Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What women like in men...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Robson Lobson

I think women are attracted to men who have a high degree of influence over their peers and people in general.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Hmmm.....it's strange, there is a certain type of woman that I have ran into a few times, the mouthy opinionated men are b**t**ds types, usually radical feminists who like to hang with these kind of nervous apologetic guys who fear upsetting them by breathing in the wrong direction and serve as nothing more than a sounding board, a yes-man.

Anyway the funny thing is - after drinks are taken and in the small wee hours of the night, this "type" of woman has oftentimes confessed to wanting a b**t**d/bad-boy guy (honestly they put it in much stronger terms than that)

so what they dislike is also what they want which is a big problem for them I guess

I know this is anecdotal and contains lots of generalisations etc. etc. but there you go, the waters are muddied further because the woman herself may not even know what she wants at any one time or have multiple desires/ideals that cannot be satisfied in any one man

the yes-man when she feels like ranting

the player when see feels like sex etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

donfers wrote: »
    so what they dislike is also what they want which is a big problem for them I guess

tbf most people, regardless of sex, have notions about what they want from a partner but that often goes out the window when push comes to shove.

Love is blind is a cliche but for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Aidric wrote: »
    tbf most people, regardless of sex, have notions about what they want from a partner but that often goes out the window when push comes to shove.

Love is blind is a cliche but for good reason.

So true. We don't choose who we love!

And most of the 'ideal' attributes that I think would be present in my 'ideal' partner absolutely go out of the window when I meet someone...

I said most though...some things are non-negotiable.

SamAK wrote: »
    I said most though...some things are non-negotiable.

Absolutely but you usually end up meeting in the middle on the contentious stuff. :pac:

Not really in keeping with the title of the thread but compromise is key to maintaining what you've got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Absolutely but you usually end up meeting in the middle on the contentious stuff. :pac:

Not really in keeping with the title of the thread
    but compromise is key to maintaining what you've got.

I'm not clear on whether the thread is all about physical attributes or otherwise?

Physical is only half the story, as we know.

SamAK wrote: »
    I'm not clear on whether the thread is all about physical attributes or otherwise?

Physical is only half the story, as we know.

I'd be pushing more towards 75% when it comes to the physical stakes. Looks supersede personality on the trying days in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

strobe wrote: »
    Really don't think that's true. I'd say the perception of confidence is predominantly based on visual cues. How someone walks, moves, stands, etc. I'd say you can know quite a bit about someone's confidence without ever speaking a word to them. And most people, whether they themselves realise it or not, develop an impression of whether someone is confident or not (at least initially) based on the above more so than any other factor.

The above is true, although perhaps the previous poster was referring to situations like online dating and Tinder, where people only have still photos to go on and it is very hard to read body language and guage confidence from this.

Of course, if a fairly ugly man were to approach a very attractive woman at any time, but especially in the day when he was not drunk, as long as he didn't come across as too predictable, lame and/or sleazy, I'm sure he would have a good chance of attracting her. Which is where confidence comes in. If the same girl saw the same lad on Tinder she'd swipe past him without a second thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

I'd be pushing more towards 75% when it comes to the physical stakes. Looks supersede personality on the trying days in my experience.

Maybe in your experience your personality was alot bette in your view but not hers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If you are talking about relationships then looks have very little to do with it other than to the extent of a minimum attractiveness. The prettiest* woman can become very ugly and boring if that is what is at her core whereas the plainest* girl can become stunning. Taking for example say Mila Kunis**. While she is nice to look at I know if I dated her there would be zero chance of a succesful relationship as there would be no compatability there.

*bearing in mind that both terms are completely subjective.

**insert random celebrity you think is pretty

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye PR, but it's not, or doesn't have to be an either or situation. In an imaginary situation of a "choice" between pursuing two women with personality/compatibility being roughly equal and the chance of a relationship kicking off, physical attractiveness is the major decider for most.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

For me, the things I zone in on when first seeing a guy:

1) Height: I like tall men 5'10 upwards, maybe because I'm a midget (5ft)! I feel like taller men have a presence to them too which I like.

2) The eyes: I feel like I can always tell if a man is good by looking at his eyes, like I can see if he has 'kind' or 'soft' eyes. I don't know how to explain it well, but I feel like I can tell from the eyes before I speak to them.

3) Chest & shoulders: I love men with broad shoulders and toned chests. I guess it goes back to the guy having a presence and feeling protected. That sounds so ridiculous. I'm not sure what that magazine meant by thin men. I don't like real muscular guy but I like guys with muscle, but bulging muscles don't attract me. Lean but muscular.

4) A nice smile: A smile that you can't help but smile back at, I love that. I like nice teeth too!

5) Good humour: I know all girls say this, but really a man that can make me laugh is very attractive!

5) Arms & hands: I like muscular arms (veins visible under the skin and just a muscular tight look) I go mad over arms! and with hands it's mainly just the fingers I zone in one I like a man with long lean fingers that look somewhat manly (like not real dainty hands but not hulking hands either!

6) Back: Muscular back is so hot too!

7) Hair: I'm including body hair in this. I like a man with a thick hair on his head but I don't like hairy arms or legs (which I realise a lot of men have) but I'm not mad over it.

The thing about the butt being important? It's certainly not someone I've ever really been bothered about. So yeah, that's my 'list'.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Awwww yeeaaa *wiggles butt*

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Thundering_Sky

For me, the things I zone in on when first seeing a guy:

3) Chest & shoulders: I love men with broad shoulders and toned chests. I guess it goes back to the guy having a presence and feeling protected. That sounds so ridiculous. I'm not sure what that magazine meant by thin men. I don't like real muscular guy but I like guys with muscle, but bulging muscles don't attract me. Lean but muscular.:

+1
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I've always been attracted to guys with broad shoulders and toned chests. I never really thought about why but your probably right about the protection thing.

I'm not a fan of beards much prefer guys with a little bit of stubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Protection from what exactly ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

+1
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I've always been attracted to guys with broad shoulders and toned chests. I never really thought about why but your probably right about the protection thing.

I'm not a fan of beards much prefer guys with a little bit of stubble.
    Oh God, I hate beards!! Never ever got that attraction! Yeah stubble can be nice. The slight roughness is a nice feeling!:o
    Festy wrote: »
    Protection from what exactly ?

It's hard to explain and I'm probably the only one who feels like this, but it's just...I think it's because I'm small and slight as well that just you feel safe around a man with nice broad shoulders, :o like he can protect you..from what I don't know, but it just feels like to me like an instinctual thing that I'm attracted to it. A nice tall guy with broad shoulders....I just love it! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Must show my Richard this thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Broad shoulders and strong arms. Arse & tummy tucked in, nice face and brown eyes. Sold.

Problem for guys who dress really well is they can be perceived as being gay by strangers

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Thundering_Sky

Problem for guys who dress really well is they can be perceived as being gay by strangers

Maybe, but I wouldn't automatically assume the guy was gay because he dressed well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

Beards/moustaches have an unhygienic vibe for me. You see guys eating and getting crumbs or splashes of soup in them, and just sort of smearing it in/away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

fiachraX wrote: »
    Beards/moustaches have an unhygienic vibe for me. You see guys eating and getting crumbs or splashes of soup in them, and just sort of smearing it in/away.

Ah come on! Have you ever genuinely seen crumbs or soup in a beard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Passenger wrote: »
    Ah come on! Have you ever genuinely seen crumbs or soup in a beard?

hahahahahahahaha!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

mod snip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

WTF.....get a grip for fecks sake.

WTF.....get a grip for fecks sake.

I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Speaking as a well dressed bloke who couldn't be anymore heterosexual if I tried, it has been a common theme throughout my adult life, and not just me, ditto for some of my more well dressed colleagues and friends

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

What an interesting list. My girlfriend only ever mentions my height therefore my arse mustn't be anything special :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I can't remember how to embed YouTube videos on mobile so I'll just post the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpkSejI8OQE

It's a Corgi twerking to the song "Bubble Butt"

Made me smile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    - A "10 female features men like" featuring the same in the top 3 would cause outcries of sexism, superficiality and accusation of causing eating disorders;

Not really, there are plenty of lists saying men like boobs, asses, etc. For example:

http://www.cosmopolitan.com.au/relationships/what-men-want/2013/11/body-bits-guys-love/

It's certainly not sexist to say what body parts you like.

In general; when I see a man who has a choice of women (rich/famous/good-looking, charismatic, etc), his partner is really hot. When I see a woman with a choice of men; their partners have a wider variety of looks and personalities.

More a trend than a generalisation. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Speaking as a well dressed bloke who couldn't be anymore heterosexual if I tried, it has been a common theme throughout my adult life, and not just me, ditto for some of my more well dressed colleagues and friends
    Haha I just had the past four days stag nights being shocked at my hairstyle when I was working in the bar, Marco Reus has a lot to anwser for :pac:
    100% agree with you about the whole stylish=gay around here

Advertisement