Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi I need a new cutting and finishing pad for rotary.

Which are the best to get to do and Octavia? Would also be using on a fiesta and mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Ya seen it alright. Nothing in the cart is discounted already. You enter it before you go to the checkout?

There are 5 pages in the Checkout Process - got to the first page and you can add vouchers there! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Just got it to work no problem Noccy, are you that old :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Ah no, got it all sorted there. Will attack the cars next week, weather's promised good and I've time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Which are the best to get to do and Octavia? Would also be using on a fiesta and mondeo.

Get
    Orange
    Green
    Black
    Hex pads.
    Always workd for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Washed the car today, first time in a while and it was pretty dirty. That Collinite 845 is some stuff, I put it on 5 weeks ago! Even after a blast with the power hose, and no wash the beading was like I just waxed it. It makes the car very easy to dry using an open hose to wash away the water, then the drying towel doesn't need to do half as much. Was quite surprised by how durable it was.

Thats a tough one to answer.

If you take 'which are the best'.....
    - the best cutting pad will remove the most defects but in turn will also leave its own defects, buffer trails or micro swirls caused by the large abrasive molecules in the polish
    - The best finishing pad may have have very little cut so that it really jewels up the paintwork to a high gloss

However, if you chose the best in both cases, the finishing pad may not be good enough to refine the minor defects caused during the cutting step.

With the Octavia; the paintwork will be quite hard, so the best cutting option along with a 2nd from softest pad might be the best combo. It might even be a medium pad with a finishing polish.

Its best to have a few options in pads and polish - a heavy, medium and fine for each, and then you have lots of combos to mix and match to give you the ideal combo for the task at hand.

Curran wrote: »
    Thats a tough one to answer.

If you take 'which are the best'.....
    - the best cutting pad will remove the most defects but in turn will also leave its own defects, buffer trails or micro swirls caused by the large abrasive molecules in the polish
    - The best finishing pad may have have very little cut so that it really jewels up the paintwork to a high gloss

However, if you chose the best in both cases, the finishing pad may not be good enough to refine the minor defects caused during the cutting step.

With the Octavia; the paintwork will be quite hard, so the best cutting option along with a 2nd from softest pad might be the best combo. It might even be a medium pad with a finishing polish.

Its best to have a few options in pads and polish - a heavy, medium and fine for each, and then you have lots of combos to mix and match to give you the ideal combo for the task at hand.

Ok thanks.
    I would like to order some as want to get working on it.

What's the best ones to get and ill do order right away.

Can really fault Vectra's shout on the Orange, Green and Black. Covers the bases.

What polishes do you have?

Can really fault Vectra's shout on the Orange, Green and Black. Covers the bases.

What polishes do you have?

Chemical guys v36 cutting polish and
    Chemical guys finish polish

• Advertisement

Perfect with the Hex Pads! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Washed the car today, first time in a while and it was pretty dirty. That Collinite 845 is some stuff, I put it on 5 weeks ago! Even after a blast with the power hose, and no wash the beading was like I just waxed it. It makes the car very easy to dry using an open hose to wash away the water, then the drying towel doesn't need to do half as much. Was quite surprised by how durable it was.

5 weeks....expect to see decent beading for another month and then fine beading for another four after that.
    It doesn't give amazing beading like bilt hamber finis, but it gives very good beading over a much longer period of time in my experience

I haven't waxed mine since September and it's only now that I need to put on a fresh coat. The only downside to it is you don't get to try new waxes as much
    Bad news for Mr curran but great news for my wallet and arms

I put another order through detailingshed.

So thanks for the recommended pads so I got all 3 and a few other bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Another quick question lads if ye dont mind :o,probably going to order chemical guys butter wet wax from detailing shed for the car.
    Or is collinite 845 a better product i know from reading on here collinite is a top product.

Just curious as i am a total beginner with both these products.Also what applicator is good to use to apply them

Thanks lads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Personally I would go for Collinite before butter wax. i find that the waxes that smell strong (like petrol) have better longevity and beading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Good enough for me metzgermeister:)will order that thanks again for the advice think ill go with Chemical Guys Black Ultra Fine applicator

I hear Detailing Shed are opening a walk-in store in the next week or so. Any truth in that Curran????

Ye'd make a good detective! :P

In the process of getting things in place! No definite date yet, BUT hoping to be able to open the doors on Saturday for a few hours! All depends on when shelving is delivered and getting the place stocked out!

So the rumours are true!! :D

Ye'd make a good detective! :P

In the process of getting things in place! No definite date yet, BUT hoping to be able to open the doors on Saturday for a few hours! All depends on when shelving is delivered and getting the place stocked out!

cool
    Could be handy to me when I am up that way..

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    cool
    Could be costly to me when I am up that way..

Fixed that for you!! :D

I am up that way a good bit, the temptation will be very strong :)

Searched "up that way" on google maps there but computer says no. Where's the new store? :)

Searched "up that way" on google maps there but computer says no. Where's the new store? :)

Well it's about a four day trek from you :p

I just assumed Dublin, right or wrong!

Fixed that for you!! :D

:P:P

Ballycoolin, Dublin!
    Exact location will be available on the website in the coming days!
    Murphy's Law, if I were to say where exactly, ye'd have people arrive when you aren't there or the place is upside down and bad mouthing you before you've even opened the doors! ;)

Best of luck with the new shop Curran. I'll try and get into you when I am in Dublin. Main reason for that is your contribution to this forum. You put huge effort into your posts keeping keeping people right, whether that be a 1 post wonder asking one question and to be never seen again or to the regulars.

I'll be pointing people your direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I'll drop in on Thursday if you get it open on time!

Will be up collecting my refurbed Motorsports.....I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Ballycoolin, Dublin!
    Exact location will be available on the website in the coming days!
    Murphy's Law, if I were to say where exactly, ye'd have people arrive when you aren't there or the place is upside down and bad mouthing you before you've even opened the doors! ;)

Near Elite? Best of luck with it. I will be in too in the near future. Will you have an order for collection option on the website?

• Advertisement

Very near Elite! ;)

It's open for consideration but won't be an option immediately.

Advertisement