Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anglo Trial - Read Mod Warning in First post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

It was the verdict of the majority of the jury. Maybe he has different peers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Ah lads, what he did wasn't that bad, it's not like he was importing garlic labelled as apples...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Muise... wrote: »
    It was the verdict of the majority of the jury. Maybe he has different peers?

To be sure he has different peers. Ones who are as corrupt as sin and have plenty of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

rotten corrupt country:mad:

It was people like you and I that found him not guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

corkonion wrote: »
    This is a great result, it sends out a strong clear message that only the underclasses need fear justice in Ireland, don't forget to pay your water charges.

Oh the underclasses are always ok and probably won't be paying water charges.

Now the working and middle income classes. Pay those charges or jail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Who did he pay off this time. Ireland the land of corrupt Politicians, bankers and the "ah it will be grand" brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

Without getting in to the legal arguments and the evidence presented which most here haven´t heard.

It feels like another right hook to the face of the Irish people. But when as a people will we lose our temper and fight back?

Or are we too punch drunk to contemplate that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Whatever about the Maple 10, it was the annual hiding of his massive corporate loans to himself which should have been illegal.

He will face trial for that later in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

What can you saw about this without resorting to very course language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

" FitzPatrick did not react as the verdict was read."

Bet he couldn't stop pissing himself laughing with that verdict .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Majority not unanimous verdict. There was at least one trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

corkonion wrote: »
    This is a great result, it sends out a strong clear message that only the underclasses need fear justice in Ireland, don't forget to pay your water charges.

Quite the opposite.

Its extremely hard to get a conviction for anything in this country, and if you do then the sentence will probably be laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

As an aside aren't property taxes unconstitutional in any free democracy?

I thought the right to own your own property was an unalienble right (the one and only) for a human being.

Aren't you renting from the government of you have to pay them property taxes, so you don't own it. I mean you can't drive a house. It just sits there.

Common sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Stargate wrote: »
    " FitzPatrick did not react as the verdict was read."

Bet he couldn't stop pissing himself laughing with that verdict .

I can almost hear the corks popping on the champagne

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who expected anything different?
    There are no rich people in Mountjoy or any other prison in Ireland.
    Prisons are for the little men.

Roll on the Local Elections. Between the banking crisis and the extra taxes being forced on the people to pay for it FG and Labour are hopefully in for a battering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

nuxxx wrote: »
    Who did he pay off this time. Ireland the land of corrupt Politicians, bankers and the "ah it will be grand" brigade

Attitudes like that can't prevail when so many people are hurting. Our day will come but just not yet...not yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

Such is this world we have fashioned for ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Anyone actually surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

He will face trial for that later in the year.

Have there been charges in relation to that incident yet?
    To be fair, from what I gather the DPP received several volumes of gigantic files on Anglo from the Gardai, so it stands to reason that there may still be plenty of separate cases to come from that. I wouldn't be assuming he gets off scott free for the whole Anglo era just yet.

The real question now is whether either of his accused colleagues in this case will be convicted over the Maple 10 loans. If they aren't, then a clear message emerges that the Maple 10 deal was not in fact illegal - which gives the government a legislative blueprint for exactly what needs to be outlawed going into the future, to make sure nothing of this sort ever happens again.

If the other two are found not guilty, I suggest we as the Irish people refocus our anger towards the government and demand that they make the necessary legislative changes to outlaw any and all behavior along these lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Least surprising news ever. Probably tucking into a 50lb lobster and giant bottle of Dom as I type.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Sound, why throw this wonderful chap in a cell when there's lowly shams to be banged up?

Well, not exactly

Is that the position you'd take if someone walked free from a rape trial?

He was found not guilty, it's incumbent on society to abide by the decision of the court. It's not for the interested amateur in AH to second guess the legal process and declare him guilty anyway.

If he broke no laws, he's not guilty. That probably means the laws need looking at, but he's still not guilty of the charges brought.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Adamantium wrote: »
    As an aside aren't property taxes unconstitutional in any free democracy?

I thought the right to own your own property was an unalienble right (the one and only) for a human being.

Aren't you renting from the government of you have to pay them property taxes, so you don't own it. I mean you can't drive a house. It just sits there.

Common sense?

Property taxes don't prohibit you from owning property.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

this is what the silence of the majority of Irish people gets us!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It was people like you and I that found him not guilty.

Well, you and me, maybe, ThisRegard. I bet they screened that jury pool for every drop of flaming blaming and scapegoating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

rawn wrote: »
    Ah lads, what he did wasn't that bad, it's not like he was importing garlic labelled as apples...

Tax evasion is still tax evasion though. The garlic and apples referral tends to play down the actual seriousness of the crime.

Do many people really know enough about the law and the evidence in this case to really hold a valid opinion? I know I sure don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I do wonder how many internet-angry people here actually followed the trial or story at any close degree...this isn't a reflection on the verdict, rather some of the posts here from people I didn't imagine to be junior economists.

Oh, sorry, I was thinking there, feckin' country going down the hole! etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

rotten corrupt country:mad:

piss off and live somewhere else so. Simples

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 scamtown

rawn wrote: »
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mahou wrote: »
    Without getting in to the legal arguments and the evidence presented which most here haven´t heard.

It feels like another right hook to the face of the Irish people. But when as a people will we lose our temper and fight back?

Or are we too punch drunk to contemplate that?
    Again, it was the ordinary Irish people you speak of that found him not guilty.

Advertisement