Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anglo Trial - Read Mod Warning in First post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

BazPM wrote: »
    It can be googled quite easily mate. Can you not be so arrogant as to accuse anyone who is annoyed at his aquittal of being ignorant? Please and thanks

why don't you tell me why he should have been convicted and what crimes he committed then?

I was following the trial and found it very hard to grasp. If anything I'm ignorant myself. Hence why I'm wondering where all the outrage stems from

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

We didn't have the laws, we don't have the regulators , the DPP was obsessed with showboating and the only positive to be gleaned from this charade is the intelligence of the jury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Banana Republic, Septic Isle.
    I'm not sure that term means what you think it means...way to downplay a whole country to a buzz word though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Stargate wrote: »
    " FitzPatrick did not react as the verdict was read."

He did react. He looked back at his family and gave them a wink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Whatever the flaws of juries, thank god its not 'rule by mob' (judging by the posts here!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

Candie wrote: »
    This exemplifies everything wrong with the opinions of the majority on this thread.

What do you think should happen? That people should be convicted on inadequate evidence just because the world out there thinks they should be? Regardless of the evidence and facts in court?

If there was sufficient evidence for a conviction in court, on the charges, he'd be convicted. There wasn't, so he wasn't. That's how the legal system works.

At least he wasn't convicted unsafely on the back of public opinion, because that would be a far blacker day for justice than this is.

It's because idiots like you see no wrong that people think its ok to do what Fitzpatrick and Anglo Irish bank did.

Same think old sit back and do nothing Ireland. Fitzpatrick laughing all the way to the bank.

It's laughable

Do ye think this would happen in Amaeroca?

Not a chance

Enron

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Who's worse, Fitzie or John Gilligan?

comewatmay wrote: »
    Local councillors are part of the government of this country. For want of a better word they are part of the 'system' which allows this stuff to go on.

If I vent my anger at local politicians maybe them just maybe the message may go to the government and future governments that the Irish people are angry

You're completely wrong. Local councillors have nothing to do with legislating for the courts. Shout at your councillor about him getting off if you like, but you'll just come across as a dick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Jumboman wrote: »
    Are those people on the jury completely thick ?:mad:

I think its now time for a revolution.

Yeah, let's revolt against our fellow members of the public. Civil War is what you're advocating ? Our last one didn't work out too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Candie wrote: »
    Is that the position you'd take if someone walked free from a rape trial?

He was found not guilty, it's incumbent on society to abide by the decision of the court. It's not for the interested amateur in AH to second guess the legal process and declare him guilty anyway.

If he broke no laws, he's not guilty. That probably means the laws need looking at, but he's still not guilty of the charges brought.

I think what the poster was saying was that he was found not guilty. This does not mean that he was found innocent. It just means that they couldn't prove his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. There is a difference. Especially seeing as it was only a majority verdict and not a unanimous one.

I think in some courts (like in Scotland) you can be found innocent as opposed to not guilty. This is not the case in Ireland.

• Advertisement

comewatmay wrote: »
    I
    Do ye think this would happen in Amaeroca?

where!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Good ol' Gombeen Land, hope those whom emigrated keep in touch with this stuff if they're thinking of coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

kippy wrote: »
    Was anyone really expecting a different outcome in this case?

Nope.

Not when you examine the Mickey Mouse case put up against him.

You're completely wrong. Local councillors have nothing to do with legislating for the courts. Shout at your councillor about him getting off if you like, but you'll just come across as a dick

Takes one to know one!

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Nope.

Could you explain how it was a mickey mouse case and how it should have been stronger?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

what a great legal system we have - great for the accused - terrible for any victims - the most revealing outcomes about Anglo , have come from America , our pompous legal system once again provides nothing but dollars for the well heeled close knit legal fraternity up at the law library. Bravo

where!

Are you thick?

Obviously it's a misspelled word. Meant America

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

To the people saying that they're "embarrassed for the country". Could you give me a synopsis of why he should of been convicted and what charges he should have been convicted on. Please and thanks

In reality this was a hugely complex trial. It took the bones of three months and only the jurors would have been in a place to understand exactly what they were deciding on

Apparently at least one person on the jury believed he was guilty. What I don't understand is, he was the chairman of the bank, Meaning he was the authority responsible for those working below him, including Drumm. Whatever Drumm was doing ultimately is the responsibility of Fitzpatricks, is pleading ignorant really an acceptable defense?

If my wife tells me she paid the water charges, the tv license and the property tax and it's all in my name. Can I get off any charges by claiming she was meant to take care of that? How can he not be responsible? Should Obama or any other head of a country be able to wash their hands of all responsibility for something claiming one of their cabinet was in charge of that?

Takes one to know one!

fantastic, intelligent retort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I'm not sure that term means what you think it means...way to downplay a whole country to a buzz word though.

I'm well aware, I live in the
    corrupt police, politician, priest ridden kip.

• Advertisement

People need to understand the man is 100% guilty of doing wrong regardless of what the jury say.

He is not however guilty of breaking Irish law. This needs to be changed.

The man is still scum and did wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

The smirk on him reading his statement on Six One. Needs to be thrown in a pit for the rest of his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Nope.

What Mickey Mouse case was that now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

SMH - but nor surprised.

Perhaps the trial should have been judge-only and not jury-led? I don't know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

If anything I'm ignorant myself.

+1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

eviltwin wrote: »
    What next for him I wonder? I hope he cuts his losses here and fecks off overseas, I would like to think no one will touch him given his reputation but in this country you never know.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, I heard he got a standing ovation in the law library a few years back. He has already been working on his own in consultancy for the last while and from what I hear he has all the work he wants around Dublin. He won't need to be leaving Ireland, Fitzpatrick gave plenty of powerful people the opportunity to make themselves multi millionaires, some achieved it, some went bust, but they don't blame him for anything.

fantastic, intelligent retort

Nibble nibble :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Takes one to know one!

So if you think Sean Fitzpatrick is a dick, that therefore makes you a dick?

Makes sense.

+1 :D

what's your own take on the matter? Can you explain it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Does any1 else the small irony in this not guilty verdict on the same say that the water charge estimination came out on a scheme being pushed by the troika

Advertisement