Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon ultimate cf sl 9 or Focus Cayo Evo 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭macbane66

tamaskan wrote: »
    Hey Cheerspal,

I'm after reading on another post that Canyon only take the money from your bank account once the bike has been despatched. Can you tell me if this is true? If it is I would order the bike now as they are saying on the website the bike won't be ready for despatch until the 14th July, by which time I'll have the money saved and in my account. This seems a better plan than waiting to order until I have the money available, and having to wait until September probably to get the bike.

Please feel free anybody to answer the above question.

Thanks

this seems to be the case, my bike is shipped and somewhere in Belgium at the moment : visa card only charged yesterday so they are good on the money front

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tamaskan

macbane66 wrote: »
    this seems to be the case, my bike is shipped and somewhere in Belgium at the moment : visa card only charged yesterday so they are good on the money front

Thank you McBane. You've just made me one happy camper. Kudos and good karma to you: )

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TiBoy

Hey Cheerspal,

I'm after reading on another post that Canyon only take the money from your bank account once the bike has been despatched. Can you tell me if this is true? If it is I would order the bike now as they are saying on the website the bike won't be ready for despatch until the 14th July, by which time I'll have the money saved and in my account. This seems a better plan than waiting to order until I have the money available, and having to wait until September probably to get the bike.

Please feel free anybody to answer the above question.

Thanks

It depends on how you choose to pay.

I choose to pay by transfer to Canyon's bank account which involved paying in advance.

If you are paying by debit card be sure to check with your card company that your daily limit is not less than your order value with Canyon as that will cause problems and Canyon will not split payment to get over the problem. By the way I'm not criticising Canyon, more so the card company (funny they will provide greater limits on credit cards....)

So far I've had a good experience with Canyon communication and ordering process. New bike arrives Thursday and another bike for the other cyclist in the house in two weeks. (smily new bike owner face)

PS why are icons only appearing in the reply header when I preview my post? (sad bstrd cant use icons properly face)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

TiBoy wrote: »

I choose to pay by transfer to Canyon's bank account which involved paying in advance.

+1 They say that the payment should be transferred at least 10 days before planned shipping date.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

I paid by credit card and the money wasnt taken til the bike left their warehouse ................. thats another plus if you ask me.

• Advertisement

TiBoy wrote: »

If you are paying by debit card be sure to check with your card company that your daily limit is not less than your order value with Canyon as that will cause problems and Canyon will not split payment to get over the problem. By the way I'm not criticising Canyon, more so the card company (funny they will provide greater limits on credit cards....)

So far I've had a good experience with Canyon communication and ordering process. New bike arrives Thursday and another bike for the other cyclist in the house in two weeks. (smily new bike owner face)

PS why are icons only appearing in the reply header when I preview my post? (sad bstrd cant use icons properly face)

Thanks TiBoy. I'm paying by company credit card on the BTW scheme so it's looking good. Gonna do up my measurements tonight and give canyon UK a call tomorrow to make sure I've chosen the right size. Then fill in the order and hit the pay button by the end of the week.

Can anyone tell me if it's really worth getting the chain catcher. Seems like a good idea, but my chain has come off a couple of times on my Aluminium bike and never even scratched the black paint. I've never seen one on a bike, do they take away from the look of it or are they nicely hidden away behind the Crank?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Griff30

i know its nice to support lbs but you have to go for the bike you will be happy with.

Griff30 wrote: »
    i know its nice to support lbs but you have to go for the bike you will be happy with.

Thanks Griff. That's the decision I had come to myself. Unfortunately when I went to ring Canyon UK today they were too busy to take calls so are only accepting e-mails which they promise to reply to within 3 days....not good enough. So I then called their Koblenz office in Germany where I was on hold for 45 minutes before the phone line went dead. This is quite worrying and not the start to the buying experience I had expected.
    Anyone else have similar experiences? How long do you normally have to wait to talk to somebody?
    It's not enough to put me off, but if I was having issues with the bike in the future, I worry how long it would take to sort out.

Thanks Griff. That's the decision I had come to myself. Unfortunately when I went to ring Canyon UK today they were too busy to take calls so are only accepting e-mails which they promise to reply to within 3 days....not good enough. So I then called their Koblenz office in Germany where I was on hold for 45 minutes before the phone line went dead. This is quite worrying and not the start to the buying experience I had expected.
    Anyone else have similar experiences? How long do you normally have to wait to talk to somebody?
    It's not enough to put me off, but if I was having issues with the bike in the future, I worry how long it would take to sort out.

You have to remember that the office in the UK is just a sales office, keep with them, if you ask straight forward questions you will get the answers, I found them fine to deal with and they will comeback before the alloted time - also this is the time of year that everyone decides to buy a bike ............

You have to remember that the office in the UK is just a sales office, keep with them, if you ask straight forward questions you will get the answers, I found them fine to deal with and they will comeback before the alloted time - also this is the time of year that everyone decides to buy a bike ............

Did you talk by phone or e mail?

• Advertisement

Did you talk by phone or e mail?

Both - but I was buying my bike last November / December - I got the answer phone a few times and the auto replies on email, but all in all with a bit of patience and some good conversations I got there and am very happy with the product .......... as an aside, they were happy to swap out the stem for me FOC as it was too long ............ seriously stick with it, once you get the bike you'll be happy, I've never read a bad report on a Canyon.

Both - but I was buying my bike last November / December - I got the answer phone a few times and the auto replies on email, but all in all with a bit of patience and some good conversations I got there and am very happy with the product .......... as an aside, they were happy to swap out the stem for me FOC as it was too long ............ seriously stick with it, once you get the bike you'll be happy, I've never read a bad report on a Canyon.

Thanks Frazzle. I've no worries about the end product, the reviews say it all. But I was all ready to go ahead and order , so just a little disappointed I couldn't get to speak to anyone in two call centres. And to be told they won't be taking calls for the foreseeable future is a little disheartening. E mail with a 3 day response time is worse than the civil service.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TiBoy

Thanks Frazzle. I've no worries about the end product, the reviews say it all. But I was all ready to go ahead and order , so just a little disappointed I couldn't get to speak to anyone in two call centres. And to be told they won't be taking calls for the foreseeable future is a little disheartening. E mail with a 3 day response time is worse than the civil service.

Canyon responded to my emails either on same day or next day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

My dealings with Canyon were all just ordering online & subsequent contact by email including when my bank initially stopped the payment cos they thought it was out of the ordinary. On Canyon's side all very prompt & satisfactory. Are you maybe just complicating things going by phone?

Ok so the delivery date for the Ultimate in size large has just jumped overnight from the end of June to mid august. However the medium and Xl size is still early July. Anybody can here with a Canyon tell me what size a 6foot 1.5 inch person should be riding? I just haven't got round to doing my measurements yet.
    I know it all depends on the individual measurements, so just looking for people's most likely opinions. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

I am 6 foot on the dot and have a medium. I would say the Large would be too big for you.

cheerspal wrote: »
    I am 6 foot on the dot and have a medium. I would say the Large would be too big for you.

Thanks. I just measured myself and the PPS system is saying I'm a medium which is a 56cm. I currently ride a 57 so I guess it's close enough.

cheerspal wrote: »

Darn it anyway. Just spoke to nice lady in Germany called Dina or Dana, and she told me based on my inseam measurement (85cm) I'd be better off going with a large frame, because if I went with a medium I would need the 120mm stem rather than the standard 100mm stem. She thinks in this scenario I would be better off going with the large frame with standard stem.
    So if I did go with the medium frame with long stem, would this change the bike to a more 'sit up and beg' sportive style position on the bike, with a larger than normal number of spacers? I would prefer a medium frame as I think they look better, but not if it changes the look to something more like the new Canyon Endurace which is more of a sportive geometry bike.
    Thanks in advance.

My new arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭torydiver

So if I did go with the medium frame with long stem, would this change the bike to a more 'sit up and beg' sportive style position on the bike, with a larger than normal number of spacers? I would prefer a medium frame as I think they look better, but not if it changes the look to something more like the new Canyon Endurace which is more of a sportive geometry bike.
    Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Would be other way round,
    With medium frame you would be lower down and more stretched with longer stem,
    Depends on what balance you want,
    Slightly more Aero or comfort

• Advertisement

torydiver wrote: »
    Thanks in advance.

Would be other way round,
    With medium frame you would be lower down and more stretched with longer stem,
    Depends on what balance you want,
    Slightly more Aero or comfort[/quote]

Thanks for that, but there's something I don't get about what you said above. Surely if you have a longer stem, then more of it will be showing and therefore you would need more spacers. And I also would have thought that with this setup, the handlebars would be higher up, so you would have to bend over less, so would be less stretched i.e. More like a sportive bike.

Ideally I would like to be somewhere in the middle, not too upright or slammed. Which from what I've read about the bike is the position you should be on this bike if you get the right size frame.

My new arrival

Well done Macbane. The yellow looks better in your photos than on the website. What size frame did you get? We're you happy with the customer service, any issues with delivery time setbacks? Let us know how it rides.

The other thing, if anybody can answer the question I had in the post directly above, it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Really nice looking bike Macbane!

Customer service all good - bout 2.5 week delivery, Only got it out for 30km so far (in bad rain ),extremely light , with the SRAM and sls wheels , force gearing is so precise. Rides well , takes a bit of getting used to stiff but taught back end would be stiffer , still early days. Will put my deep rims on for racing Thursday night and see how it goes , maybe better with bit more weight.

Customer service all good - bout 2.5 week delivery, Only got it out for 30km so far (in bad rain ),extremely light , with the SRAM and sls wheels , force gearing is so precise. Rides well , takes a bit of getting used to stiff but taught back end would be stiffer , still early days. Will put my deep rims on for racing Thursday night and see how it goes , maybe better with bit more weight.

Sorry it's a small , good fit I'm just shy of 5.9

Sorry it's a small , good fit I'm just shy of 5.9

Mmmm...I was thinking it looks nice and compact alright. Tasty.

2.5 weeks is very quick. Was that the estimated delivery time when you
    put in the order?

In stock when ordered , but takes while for processing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭furiousox

Sorry it's a small, good fit I'm just shy of 5.9

What stem did they give you, 90mm or 100mm?

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    What stem did they give you, 90mm or 100mm?

100mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Thanks for that, but there's something I don't get about what you said above. Surely if you have a longer stem, then more of it will be showing and therefore you would need more spacers. And I also would have thought that with this setup, the handlebars would be higher up, so you would have to bend over less, so would be less stretched i.e. More like a sportive bike.

Stem length determines how far out in front of the steerer tube the bars are, not the height.

Advertisement