Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon ultimate cf sl 9 or Focus Cayo Evo 3.0

Options
  • 29-04-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hey lads,
    I'm in the process of upgrading to a new bike and have it down to two choices. One with my LBS and one online from Canyon. The lbs option is the 2014 Focus cayo Evo 3.0 which comes in at €2200 with 11 speed Ultegra. 11 speed is important for me as it's somewhat future proofed so I won't get a bad case of upgrade-itis down the line. Nice bike though the bright yellow and black makes it hard to love. However it gets great reviews and is comfortable yet racy.
    2nd option is the Canyon, (€2199)also 11 speed and a over a pound lighter with Ksyrium Elite S Wts wheels (but I already own Dura Ace C24's so wheels aren't important).
    I'll be mainly using it for duathlons and fast Sportives. My heart says the Canyon for spec and looks, but my head says the Focus for comfort and supporting my lbs.

Anyone own either of these two? Or anyone else have an opinion. I can always change Lbs as he's not in my town anyway.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

There may be a pretty long wait for a Canyon, you probably won't get it until June if that might help you make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tamaskan

There may be a pretty long wait for a Canyon, you probably won't get it until June if that might help you make up your mind.

I'm wiling to wait for the right bike as I'll have it long enough. Just feel a little guilty for not supporting lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

tamaskan wrote: »
    Hey lads,
    I'm in the process of upgrading to a new bike and have it down to two choices. One with my LBS and one online from Canyon. The lbs option is the 2014 Focus cayo Evo 3.0 which comes in at €2200 with 11 speed Ultegra. 11 speed is important for me as it's somewhat future proofed so I won't get a bad case of upgrade-itis down the line. Nice bike though the bright yellow and black makes it hard to love. However it gets great reviews and is comfortable yet racy.
    2nd option is the Canyon, (€2199)also 11 speed and a over a pound lighter with Ksyrium Elite S Wts wheels (but I already own Dura Ace C24's so wheels aren't important).
    I'll be mainly using it for duathlons and fast Sportives. My heart says the Canyon for spec and looks, but my head says the Focus for comfort and supporting my lbs.

Anyone own either of these two? Or anyone else have an opinion. I can always change Lbs as he's not in my town anyway.
    Thanks in advance.

I have focus cayo and recently put 11speeder. It's few years old frame but can't complain and if I was to get a new bike I would go with focus again. They were good value when they weren't a "famous" brand - today I don't know. The ultegra groupset is around €650 - so you just need to look at the value/spec of the remaining components to judge how good deal it is. Unfortunately it's very difficult to buy focus frame set alone these days.

I would go with focus just because I own it already and Im quite happy with my frame.

omri wrote: »
    I have focus cayo and recently put 11speeder. It's few years old frame but can't complain and if I was to get a new bike I would go with focus again. They were good value when they weren't a "famous" brand - today I don't know. The ultegra groupset is around €650 - so you just need to look at the value/spec of the remaining components to judge how good deal it is. Unfortunately it's very difficult to buy focus frame set alone these days.

I would go with focus just because I own it already and Im quite happy with my frame.

Thanks for that. The focus is still good value for 11 speed. I'd take it no problem, but the colour of it just puts me off a little. It's got everything I need, but I'd find it hard to love it. Shallow I know, but if I'm gonna spend that much I should at least like how it looks. I'd get over it, but I saw some Canyons at the Etape Ras Mumhan last week and I was in love: )

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

Being honest what you're going to get here is owners of Focus' telling you to go for that one, and owners of the Canyon telling you to go for the Canyon.
    I have that Canyon and really like it. From personal experience, Canyon are a pleaure to deal with, despite being online only, and have had no problems at all with the bike.
    As the specs are the same (will you really notice the pound in weight difference?) it's probably going to come down to asthetics and which you prefer the look of.
    If there's anything specific you'd like to know about the Canyon, feel free to PM me though.

• Advertisement

Being honest what you're going to get here is owners of Focus' telling you to go for that one, and owners of the Canyon telling you to go for the Canyon.
    I have that Canyon and really like it. From personal experience, Canyon are a pleaure to deal with, despite being online only, and have had no problems at all with the bike.
    As the specs are the same (will you really notice the pound in weight difference?) it's probably going to come down to asthetics and which you prefer the look of.
    If there's anything specific you'd like to know about the Canyon, feel free to PM me though.

Do u bring your Canyon to your original lbs for servicing, and if so how did they take it?

Do u bring your Canyon to your original lbs for servicing, and if so how did they take it?
    I have taken it in once, and no problems - did get the comment "nice bike" too! Mind you, my old bike was in and out of the shop a lot with them, and they were always super helpful which made me "encourage" my wife to buy her new bike from them. Probably helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭zindicato

had 2 focus bikes had an cayo ( sold) and now have a culebro1.0 (cycle to work) saving up for an izalco so as you can see loyal focus fan here, but try test riding both bikes first and then decide on what you really want:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 smiggyontour

Which colour did you go for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'd go with the Canyon on looks alone. I do t think it's shallow to choose a bike on looks, I chose mine purely in looks and absolutely love it over all other bikes.

• Advertisement

Which colour did you go for ?
    The shark silver - cyan one. Forgot to mention, put all my mesurements in the website when buying it and the size recomended was spot on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

Don't listen to him ;) get focus :)

omri wrote: »
    Don't listen to him ;) get focus :)
    Told ya!

CJC999 wrote: »
    I'd go with the Canyon on looks alone. I do t think it's shallow to choose a bike on looks, I chose mine purely in looks and absolutely love it over all other bikes.

So the message seems to be fcuk the LBS and follow my heart. So next question, can I order a black seat and bar tape from Canyon. Not mad into white.

So the message seems to be fcuk the LBS and follow my heart. So next question, can I order a black seat and bar tape from Canyon. Not mad into white.
    I wouldn't go that far now! I'm a big fan of LBS's. I'm pretty certain you can't customise the bike, but you may be able to change the seat (not sure though). You could get a new seat and bar tape from the LBS?!

I wouldn't go that far now! I'm a big fan of LBS's. I'm pretty certain you can't customise the bike, but you may be able to change the seat (not sure though). You could get a new seat and bar tape from the LBS?!

Yeah I'm a fan of my Lbs too and don't want to betray them as they lent me a lovely Felt AR4 for a duathlon last year. On the other hand, is it really a good idea to buy a bike that I just don't like the look of. See attached image. What do ye guys think of it?

Another thing I've heard is that the Canyon isn't the most comfortable over long distances. BikeRadar even say the Canyon Ultimate AL is more comfortable than it carbon brother. Anyone?

Yeah I'm a fan of my Lbs too and don't want to betray them as they lent me a lovely Felt AR4 for a duathlon last year. On the other hand, is it really a good idea to buy a bike that I just don't like the look of. See attached image. What do ye guys think of it?

mate of mine had exactly the same one he came from a specialized tarmac elite 2012 is spesh was his baby for years till he decided for a change he tried a cannondale which he loved but price was bit high for him so he found the focus he was gonna dismiss it till he tried it now he totally loves it that the spesh was passed on to his son:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I think it would be ridiculous to buy a good bike for that money you don't like the look of. Feeling that way is nothing to feel guilty about.

zindicato wrote: »
    mate of mine had exactly the same one he came from a specialized tarmac elite 2012 is spesh was his baby for years till he decided for a change he tried a cannondale which he loved but price was bit high for him so he found the focus he was gonna dismiss it till he tried it now he totally loves it that the spesh was passed on to his son:)

Is it the same fluoro yellow Cayo Evo 3.0 as the picture file I attached? I know from the reviews that the Cayo is everything I need, light, fast and comfortable. The Canyon is even lighter and will probably shave a few seconds off the hills, but over 150k it's probably not as comfortable. Tight call as comfort is probably more important than looks. Thing is beauty is only skin deep, but ugly cuts to the bone.

• Advertisement

I've just e mailed Canyon to see if I could buy a bike without wheels as I already have Dura Ace C24's on my current Alu bike. It'll be interesting to see what they say. If I could save €200 there I could buy a higher up model.
    Anyone any ideas on their policy on wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

I've seen two of these recently.
    One in a bike shop and one in a sportive.
    I thought it was a nice looking bike, not as garish as you might think.

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    I've seen two of these recently.
    One in a bike shop and one in a sportive.
    I thought it was a nice looking bike, not as garish as you might think.

I checked it out in the lbs and while it's not garish, nor is it anything to be proud of. It will get looks, but not necessarily the right type of looks. It's probably one of those love it or hate it type of bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Giant, Trek, Focus and Cube ( with a yellow jacket ) . Thats pretty much your options at the LBS.

Sometimes it feels like North Korea.

ror_74 wrote: »
    Giant, Trek, Focus and Cube ( with a yellow jacket ) . Thats pretty much your options at the LBS.

Sometimes it feels like North Korea.

What do you ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I own a Canyon AL and like it a lot, but they're not without issues. The forks can't be purchased separately which means if you damage them you need to buy a whole frameset, and the headset is proprietary and replacement bearings are only available from Canyon @ €50 a shot.

Sizing can also be a bit tricky to get right, particularly since they seem to change geometry from year to year (unlike Colnago, for instance, who seem to have been using the same geometry for decades because, eh, bicycle geometry is a solved problem).

Focuses used to be a bit agricultural but they've come on a lot since I owned one in 2008 ish.

Maybe just buy a bike that's pretty and has the groupset and wheels you want.

Is it the same fluoro yellow Cayo Evo 3.0 as the picture file I attached? I know from the reviews that the Cayo is everything I need, light, fast and comfortable. The Canyon is even lighter and will probably shave a few seconds off the hills, but over 150k it's probably not as comfortable. Tight call as comfort is probably more important than looks. Thing is beauty is only skin deep, but ugly cuts to the bone.

same as that one ill post a link to his fb page he's from the other side of the border great ol filipino chap
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202339482903149&set=pb.1074360908.-2207520000.1398798930.&type=3&theater

zindicato wrote: »
    same as that one ill post a link to his fb page he's from the other side of the border great ol filipino chap
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202339482903149&set=pb.1074360908.-2207520000.1398798930.&type=3&theater

Thanks for the link. It actually looks pretty sweet outside the shop. Could have been the lighting on the fluorescent yellow bringing out its disco side:) You could have changed my mind. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 smiggyontour

Ordered an ultimate cf 9.0 in March asked about swapping white saddle and bar tape to black
    Told it couldn't be done
    Ill change the bar tape to black but think the white saddle like look good against all the black and grey

• Advertisement

Ordered an ultimate cf 9.0 in March asked about swapping white saddle and bar tape to black
    Told it couldn't be done
    Ill change the bar tape to black but think the white saddle like look good against all the black and grey

Thanks for that. Any photos of your bike? Is it the SL or the SLK?

Advertisement