Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon ultimate cf sl 9 or Focus Cayo Evo 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,042 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lgk wrote: »
    Stem length determines how far out in front of the steerer tube the bars are, not the height.
    No. Most stems have positive effective rise.

For instance, 73 degree head tube, -8 degree stem, angle to horizontal = (90-73)-8=9 degrees.

Stem measured along hypotenuse (H). Rise is opposite (O).

100mm stem: rise = sin(9)*100 = 15.6mm
    120mm stem: rise = sin(9)*120 = 18.8mm

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Lumen wrote: »
    No. Most stems have positive effective rise.

True, and nicely worked out.

Now, for your next challenge, work out the overall effect on body positioning with a bar 3.2mm higher, but 3mm further away (M frame +120mm stem Vs L frame and 100mm stem) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,042 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lgk wrote: »
    Now, for your next challenge, work out the overall effect on body positioning with a bar 3.2mm higher, but 3mm further away (M frame +120mm stem Vs L frame and 100mm stem) :D
    3mm isn't significant in terms of reach, but faced with these choices I'd pick the M because an L frame requiring a 100mm stem is probably too large for the rider. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I found the Canyon PPS system a little confusing so looking for some pointers from Canyon riders, or anyone who knows :)

I am a smidge over 5.9 (178cm) with a slight bias in torso length over legs (i.e. short legs). I ride a 54cm frame right now (unbranded) and I cannot determine should I be on an S or an M in the Canyon Ultimate world?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭furiousox

You're the same as me.
    My Scott is a 54, if I was going for a Canyon it would be small.
    Try to ignore the 'small' and 'medium', as far as Canyon is concerned it's 53cm and 56cm.
    I'd go for the 53, you can always get a longer stem if needed.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭bazzamac

mojo.i have a 56" aeroad frame.if your around south dublin your more than welcome to try it for size.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tamaskan

furiousox wrote: »
    You're the same as me.
    Try to ignore the 'small' and 'medium', as far as Canyon is concerned it's 53cm and 56cm.

So if you were me, 184cm tall and on the border of a medium or large frame, would u go with the medium with the longer stem. Bear in mind I'm 39 and don't want my position to be too slammed.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

tamaskan wrote: »
    Hey lads,
    I'm in the process of upgrading to a new bike and have it down to two choices. One with my LBS and one online from Canyon. The lbs option is the 2014 Focus cayo Evo 3.0 which comes in at €2200 with 11 speed Ultegra. 11 speed is important for me as it's somewhat future proofed so I won't get a bad case of upgrade-itis down the line. Nice bike though the bright yellow and black makes it hard to love. However it gets great reviews and is comfortable yet racy.
    2nd option is the Canyon, (€2199)also 11 speed and a over a pound lighter with Ksyrium Elite S Wts wheels (but I already own Dura Ace C24's so wheels aren't important).
    I'll be mainly using it for duathlons and fast Sportives. My heart says the Canyon for spec and looks, but my head says the Focus for comfort and supporting my lbs.

Anyone own either of these two? Or anyone else have an opinion. I can always change Lbs as he's not in my town anyway.
    Thanks in advance.

If it's comfort and similiar spec, why not a Specialized Roubaix. Responsive uphill and down, very comfortable, more so than Tarmac and cheaper for 11speed ultegra which is a savage groupset

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

furiousox wrote: »
    You're the same as me.

This is just what I needed - ta furiousox. I would be a 54 on a Scott frame too so a 53 would do the job nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

bazzamac wrote: »
    mojo.i have a 56" aeroad frame.if your around south dublin your more than welcome to try it for size.

Just to add to this as well, i've a canyon roadlite size M if you wanna try it out for size. I'm in finglas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Inside leg plays a big part as well. I spoke to two different Canyon reps, both 6ft tall. One rides a M and the other one rides a L. The guy with the long inside leg rides a large because the medium would have too much seatpost showing, conversely those with short inside legs (i.e. me) can get a good fit with a medium.

Inside leg plays a big part as well. I spoke to two different Canyon reps, both 6ft tall. One rides a M and the other one rides a L. The guy with the long inside leg rides a large because the medium would have too much seatpost showing, conversely those with short inside legs (i.e. me) can get a good fit with a medium.

Would you say an 85cm inseam is more suitable to a large or medium frame? Or to put it another way, do I have a long or short leg? I'm around 6'1".

How long is your inside leg?

Would you say an 85cm inseam is more suitable to a large or medium frame? Or to put it another way, do I have a long or short leg? I'm around 6'1".

How long is your inside leg?

I'm 6ft with an 84.5 inside leg - I have been led to believe that 84.5 is pretty short, mainly because when I tried to put my details into one of the fit calculators it told me I was outside the normal parameters. The guy I spoke to who rides a medium was 6ft with a slightly shorter inside leg (can't remember exactly what). I think you should probably try a spin on one of the bikes that posters here have offered (mine is still awaiting delivery :( ) and see how comfortable they may be for you personally.

I would also suggest that you pull out the geometry chart for your current bike and see how that compares to the Canyons.

Just to let u all know, seeing as I started this thread, that I ordered the Canyon last Friday. Due date 18th to 23rd August. Thanks everyone for your help.... You know who you are. I'll keep ye posted. Cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just to let u all know, seeing as I started this thread, that I ordered the Canyon last Friday. Due date 18th to 23rd August. Thanks everyone for your help.... You know who you are. I'll keep ye posted. Cheers

August? The summer will be over before you get it!

I was gona order a canyon at the end of the month but the build time was 8 weeks or something. Will hold off and put a few more quid to it and get it next year

godtabh wrote: »
    August? The summer will be over before you get it!

I was gona order a canyon at the end of the month but the build time was 8 weeks or something. Will hold off and put a few more quid to it and get it next year

You're right, the summer will be over, but it will be one hell of an Autumn/winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Good reading on this thread.

I'm a bit torn at the minute deciding between the Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0 and the Cannondale Synapse Carbon.

Both bikes are in a similar price bracket, leaning towards the Cannondale at the minute as this is my first road bike switching from a hybrid and having the bike shop on hand to get the setup right is a big factor. They're unable to get the 2014 model for me but are going to set aside the 2015 model which they reckon should have in September.

That said, this thread is pushing me towards the Canyon, better groupset (Ultegra v 105) and better wheels, just looks like more bang for your buck in general.

Not easy this decision making! If I had a bit of experience with a road bike I'm pretty sure I'd be going with the Canyon. Currently doing a ~100km spin on the hybrid at weekends, one or two shorter spins midweek. Mainly looking for more comfort to do some longer weekend spins.

godtabh wrote: »

Just wondering if there is a "bad" time of year to get a Canyon.

Do you know if they update their models at a certain time each year?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

gambeta_fc wrote: »
    Just wondering if there is a "bad" time of year to get a Canyon.

Do you know if they update their models at a certain time each year?

They do a sale during the tour and release new bikes after that usually landing around October.

I bought my current t canyon in March last year. 2 week turn around. Depends on the week you order and what you are ordering

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭bazzamac

from September on they reduce prices on the bikes between 200e and 300e.

• Advertisement

Good to know, cheers folks.

I'm in no major rush so will hold off until September/October time.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

gambeta_fc wrote: »
    Good to know, cheers folks.

I'm in no major rush so will hold off until September/October time.

They'll launch most of the 2015 range at Eurobike at the end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Ordered mine from Canyon a while back and it was due to be shipped last week, Week 24.
    Got a mail on Thursday saying it was not going to be Week 26. And then another mail on Friday saying it was now actually Week 27. Very frustrating. I was expecting a delay, but 3 weeks?!

They did knock the delivery/box charge though, so every cloud and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭joe14

How long do the bikes take to deliver(canyon) that is,Im thinking of ordering the canyon ultimate cf sl 9,but will need it in 3 weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

joe14 wrote: »
    How long do the bikes take to deliver(canyon) that is,Im thinking of ordering the canyon ultimate cf sl 9,but will need it in 3 weeks..

Have a look at the website - they give an idea of a "shipping week", then add around 5 days for physical shipping from Germany.

Or if you look in the express bikes tab - you will see what is in stock ........ think you can enter your size etc .............

Hope that helps ............

bellinter wrote: »
    Ordered mine from Canyon a while back and it was due to be shipped last week, Week 24.
    Got a mail on Thursday saying it was not going to be Week 26. And then another mail on Friday saying it was now actually Week 27. Very frustrating. I was expecting a delay, but 3 weeks?!

They did knock the delivery/box charge though, so every cloud and all that.

Me too. :(

joe14 wrote: »

Depends on what size you are ordering. Unless you are ordering a size that they have in stock, which is usually sizes 51, 53, 60 & 62, then you'll have to wait at lest four to eight weeks. The shark blue colour usually seems to ship quicker as well.

Edit: just checked delivery dates and for most sizes except large it seems to be around mid July. Large, the one I ordered is mid August:(

Can anyone tell me what weight the Canyon is in size Large. The stated weight is 6.95kg but that is for a size Xtra small. Anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

Can anyone tell me what weight the Canyon is in size Large. The stated weight is 6.95kg but that is for a size Xtra small. Anyone???

With or without pedals ............... dont panic, you'll still be in around the 7kg mark ...... without pedals

• Advertisement

With or without pedals ............... dont panic, you'll still be in around the 7kg mark ...... without pedals

Thanks Frazzle. The reason I was asking was I was reading a review of the bike where the stated weight for a medium without pedals was 7.45KG which is a pound heavier than the stated 6.95kg. Do you own one yourself?

Advertisement