Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anglo Trial - Read Mod Warning in First post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

comewatmay wrote: »
    It's because idiots like you see no wrong that people think its ok to do what Fitzpatrick and Anglo Irish bank did.

Same think old sit back and do nothing Ireland. Fitzpatrick laughing all the way 7 the bank.

It's laughable

Do ye think this would happen in Amaeroca?

Not a chance

Enron

So the legal system shouldn't take the law into account now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

It's because idiots like you see no wrong that people think its ok to do what Fitzpatrick and Anglo Irish bank did.

Same think old sit back and do nothing Ireland. Fitzpatrick laughing all the way to the bank.

It's laughable

Do ye think this would happen in Amaeroca?

Not a chance

Enron

It's because people like you completely misread intelligent posts that the thread gets out of hand.

This is why we can't have nice chats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Whatever about the Maple 10, it was the annual hiding of his massive corporate loans to himself which should have been illegal. Evidently it wasn't so he can't be prosecuted for it, but do you see any sign of the government changing the law so it can't happen again?

*crickets*

Ah he is facing trial on those in a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The mods will be on overtime with this one.
    Good news for the tax man though I guess.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

People need to understand the man is 100% guilty of doing wrong regardless of what the jury say.

He is not however guilty of breaking Irish law. This needs to be changed.

The man is still scum and did wrong.

In fairness, nobody on here has been saying he did nothing wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Laws probably need to be changed.

Yeah, or as I said before, "going forward, we must review the rules and make certain this never happens again" - i.e be grand. Do nothing, move on. Good old Ireland. No-one is accountable for anything. If he'd sent a nude selfie to his secretary there'd have been war. We have odd morals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Who are his two special friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Could you explain how it was a mickey mouse case and how it should have been stronger?

If it could have been made stronger, I'm pretty sure the prosecution would have facilitated it.

As for the Mickey Mouse aspect, perhaps you should look to the role of the Financial Regulator in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

Watching him on 6ome there. Absolutly sickening.

Wants curtesy? F*uck sake. He should be hounded out of the country by the media.

He broke no law but he did very wrong.

The jury judged him on legislation from 1963!!!!

Makes my blood boil this.

In fairness, nobody on here has been saying he did nothing wrong.

Plenty have been saying it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Yeah, or as I said before, "going forward, we must review the rules and make certain this never happens again" - i.e be grand. Do nothing, move on. Good old Ireland. No-one is accountable for anything. If he'd sent a nude selfie to his secretary there'd have been war. We have odd morals.

Why do people throw this self-important ****e around?

We're not the only country in the world that bad things happen in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Yeah I can accept that a jury found him not guilty, and that's the bottom line. But I don't have to be happy about it, really kinda sticks in the throat.

Watching him on 6ome there. Absolutly sickening.

Wants curtesy? F*uck sake. He should be hounded out of the country by the media.

He broke no law but he did very wrong.

The jury judged him on legislation from 1963!!!!

Makes my blood boil this.

Could you explain exactly what he did wrong? Do you even know or is it all just soapboxing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Who's worse, Fitzie or John Gilligan?

The latter.

FFS.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Plenty have been saying it

Any examples?

I think most will agree that his behaviour was unethical and perhaps immoral, I certainly do. However. I have no issues with the judgement today. He broke no laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

He walked into a restaurant in Greystones before the trial and the whole place got up and left, haha, hopefully the shunning continues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Laws probably need to be changed.

...fucking beyond me. I thought they were going to charge him with trading in a reckless manner and get off, so when he got hit with these, I was more optimistic he'd be convicted. It's like he recorded himself shooting somebody in the head, was recorded recording it and doing it, and was cleared of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

What exact crime should he have been convicted of?

Offences against the state act would be a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

It looks like there was no law to break here and retrospective laws are a disaster. Maybe this trial shouldn't have happened and the other trial on illegal loans should have.

Could you explain exactly what he did wrong? Do you even know or is it all just soapboxing?

He gave loans to people to buy shares in a bank which inflated the share price. People purchased shares in this bank thinking it was more liquid than it was.

That is what he did wrong. Not illegal but wrong.

• Advertisement

joeguevara wrote: »
    I think what the poster was saying was that he was found not guilty. This does not mean that he was found innocent. It just means that they couldn't prove his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. There is a difference. Especially seeing as it was only a majority verdict and not a unanimous one.

I think in some courts (like in Scotland) you can be found innocent as opposed to not guilty. This is not the case in Ireland.

I know exactly what he was saying.

People are very selective in how they take a legal verdict. A guy found not guilty of rape would have every sympathy and probably calls for his accuser to be sent to prison by many of the people on this thread.

No one gives Fitzpatrick that kind of consideration, but his not guilty verdict is every bit as valid as anyone elses for any other crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

RTE saying that the judge directed the jury to disregard a lot of stuff :rolleyes:
    Now who appoints these judges again?

He walked into a restaurant in Greystones before the trial and the whole place got up and left, haha, hopefully the shunning continues!

that's def not true. As much as you probably want to believe it. Majority of the population wouldn't even recognise him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

The jury judged him on legislation from 1963!.

Law cant keep up with business or technology. Its completely outdated when it comes to white collar crime.

Anonymous should base themselves in Ireland as the worst jail term theyd face is 1 year.

RTE saying that the judge directed the jury to disregard a lot of stuff :rolleyes:

Have you ever been to a court before? Happens in every case

Are you suggesting that it's a conspiracy?

Fitzpatrick doesn't appoint judges btw

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I suppose bankrupting the state is doing no wrong

Why shoudn't he direct the jury in what they should or shouldn't consider relevant? Thats the job, happens all the time in most trials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Attempted to boost his own shareprice.

thebaz wrote: »
    I suppose bankrupting the state is doing no wrong

Seriously, you should have presented your evidence sooner, then the court could have used it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

He gave loans to people to buy shares in a bank which inflated the share price. People purchased shares in this bank thinking it was more liquid than it was.

That is what he did wrong. Not illegal but wrong.

The DPP must have thought there was some illegality?

Advertisement