Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭cena

Any use any water softener system on their outside tap when washing the car to stop lime marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

cena wrote: »
    Any use any water softener system on their outside tap when washing the car to stop lime marks?

Yep, I use a DI Vessel and Unger Resin specifically for washing cars.

sh-unger-resin_2000x.jpg?v=1588260373

sh-SK11-standard_2000x.jpg?v=1588282500

The lime in my water isn't near as bad as it used be as we have a new water treatment facility in a neighbouring town but I still need this set up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

garv123 wrote: »
    I can get 5lr Concept tar remover at a good price so I'll go for that if people think its any good?

What's the best cloth for wiping it off with? I have a roll of soft cotton or polishing, would that do?
    My opinion, go with this:
    There's a product called Vasco Pre Wash on the market. OCD Detailing in Ferbane stock it. You spray it all over the car, leave for 45 minutes then pressure wash it off. It clings to the surface and melts all the tar but also acts as a snowfoam of sorts rather than it just being a tar remover. Apply to a dry vehicle rather than rinsing it down beforehand so it can do its job properly.
    I have this and use it regular enough.

The time on the bottle is correct. Minimum of 20 minutes but up to 45. However, and iv'e done this a few times on really badly fouled cars, i bring the car into the garage at night (only works in the shade so not in midday/direct sunlight) and spray the car from roof to sills. I go into the house, and go to bed.

Next morning i bring the car out and power hose off the Vasco. There is not cloths, sponges, microfibre, brushes or anything else involved. As the Vasco is a gel based product it never dries (again once not in direct sunlight). So in the garage it had 8+ hours to work. When i come out to it in the morning its still wet.

Cannot recommend it enough (and before anyone asks i don't work for nor have any affiliation to the company or product).

If you have not the patience for an hour or more for it to work thoroughly then you can try one of the "quick solution" ones but the thoughts of rubbing "dissolved" tar around/on my car bothers me, hence the Vasco.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭statto25

Cass wrote: »

Christ, thats a game changer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭shanec1928

statto25 wrote: »
    Christ, thats a game changer!
    its great stuff. having seen all the reviews i got 5L of it a few weeks ago and only got around to trying it out on herselfs car at the weekend. below is a few pictures of it in action. forgot to get some after pics, was in a rush. that was when it was on roughly 20 mins, it took off 95% of the tar and im sure if i left it longer it would have gotten all of it off as could see the bits that were left were coming off when touched.

https://imgur.com/a/V3KRLQM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

shanec1928 wrote: »
    its great stuff. having seen all the reviews i got 5L of it a few weeks ago and only got around to trying it out on herselfs car at the weekend. below is a few pictures of it in action. forgot to get some after pics, was in a rush. that was when it was on roughly 20 mins, it took off 95% of the tar and im sure if i left it longer it would have gotten all of it off as could see the bits that were left were coming off when touched.

Thanks lads,

How far does a 1L bottle get you?

i was eh fairly liberal with it, used under 500ml, probably could have used half that, the car wasn't long under the shadow of the house and last weekend was warm enough so i took to the side of caution.

How far does a 1L bottle get you?
    First application can use up to half the bottle. However you can adjust the spray by keeping the bottle back a little more from the car and giving a "misting" effect.

Unless you work for roadstone the following applications shouldn't require as much as you won't be treating the entire car and the contamination shouldn't be as severe.

My advice. Give a decent liberal application but don't go to town. Give it an hour or more (as long as you can really) and if you return and notice some areas of the car are more contaminated than others (usually around the wheel arches, front doors lower down, and perhaps boot lid) you can give a top up application to those areas without cleaning off the previous application.

Of course this really only works on cars that are not black (guess what mine is :rolleyes: ) and you can see the tar dissolving.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

First application can use up to half the bottle. However you can adjust the spray by keeping the bottle back a little more from the car and giving a "misting" effect.

Unless you work for roadstone the following applications shouldn't require as much as you won't be treating the entire car and the contamination shouldn't be as severe.

My advice. Give a decent liberal application but don't go to town. Give it an hour or more (as long as you can really) and if you return and notice some areas of the car are more contaminated than others (usually around the wheel arches, front doors lower down, and perhaps boot lid) you can give a top up application to those areas without cleaning off the previous application.

Of course this really only works on cars that are not black (guess what mine is :rolleyes: ) and you can see the tar dissolving.

Oh my l200 looks like it got stuck in a truck of tar at some stage, well actually feels like it, because its black too :rolleyes:

its rough with tar right up to the roof. I did get a lot off with the simmons aerosol but most of that blew away in the wind. I'll bite the bullet and get the 5L, the i40 is white and could do with a good spray down too.

Oh my l200 looks like it got stuck in a truck of tar at some stage, well actually feels like it, because its black too :rolleyes:
    My parents car is something similar. For a car that does about 3000k per year i often wonder if they take a short cut home through a quarry. :D
    its rough with tar right up to the roof.
    The Vasco is safe on all surfaces so don't be nervous where you spray it. Plastic, glass, paintwork, etc. Its all fine.
    I did get a lot off with the simmons aerosol but most of that blew away in the wind.
    That'll happen with aerosols and also any dissolved tar usually "sets" back on the car. I like the Vasco because the gel formula keeps the tar soft until its washed away.
    I'll bite the bullet and get the 5L, the i40 is white and could do with a good spray down too.
    After my third bottle i done the same. Bought the 5L. If nothing else it saves you a few bob too.

Post some before and after pictures will ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Any good stuff to remove water spots from glass? Have tried 0000 steel wool (not pictured) and it took ages and other than making the water behave like normal glass it didn't get rid of the spots. I presume there's some kind of old coating on the glass as they bead up water but it doesn't roll off hence the bad deposits

Have read vinegar but it never works on shower glass for me. Read somewhere else denatured alcohol which I haven't tried and I do have 99% ipa..

Or should I just wait till I have a polisher and use an abrasive for glass?

Clay bar should get it off. Had the exact same issue when I got some quick detailer on the windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Any good stuff to remove water spots from glass? Have tried 0000 steel wool (not pictured) and it took ages and other than making the water behave like normal glass it didn't get rid of the spots. I presume there's some kind of old coating on the glass as they bead up water but it doesn't roll off hence the bad deposits

Have read vinegar but it never works on shower glass for me. Read somewhere else denatured alcohol which I haven't tried and I do have 99% ipa..

Or should I just wait till I have a polisher and use an abrasive for glass?

Check out Labocosmetica "Energo". Pascal in WashMe Ireland stocks it. Best product I've come across for chemically removing mineral desposits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Anyone have any idea what may have done this to my bonnet? And best way to fix it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,723 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I bought a random orbital sander today (non car related DIY), can these be used with polishing pads for paint correction?

It is a Bosch PEX 220 A.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭JamBur

Anyone have any idea what may have done this to my bonnet? And best way to fix it?!

Christ, thats deep. Hard to figure how that happened. Bird strike while driving?

JamBur wrote: »
    Christ, thats deep. Hard to figure how that happened. Bird strike while driving?

Yeah it’s bad alright. I think I definitely would’ve noticed an impact like that, looks like something pointy and metal. Just hoping it’s not local scrotes as it will happen again if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd touch it up with some paint and clear coat unless you were going to get it repainted

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I'd touch it up with some paint and clear coat unless you were going to get it repainted

Respray isn't a runner anyway. Touch it up alright. I've never seen stones do anything similar which has me head melted!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Klopp

Is there anyone here who has bought and uses the IK FOAM PRO 12 they would recommend? I currently use the two bucket method but looking at some other options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pafro

Check out Labocosmetica "Energo". Pascal in WashMe Ireland stocks it. Best product I've come across for chemically removing mineral desposits.

Thank you! Pascal here btw.
    Indeed Energo is brilliant for water spots and limescale. No other product has come even close to it. Very easy to use as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Had to de-tar the car at the weekend, smothered the car in vasco and left it in the garage for an hour. Not a speck of tar left on the paint after rinsing. I really can't see myself going back to normal tar remover, not when it comes to doing full cars anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Had to de-tar the car at the weekend, smothered the car in vasco and left it in the garage for an hour. Not a speck of tar left on the paint after rinsing. I really can't see myself going back to normal tar remover, not when it comes to doing full cars anyway

If you have the time to let it dwell(the longer the better!), it really is the closest thing to a non-contact tar removal product I've come across.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Klopp wrote: »
    Is there anyone here who has bought and uses the IK FOAM PRO 12 they would recommend? I currently use the two bucket method but looking at some other options.

What function do you want it to do?
    Foam cannon, wheel washing, pre wash?

Basically, the foaming action can be handy for spraying directly onto wheels and agitating.

It could rdo a similar job as a snow foam Lance if you had no pressure washer etc but it wouldn’t replace it.

I was considering the small hand held version for wheel cleaning and may still do it in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Nilfisk C120 with car cleaning nozzle, how close can this go to the bodywork, before it starts stripping the paint or removing lubrication?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Got alloys refurbished and resprayed to gloss black there Monday.. should I be taking precautions washing them this weekend? Usually go with a foam cannon and carpro reset mix and then the power hose. Should I just hand wash this weekend or be grand with the usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Calvin wrote: »
    Got alloys refurbished and resprayed to gloss black there Monday.. should I be taking precautions washing them this weekend? Usually go with a foam cannon and carpro reset mix and then the power hose. Should I just hand wash this weekend or be grand with the usual?

Never does any harm to let paint cure for as long as possible before doing anything with it. If it was me I would give It a week or two before going at it with chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Calvin wrote: »

I would leave them a few weeks before using any chemicals or a pressure washer on the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Ah, nice one. Thanks lads. Just some surface dirt I wanted to get rid of. Be ok to wash that off with a mitt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Its time I think for me to clay my car, the boot lid is covered in grime and tar so needs to be done.

My normal wash routine is
    Wheels
    snow-foam & rinse
    wash with Carpro Hydro2 foam
    Dry car
    Tyre gunk

For clay bar, do i do the following:
    Wheels
    snow-foam & rinse
    wash with Auto-shampoo
    De-tar
    Fallout remover