Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anglo Trial - Read Mod Warning in First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

RTE saying that the judge directed the jury to disregard a lot of stuff :rolleyes:
    Now who appoints these judges again?
    People like this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Could you explain exactly what he did wrong? Do you even know or is it all just soapboxing?

Hiding multi million euro personal loans from audits and statements through cleverly times swaps with Iish Nationwde should have been a crime, if it turns out that it wasn't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Jumboman wrote: »
    Offences against the state act would be a start.

Would you be happy when he was acquitted of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I hope they now don't find out that it was all my doing.

Yikes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Its only justice if I like the result.

Otherwise I'll simply resort to ad homenim remarks about the individual followed by a nebulous ramble, that is based on my own fanciful narrative (you were there of course, even though you weren't, so you'd know) and not the evidence presented.

Please tell me where and when they burned all the evidence that could have been presented?

End of line.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

thebaz wrote: »
    I suppose bankrupting the state is doing no wrong

The state isn't bankrupt though? Why are you sensationalising?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Candie wrote: »
    I know exactly what he was saying.

People are very selective in how they take a legal verdict. A guy found not guilty of rape would have every sympathy and probably calls for his accuser to be sent to prison by many of the people on this thread.

No one gives Fitzpatrick that kind of consideration, but his not guilty verdict is every bit as valid as anyone elses for any other crime.

But you have to temper that with the fact that it wasn't a unanimous verdict. I get your point though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

"This wouldn't happen in America"

Given that the financial industry employs probably hundreds of times more employees in the US, that the losses were much greater there and that they had a much greater social impact (loss of houses and jobs was greater than in Ireland) I wonder can you give us figures on the amount of bank executives locked up in the US? Post 2008 crisis?

I think you'll find you probably have more fingers on one hand than there are bankers locked up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Seriously, you should have presented your evidence sooner, then the court could have used it.

I wish to God I could - but our legal system is a pompous law onto itself -

the sad fact is that most of the legal judiciary are unaware of the amount of pain inflicted by Anglo and the Nationwide and AIB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Adamantium wrote: »
    Its only justice if I like the result.

Otherwise I'll simply resort to ad homenim remarks about the individual followed by a nebulous ramble, that is based on my own fanciful narrative (you were there of course, even though you weren't, so you'd know) and not the evidence presented.

Please tell me where and when they burned all the evidence that could have been presented?

End of line.

+1

The faux outrage here is hilarious. Fitzpatrick was a wreckless ****e, and he was an integral part of an institution which led to a downturn in our economy . He's probably not the nicest man but I'm not going to pretend like I'm in a better position than the jurors in this complex trial to decide on his innocence.

All the bar stool lawyers obviously think different though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

RTE saying that the judge directed the jury to disregard a lot of stuff :rolleyes:
    Now who appoints these judges again?

Judges have to tell juries to disregard testimony or items that would influence their judgement unfairly - past reputation for example, as people have the right to a fair trial and a fair trial is about particular charges and nothing else. It's their job.

What little I did hear about this on the radio included a report that the judge instructed the jury not to try Fitzpatrick for the collapse of the banks and the end of the Celtic Tiger. I think that's fair enough and I think that's what has people so angry here - they're not getting the satisfaction of killing a scapegoat.

I wish to God I could - but our legal system is a pompous law onto itself -

the sad fact is that most of the legal judiciary are unaware of the amount of pain inflicted by Anglo and the Nationwide and AIB

that's not a fact. That's your opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Why do people throw this self-important ****e around?

We're not the only country in the world that bad things happen in

Is that supposed to make people feel better about it?
    That's just as dismissive as the good old Ireland comment.
    Fact is he was found not guilty.
    But ANYONE who sees this as a just verdict clearly hasn't felt any effects or repercussions of what he, and his cohorts actually did.

hang on , have we not just been released from an IMF bailout - was that not caused by Anglo, the Nationwide and AIB ?? - they bankrupted this state with sheer greed, and get off scott free - ****e em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Why shoudn't he direct the jury in what they should or shouldn't consider relevant? Thats the job, happens all the time in most trials.

Do we find out what, and why it was deemed as such, the disregarded evidence was? [/serious]

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

I feel physically sick after hearing this . The ordinary person screwed for wrongs these f..kers did and as expected the so called elite are untouchable!
    All I can say is the system is absolutely perverted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

c_man wrote: »
    Did Lee Adama present his closing case or something??

That speech was a great meditation on how law needs to work.
    One of the best moments in in that series.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

80bn euro bank debt. It is bamkrupt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I am pie wrote: »
    "This wouldn't happen in America"

Given that the financial industry employs probably hundreds of times more employees in the US, that the losses were much greater there and that they had a much greater social impact (loss of houses and jobs was greater than in Ireland) I wonder can you give us figures on the amount of bank executives locked up in the US? Post 2008 crisis?

I think you'll find you probably have more fingers on one hand than there are bankers locked up there.

The DOJ decided they were too big to jail. Compare with the Junk bond traders in the 80's or Enron. You are right though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Heres what should of happened deserve-to-be-shot.jpg

• Advertisement

comewatmay wrote: »
    80bn euro bank debt. It is bamkrupt

being in debt doesn't equate to being bankrupt. Not that hard to grasp really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I suppose bankrupting the state is doing no wrong

But he didn't.

Shoot them?

Frankly that's pretty disgusting and barbaric

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

The pain they have caused people in this country is crazy.

A shooting would be too good for that scumbag.

Deserves to rot the rest of his days in jail but sadly that won't happen.

Hopefully the media hound his every move and make living in Dublin for him very uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

He walked into a restaurant in Greystones before the trial and the whole place got up and left, haha, hopefully the shunning continues!

It won't, it will be a matter of weeks before his pals like 'Mammy' in RTE have Seanie on their shows to complete his rehabilitation. The financial meltdown was like the Omagh bombing, and Monaghan and Dublin bombings, the Sophie Toscan du Plantier murder etc.etc. nobody was responsible... what a country.

Given the attitude of some on this thread about the verdict - while admitting that they don't themselves fully understand the case (I don't either) - did the jury? It took them 13.5 hours - hardly a sign that they were of a single mind. There would have been more chance of a conviction if the trial had taken place in front of a judge or panel of judges.

that's not a fact. That's your opinion

sadly some peoples opinions are more valuable than others , particularly those down at the Law Library

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The DOJ decided they were too big to jail. Compare with the Junk bond traders in the 80's or Enron. You are right though.

The DOJ did not decide they were too big to fail, certainly this was not a DOJ decision, more of a Treasury/Reserve decision.

Note, the insurance company at the centre of the storm paid the US people back at a profit. It is now 100% debt free to the US people, so it was undeniably a good idea to bail them out on a P&L basis alone. Loss would be greater, instead they made a profit.

Be nice if some Irish companies were forced to do likewise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But he didn't.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Is the implication of the judgement that the regulator knew what was happening and did nothing to stop it?. If so then his actions had official approval, and he cannot be held responsible for what happened as a result of his actions.

This is an own goal of spectacular proportions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

hardly a sign that they were of a single mind.

True - it was a majority verdict, not unanimous.

Also, everyone should bear in mind that they have yet to reach a verdict on the other two in the dock.

Advertisement