Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anglo Trial - Read Mod Warning in First post

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Valetta wrote: »
    What money did these two men steal?
    They stole money from investors when they benefited from an illegal financial instrument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

so it was monopoly money they were playing with was it?

I take it you can't answer the question, then?
    Dan_Solo wrote: »
    They stole money from investors when they benefited from an illegal financial instrument.

They didn't steal any money from investers, and as far as I am aware they didn't benefit from any "illegal financial instrument", whatever that is.

They didn't steal any money from investers, and as far as I am aware they didn't benefit from any "illegal financial instrument", whatever that is.
    If you don't know or don't care that buying your own shares to keep your stock price up (with the gains you get for that) is illegal then there isn't really much point talking to you about this.

If you don't know or don't care that buying your own shares to keep your stock price up (with the gains you get for that) is illegal then there isn't really much point talking to you about this.

Can you show that the share price increased, or even stayed the same, as a result of these loans being made?

Because as far as I am aware the plan failed spectacularly and the two men made nothing out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Can you show that the share price increased, or even stayed the same, as a result of these loans being made?

Because as far as I am aware the plan failed spectacularly and the two men made nothing out of it.

If you break into a bank machine and it is empty you are still guilty of a crime

• Advertisement

So attempted crime isn't a crime at all now? Must have missed that minor change to the law of the land myself.

marienbad wrote: »
    If you break into a bank machine and it is empty you are still guilty of a crime

Of course, and they were found guilty.

The point was made above that they stole public money, which is incorrect.

So attempted crime isn't a crime at all now? Must have missed that minor change to the law of the land myself.

Where did I say that?

Of course it's a crime and they were tried and found guilty.

Where did I say that?

Of course it's a crime and they were tried and found guilty.
    You claimed the share price needed to increase for it to be a crime, which was their illegal intention whether it worked or not.
    Point about the public money taken, though it eventually did cost many billions in public money.

You claimed the share price needed to increase for it to be a crime, which was their illegal intention whether it worked or not.
    Point about the public money taken, though it eventually did cost many billions in public money.

I never claimed any such thing.

• Advertisement

Er, right here?

Er, right here?

I never claimed it wasn't a crime.

You just imagined that bit.

I never claimed it wasn't a crime.

You just imagined that bit.
    So you agreed it was a crime and just responded with that stuff about the share price not actually going up to shoot the breeze. OK. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I think this post from a previous poster summed it up well

"if your boss told you to do something and you checked with an international institution that you were doing it correctly and even the government came in and told you everything was legal. Then a few years later the government came back and told you what you did was actually illegal despite our advice and now we're sending you to jail, would that be fair?"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

To those suggesting that the lack of a jail sentence is fair and just here, let's put it in perspective:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/more-than-400-people-jailed-for-not-paying-tv-licence-last-year-629312.html
    More than 400 people jailed for not paying TV licence last year

Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 01:00 PM

The number of people jailed for failing to pay their TV licence increased by more than 50% last year.
    A total of 411 people were sent to prison for the offence in 2013, compared to 272 for 2012.
    Six years ago, just 49 people were jailed.

Brendan Hennessy from St Vincent De Paul's Social Policy believes the punishment is too harsh for the crime.
    “People on low income need payment plans and so on that make things like a TV licence affordable, even it’s over a longer term”
    “Government needs to recognise the vulnerability of so many people who, since the recession, have found themselves in a situation that was not of their making, who would like to do their best, but often can’t.”

One rule for the establishment, etc. :mad:

To those suggesting that the lack of a jail sentence is fair and just here, let's put it in perspective:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/more-than-400-people-jailed-for-not-paying-tv-licence-last-year-629312.html

Does it really need to be pointed out that these people did not go to jail for not paying their TV licenses.

They went to jail for failing to comply with a court order, which is a very serious offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Does it really need to be pointed out that these people did not go to jail for not paying their TV licenses.

They went to jail for failing to comply with a court order, which is a very serious offence.

and what these two did isn't ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Looks like there's 3 rules :-

1 - get off Scot free
    2 - slap on the wrist
    3 - full rigour of the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I think this post from a previous poster summed it up well

"if your boss told you to do something and you checked with an international institution that you were doing it correctly and even the government came in and told you everything was legal. Then a few years later the government came back and told you what you did was actually illegal despite our advice and now we're sending you to jail, would that be fair?"

I think you will find they said it does not seem to be illegal totally different The regulator gave no other information than a quick Google could have shown. And again the solicitor says he was never asked about the maple 10 so gave no positive legal advice on that.

This. A million times over.

People bringing up TV licences make me cringe. Nobody has ever been jailed for not paying their tv licence in the history of the state. The worst punishment ever received for not paying your tv licence was a fine.

Now, not paying a court ordered fine? That's a very serious offence. If you're not going to treat the courts with respect then what else are you liable to do?

• Advertisement

People bringing up TV licences make me cringe. Nobody has ever been jailed for not paying their tv licence in the history of the state. The worst punishment ever received for not paying your tv licence was a fine.

Now, not paying a court ordered fine? That's a very serious offence. If you're not going to treat the courts with respect then what else are you liable to do?

It still comes down to being jailed over a crime invocing a couple of hundred euro, and not being jailed over a crime involving a couple of hundred thousand euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

All that's missing from your post is the word Terrorist.

It still comes down to being jailed over a crime invocing a couple of hundred euro, and not being jailed over a crime involving a couple of hundred thousand euro.

The amount is irrelevant. How else do you punish a person that doesn't pay a court ordered fine? Issue them another fine? Obviously that doesn't bother them, so what you need to do is give them a stronger punishment so they get the picture.

If the Anglo guys receive a fine and the proceed to not pay it then they should by all means go to jail. And they would be sent to jail if that was the case.

The amount is irrelevant. How else do you punish a person that doesn't pay a court ordered fine? Issue them another fine? Obviously that doesn't bother them, so what you need to do is give them a stronger punishment so they get the picture.

If the Anglo guys receive a fine and the proceed to not pay it then they should by all means go to jail. And they would be sent to jail if that was the case.

A fine of 5k or less is a ridiculous punishment for these guys, as is community service. You think that's any kind of deterrent?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Not half as serious as what these two did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Not half as serious as what these two did.

That seems to be the reply for a lot of things....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Wompa1 wrote: »
    That seems to be the reply for a lot of things....

Yes stating the obvious it may be but it needs to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

steddyeddy wrote: »
    People have killed themselves over the financial devastation brought about by these criminals and others. Not good enough that they get away scot free.

+1

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

smurgen wrote: »
    No they didn't ,if you commit fraud in the US you get jail

Don't be so naive. They fined big companies but nobody goes to jail.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    The problem is these guys are scapegoats, they should have got some jail time but they're about as responsible for the overall state of affairs as their secretaries. The people responsible in banking management and our own government, the people that allowed this to happen, are slipping out the back door while we're directing all our mab anger at two pawns.

The 2 crooks in question were a lot more than mere pawns. I agree though that there are a lot more that should be jailed with them - for a very long time.

Advertisement