Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭cena

CianRyan wrote: »
    Where are you based? Could be hard water in your area.
    If there is you can boil it and let it cool first to soften it.

Ya I live in an area with bad hard water. Live in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

cena wrote: »
    Ya I live in an area with bad hard water. Live in galway

Soap doesn't lather well in hard water, try boiling it and report back to us! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭cena

Soap doesn't lather well in hard water, try boiling it and report back to us! :)

Would I let the boiling water cool down

cena wrote: »
    Would I let the boiling water cool down

I would, let it get to a warm temp as the warm water will also help it lather.
    The boiling water could melt the bottle like. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Hi all getting a George numatic today so what's a good cleaning agent to use for car interior floor/seats 1st car will be the vRS then onto hers.

I have to collect out in finglas.

Just something I read on these is that they need to be flushed out with clean water after each use. Or the water pump could seize from the foam. I'm not sure what happened to my own one, but the WP refuses to switch on, the vac is fine. So only use a small about of cleaning solution to prevent that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hal1 wrote: »
    Just something I read on these is that they need to be flushed out with clean water after each use. Or the water pump could seize from the foam. I'm not sure what happened to my own one, but the WP refuses to switch on, the vac is fine. So only use a small about of cleaning solution to prevent that.

Ok cool thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Are there any soft water parts of this country? As far as I understood, it's 90% hard water country wide!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

myshirt wrote: »
    Are there any soft water parts of this country? As far as I understood, it's 90% hard water country wide!

Cork city and parts of County Cork south and west of the city (basically any that use Inniscarra water works, Western Rd water works and Bandon Water works). I've grand soft water in my place in town and at the home place also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I usually let my car Dry naturally after a wash and when it's just about dry I go over with v7. Should I really be using a drying towel or am I ok? I've a feeling if the missus saw me buying a towel for the car she'd crease me. Not for cost just the fact it's a towel for a car

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I usually let my car Dry naturally after a wash and when it's just about dry I go over with v7. Should I really be using a drying towel or am I ok? I've a feeling if the missus saw me buying a towel for the car she'd crease me. Not for cost just the fact it's a towel for a car

I get told I show my car more attention...

Now that says something as haven't done much with it since the end of last summer.

I needs to get that dry me crazy towel.

• Advertisement

61180213.jpg

Buy the towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Darraghmh91.

Get a towel man once you use it you won't go back .. I get the hair dryer on cold and use it on my mirrors, my rear reflector panel and front bumber and all the crevices that can't be got to with a towel like

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

I got a towel for mine yesterday for drying and it made a huge imporvement on the car. I also got rid of the sponge and washed it with a micro-fibre pad. Like a new car :D

I really would be lost without the drying towel .. Have to use the hair dryer aswell nothin worse than water sneaking out when polishing the car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Just wondering is anybody out there using a Makita BO6040 to polish their cars with and if so what is like? and what pads are ye using?
    I've wanted a polisher for a while and I can get one of these with my bike that I use for work :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Some pics of the snow foam lance from the bay of eeee. Pressurewasherparts seller. Cost £23.73

67GKm8.jpg

6WVMe7.jpg

Seems quality,

Looks the job alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Let us know how it works out. What washer is that for?

It's listed as "Karcher HDS & NIlfisk M22M Compatible" (Kranzle M22 as well I think) - but the pressure washer we have is petrol powered and uses the same fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

It's listed as "Karcher HDS & NIlfisk M22M Compatible" (Kranzle M22 as well I think) - but the pressure washer we have is petrol powered and uses the same fitting.

Have you a photo of the front of the nozzle? Can the wire mesh inside be taken out for cleaning or replacement?

• Advertisement

Just taken :P

6hRSP5.jpg

5uzL7E.jpg

4MXUSK.jpg

Boiling the water is pointless unless the lime particles are seperated out.
    After boiling you'll have a little less water with the same amount of total hardness, some of the hard particles will settle out or rise to the top but they are still there :)

The only way boiling water to remove hardness is effective is if all of the water is boiled and the steam is caught and condensed back to a liquid.

What do you boys think of 3m
    Is it ropey to use on machine on the wrong hands
    I know machines are dodgy in the wrong hands but adding 3m to it will it make a harder job even harder

What do you mean Darragh? The 3m rotary machine? The polishes? Or 3m in general?

3m fast cut
    Iv heard its ment to be lethal stuff used to take vinyl off cars
    Fella was sayin to use it on me centre caps and the paint should peel off it handy enough
    Now Iv seen a fella say to another lad to use the 3m fast cut on a machine polish and though it might be a bit dodgy in the wrong hands Yano

Hmmn, not too sure what he is at there... 3m to strip the centre caps... yeah if you sat it on paint and didn't buff it I'm sure it would eat into the paint... but still unsure of that use...

3m are generally top notch in terms of their products, though I did see a product vid from them before and there was so many things wrong with the way he was using the rotary and the amount of product used. But no way would I be put off, they just have their fingers in so many pies.

Haven't used the new Fast Cut, but as I understand it you really want a rotary in order to break down that compound correctly and work it right. A dual action isn't gonna get you where you need to be
    with that. And as you know with a rotary, it is dangerous in the wrong hands!

Though I know someone will come along and profess it isn't! Play it safe though man, no rush, stick with DA.

Edit: This could be the video, freezing on my phone though, but maybe it. Enjoy in horror. Well, not total horror. http://solutions.3mireland.ie/wps/portal/3M/en_IE/Industrial-Solutions/-/Applications/Bodyshops/Polishing-Cars/?MDR=true

Hmmn, not too sure what he is at there... 3m to strip the centre caps... yeah if you sat it on paint and didn't buff it I'm sure it would eat into the paint... but still unsure of that use...

3m are generally top notch in terms of their products, though I did see a product vid from them before and there was so many things wrong with the way he was using the rotary and the amount of product used. But no way would I be put off, they just have their fingers in so many pies.

Haven't used the new Fast Cut, but as I understand it you really want a rotary in order to break down that compound correctly and work it right. A dual action isn't gonna get you where you need to be
    with that. And as you know with a rotary, it is dangerous in the wrong hands!

Though I know someone will come along and profess it isn't! Play it safe though man, no rush, stick with DA.

Edit: This could be the video, freezing on my phone though, but maybe it. Enjoy in horror. Well, not total horror. http://solutions.3mireland.ie/wps/portal/3M/en_IE/Industrial-Solutions/-/Applications/Bodyshops/Polishing-Cars/?MDR=true

Yeah I was thinking that Alri man like the fella who was told to use it I said 3m is dodgy in the wrong hands and that confirmed it for me

I only use hand polish for now till I start work on Monday after 6 long months layed off so will be getting a da soon and a few other bits

Thanks for that mate very much appreciated

Ok, forget about that. No mortal sins in that video. It's a dif video I have on the brain. This guy primed the pad, ok, fine. They were new pads. No cord over the shoulder though. Scrunched the cloth. Not my first choice of cloth aswell. No IPA wipedown. Area worked looked a bit dodge.

Fine. Not as painful as seeing a yard brush beijing taken to a Passat, which I still am recovering from.

Your car has soft paint doesn't it, you are going to get unreal results with good prep and a DA. Car is going to look class.

Try nail everything on one panel, get it shining. And then transfer the skills to the rest of the car.

• Advertisement

Your car has soft paint doesn't it, you are going to get unreal results with good prep and a DA. Car is going to look class.

Try nail everything on one panel, get it shining. And then transfer the skills to the rest of the car.

Yeah jap paint so super soft
    Iv another starlet here with very bad damage on it and needs a spray so that will be my practice car and when I master it I'll move onto my car and have it swirl free
    Wanna try that chemical guys V range or the mega 105 and 205 but heard there super oily

Does soft paint come up better than hard paint? Or did I just read your comment wrong ha
    On the wing on my car I can see it's like lawyer peel is starting so I'll do that by hand and carry on as normal with the rest of the car but I wouldn't mind measuring the paint first Iv a suspicious feeling it's thin paint and I'll get clear coat strike through

Advertisement