Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Aldi's ocean breeze is what I use. I could spend all day sniffing it.

Never tried that one. I always went for the Lemon smelling one.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

vectra wrote:
    Never tried that one. I always went for the Lemon smelling one.

Sorry, does it say APC on the bottle or. ..?

bbari wrote: »
    Sorry, does it say APC on the bottle or. ..?

Here you go >> APC

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

vectra wrote:
    Here you go >>

Thank you vectra.

Do you just mix it in the water, wash the car with it, it will strip off any wax etc and you start again from the scratch?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bbari wrote: »
    Thank you vectra.

Do you just mix it in the water, wash the car with it, it will strip off any wax etc and you start again from the scratch?

Yes it is all on 1 cleaner also washing liquid would do the job.

Mix with water also don't use the whole bottle.

• Advertisement

I would use about 1/8 bottle and a squirt of fairy liquid in my bucket when I want to re-wax my car.
    Wash with the above
    Clay
    wash again with the above and rinse well.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

Fairy or other washing up liquid doesn't remove wax to be honest. Despite what many pros will say and show. The water behaviour on your car once you wash with washing up liquid would lead you to believe it's removed the protection but it hasn't. It has just left a film behind.

The only 100% wax to remove any quality wax is to lightly polish it.

Of course any washing you do with any product will effect your lsp but don't be food into thinking it will remove it all in one go.

That said th ere is no real need to remove 100% of the protection anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I'm having fierce trouble with Bilt Hamber's Auto Balm lately. It works wonders on my paint; really great results for a car that should ideally get a good machine polish, but it's becoming impossible to buff off.

I'll apply it as sparingly as possible, and within 10 minutes its rock hard and I'm left with swirls of wax and have to spend ages trying to get them all out. Some of them don't come out no matter how much I buff it.

Pops_20 wrote: »
    I'm having fierce trouble with Bilt Hamber's Auto Balm lately. It works wonders on my paint; really great results for a car that should ideally get a good machine polish, but it's becoming impossible to buff off.

I'll apply it as sparingly as possible, and within 10 minutes its rock hard and I'm left with swirls of wax and have to spend ages trying to get them all out. Some of them don't come out no matter how much I buff it.

How many coats of wax have you got on it?
    it may need to be stripped back and start all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

vectra wrote: »
    How many coats of wax have you got on it?
    it may need to be stripped back and start all over again.

That's just the first coat of wax.

I had quick detailer on it from about 2 weeks ago, but I didn't strip it off first.

Using Farcéla G3 Resin Superwax there now and not having any bother buffing it out.

Does wax 'go off' in the tin over time?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Did a bit of a spring clean today, have a bunch of stuff that I'll not need so am going to sell it.

Pic below, if anyone local to Cork wants something just let me know. Will be sticking the lot up on donedeal/adverts later as one lot.

Most of it is unused..

IMG_20150406_151915_zpsxydlgjxq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Sigh.....
    4BG9hA.jpg

I need as much advice as there is on removing these bastards permanently

Sigh.....
    4BG9hA.jpg

I need as much advice as there is on removing these bastards permanently

You need compound and a rotary to apply. Then polish.

But prep the car 1st properly.

2bm wash, de tar, wash, clay, wash then machine with compound .

Some polish and wax will help fill in a bit but for proper results above is the only way.
    you would get all the right stuff off detailingshed.ie and pm Curran he can help out.

I'm all good with the prep and washing, it is a 15 year old Golf :) I think the previous owner washes it with rocks and sand.

I'm looking for a DA and not sure which or where to buy it. As for polish and compound, which would be best? I've been reading about VW's having particularly hard paint, anybody know if that's just the newer stuff?

Fillers don't interest me I want to do it right

I'm all good with the prep and washing, it is a 15 year old Golf :) I think the previous owner washes it with rocks and sand.

I'm looking for a DA and not sure which or where to buy it. As for polish, which would be best? I've been reading about VW's having particularly hard paint, anybody know if that's just the newer stuff?

Yes hard paint so they need a good job done on them.
    I had swirls on my vRS and got a rotary in local motor factors autocare.

Got all the other bits needed off detailingshed.ie and done it last summer but I will have to give another go as I didn't want to destroy the car as it had been a few years since I had last used 1.

I am looking forward with the better weather and getting time to give another go as its amazing the difference it makes even at night with street lighting and car lights especially when shining on rear of car while behind.

I'm looking for a DA and not sure which or where to buy it. As for polish and compound, which would be best? I've been reading about VW's having particularly hard paint, anybody know if that's just the newer stuff?

Get this
    http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-meguiars-hex-logic-kit/prod_1212.html

Add a Hex green pad and a Hex Black pad and you are away for slates.

vectra wrote: »

That looks the job. The swirls are annoying the he'll out of me, have it booked in to have the back bumper, bonnet and wing mirrors painted too. I'm chasing mint mint and not donedeal mint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

I'd polish the all the other paintwork before getting the other bits done, so the painter is matching freshly polished paint and not 15 year old paint...otherwise you might have a difference! ;)

Curran wrote: »
    I'd polish the all the other paintwork before getting the other bits done, so the painter is matching freshly polished paint and not 15 year old paint...otherwise you might have a difference! ;)

That's why I'm trying to hurry up the polishing!
    Even the hand polishing made a huge difference to the paint, I haven't polished the back bumper and it's so noticeable

I know these car park cleaners are usually not great in terms of being careful with paintwork, yesterday I saw one in Blanch area actually snow foaming a car and I'm thinking 'wow this guy might be decent' then he wipes the foam off with a sweeping brush!!

Be grand for the mothers micra that gets driven into everything but jesus christ a ****ing sweeping brush.

Anyway, the point of this post, my windscreen has lots of small spots, I've tried lots on it including Bilt Hamber fallout remover thinking it was bits of contamination, tar remover, clay bar and glass polish. I don't seem to be making any inroads on it. With the weather we're having its bothering me, am I just being **** with what I'm using or am I missing a trick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Are they pinhole type abrasions?

Think the sweeping brush is bad, I seen a woman with a yard brush on a two year old passat. My camera is goosed, but if it wasn't, that'd have been exhibit A in my civil action for the tort of outrage, or intentional infliction of emotional distress as it's known in the trade.

myshirt wrote: »
    Are they pinhole type abrasions?

Think the sweeping brush is bad, I seen a woman with a yard brush on a two year old passat. My camera is goosed, but if it wasn't, that'd have been exhibit A in my civil action for the tort of outrage.

They look like pinhole types but they aren't tiny chips. I was reading on another forum about similar things and the lads used some cleaner bought in sainsburys that worked but I'd rather not have to drive to Newry!

I'll get a pic of yer man today, I'm back in that area

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Great service by Detailing Shed as always, looking forward to trying out this stuff, being using megs QD up untill now.

17096128032_ff9c29d4c3_s.jpg

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    Great service by Detailing Shed as always, looking forward to trying out this stuff, being using megs QD up untill now.

17096128032_ff9c29d4c3_s.jpg

Balls. Meant to place my order during the week to get it for this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Try contact them - Im sure they'd do their best to meet you....they're only in Swords! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Snow foam lance has landed at home... Be a few days before I can get some foam and test it tho!

Curran wrote: »
    Try contact them - Im sure they'd do their best to meet you....they're only in Swords! ;)

Done and collected already! Sound lads over there

Blacklight, 50cal tyre dressing and Stripper Scent! Glad the missus is away for a couple of months otherwise she'd be questioning the smell in my car!

Hi all getting a George numatic today so what's a good cleaning agent to use for car interior floor/seats 1st car will be the vRS then onto hers.

I have to collect out in finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭cena

used the foam again yesterday. Still not getting thick foam. I put a 100ml foam in with 900ml of warm water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

cena wrote: »
    used the foam again yesterday. Still not getting thick foam. I put a 100ml foam in with 900ml of warm water

Where are you based? Could be hard water in your area.
    If there is you can boil it and let it cool first to soften it.

Advertisement