Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭cena

can a normal car cleaner be put through a foam lance? The the wash and wax kind pH netrual

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

You mean a shampoo?

Yes, you can...it may or may not given similar results to a regular snowfoam solution

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭cena

Curran wrote: »
    You mean a shampoo?

Yes, you can...it may or may not given similar results to a regular snowfoam solution
    ya a shampoo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Is it likely that detailing shed will have the snow foam lance in stock soon? Going to order a few bits but ill hold off to save on shipping.

Anybody selling a DA here?

Very likely....they're waiting on delivery from 3 suppliers! ;)

• Advertisement

Very likely....they're waiting on delivery from 3 suppliers! ;)

Grand I'll hold off so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

As an apartment dweller, I've no hose point and a less than optimal set-up to give the car a good clean! Is it difficult to achieve good results without running water to pre-rinse and also to rinse-off after shampoo?

When I can't be arsed getting the power washer out I bring 2 buckets to a petrol station. You need to find one that is coin op as in €2 for 4 mins etc rather than one that is just 15 mins for €10 Or whatever.

And for the love of god don't use their Sweeping brush type attachment!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Good call, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Folks, any suggestions on how to get the most out of my cleaning products?

What I usually do it go around the car with the powerwasher, then spray on the alloy cleaner and use a shampoo on the car and wash all of with the powerwasher. I put the shampoo-substance on with a sponge (of course, I mix the substance in a bucket with water!).

Alloy cleaner - Simoniz Alloy Cleaner / Wonder Wheels (Super Alloy Wheel Cleaner)
    Shampoo - Simoniz Wash & Wax

Here's a picture of the car in question (bad attempt at editing out the reg :pac: )

*Note: The alloys still come out dirty and I was told that I should not be using a sponge.
    Car has some tar marks around the two front doors and the rear arches.

ip5LJsxmj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Bin that sponge and get microfibre mits! Sponge marks only put swirl marks all over the paintwork, holds the grit and you are rubbing grit between the sponge and paint.

Alloys are probably "dirty" due to brake dust building up. You would need a de iron type spray to disolve the build up of dust.

There are better products out there than simoniz, try autoglym or the range of stuff available on detailing shed!

To get the tar off, get a de tarring product, or even petrol works fine, when the tar is off, wash the car and then apply your sealant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Folks, any suggestions on how to get the most out of my cleaning products?

Bin everything and start over with proper products :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

In fairness the simoniz wash and wax does exactly what it say's I was amazed the first time I used it,and still use it over the winter when it's a bit cold to be out polishing,water beads off the car like it's just been waxed.The sponge needs to go into the bin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

When I can't be arsed getting the power washer out I bring 2 buckets to a petrol station. You need to find one that is coin op as in €2 for 4 mins etc rather than one that is just 15 mins for €10 Or whatever.

And for the love of god don't use their Sweeping brush type attachment!

I am in the same boat, no drive way etc..
    only if you live around Lucan - The Esso on N4 (Lucan) charges €1 for 2 minutes.
    I find it hard to fill the buckets with their hose though :)

bbari wrote: »
    I am in the same boat, no drive way etc..
    only if you live around Lucan - The Esso on N4 (Lucan) charges €1 for 2 minutes.
    I find it hard to fill the buckets with their hose though :)

Fill your buckets at the air/water thingy ;) Trying to fill your bucket with the power hose will send your bucket to Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

When I can't be arsed getting the power washer out I bring 2 buckets to a petrol station.

How in the name of all that's holy can doing that be less hassle than getting the power washer out :confused:

How in the name of all that's holy can doing that be less hassle than getting the power washer out :confused:

I've no side entrance so hose has to go from back garden to front, so front and back door has to be open, housemate gets cranky when she's cold. I live about 3 minutes drive from the petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

red mondeo

Is that you're drive way? :eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

FreeFallin wrote: »
    As an apartment dweller, I've no hose point and a less than optimal set-up to give the car a good clean! Is it difficult to achieve good results without running water to pre-rinse and also to rinse-off after shampoo?

Same position and I manage currently with 2 buckets - one with shampoo and the other just water. I use a microfibre wash mitt.

I'm looking at changing to Optimum No Rinse wash to avoid the two buckets.

Hal1 wrote: »
    Is that you're drive way? :eek::pac:

If it was then I wouldnt be driving a Mondeo :pac:

Its the entrance to Kilkooley House in Gortnahoe. The gate going into the house was closed, so I took a picture on the driveway in instead. Very nice place to do a possible photoshoot :)

• Advertisement

Another issue with a Hyundai jeep, which is mostly used around the farmyard.

This "smudge" has been on the jeep for a while now (definitely over a year) and we dont have a clue how it even got on it. I've tried various methods of trying to remove it, but cant come to any solution.

Anyone have any recommendations?

ex3ygvexj

exJEoBAej

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

For a workhorse jeep with paint that bad anyway, I'm not sure there's much point in trying. The length of time it's been there only makes it worse...

It looks the same as if sunscreen got onto the paint - in which case rubbing compound, a machine polish or light wet-sanding +polish would be the way to get it off. If rubbing compound doesn't work, the other options will likely only make that worse due to the condition of the paint to start with. Hyundai aren't exactly known for having strong paint and machine polishing you'd end up having to do the entire vehicle.

You could try petrol on a cloth...

Those smudges look like grease; would someone have bumped up against it with greasy hands at any stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I see that Karcher have changed the design of their foam lance. There is one version with the adjustment on the top which has perforated plastic in the nozzle (yellow colour if you look in the end of the nozzle). I saw this version for sale in Halfords yesterday. There is also a version with the adjustment on the side which has the metal gauze in the nozzle. I read on here somewhere that this is what makes the foam good? So I bought one and yes it makes good foam. I got it in Woodies. It was around €21. The only thing I had to put into it was Demon foam and it was okay. Will be interesting to see how it does with better foam liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Kol, you still ain't gonna beat the original PA lance for foaming ability! :pac:

Also what about cleaning ability, how did you find that Demon stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

myshirt wrote: »
    Kol, you still ain't gonna beat the original PA lance for foaming ability! :pac:

Also what about cleaning ability, how did you find that Demon stuff?

With the demon foam the results were good but not as good as the videos I have seen of the PA lance. Nice cherry smell off it too. I am going to order some 50 Cal snow foam from Curran and see how that works.
    To be honest the car wasn't that dirty to begin with. I just wanted to use the foam lance!! I normally give the car a blast with the pressure washer first to get rid of any large dirt especially the wheels and lower areas. I did notice the water in both buckets was fairly clean after I finished so the demon foam did work. I am also going to give the Karcher foam a go too. It is €9.99 for a liter in Homebase. It's more expensive in Halfords (€13 I think).

Loving the rain today, walked out if the office to epic beading and a car that's shining in the rain rather than that dull hue that is on the rest of the cars in the car park

I gave it a wash yesterday and put a very thin coat of glossworx glaze. Did my black plastics with AG bumper care which isn't bad but I will be looking for a more durable option when the summer comes

I'd advice you put some sealant or wax on top of the Glossworkz Glaze; otherwise it wont last too long; it does not have an resistance to being washed, etc.

I'd advice you put some sealant or wax on top of the Glossworkz Glaze; otherwise it wont last too long; it does not have an resistance to being washed, etc.

Orchard speed seal went on after. If I'm honest I just want to use it up so I can replace it with Blacklight :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Orchard speed seal went on after. If I'm honest I just want to use it up so I can replace it with Blacklight :)

You wont get much durability with Blacklight either.

Stick some 845 on it.

Advertisement