Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

Lidl have this wet and dry vacuum back on Thursday. Does anyone here have
    any opinions on it. Not badly priced but dear if it's not up to the job.
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=36429

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

astraj wrote: »
    Lidl have this wet and dry vacuum back on Thursday. Does anyone here have
    any opinions on it. Not badly priced but dear if it's not up to the job.
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=36429

From my experience there specials are decent at doing job but dont last much longer than year 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Looking to replace the crappy garden hose I have, I went to give the car a quick wash and turned it on and it had a pin leak ten min later after cutting the bad section out its about 10ft shorter.

I'd be thinking Hozelock is the brand to go with this time or is there any other good brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Hozelock is expensive, but it is very good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Aye if your happy paying for quality Hozelock is right for you. Although you can make cheaper stuff last longer if you can keep in shed out of the cold helps.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies was in the local co op shop and they were doing a 30m starter kit from hoselock for 28euro think I'll try it.

Well Curran if you say its good that's good enough for me haha you haven't left me down yet.

Will be keeping it indoors in a boilerhouse so the temp should not fluctuate too much thanks for the tip.

Tomorrows job if I get a chance is to detar the car its really bad, roads round my way in north cork are full of temp fix on potholes and then try out the Built Hamber APC I bought from Detailing shed .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hozelock
    That is what I have with over 10 years.
    It is left out in all weather rolled on a reel.
    Excellent hose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Lads noob question here but what should i be using during detarring as an applicator or agitator. Is a microfibre ok for that job?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Did someone order some TarX???

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Did someone order some TarX???

And ironX......

This craic is shocking, if its not my car its some friend's car that i want to do just to see the turnaround :)

Cleaning an EGR valve on a Passat this friday and then doing a friends golf on sat, just so I can see the difference! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'll let some of the experienced posters here answer the questions you have about those products, I got great results but they may have better ways of using them.

They are expensive chemicals at €30/L, so you'll want to get the most out of them. I just sprayed them on the car/wheels, but think using an applicator would make the product go further as half of it blows away when spraying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

YbFocus wrote: »
    Lads noob question here but what should i be using during detarring as an applicator or agitator. Is a microfibre ok for that job?

You shouldn't need an agitator but whatever you use will be dumped afterwards because you sure as hell won't want to wash it.

I'll let some of the experienced posters here answer the questions you have about those products, I got great results but they may have better ways of using them.

They are expensive chemicals at €30/L, so you'll want to get the most out of them. I just sprayed them on the car/wheels, but think using an applicator would make the product go further as half of it blows away when spraying.

Well i was going to spray them on but if they need a bit of agitation is a clean MF cloth the way to go or is there something else out there :)

Just being slightly picky, not going mad now :D

You shouldn't need an agitator but whatever you use will be dumped afterwards because you sure as hell won't want to wash it.

Ah right you see I'm used to Autoglym up to now, where there was lots of work needed with their tar remover!
    Cool good to know this is going to be great stuff!

I haven't used TarX myself but I think it's more or less the same thing as Tardis which I use at the moment along with Gtechniq Tar remover. You should apply the TarX, leave it for the recommended time, wipe, reapply, wait, wipe until it's gone. You can do a lot of strenuous rubbing and get it off but why bother? You bought the product to do its job so let it do the job rather than you.

Awesome stuff man, from see VintageVRS's pics in the other thread it should be a doddle!

60025623.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tar x and those strong ones spray and let it do the work do not leave on or let dry.

Jet wash and repeat if needed.

Great stuff.

60025623.jpg

Best-Relatable-GIFS.gif?gs=a

Good quality tar removers, are spray on, let dwell, rinse off - should be no need for contact - in fact its il-advised as tar contains dirty and grit and you dont want to be wiping that across the surface of your paintwork. The odd time a large spot might need a bit of help, but to be avoided if possible.

TarX is a different product to Tardis - similar in look when its in a bottle and sprayed on, but the performance is in a different league!

• Advertisement

Curran wrote: »
    Good quality tar removers, are spray on, let dwell, rinse off - should be no need for contact - in fact its il-advised as tar contains dirty and grit and you dont want to be wiping that across the surface of your paintwork. The odd time a large spot might need a bit of help, but to be avoided if possible.

TarX is a different product to Tardis - similar in look when its in a bottle and sprayed on, but the performance is in a different league!

Cool Curran thanks man :)

Now just send me out my stuff ;)

Have the Tar X myself I ordered it but ran out of time yesterday to use it might get a chance Thursday if the weather improves.

Also got bilt hamber surfex HD for the interior car is heading for the garage next week and it needs a quick clean as a passenger dropped a can of coke on the dash gggr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭ratracer

Any opinions on Lidl's finest wet'n'dry vac?
    If anyone has one, are they any use? Tempted to try it, for the sake of €40

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/productPageFinder.xml?listId=718&articleId=36429&type=offerdatelist&productId=36429&countryCode=IE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

ratracer wrote: »
    Any opinions on Lidl's finest wet'n'dry vac?
    If anyone has one, are they any use? Tempted to try it, for the sake of €40

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/productPageFinder.xml?listId=718&articleId=36429&type=offerdatelist&productId=36429&countryCode=IE

I have one. I bought it 4 or 5 years ago. Its probably not to everyones liking, but it does the job I need it to do. The only issue I'd have with mine is the heads are a little big and awkward so they make getting into gaps difficult. Perhaps that has changed in the time since I bought one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

ratracer wrote:
    Any opinions on Lidl's finest wet'n'dry vac? If anyone has one, are they any use? Tempted to try it, for the sake of €40

Excellent for dry vacuuming, great suctioning power, and the fact there's no bag makes it all the better. Bent the plug on it last week, so had to use the mothers henry hoover. No comparison at all, Despite the price difference, the lidl one was far more powerful and had the nozzle that gets into most places. It's not great for the wet vac side of things though.

Can't recommend ironx and tarx enough. Her car rarely gets washed. Front wheels hadn't been washed in probably 5k miles.
    if0o7m.jpg

There is probably a better way of doing this but here's what I did and the result. Squirt of tarx on dirty wheel. Power hose off. Then a squirt of ironx. This is where that got me to:
    zkhf7n.jpg

Power hose again and here we are. I haven't touched the wheel and that was proper caked on crap on that wheel. Not a wheel that was inmaculate with some muck on top.

105cg1z.jpg

Not perfect but not too shabby considering how little I did and how bad it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

All these clean wheels look great.
    Question: I got my 20"s refurbed 2 years ago and because of a ridiculously narrow city centre car park entrance, I have a long 5" kerbing on each of the front wheels.

Is it possible for the likes of Wheel Wizards to just patch up a small area effectively, without paying to redo the whole wheel? The wheels are painted. My logic is I need two new front tyres soon, get the kerbing fixed and new tyres fitted at the same time.

Given the process that wheels go through with Wheel Wizards and the whole powdercoating process I wouldn't be sure if they can fix a small patch. Best off to give them a ring and ask.

I'd say it can be done but probably not to the standard you require! ;) And I mean that in the best way possible! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Aye I know what you mean. So sick, I think it was €650 for the lot last time, don't want to have to pay all over again! Had all 5 done up north and sterling rate was poor, but everyone charges a fair whack for 20"s.

Advertisement