need to let go of the negativity in the next few days and move on.

I’m trying not to dwell on it and have started looking forward to next year and have been thinking about what I’ve learned. I think the experience from Monday will be invaluable. I’m going to wait for DCM 15 and right the wrongs of this year.

A couple of things I’ll do differently in preparation and in the race I’d be open to feedback.
    • Maintain a steady base in first 6 months of the year doing 5k, 10k & HM races – may following a couple of shorter programs to goal races
    • When marathon training commences I won’t do any other high intensity sporting activities – I pulled a hamstring playing tag rugby this summer which delayed me starting the training program and I may have ramped the mileage up too quickly as a result.
    • Set a realistic goal at the start of the program and stick to it. I had targeted sub 3-50 and switched to sub 4 in the last 3 weeks – I think this meant that my LSRs were actually run too fast as I was running 3-50 pace + 1 minute which is 4 hour pace + 40 seconds and maybe too quickly
    • In the race itself I’ll follow the pacers or at least stick to a plan. There was no need for me to run ahead of the 4 hour pacers – I got caught up in the atmosphere in Castleknock and should have held myself back. If my race had lasted the full 26.2 I think I’d have paid for this, and should have tucked in behind them up the Crumlin road.

Anyway, I don’t want to be any more of a buzz kill, well done to everyone again. I think this might be a good time to ask if I can be permitted entry to the 2015 Novices thread by whoever steps up to the plate, as unlike the many here I have yet to complete a Marathon!

+1 for don't be too hard on yourself, you did the right thing and although I completely understand why you feel that way there will be other marathons where you won't be injured, you will enjoy it. Monday was hard enough for those of us with no injury pain, you had extra to handle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I always wanted to run the connemarathon, but while running the Dublin one the thought crossed my mind that I might struggle more on the lonely roads of Connemara without cheering crowds. Is it really lonely does anyone know?

I did the half there about two years ago. It's a tough route. Very different to Dublin.

The scenery down there is amazing and it always sells out so you would want to be booking soon enough.

Advertisement