Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Though you will see the dirt coming off on the wipes too. Especially dye transfer from jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction! A while back (I think on here) I came across a chart which showed menzerna polishes and how much cut etc they had along with the best combination for Hexlogic pads. I know I saved the pics of these charts but for the life of me I can't find them now. Can anyone point me in the right direction or where I might find something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

markc1184 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction! A while back (I think on here) I came across a chart which showed menzerna polishes and how much cut etc they had along with the best combination for Hexlogic pads. I know I saved the pics of these charts but for the life of me I can't find them now. Can anyone point me in the right direction or where I might find something similar?

This what you're looking for?;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92984276

Perfect thanks.

Howdy folks. Haven't posted here in a while. :(

My interest in detailing and minding my car hasn't waned, but the shed I used to keep the car in check has been full of sh*te since a half-finished gardening project last summer (shed was used for storing lengths of decking, carcassing timber, paving slabs, etc. etc. which made sense, but then as the summer rolled on I started taking stuff for the sake of it, from a kitchen place that was closing, so now the shed is full of wardrobes, sheets of MDF, etc. that I've no real use for, and should never have taken in the first place).

So I'm back to having the idea in my head of trying to clean the shed up and make it a bit more car friendly. What I'm gonna ask is, is there anyone here with a dedicated detailing space, and if so, how are ye organising your stuff? Last year when I was very into the detailing, I used to use a cheapo wardrobe from homestoreandmore to keep my gear in. Worked well, and was handy (and it's currently in their March promo if anyone wants to get one).

However, I've decided that a desk/work bench with storage is the best way forward. So was curious to see how others may be storing and organising their stuff? I was thinking of just making a desk with pigeon-hole style storage under it, and go from there, but not sure if there's a better or more convenient way of doing it.

This is the set up i had:

wardrobe.jpg

This is the rough idea of what I'm considering:

detailingdeskidea.jpg

(naturally, this was whipped up in 2 mins, so the angles in the pic make no sense, etc)

The hanging rails for hanging bottles on and the likes. Idea is to seperate things by their use (ie; a shelf for polishing/waxing, a shelf for wheels/tyres, a shelf for glass care, a shelf for basic bodywork, wash mitts, etc.) and then use the centre for throwing buckets and such under.

Anything obvious I'd be overlooking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I throw everything into an old cabinet. 2 buckets, vacuum, powerwasher and extension lead stacked oneside. Not something I'd put too much thought into!
    Once the car is clean, all motivation is lost so everything is horsed in anywhere out of the way!

Ah, I think I probably do put too much thought into it alright, but the shed is in tatters and if i just empty it and go back to a wardrobe situation (as above) I know i'll let more and more sh*te add up in the shed itself. Whereas if i spend a couple of euro and a lot of hours, and I tidy it all up, paint it, put down an 'anti fatigue' floor and build a dedicated desk to store everything, I'll be much pickier about the place and wont allow it to fall into disrepair again. :)

(That's the theory anyway!)

As it stands, this is how the place looks:

20160305_201056.jpg

And it's annoying me, cos I can't do anything with it like that. Even just getting the pressure washer outside is a job in itself. So I want a completely empty shed, with all my gear in one dedicated area (the wall to the left in the above photo). It'll be about a month before it's finished but i just thought it'd make sense now to get input on the best way to organise things so i can work on that going forward (rather than finishing it and posting a pic saying 'look at this' and everyone replies with "you know what would have been a better idea..".

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Ah, I think I probably do put too much thought into it alright, but the shed is in tatters and if i just empty it and go back to a wardrobe situation (as above) I know i'll let more and more sh*te add up in the shed itself. Whereas if i spend a couple of euro and a lot of hours, and I tidy it all up, paint it, put down an 'anti fatigue' floor and build a dedicated desk to store everything, I'll be much pickier about the place and wont allow it to fall into disrepair again. :)

(That's the theory anyway!)

As it stands, this is how the place looks:

20160305_201056.jpg

And it's annoying me, cos I can't do anything with it like that. Even just getting the pressure washer outside is a job in itself. So I want a completely empty shed, with all my gear in one dedicated area (the wall to the left in the above photo). It'll be about a month before it's finished but i just thought it'd make sense now to get input on the best way to organise things so i can work on that going forward (rather than finishing it and posting a pic saying 'look at this' and everyone replies with "you know what would have been a better idea..".

Know the feeling bought a long term project car there at start of year and garage is mass pile of parts and detail bits have been placed in various places that's an arse to get out :rolleyes:

My only suggestion to your design above is more tea and haribo is needed :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭cena

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That shed needs a work bench / counter top KKV. Some doors and presses, slap a few carcasses together and screw on a door and wallah a new press for all your drying towels and mitts, wash buckets etc.
    It's easy enough to do if you have the time and tools for cutting etc.

• Advertisement

I would go for drawers rather than shelves. It's easier to find things in a drawer. Otherwise clear plastic storage boxes on shelves works well too and keeps dust of your gear if you are doing other work in the garage. If you knew somebody changing their kitchen, 3 or 4 600mm base units and their worktop is a good thing to recycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Finally getting a proper kit together

IMG_20160307_192925_zpso1bghggc.jpg

IMG_20160307_192914_zpsz1ph3hww.jpg

Have a 206 in for an entire Exterior and Interior job, going to be fun at the weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Hi all.

I'm a bit of a stranger around these parts. But just have a question for ye.

I've started washing the car with car soap and a mitt by using the two bucket method. Then I give it a polish with auto glym. But I'm wondering is there any product that I could apply after the polish. Some sort of sealant.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

job seeker wrote: »
    Hi all.

I'm a bit of a stranger around these parts. But just have a question for ye.

I've started washing the car with car soap and a mitt by using the two bucket method. Then I give it a polish with auto glym. But I'm wondering is there any product that I could apply after the polish. Some sort of sealant.
    Thanks

I assume you are using AG SRP ? The one with the red label.

If so you could get yourself a bottle of AutoGlym EGP ( Gold Label)
    It is fine for the job it does if applied correctly.
    Alternatively you could step up your game and buy a few products that would further improve the quality of finish you could achive and give much longer protection without breaking the bank.

You could
    wash > De Iron > Rinse > Detar > Rinse > Clay > Rinse > Hand polish with somethig a little better than SRP to cleanse the paint > followed by 2 coats of Collinite 845. all in for probably less than €90 which would include some new MF cloths.
    would be a very satisfying result as well.
    And you would not need to be out polishing it so often
    Possibly top up the 845 3~4 times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

vectra wrote: »
    I assume you are using AG SRP ? The one with the red label.

If so you could get yourself a bottle of AutoGlym EGP ( Gold Label)
    It is fine for the job it does if applied correctly.
    Alternatively you could step up your game and buy a few products that would further improve the quality of finish you could achive and give much longer protection without breaking the bank.

You could
    wash > De Iron > Rinse > Detar > Rinse > Clay > Rinse > Hand polish with somethig a little better than SRP to cleanse the paint > followed by 2 coats of Collinite 845. all in for probably less than €90 which would include some new MF cloths.
    would be a very satisfying result as well.
    And you would not need to be out polishing it so often
    Possibly top up the 845 3~4 times a year.

What's a rinse consist of? Just like a wash minus the car shampoo?

job seeker wrote: »
    What's a rinse consist of? Just like a wash minus the car shampoo?

Just rinsing it down with a hose/power washer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Well, I finally got a Dual Action (thanks to Argos and the cheap dual action thread) but kinda stumped with pads and polishes. I know you start with the least strong you can get away with, and use a finishing pad at the end. The paints it would be used on would be modern VAG (black and silver), modern Fiat (silver and white), feckin' ancient (nearly all) Ford white.

Basically I'm looking for somebody to say what to get and what order to use. I'm hearing good things about Hex-Logic pads and was thinking of medium cut, medium and soft polish and fine finishing pads. Polishes I haven't a clue what to get.....

Some use the fine finishing pads with waxes. Is this acceptable to use the dual action on Collinite? I've almost a full bottle of it and I don't want to throw it out

So help me spend my money (stop rubbing your hands Curran!)

My advice will most likely get me hung, so take it with the grain of salt it deserves.

I've a DAS 6 Pro. I machine polished a Citroen Xsara (01), Renault Megane (03), Ford Focus (00), Toyota Rav 4 (04) and a Peugeot 206 (02) off the top of my head. So I've a little experience, but nothing noteworthy.

My opinion is that hex logic pads are a waste of time and for the work they do; are overpriced. I've had a few of them from starting off and replacing them (Not sure of the strengths, but I believe I've used orange, green, white, black, yellow and red pads).

I eventually ordered a microfiber one. Even though it still took an age to get anywhere, it was a lot faster than the hex pads. Now, I'm not saying hex pads don't work or anything, but I'm just saying that they're very slow to get anywhere. If you're very worried about damaging paint, they seem a safe bet (but I literally had to sand the paint off the Rav4 to do any damage.. that wasn't intentional, though.. woops :o ). I don't think it's really possible to damage paint (certainly not with a DAS6 anyway). Not unless you leave it in one place on the bonnet, on full power, and leave it overnight whilst you go to bed.

Also, to save you a bit more time, get Curran to give you the most aggressive polish he has. Unless your paint work is made of butter, you'll still be standing there thinking of all the things that went wrong in your life for long enough without using a laid back polish that doesn't want to do any work. :)

I love the novelty factor of starting new things and detailing was a bit thing for me as I hadn't a notion what was going on (and still don't a lot of the time), so had to be hand-held through it by the chaps on here; but when it came time to machine polish, I am pretty sure I could feel myself aging. :(

As I say, take my advice with a pinch of salt and all that, as the other lads here will know best, but my advice is to get the most aggressive pad and most aggressive polish combo that you can. And take pictures. Set the camera up on a tripod or such so you can see accurate before and afters. Otherwise you will convince yourself you've done nothing, when you've actually done loads, and vice versa. The pics don't lie :P

Here are two quick before and afters of the hex pads on the Rav4. You can see that they do indeed work, but they just take a long, long time, to get the desired results.

ravb4aftr.jpg

rav42.jpg

Hal1 wrote: »
    That shed needs a work bench / counter top KKV. Some doors and presses, slap a few carcasses together and screw on a door and wallah a new press for all your drying towels and mitts, wash buckets etc.
    It's easy enough to do if you have the time and tools for cutting etc.

Have the time but not the tools. Thankfully there's a local place called Hoeys who will cut for you if you give them a decent cutting list. They edge, too, so essentially it's like getting a flatpack from Ikea.

The hard part is the clearing out of the shed. No one on here needs a few MDF sheets or anything? I've 6 there are gonna be butchered tomorrow and there's not really anything wrong with them. Shame to waste them but I can't give them away (literally!).

*Kol* wrote: »
    I would go for drawers rather than shelves. It's easier to find things in a drawer. Otherwise clear plastic storage boxes on shelves works well too and keeps dust of your gear if you are doing other work in the garage. If you knew somebody changing their kitchen, 3 or 4 600mm base units and their worktop is a good thing to recycle.

Drawers do make more sense alright. Unfortunately I know not of anybody getting rid of their kitchen, but a few runners, handles and hinges won't cost the earth (I hope!). That Or I could just buy a drawer unit from Ikea and build a housing for it. That might actually be cheaper and easier... Hmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

you'll still be standing there thinking of all the things that went wrong in your life for long enough without using a laid back polish that doesn't want to do any work. :)

LOL :D

I do agree with you about the fact that it can often take a long time to get anywhere but you have to understand that anyone can buy these products without proving anything beforehand so it massively reduces the risk of damage to paint along with disappointment rather than just a bit of disappointment from not progressing fast.

I have quite a lot of experience with paint correction and the best advice I can give to anyone starting is that you need to get into the rhythm and technique with products that are slow acting before you try out aggressive polish/pad combos.

• Advertisement

Are you using a Dual Action, MM? Or are you in the Rotary end of things?

If Rotary, do you notice much difference in time? I have it in my head that I'm happy with the DAS6pro as I rarely use it, but I know as soon as I start using it again I'll be cursing myself for not flogging it and getting a rotary instead.

But if there's not much time to be saved I don't think I'd bother even considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I have a DAS6 Pro and a rotary. Haven't used the rotary much because it jumps all over the place with large pads on it.

My D/A Pro has gone through a fair whack of cars now, going to try out some new Microfiber pads on it to see how they are for cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Firstly to address machine polishing with a Dual Action polisher. I get the feeling that some people expect miracles within minutes just because you are using a machine. Paint correction doesnt come easy - why do you think a detailing job by a pro is so expensive....well two reasons, their skills, and their time. It simply doesnt happen in mintues. With a rotary polisher, a full paint correction, Ive been involved in 30+ hours of correction alone; thats not including the prep work, and the after wipe down, applying protection, and doing the glass, tyres and trim, etc.
    Now consider doing 30+ hours correction with a rotary, and remove the risk involved, and you are looking at 60+ hours to get the same results. You simply cant wave a magic wand and its done. Its not a matter of passing the polisher over an area once, and it comes up like new. The areas, say a 2ft x 2ft square requires the pad to pass over the surface area, at least 6 times in a 'set'. A pass to spread, 2 to heat up the polish, 3 to work and break down the polish and another to refine. So if you have a 6" pad, and you are supposed to overlap approx 30% of your previous pass, you'll pass the polisher back and forth 5 times, for one pass, and then 5 more times to complete the 'set' - that set with a DA is going to take a least two, if not three repeats before it can match what a rotary can do - can you imagine how long it takes now??? Thats before you stop to wash out pads that are caked in polish, and have a cuppa tea! ;) Now consider having to change to a 3" pad to do the smaller areas - change the backing plate, pad, work in the awkward to reach areas....detailing isnt fun sometimes, but when you are done, you can at least convince yourself that it was worth it! :D

Ian; give the large area you have to do, you wont have any interest in paint correction as such, perhaps Im assuming there...but you will be looking at enhancement - restoring the shine and gloss. Thats a quicker and easier process than paint correction I have outlined above. Essentially one 'set' with a finishing pad and polish will bring out the deep luster, gloss, etc, but defect will remain, but only obvious when up closer. Id consider maybe getting two or three finishing pads and a medium polish, and go with that; go after enhancement rather than correction, as with the sheer size, its the only realistic results, unless you've arms like Arnie and time of a retiree.

Looking at getting some new towels and microfibre cloths etc. Where is everyone getting theirs from? Anywhere doing any bulk deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

markc1184 wrote: »
    Looking at getting some new towels and microfibre cloths etc. Where is everyone getting theirs from? Anywhere doing any bulk deals?

I am sure if you emailed Detailingshed or D&D they could offer you a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

vectra wrote: »
    I am sure if you emailed Detailingshed or D&D they could offer you a deal.

Rag company is another option, they do decent deals sometimes. Depending day though and exchange rate maybe cheaper to get via USA rather than UK site. Would have cost me 20 euro more buying from UK time I did it, that mostly down to postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭cena

cena wrote: »

a great thing for getting claying done quickly, especially on large areas. its supposed to last longer than clay too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

cena wrote: »

Bought a few of them when they were 3 for 2! Great job actually!

Advertisement