Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P. Ultimate Warrior (Jim Hellwig)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭savemejebus

It is eerie how in his HOF induction he talked about happily trading years at the end of his life for the experience of pushing his body to the max during his career ..and then this, maybe he had a feeling something wasn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

dont remember the warroir much in his wwf days as i was too young but id say he was some wrestler. His theme rocked. Loved his hof speech and the promo on raw. Hard to believe hes gone after appearing on raw the night before his death

RIP WARRIOR there will be never anyone like you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

RIP Warrior.

The human heart is not built for the kind of endurance he went through. Sadly inevitable that this would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

I have to say that I stopped following wrestling a long time ago, but in the early 90's when I followed it big time, Ultimate Warrior was my hero. I remember WrestleMania VI (If I remember correctly), when he fought Hulk Hogan. When he pinned him after Hogan planted his boot in UW's head coming off the ropes, I remember my Mum running into the room thinking I was having a fit or something.

Happy memories. So sad to hear of the loss. The legend will live on, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

It is eerie how in his HOF induction he talked about happily trading years at the end of his life for the experience of pushing his body to the max during his career ..and then this, maybe he had a feeling something wasn't right.

I just watched his return to the ring on Raw earlier this week, and I gotta say, his words were pretty prophetic!

Apologies if this has been posted already, I admit, I haven't read the entire thread!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

ROH posted an enactment/tribute from last year of Wrestlemania 7:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Former WWE star Diamond Dallas Page appeared on Nancy Grace tonight to speak on the death of the Ultimate Warrior.

Grace began with the news recap of Warrior's death, then continued to reiterate an overly-dramatic subliminal message throughout the segment that "rumors of steroid and drug use are swirling" in the case of Ultimate Warrior's death.

To my knowledge, there hasn't been a single media outlet that has linked steroid or drug use to the sudden death of Ultimate Warrior.

Grace brought a doctor onto the show to discuss the long term effects anabolic steroids have on your body, and the lasting problems they can cause even if you've stopped using them long ago. This was clearly Grace's indirect way to blame Warrior's past steroid use (which he has admitted to) for his death yesterday.

At one point in the segment, she listed numerous pro wrestling names who have died young, and attempted to group them into the same "steroid" umbrella that she was using against Warrior, even if some of the names she mentioned had never been linked to steroid use.

DDP talked briefly about wrestlers using steroids in the past, but praised WWE's Wellness Policy for getting guys like Scott Hall and Jake Roberts the help they needed to get their lives back on track following their past drug use.

Grace continued to reiterate "rumors of steroid and drug use are swirling," and then introduced a correspondent who spoke on the "catastrophic medical condition" Warrior suffered yesterday. Grace asked for clarification of the phrase "catastrophic medical condition," but the correspondent said nothing else is known at this time. She did mention most people believe the cause of Warrior's death to be a heart attack, but those details remain unconfirmed.

DDP mentioned Warrior's vigorous workout habits, and noted he was a very intense man, but added he is not a doctor, and cannot speak to the truth of any drug or steroid related causes of Warrior's death.

The segment closed with Grace reiterating, for the hundredth time, "rumors of steroid and drug use are swirling," and at this point she's said it so many times she has to be the person who started the rumors, and is continuing to "swirl" them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

When is Vince McMahon ever going to address the drug problem in WWE?

He already has, starting 20 years ago.

Ultimate Warrior was from a different era; expect the media to ignore that fact though.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭baldstuffandy

I was speaking generally - there has been far too many premature deaths in the WWE. It's about time they actually did something about it.

That's my opinion.

It's too late to do anything for the guys that HAVE taken steroids in the past. But WWE is taking drugs with CURRENT stars extremely serious. Hence the Wellness policy and the Three strikes and your out program.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Former WWE star Diamond Dallas Page appeared on Nancy Grace tonight to speak on the death of the Ultimate Warrior.

Grace began with the news recap of Warrior's death, then continued to reiterate an overly-dramatic subliminal message throughout the segment that "rumors of steroid and drug use are swirling" in the case of Ultimate Warrior's death.

To my knowledge, there hasn't been a single media outlet that has linked steroid or drug use to the sudden death of Ultimate Warrior.

Grace brought a doctor onto the show to discuss the long term effects anabolic steroids have on your body, and the lasting problems they can cause even if you've stopped using them long ago. This was clearly Grace's indirect way to blame Warrior's past steroid use (which he has admitted to) for his death yesterday.

At one point in the segment, she listed numerous pro wrestling names who have died young, and attempted to group them into the same "steroid" umbrella that she was using against Warrior, even if some of the names she mentioned had never been linked to steroid use.

DDP talked briefly about wrestlers using steroids in the past, but praised WWE's Wellness Policy for getting guys like Scott Hall and Jake Roberts the help they needed to get their lives back on track following their past drug use.

Grace continued to reiterate "rumors of steroid and drug use are swirling," and then introduced a correspondent who spoke on the "catastrophic medical condition" Warrior suffered yesterday. Grace asked for clarification of the phrase "catastrophic medical condition," but the correspondent said nothing else is known at this time. She did mention most people believe the cause of Warrior's death to be a heart attack, but those details remain unconfirmed.

DDP mentioned Warrior's vigorous workout habits, and noted he was a very intense man, but added he is not a doctor, and cannot speak to the truth of any drug or steroid related causes of Warrior's death.

The segment closed with Grace reiterating, for the hundredth time, "rumors of steroid and drug use are swirling," and at this point she's said it so many times she has to be the person who started the rumors, and is continuing to "swirl" them.

I have only ever known one person that uses Fox News as their source of news. He's spent well over ten grand on Star Wars merch (lives at home, works in retail part-time) thinks 9/11 was an inside job, thinks the "New World Order" is gonna take over "in the future" (However he previously said when Obama got voted in they would show their true face then) thinks that when Osama Bin Laden was killed that he never actually was and U.S used a body double. Also, reminds me that a few years ago I had a bet on with him when the recession first started, he claimed by 2013 the whole world would have one currency called the Phoenix and that oil will cost $400 a barrel. Must cash that one in actually. Also a huge fan of Alex Jones and Glenn Beck.

And for the last 5 years every year thinks Sting will beat Taker for the Streak. :pac:

EDIT: Sorry Furious Red, I do realise you were posting this to point out how ignorant this piece was. But I hate most American news outlets so went on a bit of a rant :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Reading Nancy Grace's wikipedia page... what a cnut!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Wow. Nancy Graces wiki page is a good read. She sounds like a vile human being who will stop at nothing to fuel her own agenda. Some of those stories I had never heard of and the things shes done to innocent people without the whole facts is nothing short of disgusting. Her "guilty til proven innocent" attitude, coupled with her lack of remorse, respect and tack is nothing short of pure evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

No idea why DDP went on that show, fair enough if he was ready to challenge her but it sounds like he was quite submissive.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Nancy Grace is a professional troll. She plays a character just as much as any wrestler. That being said, she is a prick, but a millionaire one sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Bringing up steroids and Warrior is fair game imo as it's a fact he did them but she lumped Owen Hart in with wrestler deaths who did drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Bringing up steroids and Warrior is fair game imo as it's a fact he did them but she lumped Owen Hart in with wrestler deaths who did drugs.

She would have been reading off a roll of names. She could have just as easily mentioned John Tenta. She isn't respected for journalistic integrity / research etc, she just about sensationalism. She was calling him "Ultimate" throughout, as if that was his name. Take it for what it was: just some old bat ranting for the sake of it (or money) with no research.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Nancy Grace is the one that Bryan Alvarez was smirking on that one time aye?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Wasn't sure where to post this but seems fitting to put it here:

http://www.profightdb.com/wrestlers-with-highest-win-percentages.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭Dep!

Sting posted the following on Facebook this morning, commenting on Warrior's death…
    "Mourning the loss of Jim Hellwig. I don't believe anyone has ever published this picture before today. The snapshot was taken two days before Thanksgiving in 1985, as we prepared to leave my house in Newhall, California and embark on a career in wrestling.

Jim always challenged me to strive at being the best, and I'll forever be grateful for the encouragement and motivation he provided.

I was looking forward to catching up with him, and I'm saddened we didn't have that opportunity before he passed. My heart goes out to his wife Dana and their two daughters, and they will remain in my prayers."

1947991_702139109806348_3367044664063846247_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

No idea why DDP went on that show, fair enough if he was ready to challenge her but it sounds like he was quite submissive.

1959337_488561427939919_7307590461334683575_n.jpg?oh=12c236562307aaa2714954c329c0e7da&oe=53CAF51F

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Wrestlers don't have any business going on these horrible US tabloid 'news' programmes expecting to be treated fairly. You'd have to be living under a rock not to know that. I don't know what these wrestlers are thinking because it's not a level playing field. That said, the smirking condescending cocksureness of people when something happens with a wrestler is infuriating. Somehow, on this one particular occasion they turn into self proclaimed experts, whose opinion is infallible, even though they can't do basic maths in their head, spell, use decent grammar or use series link on Sky +.

Michael Cole says on Smackdown (it has already aired in Australia) that Raw will be an Ultimate Warrior tribute show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

1959337_488561427939919_7307590461334683575_n.jpg?oh=12c236562307aaa2714954c329c0e7da&oe=53CAF51F

He should have been more cynical and anticipate a hatchet job, I suppose that's not in his nature though (only wanting to see the best in people and all that).

rovert wrote: »
    Michael Cole says on Smackdown (it has already aired in Australia) that Raw will be an Ultimate Warrior tribute show.

I really hope they open the show with a slo mo video package of career highlights set to an emotional sounding acoustic rock song. Because that's never been done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

briany wrote: »
    I really hope they open the show with a slo mo video package of career highlights set to an emotional sounding acoustic rock song. Because that's never been done before.

TBF, the WWE are the best at doing them.

I'll miss warrior. He was one of a kind, kinda like a real life cartoon who really believed what he was doing. When his music hit, you knew **** was about to go down.

Rest in peace Jim.

Also time for Mason Ryan or Mojo Rawley to debut.

He should have been more cynical and anticipate a hatchet job, I suppose that's not in his nature though (only wanting to see the best in people and all that).

DDP's irrepressibly upbeat but I don't believe that he's naive. I suspect that he was given certain assurances by the producers which were reneged upon, but not in enough of a way as to be legally actionable.

The open of Smackdown:

Bk9dSrdCQAAFsjZ.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Bk-m-vSCMAAP_IY.jpg

Advertisement