Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What women like in men...

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭galwayredgirl

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Hi guys, stumbled on this:

Warning pics of scantily clad men http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/most-popular/the-10-male-features-women-like-best/10/

Upon suggestion from Pawwed Rig, I'll put the list in text for those too afraid of looking at half naked men in the office :D

10) Chest/Shoulders muscles;
    9) Penis;
    8) Neck;
    7) Hair;
    6) Height;
    5) Long Legs;
    4) Eyes;
    3) Flat stomach;
    2) Thinness;
    1) Buttocks;

Not sure about the website, first time I heard of it, but thought it would make some interesting discussion - especially about places #1,#2 and #3, because:

- I have been saying since the dawn of time that women are much stricter than men about weight and tend to go for the super-skinny guys;

- A "10 female features men like" featuring the same in the top 3 would cause outcries of sexism, superficiality and accusation of causing eating disorders;

Curious to see what you think (ladies are more than welcome to chip in of course).

I'll have a large number 9 please :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

kiffer wrote: »
    No, you've got that backwards... It's status, money, looks...
    Look these are plusses in everyone's book.
    all other things being equal more money, better looks, higher status, they appeal to everyone.

If you could date someone who was witty and charming, or witty and charming and loaded... moneybags would probably be the better choice...

Wit and sense of humour are tricky ones... we tend to think more highly of people we are attracted to.
    So a good looking fellow gets more laughs from the same joke, told in the same way...

I know I've made excuses for terrible behaviour by attractive women, "nah, she's not a bitch it's totally a joke the way she rags on pretending to be really racist... no, no she's actually supernice"
    Oh wait, I was wrong, how did I miss that? [Edit:may be a slight exaggeration]

We just see attractive people in the best light.
    Female friend of mine said something similar about money... "it's not that the money is attractive, it's that the fact he's rich makes you see him I a different light".

We're all blinded by something.

I don't know if women care that much about money. I mean think of all the broke ass musicians and artists that are swimming in pussy. In fact I've seen chicks get turned off when guys brag about their jobs. Maybe it's different for older women.

Personally I think the traits a woman finds most attractive in a man are confidence, humor and social status. Looks help of course, but unless you're a total freak I don't think it matters as much as people think.

And unapologetic masculinity. Sensitive new age manginas don't tend do that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ragnarl

here is the answer on what attracts women

youtube.com/watch?v=2V7TcSr9GiM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Mike747 wrote: »
    I don't know if women care that much about money. I mean think of all the broke ass musicians and artists that are swimming in pussy. In fact I've seen chicks get turned off when guys brag about their jobs. Maybe it's different for older women.

Bragging is fairly unappealing no matter what it's about... no?
    Broke ass musicians have status, and passion, and fill a specific niche... also I was kind of making fun of the other guys Looks, money, status comment.
    Those things obviously help but an ass with them is still an ass.
    Personally I think the traits a woman finds most attractive in a man are confidence, humor and social status. Looks help of course, but unless you're a total freak I don't think it matters as much as people think.

Money is a proxy for status AND confidence.
    Money brings status, status makes money easier to aquire. If you're confident and have something to show for it (eg wealth, a following of groupies, a centre for abandoned donkeys) then your confidence is justified... if not... well, maybe your confidence is a front.
    And unapologetic masculinity. Sensitive new age manginas don't tend do that well.

Eh? I'll tell you women are not thrilled by my unapologetic beard... hmmm actually the giant one I had last year did seem to draw some attention but...
    Wait? Mangina? ...
    You're pulling my leg right?
    What kind of person uses that word to describe another person?
    The only time I'd use it would be to describe that scene in Silence of the Lambs...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Mike747 wrote: »
    They're shoes for teenagers. If you're a grown man and still wear them you're going to look ridiculous.
    I have Converse and I look deadly wearing them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have found it depends entirely on the man in question. A mate of mine, of the same age, wears Converse from time to time and he can work it. If I wore them I'd look like the middle aged man with a dyed combover and Porsche Boxster trying to hard. I know my limitations godammit. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I draw the line at shoes with velcro fastenings.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Converse are runners/trainers, moreso than shoes, Shirley?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

strobe wrote: »
    Converse are runners/trainers, moreso than shoes, Shirley?
    Classed more as skate shoes than anything else. Runners or trainers to me mean proper stuff you would go running in/go to the gym with (although, Cons are pretty good for some heavier weightlifting stuff due to their sturdy base).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Arbitrary Constants

Bragging is fairly unappealing no matter what it's about... no?
    Broke ass musicians have status, and passion, and fill a specific niche... also I was kind of making fun of the other guys Looks, money, status comment.
    Those things obviously help but an ass with them is still an ass.

Money is a proxy for status AND confidence.
    Money brings status, status makes money easier to aquire. If you're confident and have something to show for it (eg wealth, a following of groupies, a centre for abandoned donkeys) then your confidence is justified... if not... well, maybe your confidence is a front.

Eh? I'll tell you women are not thrilled by my unapologetic beard... hmmm actually the giant one I had last year did seem to draw some attention but...
    Wait? Mangina? ...
    You're pulling my leg right?
    The only time I'd use it would be to describe that scene in Silence of the Lambs...

You don't need a reason to justify confidence. Anyone can be confident, all it is is being free of anxiety and being able to express yourself in a carefree manner. You don't need looks, money or status to be confident.

• Advertisement

Someone who refers to women as pussy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

I'm sorry but appearance is everything

Clothes make the man, not the other way round

You don't need a reason to justify confidence. Anyone can be confident, all it is is being free of anxiety and being able to express yourself in a carefree manner. You don't need looks, money or status to be confident.

No, but what do you call someone who is super confident yet has never achieved anything?
    High self esteem is important and great, but someone who seems confident and yet is unsuccessful at what they are doing may in fact have confidence that is ill founded.

As I said, success and confidence are linked, the more you succeed at a thing, the more confident you become about it and other things... the more confident you are in general the easier it is to take chances and rally from failures and thus the more you succeed.

If someone is successful, you know they are probably fairly confident... though it is all then somewhat less important, they might be really self doubting but have the courage to struggle through and act anyway... which is good too...

but the other way around isn't necessarily true, you encounter people who have great confidence in themselves but have an overinflated opinion of their skills and abilities, they may never be brung low by their failures, remaining un flagged by their defeats, and yet never actually succed in anything, because they are overconfident, and bite off more than they can chew.
    Or they can be totally confident that if they did something they would succeed but are disinclined to actually do anything.

Success doesn't need to mean money...

and now I need to go find food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

No, but what do you call someone who is super confident yet has never achieved anything?
    High self esteem is important and great, but someone who seems confident and yet is unsuccessful at what they are doing may in fact have confidence that is ill founded.

As I said, success and confidence are linked, the more you succeed at a thing, the more confident you become about it and other things... the more confident you are in general the easier it is to take chances and rally from failures and thus the more you succeed.

If someone is successful, you know they are probably fairly confident... though it is all then somewhat less important, they might be really self doubting but have the courage to struggle through and act anyway... which is good too...

but the other way around isn't necessarily true, you encounter people who have great confidence in themselves but have an overinflated opinion of their skills and abilities, they may never be brung low by their failures, remaining un flagged by their defeats, and yet never actually succed in anything, because they are overconfident, and bite off more than they can chew.
    Or they can be totally confident that if they did something they would succeed but are disinclined to actually do anything.

What I think most women I know find attractive is ambition and passion. A guy can be broke or have a mediocre job, but if he's passionate about what he does and is driven about achieving more or what he wants to do, then that seems to be a big attraction.

Money is a side issue for any of my female friends. It might be a nice bonus, but certainly not the key attraction.

newport2 wrote: »
    What I think most women I know find attractive is ambition and passion. A guy can be broke or have a mediocre job, but if he's passionate about what he does and is driven about achieving more or what he wants to do, then that seems to be a big attraction.

Money is a side issue for any of my female friends. It might be a nice bonus, but certainly not the key attraction.

Yes... *nod* success doesn't mean money.
    As I said earlier money is a nice bonus.
    And the ingredients that make you financially successful do tend to include ambition, confidence and so on ... plus there's the bonus of the money.

It's one of those things that just makes you look better...
    like arriving with an attractive lady, makes you look more attractive to other women.
    "If he's with her he must have some quality that isn't obvious, I should check him out"
    I remember my older sister mentioning the phenomenon years and years ago, and more recently I've seen research that shows women rate men as more attractive if they are told that they are attached.

Like you've been vouched for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

like arriving with an attractive lady, makes you look more attractive to other women.
    "If he's with her he must have some quality that isn't obvious, I should check him out"
    I remember my older sister mentioning the phenomenon years and years ago, and more recently I've seen research that shows women rate men as more attractive if they are told that they are attached.

That's called pre-selection or social proof,I reckon every man has experienced the feast or famine thing at some stage,but I've noticed over the years if I went clubbing with attractive female friends,gf's or was seen greeting a female friend with a kiss your value shot up and you would get girls trying to dance or make eye contact.i know if i met them walking down the street they wouldn't even look at me,its like you have something the other female sees or you've passed her s*it tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yes... *nod* success doesn't mean money.
    As I said earlier money is a nice bonus.
    And the ingredients that make you financially successful do tend to include ambition, confidence and so on ... plus there's the bonus of the money.

The poor old single guy just can't win....unless of course they have a great ass (according to the survey earlier in the thread!!:))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Arbitrary Constants

Ok I think I see where we differ, I think your definition of confidence differs to mine.

To me confidence is the ability to interact socially and express oneself without being stifled or feeling anxious. To me a confident person could just walk up a group of women for example and chat away and flirt without a care in the world and just enjoy himself. You don't need looks, money or status to achieve this confidence, it can help but thats only an unstable form of confidence that is conditional on fleeting circumstances. True confidence in a person imo is that which can't be broken by changing circumstances such as losing your looks or your job etc.

I think your view of confidence is how you rate yourself in comparison to other people.

To me someone who is super confident who has never "achieved anything" is a person who is emotionally healthy. They don't need reasons to be themself, they give themself permission to be themself, which is the only way to be, any other way is madness.

Advertisement