Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Time for a Shine

25146034131_74eaae315d_h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭cena

http://www.autopia.ie/product/avalanche-snowfoam/

Any thoughts on this. 1l works out 15 with shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Im sure it would clean pretty well, but its not pH neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

SBPhoto wrote: »

:cool:

That looks very glossy.
    What did you use on it?
    Lovely car.

Thanks Vectra,
    Very pleased with the car, have it a year now and i put up 40k since, will change for 2017
    Washed with Bill Hamber Shampoo and dried with dry me crazy
    i coat of autoglym resin polish (which removed the tar spots) and two coats of Collinite 845.
    Korrossol on the wheels with a coat of collinite for sealant.
    Any advice on how to get rid of a shiny spot on the middle of my seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Use a leather cleaner or light apc and a soft cloth or soft bristled brush to remove the shiny spot. Leather gets shiny when dirty so don't think that it's worn already :)

Use a leather cleaner or light apc and a soft cloth or soft bristled brush to remove the shiny spot. Leather gets shiny when dirty so don't think that it's worn already :)

Thanks for the advice appreciated, its not leather part, its the cloth section where i sit.

Oh, I thought you had leather seats....oops! In that case I would suggest something like vanish on a soft cloth and just rub it gently.

Oh, I thought you had leather seats....oops! In that case I would suggest something like vanish on a soft cloth and just rub it gently.

And another dry white towel to dry it off.

Curran wrote: »
    Im sure it would clean pretty well, but its not pH neutral.

I heard back. They say it is ph neutral

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

SBPhoto wrote: »
    Time for a Shine

25146034131_74eaae315d_h.jpg

That seems ridiculously clean. Has it ever been driven? :D Tell me it's all filter!

MarkR wrote: »
    That seems ridiculously clean. Has it ever been driven? :DTell me it's all filter!

The username sort of hints to that. As does the colors :)
    Still .
    Looks great.

cena wrote: »
    I heard back. They say it is ph neutral

Poor wording on the product description then!
    Its says its
    'A mild, non-caustic, alkaline snowfoam'
    Which to me is a mild alkaline solution.

Poor wording on the product description then!
    Its says its

Which to me is a mild alkaline solution.

no harm giving it ago. they are in roscommon 10 min drive. May as well give it ago

Absolutely! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

If you were to get a bumper respray on a car, how long afterwards before a DA could be taking to it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you were to get a bumper respray on a car, how long afterwards before a DA could be taking to it ?

Leave a month be best but others may know better.

Approx a month before applying a wax or sealant, to allow the paint out gas. But for polishing, once its dry, pretty much - however you would need to remove the polishes from the surface to allow the fresh paint to complete the out gassing. So you'll need buff the area after polishing, and then also use an inspection spray or IPA to ensure you remove the polishing oil residue.

MarkR No filters just using the correct light, this was the shadow side of the car, which shows the shine better than direct sunlight.
    I am a photographer by trade. and the car has been driven 65K on it now, but is washed nearly every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Approx a month before applying a wax or sealant, to allow the paint out gas. But for polishing, once its dry, pretty much - however you would need to remove the polishes from the surface to allow the fresh paint to complete the out gassing. So you'll need buff the area after polishing, and then also use an inspection spray or IPA to ensure you remove the polishing oil residue.

I'll be getting it both painted and a 3 stage polish (and possibly some wet sanding) done professionally so I'm sure the guys doing the detail will probably know by looking at it whether it's too soon or not ?

• Advertisement

Well I assume whoever is painting it will actually be doing a certain amount of polishing post painting anyways - so it will be OK to polish once the car has been returned, but just to ensure the residue oils are removed to allow out gassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Question regarding pads with Machine polishers, my compounding pads seem to always come apart very easily, is it that I'm just applying that bit too much pressure to it? How much should you be applying when compounding say hard BMW/Audi paint?

What pads are you using? I find that they usually degrade over time.

Are you keeping away from panel gaps, badges, trim, or anything that may snag the pad. Quite a lot of pressure can be applied, but they don't take well to any surface other than the flat paintwork.

Also, are you using a brush to clean them, perhaps you might be going a bit heavy with that.

Best life of a pad might be 3 cars worth of work.

I'm currently using Chemical Guys Hex Logic, the compounding pad is the one that always seems to just fall apart, the rest are fine, I do keep it away from trim, edges and badges, I've gotten three cars out of this pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Anyone try Dr Leather wipes and find them disappointing?

I had to do a lot of wiping to remove some light marks and I'm not sure if it's really clean. The 'leather' scent on them is overpowering.

The BMW Foam stuff I used previously seems to be more effective (and considerably cheaper)

Seven Worlds will Collide

I had to do a lot of wiping to remove some light marks and I'm not sure if it's really clean. The 'leather' scent on them is overpowering.

The BMW Foam stuff I used previously seems to be more effective (and considerably cheaper)

BMW sell very surprisingly good detailing/cleaning supplies, people give them very good reviews.

I use Gliptone spray-on leather cleaner and a microfibre followed by BMW leather cream. Maybe try leaving one of the wipes on the area to be cleaned for a few minutes and let the ingredients soak in a bit? I always leave the spray on the seat for a minute before gently wiping and it always does a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I had them before. To be honest they are better than the "Big Wipes" that I have now. I seem to remember they smelled like baby oil?

• Advertisement

The wipes are more for keeping the leather in tip top shape, to give them a once over. The liquid cleaner is for giving the leather a throughout cleaning.

Advertisement