Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What women like in men...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Well, most times when guys voice the opinion that they feel women dress in order to compete, they get shot down and told that women don't do that at all. Indeed I was just reading a recent thread on that very topic and the guys who said this, were accused of having issues with women. So nice to see a woman admit that this can indeed be the case and that competing is a factor for women when they are deciding what to wear on a night out. .

The main opinion I've heard from men on Boards in the past is that women dress to compete among themselves within their groups - that we dress for each other, not for the attention of men.

And Beks WAS referring to the "scene" (the scene where people go out to score), so it'd be obvious that women would dress up for the attention of fellas if that's their aim.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I wonder has anyone ever tested this out?

Set up two profiles, identical but for the pictures. Send messages, see what replies you get.

I mean, we all know what the results would be but.........

I've even got a photo up. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

10) Chest/Shoulders muscles;
    3) Flat stomach;
    2) Thinness;
    1) Buttocks;

Jeeze, gotta hit the gym harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

The most attractive man that has approached me on a night out was way over twice my age, had just come into the pub in his work gear and was not "scrubbed up" in the slightest. He was confident but not in a cocky way, just happy in himself and not really worried about making an impression if that makes sense. And he wasn't what I would consider conventionally attractive either, he was just charismatic I guess, so sometimes it really doesn't matter what you look like or how well you present yourself, but it does help to put your best foot forward, for confidence in your own appearance if nothing else

That's just one story of course, but there was nothing surprising there for me, have seen this kind of thing all my life. Looks, been well dressed and well groomed opens sooooo many doors with regards to attracting women. The more boxes you tick, the better, but personality has little if anything to do with attracting women who don't know who you are in my experience. You can be soundest, funniest, confident, most easy going bloke in the world, but if you're not atheistically pleasing, that won't matter a jot.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here but what is asthetically pleasing really does vary from woman to woman. Well dressed and well groomed means a completely different things to me than it does to my best friend, for example. It seems really obvious to say it but when I read that women only go for a certain type of man (tall, model-like, suited up) on these kinds of threads, I'm shaking my head thinking, "Noooooo!". My idea of hell is a tall, groomed, suited (and quite possibly vain) man tbh. Good looks mean different things to different women as it does to a man.

All those traits you listed can also make an average-looking man very attractive as well but they have to come naturally to the man in question and if I have an inkling that it doesn't, it'd be a turn off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭IHeartShoes

The answer to the above is very much that it is based on the individual woman.

My 2 cents comes from recent experience in online dating. When starting in online dating, I dated one at a time not having the headspace for more than one. But a more recent experience convinced me to try the concurrent thing so I did date 3 blokes at one time and it might surprise some of the previous posters to note my final choice given comments about top 10 attributes that women go for.

1. Traditional tall silver-fox and handsome. I am 5ft 7 (and a half:)). He is 6ft 2 and drop dead gorgeous, slim build. Architect by trade and all round great guy. Bit too keen if I had to pick a fault. Has a small child whom he sees weekly but really, very available for relationship.

2. Approximately 5ft 9, little taller than me but as I always wear heels, hard to guesstimate. The silver-fox look that you see on chaps in 30/40's. Attractive but not as attractive as number 1 with athletic build, I suppose. The most chivalrous and generous of the three and would probably make the best boyfriend. Senior in sports industry. No baggage and while a little bit of a workaholic, would certainly be available for relationship.

3. 5ft 8 at the very most and actually I think really only the same height as me. Cute as opposed to attractive. That said, I find him v attractive while some of my friends just don't see it. Great personality with that easy confidence. Build, probably a little overweight if one were to be hyper critical. Electrical engineer and works antisocial hours so not really that conducive to a relationship. Also has 2 children he sees very regularly around his working hours so less available than above.

Number 3 is the one that appealed most to me despite other two looking better on paper. In fact there was no real competition. It came down to chemistry and overall attraction. We just clicked on all levels, physical and personality-wise and that was it. Well for now, early days:)

I didn't intend the above to come across as clinical as it reads and no one thing in particular ever dictates my choice with potential dates i.e looks, job, baggage etc

In short, in my experience and witnessing whom my friends date long term and are ultimately the more attracted to, its not true to say that dall, dark and handsome always or even nearly always wins the girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

The main opinion I've heard from men on Boards in the past is that women dress to compete among themselves within their groups - that we dress for each other, not for the attention of men.

And Beks WAS referring to the "scene" (the scene where people go out to score), so it'd be obvious that women would dress up for the attention of fellas if that's their aim.

Women post selfies and dress to compete with and to ingratiate themselves with other women.

I think as we get older we do it more for ourselves. And I think friendlier girls are less competitive.

Generally speaking we only know we look good if other women think we look good. Because what we think of as attractive and what men do is not the same. We don't to look the way men want us to look. Sometimes I look at the 'easy on the eye threads and go really?' But that is just what men like fair enough. The way men like women to look or dress is a lot less subtle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Set up two profiles, identical but for the pictures. Send messages, see what replies you get.

Well obviously someone thats attractive is going to get more replies.

:confused:

I dont know why its so surprising (apparently it is to some on this thread) that better looking people have more luck with the opposite sex.

Online dating is a hugely fickle enterprise so EVERYONE that uses it will be rejected at some point or another, some more than others.

In my experience its looks that will attract someone but its personality that will keep them interested after the initial conversation, usually at least.

Lou.m wrote: »
    Women post selfies and dress to compete with and to ingratiate themselves with other women.

I think as we get older we do it more for ourselves. And I think friendlier girls are less competitive.

Generally speaking we only know we look good if other women think we look good. Because what we think of as attractive and what men do is not the same. We don't to look the way men want us to look. Sometimes I look at the 'easy on the eye threads and go really?' But that is just what men like fair enough. The way men like women to look or dress is a lot less subtle.

Who knows. I'm too old for all that shenenigans and don't know what the young ones are up to anymore. ;) One of the benefits of aging tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Some posters here seem to resent the fact that the women they pursue will base their initial attraction on looks and reject you if you're not of a certain standard. But are these posters not contradicting themselves here? Wouldn't it be fair to say the person you are chatting up has been singled out by you because you were attracted to their looks?

You didn't spot her across a crowded room and say, phwoar, I bet she has a great personality!! It was her looks, plain and simple that attracted you. Yet, when she is not interested, she is accused of being dismissive or shallow or not giving you a chance just because you don't have conventional good looks. You are using the same criteria by approaching her and avoiding the many other below average looking women present that do not turn you on physically. Yet she is supposed to give you a chance? Using that logic why don't you give the ugly girls a chance and approach them?

People cannot establish attractions based on personality and traits in the first few seconds or minutes (or logner) which is why physical attraction is the primary initial driver. Don't resent those girls (or guys) who turn you down if that initial chemistry is not there. You would do likewise if the tables were turned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

OKcupid has a nice statistical break down of reply rates by gender and race. Also other stats based on age, reported income and so on...

Basically: 42% of messages sent by women get responses, 27% of messages sent by men get responded to.
    But: that doesn't account for the fact that there are some men sending messages like "Hey U so HoT! What to screw?" to as many women as they can in a carpet bombing approach.

I'd like to see a standardised message like just "Hi" sent out from two accounts to say a thousand random people each and see what's the response rate like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Yes, that is the opinion I was referring to. When men have expressed it, they were accused of having issues and trying to stir things for women, as if there was no truth to it and they were making it up. A woman has also admitted on the thread that selfies are used for similar reasons. Again, I'm just pointing out that it seems when guys point these things out, they are liars, but clearly they are not as there is ample evidence that this crap goes on.

I am well aware of what Beks was referring to, not sure why you're making this point as it was clear that I knew she was making the comments in the context of the "scene". I also quoted everything she said, and so left no no doubt as to the context.

However, on reflection, saying "women have to compete too, you know" was blatant whataboutery and no doubt if a guy were to say "men have to compete too, you know" on a thread where the conversation was supposed to from the perspective of women, he would very quickly be called on it, but yet when women do it, it seems to not garner the same level of vitriol. No surprise there but maybe it's time it did.
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here but what is asthetically pleasing really does vary from woman to woman.

Yes and it varies from man to man also. Some guys like women in flat shoes and millions are into BBW (overweight women). Does the existence of such men mean that women aren't under constant pressure to meet a certain physical ideal and that discussion of those ideals is pointless as a result? Of course not and so what some women find attractive also doesn't change the fact that men are under pressure to meet certain general aesthetic ideals of our own, no matter how many women have preferences that don't make the list.

Yes and it varies from man to man also. Some guys like women in flat shoes and millions are into BBW (overweight women). Does the existence of such men mean that women aren't under constant pressure to meet a certain physical ideal and that discussion of those ideals is pointless as a result? Of course not and so what some women find attractive also doesn't change the fact that men are under pressure to meet certain general aesthetic ideals of our own, no matter how many women have preferences that don't make the list.

I did actually state that it varied from man to man also. I never stated anything contrary to what you said above. The pressure is there in both genders of course but instead of deciding you don't fit into the ideal of what women want and giving up, maybe look on the positive side and realise taste is more varied than we're lead to believe.

Good looks mean different things to different women as it does to a man.

However, on reflection, saying "women have to compete too, you know" was blatant whataboutery and no doubt if a guy were to say "men have to compete too, you know" on a thread where the conversation was supposed to from the perspective of women, he would very quickly be called on it, but yet when women do it, it seems to not garner the same level of vitriol. No surprise there but maybe it's time it did.

Sounds like you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. She said it as a btw, not as her main point. And as the topic is about what women want, the comment couldn't be viewed as whataboutery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Yes, that is the opinion I was referring to. When men have expressed it, they were accused of having issues and trying to stir things for women, as if there was no truth to it and they were making it up. A woman has also admitted on the thread that selfies are used for similar reasons. Again, I'm just pointing out that it seems when guys point these things out, they are liars, but clearly they are not as there is ample evidence that this crap goes on.

I am well aware of what Beks was referring to, not sure why you're making this point as it was clear that I knew she was making the comments in the context of the "scene". I also quoted everything she said, and so left no no doubt as to the context.

Good Christ man.

That 'women have to compete too you know' was bracketed, which generally suggests something is less emphatic and more of a btw to the main point of a sentence, as Legs pointed out.

And in the context of the scene you described in an earlier post where two girls blatantly ignored a school of attempted approaches until a pair of what you perceived to be smarmy, 'male model' types came along, it's hardly inappropriate to point out that women feel a pressure to meet some ideal visual too in these situations if their intention is to attract male attention and score. This is a universal thing. This is how attraction works to a very, very large degree in a pub or club setting.

It doesn't mean that a man who isn't blessed with the looks of a male model can't be successful in these environments. It doesn't mean that his personality and the nature of his approach is entirely irrelevant or that an objectively average looking guy can't also be a bit of a ladies man . Actually the most popular 'ladies man' I know isn't anything special to look at but just has this energy, a charisma that any woman I've talked to about him agrees on, that makes him positively magnetic and compelling to the opposite sex. From an objective standpoint it's probably confidence, humour and a general comfort and enjoyment of female company - not just a desire to get inside a woman's knickers. Which no matter what you say - is as obvious as a smack in the face most of the time to any woman.

But on the whole, this is an overly superficial environment we're talking about and if you want to succeed, play the game - dress up, look sharp, keep yourself in wicked shape. You probably won't get rejected at the same rate, at least instantly.

These are things I used to notice myself in pubs and clubs. There was a grand world of a difference in the attention and stares and smiles and approaches I'd get when dressed in casual jeans and a t-shirt with little makeup on, versus full face of makeup and legs and/or boobs out, hair styled, flashy clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

NZ_2014 wrote: »
    Jeeze, gotta hit the gym harder.
    Squats brah Squats :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Lou.m wrote: »

Ah now you cant judge us all on the girls in the EOTE thread, Ive posted in there but 99% of the girls are bikini girls and I for one dont get the appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

kiffer wrote: »
    OKcupid has a nice statistical break down of reply rates by gender and race. Also other stats based on age, reported income and so on...

Basically: 42% of messages sent by women get responses, 27% of messages sent by men get responded to.
    But: that doesn't account for the fact that there are some men sending messages like "Hey U so HoT! What to screw?" to as many women as they can in a carpet bombing approach.

I'd like to see a standardised message like just "Hi" sent out from two accounts to say a thousand random people each and see what's the response rate like.

Women are very unlikely to respond to a message just saying hi though. Men are more likely to, on the basis that men respond to more messages than women. Having said that, I've never got a first message of any substance from a woman. This isn't a generalisation, but my experience that any message hasn't been any more than " Hi, how are you?" If I sent that message every time, I'd be getting less replies.

Sounds like you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. She said it as a btw, not as her main point.

And as the topic is about what women want, the comment couldn't be viewed as whataboutery.

From a male perspective, yes.. and I am not making a mountain out of what she said, it was just a three line comment in a very long post.
    beks101 wrote: »
    Good Christ man.

That 'women have to compete too you know' was bracketed, which generally suggests something is less emphatic and more of a btw to the main point of a sentence, as Legs pointed out.

Makes no difference if you bracketed it, beks. The comment was still made in obvious retort to what I had said and was said also in a quite dismissive tone.Not sure why is it so hard to consider what I (or any guy) says from a male perspective without having to knee-jerk with "'women have to compete too you know'". How does that add to the discussion about how men experience these things?

Saying "'women have to compete too you know'" just comes across as an attempt to trivialise what are very real issues for a LOT of men. Kinda implies they are whinging about something they shouldn't be. Guilt them into silence I guess as no man wants to be seen as whinging.
    And in the context of the scene you described in an earlier post where two girls blatantly ignored a school of attempted approaches until a pair of what you perceived to be smarmy, 'male model' types came along, it's hardly inappropriate to point out that women feel a pressure to meet some ideal visual too in these situations if their intention is to attract male attention and score. This is a universal thing. This is how attraction works to a very, very large degree in a pub or club setting.
    Here you go again. I have already made the point that women are under pressure to meet certain ideals. It's quite obvious that I am not of the opinion that they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

he would very quickly be called on it, but yet when women do it, it seems to not garner the same level of vitriol.

...and you've decided to make it your mission to balance the sh1t scales? Fight sh1t with sh1t? Big oul sh1t fight?

Seems like everyone's gonna end up covered in sh1t to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭the blunder years

strobe wrote: »
    ...and you've decided to make it your mission to balance the sh1t scales? Fight sh1t with sh1t? Big oul sh1t fight?

Seems like everyone's gonna end up covered in sh1t to me.

Poo flinging always ends in tears, no one wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Mod
    Alright- can we leave the bickering out and get back on topic now, please and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was told by a few girls I used to work with that a lot of girls will outright refuse to even consider dating someone who's shorter than them and any potential partner must be a few inches taller to compensate for when she's wearing heels.
    They also told me that an awful lot of black women will only date Caucasian men. I don't know if anyone here's ever heard that one.

I've dated a few black women, they said they prefer white guys, I think it's just a personal preference rather than a trend TBH.

Interesting female take on things here:
    First Impressions: 7 Things Women Notice

Gentlemen – Let’s talk about first impressions. Specifically the kind you make on us ladies when we first meet you.

Women size you up as soon as you say “hello.”

The funny thing is she might not even realize the mental checklist forming in her head.

But make no mistake; she’s ticking off good and bad boxes. And you know what they say about first impressions – you only get to make them once.

So make yours count.

Below are 7 visual and audio cues a woman immediately notices and how you can get it right.

1) Your Shoes

Why it matters: If eyes are the window to the soul, then shoes are the window to your style. Wear the wrong ones, and you’ll telegraph a less-than-ideal message. If they look flimsy, she’ll suspect you’re a cheapskate. If they’re ratty and worn-down, she’ll think you don’t care about your appearance (and will wonder what else you don’t care about).
    How to get it right: Consider shoes an investment. Spend what you can on a few good pairs – dress shoes in both black and brown, and a loafer or driving moccasin for more casual outfits. And be sure your shoes are outfit-appropriate – that means no sneakers or sandals with a suit.

2) Your Greeting

Why it matters: Why do you think it’s so nerve-wracking when contestants first get out of the limo on The Bachelor? And guys, don’t pretend you haven’t watched this addictive reality series at least once. It’s because they only get a few words and gestures to make a good first impression. A greeting is the first opportunity to present yourself the way you want to be seen. Your handshake, smile and “hello” all contribute.
    How to get it right: Be confident, but friendly. Don’t look past us, or up and down our frame before you reach our face. Of course, if you can barely make eye contact from nerves, that’s not very appealing either. Look us in the eye, smile warmly, and repeat our name (to help you remember it). And never underestimate the power of a firm handshake.

Take that hand out of your pocket and introduce yourself with a handshake.

3) Your Hands

Why it matters: Since we’re already talking about handshakes, let’s discuss the state of your skin. I know that “Moisturize” probably isn’t high on your list of daily “To Do’s.” But rough hands are not something we ladies want to put up with. No one wants to touch scaly skin. Even if you think moisturizing isn’t “manly,” it’s in your best interest to keep your skin smooth.
    How to get it right: Keep a hand cream at your desk at work and use it when you’re brainstorming your fantasy football lineup or trying to decide what to eat for lunch.

4 ) Your “Look”

Why it matters: There are, of course, big fashion deal breakers guys (hopefully) know not to make. Showing up to a date in an “I’m with Stupid” t-shirt, for instance. Or walking into a business meeting wearing a Confederate flag biker jacket.
    But usually, it’s smaller things that can trip you up with a first impression. A sloppy, untucked shirt – pants that clearly haven’t been pressed – muddy, grass-stained shoes.
    How to get it right: Do a full-mirror scan before you leave your house. Do you look put together? Is your hair combed? Your shoelaces tied? Does your belt match your shoes? A quick once-over will save you from little mistakes in a first impression.
    Throwing on a jacket is always a safe bet.

5) Your Watch

Why it matters: Women don’t expect every man to flex a Rolex, but we do expect you to wear a man’s – not a kid’s – watch. No Mickey Mouse faces. No calculator watches. And nothing made of rubber if you’re not running a marathon.
    How to get it right: If it’s time to upgrade your wrist wear, do a reconnaissance mission at your local department store’s watch counter to see what strikes your fancy. You can’t go wrong with a metal bracelet with a dark face, or a simple-yet-classic leather band with white face. Nothing showy, but nothing that suggests you won it in a carnival game either.

6) Your Grammar

Why it matters: Even in the first exchange of “Hello’s” and “Hi my name is” pleasantries, ladies are making judgments. We notice if you’re using big words or not, if you say “umm,” call us “dude” or “babe,” and if your vocabulary is riddled with curses.
    How to get it right: Read more books? We’re not asking for ten-dollar words dropped into every sentence, but we want to feel confident that you can hold up your end of a conversation if we introduce you to our friends or family without fear of you embarrassing us.

7) Your Hair

Why it matters: The way you wear your hair says a lot about you. A combover trying to cover up a bald patch – you’ll seem insecure. Greasy locks that look like they haven’t been washed in days – a total turn-off.
    How to get it right: Women have different opinions on the “right” length of hair, but that’s subjective. What’s more important is how it’s styled. Or really, if it’s styled at all. If you wear your hair longer, make sure it’s in check when you walk out the door. A little – not a lot – of product is best. If you’re going bald, just shave it off and rock a bare scalp without shame.
    These lists are inevitably full of generalizations, and while I don't agree with all of the above, as some of it sounds like it is aimed at certain types of specific settings perhaps, but overall I think there is a lot of truth in it.

As a scruffy biker type, who has had shoulder length hair off and on for over two decades or more, I know from experience that whenever I had my hair recently styled, wore a suit or was dressing to impress in general (for a job interview, a wedding etc) I got a thousand times more attention from women. It really was and is, like night and day, compared to when I just wore casual jeans, boots and was unshaven.

Even just walking towards women on a footpath, their body language is so much different when they find you aesthetically pleasing, than if they don't, or at least it is in my experience. Of course, some women prefer the scruffy look on guys, the pubs I drink in are full of them but by and large, and aside from the physical attributes already discussed in the OP, I find that the above article is spot on about what some of the other things women find visually attractive in men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Regarding that list I don't particularly believe in first impression except for interviews! I mean, we often make presumption about the people we first meet, but once you meet them everyday, your opinion of them changes.

Some women might do that in their head (I thoughts honestly don't run through my head. The shoes!? I never paid any attention to that unless you were wearing a suit with trainers, then I would take notice!).

Honestly, you can think upon first meeting a guy that he seems great and then once you get to know him he turns out to be a jerk or the other way round. Trust me, first impressions aren't much to go by.

Regarding that list I don't particularly believe in first impression except for interviews! I mean, we often make presumption about the people we first meet, but once you meet them everyday, your opinion of them changes.

Some women might do that in their head (I thoughts honestly don't run through my head. The shoes!? I never paid any attention to that unless you were wearing a suit with trainers, then I would take notice!).

Honestly, you can think upon first meeting a guy that he seems great and then once you get to know him he turns out to be a jerk or the other way round. Trust me, first impressions aren't much to go by.

Oh absolutely. I agree with all of you say which is why I don't think guys should focus on getting girls in clubs and pubs, as it is in these places where they will tend to be judged on superficial things.

Not that they won't get some women judging them on these things outside of those settings, but I just think your personality and non-physical attributes have more of a chance of shining when almost anywhere else other than the pub and club scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I take issue with the shoes. I don't wear beat up shoes but I don't particularly care how expensive they are or look, any woman that did I would gladly miss out on that opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I know it's just a list but Hair Product? Fair enough if someone wants to use it but it is completely unnecessary. I think most of that list could be summed up with 'Basic Hygiene'. Hands don't require moisturising unless someone has a condition. Is that list sponsered by boots?

EDIT: It seems I made the mistake of taking that list any way seriously :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ifaptwohanded

I don't ever remember getting handed a book on the do's and dont's when it came to a man's appearance when trying to impress a lady. Every man has his own style and to me it comes down to basic hygiene and common sense, if you're trying to look good or take pride in your appearance you will dress to impress and keep yourself clean.

• Advertisement

I take issue with the shoes.

It's futile man. Women be judging your on your shoes and you need to accept it :P

Judging Male Sexual Attractiveness Based On The Shoes They Wear
    What Men’s Shoes Say About Their Dating Personalities
    Guys, Women Are Judging Your Shoes

Advertisement