Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon ultimate cf sl 9 or Focus Cayo Evo 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 smiggyontour

tamaskan wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Any photos of your bike? Is it the SL or the SLK?

Any photos?
    Ill stick some up when the Germans get the finger out and ship it out
    Website said it was in stock but as soon as I ordered it the shipping date jumped to week 19 which is next week then it's 5 to10 days to arrive here after that
    Hopefully it will be worth the wait

• Registered Users Posts: 46 smiggyontour

Thanks for that. Any photos of your bike? Is it the SL or the SLK?

Sorry I ordered the SL 9.0

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tamaskan

Sorry I ordered the SL 9.0

Unbelievable what you can get for €1999. The wait sound ridiculous. Congratulations. It'll be fantastic I'm sure, especially when u look at what's available at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thekidfrom69

Ultimate CF SL 9.0 SL being delivered tomorrow, waiting since end of January but this was made clear when ordering, however think that the current wait time is much lower.

Ultimate CF SL 9.0 SL being delivered tomorrow, waiting since end of January but this was made clear when ordering, however think that the current wait time is much lower.

You won't get much sleep tonight. Stick some photos up when u get it please. After you take it for a spin of course. I can't wait to hear all about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

I bought a Canyon this year, I went from a Trek Madone to the CF SLX (same geometry as the CF SL), I have to say it was the single best bike decision I ever made ............ the Canyon ride well over distance, climb especially well (compared to anything I had before), the spec is outstanding value including the frame and seems euro for euro spectacular value ..............

The only slight downside I found was that their PPS system for sizing is c*ap ............ however if you talk to them in UK Sales office and tell what you ride currently they will put you on the right bike, then just get it fitted correctly at a good bike shop for spot on position ............. I find Dom in Base2Race excellent !

Finally - never EVER buy a bike that you dont like the look of !!!!!!!!

Absolutley Finally - check the outlet page and see if you can get a better deal .............

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Canyon CF SL 9.0 should be here early next week! Will post a pic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ken1975

Another thing I've heard is that the Canyon isn't the most comfortable over long distances. BikeRadar even say the Canyon Ultimate AL is more comfortable than it carbon brother. Anyone?

As Karl Pilkington would say ..."Bullsh*t"

I ride an Aeroad CF 7, many a race over 120km and several spins over 160km mark. No noticable vibration transfer to any part of my body, and I suffer from a dodgy C6, C7 and T1 vertibrae after an old biking accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

Same as the post above my CF SLX 7.0 is perfect on long spins of 120km's - I dont need or have the desire to ride any further - the CL is a softer frame and would imagine even more comfortable ...................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

zindicato wrote: »
    same as that one ill post a link to his fb page he's from the other side of the border great ol filipino chap
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202339482903149&set=pb.1074360908.-2207520000.1398798930.&type=3&theater

Buy focus dont listen to other branders ;)

• Advertisement

Ah lads, I had my mind made up to get the Focus for 2 reasons, but now you're after confusing me.
    Reason 1: I could never go back to my lbs with the canyon. It would feel like I was taking the piss a bit. Also if something goes wrong with the Focus, the Lbs will sort it out.

2: I thought the Canyon might be a bit stiff for 140km+ sportives, but from what somebody was saying above, that's not necessarily true. Besides, I currently ride an Aluminium steed, and never really feel uncomfortable, though it's far from a magic carpet ride.

Ah well, if this is the biggest problem in my life right now, I'm not doing too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Comfort is for wussbags - get the Canyon. :pac:

ror_74 wrote: »
    Comfort is for wussbags - get the Canyon. :pac:

And what about my poor lbs? Has nobody around here have any sympathy for the grease monkeys of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭macbane66

Do the canyon cohort out there think a small in the cf or cf slx range at 537tt is an accurate reflection in reality? Have been riding a cube gtc 531tt for past few years, 5ft 9. Have given couple of lbs a Craic at getting a good deal but canyon r hard bet IMO

You lbc probably makes most of its money from servicing so they will be happy to take any bikes in.

Get the Canyon, my mate said it was like he was being pulled alone when he had it for a 150k spin at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭furiousox

cheerspal wrote: »
    ..my mate said it was like he was being pulled alone.....

:eek:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ken1975

macbane66 wrote: »
    Do the canyon cohort out there think a small in the cf or cf slx range at 537tt is an accurate reflection in reality? Have been riding a cube gtc 531tt for past few years, 5ft 9. Have given couple of lbs a Craic at getting a good deal but canyon r hard bet IMO
    Im 5ft 10, I ride a Small Aeroad which has a 541 or 545tt with a 100mm stem. No complaints. I remember measuring tt when I got it and it was what they said it was. Hope this helps

furiousox wrote: »
    :eek:

True story

And what about my poor lbs? Has nobody around here have any sympathy for the grease monkeys of the world?

LBS does a brisk trade servicing mine. Does a much better job.

LBS does a brisk trade servicing mine. Does a much better job.

Fair play to you. Had you a good look over what he was offering before u decided on the Canyon ? How did he take it.?
    If anyone thinks I'm being a bit over the top about the Lbs, please let me know.

"Does a much better job" than who... You?
    That's the other thing, bar the bare essentials maintenance , there's not much servicing I can do to a bike.

• Advertisement

Fair play to you. Had you a good look over what he was offering before u decided on the Canyon ? How did he take it.?
    If anyone thinks I'm being a bit over the top about the Lbs, please let me know.

"Does a much better job" than who... You?
    That's the other thing, bar the bare essentials maintenance , there's not much servicing I can do to a bike.

I did, had a Giant for a few years so wanted something else besides all those. Took it ok I guess - didn't have any hankies with me when I broke it to him ! Might be a bit awkward in a smaller town alright. Ive a mate in Waterford who won't buy online because of the friction it would cause with his LBS ( who's a friend of his sisters boss etc etc..) . I can see that being a factor in smaller communities.

Than me, yeah. I do it, but it takes a day to do a full service properly. Easier just to leave it around in the morning and collect in the evening - I live very close and am badly organised.

I did, had a Giant for a few years so wanted something else besides all those. Took it ok I guess - didn't have any hankies with me when I broke it to him ! Might be a bit awkward in a smaller town alright. Ive a mate in Waterford who won't buy online because of the friction it would cause with his LBS ( who's a friend of his sisters boss etc etc..) . I can see that being a factor in smaller communities.

Than me, yeah. I do it, but it takes a day to do a full service properly. Easier just to leave it around in the morning and collect in the evening - I live very close and am badly organised.

Badly organised? You haven't met me yet.
    It is a small enough community, but there is another bike mechanic in town who I could move my business to if I start to feel unwanted. That would be a shame though, as I like to go get my bits n' pieces from the lbs rather than from Wiggle (most of the time). Saying that though, when I got my Dura Ace C24's from the Lbs he not only price matched wiggle, he knocked a further €30 off. And they already had 30% (or so) off on wiggle. And the guilty feelings return. Lol.

You could buy the frame & forks online and get the rest locally ?

You could buy the frame & forks online and get the rest locally ?

But could I get Ultegra group set included in the complete build for €2200?

But could I get Ultegra group set included in the complete build for €2200?

You could ask them what they could do, might work out a bit extra.

You could ask them what they could do, might work out a bit extra.

Could be worth looking into. Thanks

Right, another question. The Canyon Cf SL 9.0 comes with Ultegra group set while the 8.0 comes with Campag Athena for €200 less. Apart from the 200 odd grams weight difference, any reason why Ultegra would be better, such as smoother gear changes, durability etc. or am I better off pocketing the €200.

Are Dura Ace C24 wheels even compatible with Campagnolo?
    Thanks again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Right, another question. The Canyon Cf SL 9.0 comes with Ultegra group set while the 8.0 comes with Campag Athena for €200 less. Apart from the 200 odd grams weight difference, any reason why Ultegra would be better, such as smoother gear changes, durability etc. or am I better off pocketing the €200.

Thanks again.

You'd have to change the free hub to got a campag cassette.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭Ryath

Thanks again.

It's personal preference the new 6800 ultegra is probably worth the extra money.
    Brian? wrote: »
    You'd have to change the free hub to got a campag cassette.

You can't get a campy freehub for shimano wheels. Shimano 11 speed cassetes will work with Campagnolo 11 speed so if your c24's will take an 11 speed shimano cassette you can use them. If they're the older 10 speed shimano you can't change the hub to use 11 speed.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    It's personal preference the new 6800 ultegra is probably worth the extra money.

You can't get a campy freehub for shimano wheels. Shimano 11 speed cassetes will work with Campagnolo 11 speed so if your c24's will take an 11 speed shimano cassette you can use them. If they're the older 10 speed shimano you can't change the hub to use 11 speed.

Thanks for that. The C24's are 2013 so they are 11speed compatible, so that's great news. I could afford the VCLS 2.0 post with the saving. Hmmmm.... More humming and hawing required.

Advertisement