Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P. Ultimate Warrior (Jim Hellwig)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Very sad to see yet another of the icons of my childhood wink out at such a young age.
    So many of them gone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Woke up this morning to this, thought it was one of those hoaxes that go around, then started seeing Vinces and Stephanies tweets then the rest filling my twitter feed and knew it had to be true,

The only consolation is he managed to right WWE's wrongs against him going back to the destruction dvd before he passed

RIP Warrior

Always Believe

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Easy to say in hindsight but he looked terrible in that Raw promo. Very eerie timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

RIP Ultimate Warrior

This is really mad. I've only come across the OSW reviews recently so I was only just after watching the WM6 episode last week. He was before my time but I really grew an appreciation for the character and for the Jim Hellwig himself over the last fortnight.

What a peak to leave on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i thought he looked particularly red at Mania but didnt see raw yet.

Terribly Sad altogether RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

This news has floored me. What a shock. You hear so many stories of the body and mind holding on for something then giving out and I really think this is what happened here. Terrible shame.

I love the Warrior man. I agree with a lot of his views and morals.Big shame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Easy to say in hindsight but he looked terrible in that Raw promo. Very eerie timing.

Wasn't a hindsight thing a lot of people commented on it. He seemed to have a bit of panic attack when he struggled with his face mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Random thought, but imagine if Warrior ended the streak and then died 2 days later. One stunning shock followed directly by another. Would there ever have been a more talked about story in wrestling, past or present?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Was hoping this was fake when I saw it trending on Twitter a moment ago. Very much saddened. Hogan vs Warrior was the first match I ever saw and got me hooked onto wrestling. Glad he made peace with the WWE and he got into HOF before his passing, but I can't help but think of his family and the two daughters who accompanied him onto the stage on Saturday.

RIP Warrior

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Christ, Tubridy just closed his show with Warrior's theme. I almost had a little emotional moment in the library!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭clown2brown

Wow, he's gone. More unexpected than Macho Mans passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Reebrock wrote: »
    Random thought, but imagine if Warrior ended the streak and then died 2 days later. One stunning shock followed directly by another. Would there ever have been a more talked about story in wrestling, past or present?

I don't know, I'd say Chris Benoit killing his family and then himself will always be the number one because of the sheer tragedy and darkness surrounding it.

A couple of weeks ago, it wouldn't have bothered me too much that he'd died because of the public persona he'd created in recent years but seeing his adorable family at the HoF and his seemingly sincere happiness to be involved, along with that little speech on RAW really humanised him to a lot of us. There's an actual man to grieve behind that mask, it would seem. Thoughts are certainly with his family at this time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Another wrestling legend gone. Just found out on twitter and came straight here - totally shocked! Glad he got honoured this weekend in the HoF. The timing is very spooky though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Wow this is beyond eerie.. HOF and First Raw in 18 years, dead the next Day.. Shockingly sad.. The fact that he was such an obviously devoted family man, and how young his kids are make this all the sadder.. Wrestling related deaths never shock me, but this one has

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

R.I.P. such sad news, life can be so sh***y, great to see him looks so happy over the last few days, he will always be such a big part of my childhood. Thoughts go out to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

wow, this has been a surreal few days in pro wrestling,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

krudler wrote: »
    wow, this has been a surreal few days in pro wrestling,

It truly has. The craziest week I can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭cena

R.I.p. such sad news. Tear in my eye writing this. He looked so good over the weekend.
    Way too young and leaving a young family behide.

Really shocked when I seen this thread. Presumed it was going to be a joke thread or something silly.

What struck me most about the Warrior's Hall of Fame appearance, is that he wasn't the rambling, incoherent mess I was half-expecting him to be. He made an awful lot of sense and gave a truly fantastic speech (I'm not one for watching full length speeches, but his was excellent).

He also gave good, honest thoughts and advice (like telling the younger lads to get their act together and that they should be preparing now, for their post-wrestling lifestyle, and that the older lads should be helping the younger guys out, etc).

Really taken aback by the timing of this all. Hopefully the family will be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

My favourite wrestler along with hacksaw jim duggan when i was young, RIP UW:(

these guys dont tend to last very long do they

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

Definite favourite of mine growing up...very sad news. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Looking at his speach on raw it seems like he knew what was coming

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Looking at his speach on raw it seems like he knew what was coming

Doubt it. He may have known he wasn't feeling well, but his speech was moreso that this was probably his last chance to talk to the audience for the foreseeable future (with WM weekend being over).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

So sad. He looked a bit red but nothing which would make you think he was hours from death

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭A-Train

RIP so sad and surreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Crazy to learn of this today. I grew up watching the Warrior between 87-90.

I don't follow wrestlers tweets/videos etc, I actually watched a lot of his videos on his 'MrUltimateWarrior' channel after encountering his shoot video on Hulk Hogan. He had very extreme views on a variety of subjects but I found him an inspiring motivational speaker.

It was a really good channel if you haven't checked it out yet.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

For all the giving out people do about wrestling, there sure are some amount of fans popping up all over the place 2day on the news and especially on Facebook saying how sad it is. Just seems an excuse for some people to get some "likes" in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

For all the giving out people do about wrestling, there sure are some amount of fans popping up all over the place 2day on the news and especially on Facebook saying how sad it is. Just seems an excuse for some people to get some "likes" in my opinion.

I dunno, that's a pretty cynical idea! The ones who always thought wrestling was sh1t won't care anyway. There's nothing strange about liking wrestling in phases, the current product isn't exactly aimed at 30-something year olds who grew up watching the Warrior and co anyway, but it doesn't take away that Warrior was a true childhood icon to millions and people want to show a mark of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Considering Hall and Jakes problems in the past,who would've thought that out of the 3 main guys that went into the HOF this year that Warrior would be the first to go.Funny odd thing,life.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

David Bixenspan noted on Twitter that Warrior’s dad died at 57. Both grandfathers died at 52. Warrior was 54.

Advertisement