Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Anyone ever get a mystery box from DND? Thinking about getting the €40 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I used ADBL Tyre and Rubber cleaner at the weekend for the first time and I was highly impressed with it. It starts pulling dirt out out the tyre upon contact and cleans deep. Granted it didn't foam up too much while scrubbing but I can live with that.

I would highly recommend this product as it's another step or two above my previous tyre cleaner which is Bilt Hamber Surfex HD.

Was going to order a bottle over the weekend but noticed something on the instructions "not suitable for polished wheels"
    so I renaiged until I could find out more.
    Could you verify?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

etxp wrote: »
    Anyone ever get a mystery box from DND? Thinking about getting the €40 one.

Generally we'll pack it with general car cleaning products, wheel cleaners, shampoos, pre cleans etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

vectra wrote: »
    Was going to order a bottle over the weekend but noticed something on the instructions "not suitable for polished wheels"
    so I renaiged until I could find out more.
    Could you verify?

It didn't have any effect on mine and they weren't coated at the time.
    Generally we'll pack it with general car cleaning products, wheel cleaners, shampoos, pre cleans etc.

There's talk that some orders include naughty pics of Foxhole Norman wearing a maid's outfit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

There's talk that some orders include naughty pics of Foxhole Norman wearing a maid's outfit :pac:

That was between you and me :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

[QUOTE=MetzgerMeister;116803499

There's talk that some orders include naughty pics of Foxhole Norman wearing a maid's outfit :pac:[/QUOTE]

These sound like a deal-breaker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

it might be not suitable for polished wheels as in deep dish polished metal uncoated wheels

rather than polished painted wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Ian - the one step polishes are good BUT they are really only 1 step when using a rotary polisher. I've been correcting my car over the last while and was using Scholl S20 one step and I found that it only broke down from compound to polish when using the rotary. This didn't work with the DA for some reason.

It's possible that I wasn't using the DA for long enough but I'm not so sure.

Scholl S3 is a superb compound by the way. That mated with a green Shinemate pad has scratches gone in less that a minute with the rotary machine.
    Just to add to this I've found S20 to deliver excellent results and is my go to, but it does not remove 100% of the swirls on my (quite) hard VAG point with the DA. I'd say 80% which is Ok for me. If you are a weekend warrior chasing perfection then 2 step with a DA is the way to go, or as MM says pull the trigger with a rotary, but do your homework first.

Thanks lads. I reckon a bit more homework is in order and when I can go annoy talk to FN in D&D Detailing, once the lockdown is lifted......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Looking at the Flex XCE and XCF, but they all seem to come with an EU plug.

I can't imagine that's too safe using that for an extended period with a travel plug adapter? Anyone know?

It's an expensive piece of kit. I don't fancy the cordless option. I'd like the corded one.

That was between you and me :eek:

They're too good for me to keep all to myself :P
    etxp wrote: »
    These sound like a deal-breaker :D

No, deal-MAKER more like!
    myshirt wrote: »
    Looking at the Flex XCE and XCF, but they all seem to come with an EU plug.

I can't imagine that's too safe using that for an extended period with a travel plug adapter? Anyone know?

It's an expensive piece of kit. I don't fancy the cordless option. I'd like the corded one.

D&D stock a huge range of Flex polishers.

• Advertisement

D&D stock a huge range of Flex polishers.

Cheers. I'll drop an enquiry in with them. It's not clear of they stock the one with a UK plug, or the EU plug.

Majority I see out there are EU plug. I'm unsure if it's safe to be using that for hours on end with a travel adapter. May overheat. I don't fancy the cordless. I know that likely sounds mad. Prefer a cabled machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

You can get an adaptor that the 2 pin plug sits inside and turns it into a 3 pin plug rather than using plug-in adaptor. like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EU-Euro-2-Pin-to-UK-3-Pin-Plug-AC-Shaver-Adapter-Travel-Converter-European-13A/124474709500?hash=item1cfb4555fc:g:yVoAAOSw4QRfzcTm

Failing that, you could just wire a 3 pin plug on to it.

They only sell the 3 prong plug since they're selling in Ireland.

You're right to prefer the corded ones. They have quite a bit more torque and you're not worrying about how long the battery will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

As Cheensbo said above; either an adaptor or cut the plug off it and wire in a 3-pin instead.

They only sell the 3 prong plug since they're selling in Ireland.

You're right to prefer the corded ones. They have quite a bit more torque and you're not worrying about how long the battery will last.

Likely will be better able to cope with a 6 inch backing plate also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I used ADBL Tyre and Rubber cleaner at the weekend for the first time and I was highly impressed with it. It starts pulling dirt out out the tyre upon contact and cleans deep. Granted it didn't foam up too much while scrubbing but I can live with that.

I would highly recommend this product as it's another step or two above my previous tyre cleaner which is Bilt Hamber Surfex HD.

It’s supposed to be brilliant stuff and in my list of “to buy”.

I also believe it’s great at removing oil stains from the driveway!

Gumbo wrote: »
    It’s supposed to be brilliant stuff and in my list of “to buy”.

I also believe it’s great at removing oil stains from the driveway!

Yep, well worth it! I got 2 bottles so should last a while.

Great to know about oil stains! I presume you mean concrete...Any idea if it works as good on tarmac?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yep, well worth it! I got 2 bottles so should last a while.

Great to know about oil stains! I presume you mean concrete...Any idea if it works as good on tarmac?

Not sure on tarmac.
    Only seen the oil stain tip on the IDE Facebook page recently. The photo was on paving slabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,283 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Morning lads, sorry if this is the wrong place.

I'm looking for some advice on washing the new car (what shampoo, washing kit, etc) to use.

Also need advice on a power washer too. Was told good things about the Titan, but no one seems to stock it anymore.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Morning lads, sorry if this is the wrong place.

I'm looking for some advice on washing the new car (what shampoo, washing kit, etc) to use.

Also need advice on a power washer too. Was told good things about the Titan, but no one seems to stock it anymore.

You could be getting yourself into a deep, deep rabbit hole here :D

The basics are to wash, decontaminate, wash again, dry, protect. Any power washer will do, you don't want to tear the paint off the car. A Nilfisk C110 is a good entry point.

Get yourself a microfiber mitt or two, and two buckets. One bucket with your soap, and one with clean water. Wash from top to bottom, and rinse from bottom to top. That clean water bucket will be full of dirt by the end, from cleaning your wash mitt. It's that dirt which you have avoided rubbing around the car. Your neighbour with the sponge and one bucket will have simply rubbed dirt and grit around the body work. And if you see a neighbour going at a car with a brush, may god have mercy on his soul.

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »
    You could be getting yourself into a deep, deep rabbit hole here :D

The basics are to wash, decontaminate, wash again, dry, protect. Any power washer will do, you don't want to tear the paint off the car. A Nilfisk C110 is a good entry point.

Get yourself a microfiber mitt or two, and two buckets. One bucket with your soap, and one with clean water. Wash from top to bottom, and rinse from bottom to top. That clean water bucket will be full of dirt by the end, from cleaning your wash mitt. It's that dirt which you have avoided rubbing around the car. Your neighbour with the sponge and one bucket will have simply rubbed dirt and grit around the body work. And if you see a neighbour going at a car with a brush, may god have mercy on his soul.

Gent,

In terms of products, is this any use: https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/car-cleaning-kits/autoglym-perfect-bodywork-and-wheels-gift-collection-615801.html

Or are you better off getting individual stuff?

Have a look on proper detailing stores Vicxas, Halfords prices are over and above on most things.

D & D Detailing, Cork

OCD Detailing, Ferbane (I'm a huge fan of their ADBL tyre and rubber cleaner)

Pirate Garage, New Ross

Blok51, Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Picked up Cleaner Car Pro Range Wheel Cleaner and Tar Remover from D & D Detailing in Cork and they threw in Cleaner Car Pro Range Tyre Dressing as well.
    Really nice touch from these guys, always happy with their products and service

Have a look on proper detailing stores Vicxas, Halfords prices are over and above on most things.

D & D Detailing, Cork

OCD Detailing, Ferbane (I'm a huge fan of their ADBL tyre and rubber cleaner)

Pirate Garage, New Ross

Blok51, Northern Ireland

Im gonna make an "Essential" trip down to OCD next week, does anyone know if their shop is still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Im gonna make an "Essential" trip down to OCD next week, does anyone know if their shop is still open?

What part of the country are you based ?

What part of the country are you based ?

Im in Meath, so about an hour away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Im in Meath, so about an hour away

Could always drop into Reflect Autocare as well near blanchardstown. Great range of products and the lads know there stuff as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Wondering if someone could recommend a spray on sealant (I think), along the lines of Orchard Autocare 'Perfection' ? I used this a lot in the past with great results after a 2 bucket wash and clay. Could spray it on anywhere and it'd bring a depth to the shine and plenty beading in the following few weeks. I don't think that product can be got anymore so looking for an alternative?

ciarsd wrote: »
    Wondering if someone could recommend a spray on sealant (I think), along the lines of Orchard Autocare 'Perfection' ? I used this a lot in the past with great results after a 2 bucket wash and clay. Could spray it on anywhere and it'd bring a depth to the shine and plenty beading in the following few weeks. I don't think that product can be got anymore so looking for an alternative?

Gtechniq C2V3, Gtechniq QD, CarPro Reload, CarPro Elixir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Gtechniq C2V3, Gtechniq QD, CarPro Reload, CarPro Elixir

Sonax BSD

Advertisement